Italian satellite tv-help?

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Italian satellite tv-help?

Post by for dog and ulcer »

My son who lives in E.Belfast wants to install free to air Italian satellite tv in order to improve his Italian language skills. Where or what system can I get for him as a Christmas present? He will set it up, mount dish etc himself. He already has a SKY+ set-up. I can see a kit in Maplin's but the dish is only 46cm- is this sufficient? ANY HELP APPRECIATED.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: Italian satellite tv-help?

Post by cables »

Had a quick look at the satellite footprint for Hot Bird 6, 8, 9.

For a Belfast location it would seem that the 48 would be too small - below recommended.

Unless you can get tested and tried info, I would suggest a 65.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cables wrote:Had a quick look at the satellite footprint for Hot Bird 6, 8, 9.

For a Belfast location it would seem that the 48 would be too small - below recommended.

Unless you can get tested and tried info, I would suggest a 65.
HotBird 6 and 8 with a 90 cm dish 9 out of footprint
http://www.dishpointer.com/satellites/

Direction if you fill in address here and satellite
http://www.dishpointer.com/
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

The website http://www.lyngsat.com is a good resource with all the satellites and channels listed on them so for example these are the free Italian TV channels: http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Italy.html

RAI 1, 2 and 3 are on the satellite "Hot Bird 9" :) and there are a bunch of other Italian channels on "Hot Bird 6" and number of other satellites like Atlantic Bird 1. "Hot Bird 9" is at 13 degrees East and there are a number of calculators on the internet to determine where you should point the dish (Azimuth & elevation) based upon your latitude and longitude.

I don't know if 42" is big enough for a hot bird (phnarr, phnarr... ) but I suspect the bigger the better.

He'll also need a satellite receiver. You can manually program in channel settings to a Sky box (assuming the dish is pointed in the right direction) but you won't be able to record these so you may be better getting a Freesat receiver with hard drive for a TV or a satellite receiver to view and record using a PC.

All the big electronics retailers (Argos, Amazon, Maplins etc.) will sell freesat receivers but I don't have any particular recommendations.

The forum on the website digitalspy.co.uk is the place for hardcore techy questions.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Thanks for help Cables and Mikerob :salut: Very useful information indeed!! A BIT OVERWHELMED!! It will take me some time to digest it all. Rather more to it than I suspected!! I found this set-up for £75 plus £13 p and p- what do you think? There are packages advertised online specifically for Italian TV- at £149- is there any real difference? Or would it be better to buy a bigger dish and separate receiver and fittings etc?

Complete 60cm Satellite System

The 60cm Satellite Kit comes complete with everything you need to be able to watch hundreds of Free-to-air satellite TV channels, plus listen to over 100 radio stations anywhere in the UK and Eire, with more channels being added all the time. Also, receive 1000's of free foreign language stations by directing the satellite dish in different directions. FREE Satfinder meter. The 60cm dish will work for all of the UK and most of France.

Triax SR110 Satellite Receiver
* Wall Fixing Brackets
* Cable and Connectors
* Single LNB
* Satfinder Meter
* 60cm Mesh Satellite Dish
* Weather Boot
* Scart Lead
* Cable Clips
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

mikerob wrote: RAI 1, 2 and 3 are on the satellite "Hot Bird 9" :)
Wee girl in ice cream shop has Hotbird 9 but has a 1.5m dish to receive it, so it is possible as long as you are not surrounded by buildings as angle is pretty low.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

hotbird9.JPG
hotbird9.JPG (43.06 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Conflict of reports then cables with different sites :?
One thing sure is it is receivable, just dish size is the variable that is in dispute and also dogs location and possible problems of obstructions.

A phonecall to these guys could well be a good idea fdau
http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/hot.htm
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

If he is going to be using the dish for serious study, then a receiver with hard disk for recording would be very useful as he can do timed recordings of particular programs and rewind/replay to listen to stuff again. Having said that, it may be an idea to try a cheaper receiver or Sky box initially to see how things go.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Thanks for all the help guys- now I see a good reason for the usual Christmas presents- so much easier to buy socks and Bushmills!!