Forum Language

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

Conas
Novice

Forum Language

Post by Conas »

I mean you look at all the titles when you visit the forum, and it's hard to understand the language for someone who isn't from Ulster. View frae thae hill...anthems an aither teams..that's complete gibberish how can anyone understand that? I'm only a newbie and I have no right coming on here barking orders but to be honest it's terribly hard to understand. I'm just posting this to offer my opinion.
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Re: Forum Language

Post by moondance »

You have been on this site less than 24 hours.

Already you have told me that my comments are off topic and of no interest. Have you read all of the previous posts on that thread or related threads? Or the relevant previous posts from Porterbelly? I doubt it.

You have accused Grumpy of printing rubbish.

You have made statements about Andrew Trimble which the Irish international setup have proved to be complete rubbish, he is the fastest Irish player over 50m.

And now you have the nerve to start criticising the very board itself! If you don't like it, go start your own! The headings are easily understood by those who use it. We have posters from Munster, Leinster and Connacht, England,Scotland and Wales plus further afield. They can understand the headings, written as many people on this board speak -so the problem obviously lies with you!

But of course as you say , you are just a "newbie" - a gibberish term if ever I heard one.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Thanks for your comments Conas.
The target audience is Ulster mainly, and of course people who hail from Ulster, so the use of the 'colloquial' phrases was meant to represent 'Ulster Scots' and was an attempt at originality and customisation which seems to have worked well for many years now. TBH you are the first to ever question it. Maybe you're not sure which 'hill' is being talked about, I don't know, but most people seem to relate to the titles.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I've always thought they were amusing and a bit different and that anyone who stopped and thought for a minute should be able to work out the meaning of the titles. Maybe conas as a "newbie" you should just take your time to think about what you're reading and reflect before posting rather than putting your immediate reactions down in print each time. It will serve you better in the long run.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Conas
Novice

Post by Conas »

What is moondances problem? My comment was aimed at the moderators and not the general visitors to this site, and excuse me but "newbie" is not a gibberish word at all, it's a very really one, and everyone knows it. I read your post on the Gavin Duffy thread and I wanted to point out that you were going off topic. If I was wrong I refuse to apoligise because you have been very rude to me on this thread

I would like to thank Fermain for clearing up my query for me. I understand it now and I'm sure in time I'll get used to it. I would also like to thank Mr Moore for his words of advice.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

fermain wrote:Thanks for your comments Conas.
The target audience is Ulster mainly, and of course people who hail from Ulster, so the use of the 'colloquial' phrases was meant to represent 'Ulster Scots' and was an attempt at originality and customisation which seems to have worked well for many years now. TBH you are the first to ever question it. Maybe you're not sure which 'hill' is being talked about, I don't know, but most people seem to relate to the titles.
Aye, but it's not real Scotch is it? The use of the apologetic apostrophe , for example (not to mention the one in Raver's ).
Sno the way I spake! ;)

But then again, you don't go round to your mate's house for a couple of hours every night, watch his TV, drink his beer, and then tell him you dont like his wallpaper.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rob6
Initiate

Post by Rob6 »

BR wrote: But then again, you don't go round to your mate's house for a couple of hours every night, watch his TV, drink his beer, and then tell him you dont like his wallpaper.
depends on how many beers ya drink!! ;)
Hustle......Loyality......Respect

U...L....S...T...E...R...R...R...R...R...R...R

Don't Stop Believing!!!!!!!!

Supporting Ulster Rugby should come with a health warning!!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

moondance wrote:You have accused Grumpy of printing rubbish.
To be fair, he has a point .....

..... possibly the only one he has made that most can agree with, but a fair point, nonetheless!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Conas
Novice

Post by Conas »

I don't mean to be rude to Grumpy or anything but someone has to put him in his place. I don't play games, I tell it how it is..I was silenced on Leinsterfans for going on a foul mouthed, thrash talking rant. I had been drinking the night before though...but people don't like hearing the truth. I took similar action on munsterfans..now all they do is ignore me.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Conas

Now you're really stepping on dangerous ground - if you think you've had it hard since you arrived here, think again.

You really over-stepped the mark with this one:
Conas wrote:I don't mean to be rude to Grumpy or anything but someone has to put him in his place.
Get out now while you still stand a chance ..... I've got a WIFE to put me in my place .... don't mess with HER domain - you have been warned!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right