Tweets of Worcester v Ulster last night

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Tweets of Worcester v Ulster last night

Post by BR »

Big thanks to all those that made it possible.

Now I've been kicking around tinternet since there were news-groups and stuff. But I haven't got into any of this mobile technology stuff (my mobile is still of the robust brick variety - hey it does this cool thing where you can press some numbers on it and speak and people really far away can hear you AND not only that but - YOU can hear THEM too. It also has a facility where you can send WORDS, but I digress ...) So this twitter thing - I could read the tweets last night, but what would have been the advantage if I'd signed up to 'follow'?

Also I was wondering back to the idea of a phone conference - what would be the problem with someone with a skype enabled phone giving a voice commentary on a match?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Tweets of Worcester v Ulster last night

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
Also I was wondering back to the idea of a phone conference - what would be the problem with someone with a skype enabled phone giving a voice commentary on a match?
Can you have such a thing :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Like I said, I'm not up on phone technology, but I thought I read something about free mobile to VoIP calls (or 'free', as part of your normal data connection). As we discussed before, the problem may be finding a VoIP provider who can conference in a significant number of participants (IIRC Skype has quite a low limit (<10???) - but there may be a way to double up with a different users calling out to others) Is it even worth looking into?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
The FRU
Squire

Post by The FRU »

BR - I'm fairly new to twitter myself but the only advantage I can see with joining the community is that you could pool a lot of different messages together under your own twitter profile. If for example you had five friends who all tweeted match coverage and you were following them all you would see all their messages in your home page on twitter.

I haven't found a way of pulling several twitter feeds onto my site which is unfortunate as could get all my iPhone mates to send in reports throughout the game and you would get fairly comprehensive coverage. I tried to pool two feeds last night but only one would show so I just went with mikes.

With regards skype you would of course need some form of internet access and as that is the case it would be more effective to use an internet radio service to broadcast your commentary. I thought about doing it a few times but decided against as the language can get a bit fruity in a tight game.
Save the Cheerleader, Save Hollywood Mike!

http://thefrontrowunion.com
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The FRU wrote:
I haven't found a way of pulling several twitter feeds onto my site which is unfortunate as could get all my iPhone mates to send in reports throughout the game and you would get fairly comprehensive coverage. I tried to pool two feeds last night but only one would show so I just went with mikes.
will they feed together just through one of the twitters pages ? could the wordpress mod be the problem ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
The FRU
Squire

Post by The FRU »

Nothing to do with wordpress i'm just pulling in using html . It's that you have to be logged in to see all the activity of the people you are following and you can only view this on you own personal homepage which I suppose makes sense for privacy reasons!

I'll send you and fermain codes tomorrow and you can have a play around.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Had a remembering the past moment Dewi, may have a solution to this by a different method but still updatable by mobile, doing a few tests, will need internet enabled phone though don't think text message will work.
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

For multiple input (ie more than one iphone at the match) - then why not just use a regular blog page, and submit commentary via email? Although - I think Mike did a sterling job and would be pretty convinced having two or more people commentating would only confuse the issue - like when you're watching a match progress on the message board and 2 or 3 people post that a try has been scored - it's hard to know if we're 5 or 15 nil up (or down :cry: ).

Don't know anything about internet radio service :oops: sounds maybe more like what we'd need. I guess that a skype enabled mobile (and I admit I'm still not sure if only imagined that such a thing exists) would be enough to provide the upload to the server doing the broadcast - sht I really don't know what I'm talking about here, just bouncing ideas and random thoughts; time for bed.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:For multiple input (ie more than one iphone at the match) - then why not just use a regular blog page, and submit commentary via email? Although - I think Mike did a sterling job and would be pretty convinced having two or more people commentating would only confuse the issue - like when you're watching a match progress on the message board and 2 or 3 people post that a try has been scored - it's hard to know if we're 5 or 15 nil up (or down :cry: ).
Could well turn into jibberish as well when you add in beer :drunken:
BR wrote:Don't know anything about internet radio service :oops: sounds maybe more like what we'd need. I guess that a skype enabled mobile (and I admit I'm still not sure if only imagined that such a thing exists) would be enough to provide the upload to the server doing the broadcast - sht I really don't know what I'm talking about here, just bouncing ideas and random thoughts; time for bed.
You can enable mobile for skype, not sure how to broadcast though, perhaps through live video chat using msn or something
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

For the Worcester match last night, both Stu and myself were sending tweets to the same twitter account (uafctwit) using our iPhones. As far as I can tell, there is no issue with multiple users all sending tweets to the same account however everyone needs to know the password of the account to do this.

I set up the uafctwit account just for the game last night so it can be reused for this sort of thing if anyone else wants to have a go.

Regarding Skype on mobiles, 3 actually offer a number of mobiles that support Skype and these have free Skype to Skype calls. If you aren't on 3, a number of mobiles can support Skype clients (iPhone, some Windows Mobile and Nokia phones) but the mobile service providers often block Skype and other VoIP services on their 3G data services so they can only be used over wifi.
The FRU
Squire

Post by The FRU »

Mike - while several people may be able to write to one account using iPhone service I've only been able to assign one mobile number to my account.

BR I don't know if it's worthwhile perusing live coverage anyway as the remainder of Ulsters fixtures are going to be covered on TV and radio with the exception of Bath at home which is only going to be covered on radio. While I had 1300 and 1800 unique viewers for the Viadana and Worcester matches only 21 have so far registered an interest for it to continue throughout the season.

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

The FRU wrote:Mike - while several people may be able to write to one account using iPhone service I've only been able to assign one mobile number to my account.

BR I don't know if it's worthwhile perusing live coverage anyway as the remainder of Ulsters fixtures are going to be covered on TV and radio with the exception of Bath at home which is only going to be covered on radio. While I had 1300 and 1800 unique viewers for the Viadana and Worcester matches only 21 have so far registered an interest for it to continue throughout the season.

Well if it can be done for next-to-nowt, it may not be a bad thing to have the process in place for the next game without any regular broadcast. Better thinking about it now than 20 minutes before k.o.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

The FRU wrote:Mike - while several people may be able to write to one account using iPhone service I've only been able to assign one mobile number to my account.
Yes - we weren't using texts (SMS) to send the messages but a Twitter app on the iPhone that was logged into the service using the mobile data connection.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

:?
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Found an alternative chat system that was used behind scenes here when site was set up, it will work for multiple users but as FRU says remainder of matches will either be on radio or TV, it won't post directly on message board or FRU site though but through another webpage, just requires an internet enabled phone of any type, and you are then working on data charges but bandwidth is very low.
On the number of unique viewers I would take those with a pinch of salt FRU unless you can actually get a list of ip's , I've noticed on another Wordpress site that sometimes a page refresh will show as a unique user :roll: was working on a page one night and noticed I was being watched by several hundred "unique" viewers, yet no one else knew of the page or site.

The entire idea while it was novel, a bit of crack and also of use to those of us isolated at home cannot have been that easy or those doing it whilst trying to watch the match at the same time, could well be worthwhile again if we have any matches with no coverage.

On the video front mikerob has discovered how to snaffle the BBC iplayer stuff and put on YouTube, so along with what I swipe from Sky, Setanta and BBC televised matches we should have some video from every match.
The 2 iplayer videos from Newcastle and Viadana matches are online now quality not as good because of multiple processing between source and final destination but hope of use to Lanzaman, Setanta and all the others exiled around the world.
Both available at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUAFC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDBdbbIO-2Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2jz_u2j3sU
Rory Best