Digitalization and me tellies - can u help?

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Digitalization and me tellies - can u help?

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:Check out your tv well before you buy anything, I discovered last night that my Sony, 6 years old, has inbuilt freeview even though there was no mention of it when I bought it, .
You're the 2nd person to tell me that today.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
Rooster wrote:Check out your tv well before you buy anything, I discovered last night that my Sony, 6 years old, has inbuilt freeview even though there was no mention of it when I bought it, .
You're the 2nd person to tell me that today.
The remote was the give away to be honest, there was an Analog and a Digital button but since we just use the Sky remote had never even bothered checking it, last time it was used was to set up the tv originally.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

mikerob wrote:There is continual downward movement on prices for this type of kit anyway. A basic digibox that would have cost about £99 when Freeview launched 10 years ago will cost less than £20 now.
There should be Mike - but the DSO has caused a spike - the wee simple freeview boxes were little more than a tenner about 18 months ago - there now about £20.

I'd say a lot of people will be after the HD boxes (given the RTE situation), and I expect a lot of people will be dissapointed to learn that what they were (mis)sold as 'Full HD' TVs don't have HD tuners.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

BR wrote:Again - I would expect prices to tumble once the dust has settled.

Agreed...but he said he was buying one today....so best to get the keenest price
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

BR wrote:
mikerob wrote:There is continual downward movement on prices for this type of kit anyway. A basic digibox that would have cost about £99 when Freeview launched 10 years ago will cost less than £20 now.
There should be Mike - but the DSO has caused a spike - the wee simple freeview boxes were little more than a tenner about 18 months ago - there now about £20.

I'd say a lot of people will be after the HD boxes (given the RTE situation), and I expect a lot of people will be dissapointed to learn that what they were (mis)sold as 'Full HD' TVs don't have HD tuners.

My telly has a built in Freeview HD tuner, so it should get RTE coming up somewhere on the programme guide is this right? And also I'll be able to access the BBC HD channel and others as of October the 24th?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I don't know if anything will be visible on the program guide before 24th Oct, but after then you should be able to get the Freeview HD channels (BBC1 HD, BBC HD, C4 HD) as well as RTE 1, 2 and TG4.

Edit: if you are near to the border, you may be able to pick up all the Saorview channels already...however I really don't know what a box would do if it could receive both Saorview and Freeview HD. It may end up with RTE 1 being on 2 channels, for example.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

mikerob wrote:I don't know if anything will be visible on the program guide before 24th Oct, but after then you should be able to get the Freeview HD channels (BBC1 HD, BBC HD, C4 HD) as well as RTE 1, 2 and TG4.

Edit: if you are near to the border, you may be able to pick up all the Saorview channels already...however I really don't know what a box would do if it could receive both Saorview and Freeview HD. It may end up with RTE 1 being on 2 channels, for example.
Never tried looking for the RTE as we have it on sky, but we dont have sky hd so looking forward to getting a few HD channels without paying a 10sheet a month
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

browner wrote:

Agreed...but he said he was buying one today....so best to get the keenest price
Got one for £135.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
browner wrote:

Got one for £135.
The Sony you were looking at ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote: The Sony you were looking at ?
Yip, got it on ebay. £135.47 to be exact
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Snipe Watson wrote:
browner wrote:

Got one for £135.

Brand spanking? That's a good deal.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

mikerob wrote:Edit: if you are near to the border, you may be able to pick up all the Saorview channels already...however I really don't know what a box would do if it could receive both Saorview and Freeview HD. It may end up with RTE 1 being on 2 channels, for example.
I'm not sure if that is precluded by the choice of country in the initial set up (UK or Ireland), although if they're not going to broadcast RTE from Limavady, then you would expect there is a way to get around that.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I'm still not sure what to do - probably best to print out everything above and spend the weekend reading it - two or thee times i reckon.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
VanTheMan
Novice

Post by VanTheMan »

With all this good advice and help I've stopped counting how many pints HWM now owes. Could equate to a lifetime of pints bought for others by HWM! :wink:
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

For the avoidance of any doubt i should make it absolutely clear that here is only one pint up for grabs on this thread.
I have yet to make my decision as to who will get it.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh