Soundbars

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Soundbars

Post by rocky »

I'm looking for some advice about sounders.
I have a Sony Bravia TV, dating back to 2007 (I think) It's a KDL-46W2000 model - still going well. I want to get a sounder for it with a sub-woofer and Bluetooth connectivity.
Do I have to get a Sony sounder, or could I buy a Samsung or LG model, for example?
Will a modern sounder be compatible with an eight-year-old TV?
Any advice would be helpful, including recommendations for specific ones; I don't want to spend more than, say, £200.
Bo***cks to Brexit
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Soundbars

Post by damianmcr »

Does your TV have an optical out? Have a look in the manual and see if it can output sound via HDMI. Its called HDMI ARC or similar. I would say any brand would work. I can't offer any particular models sorry. If you work in Belfast take a spin to Richer Sounds.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I have on here Rocky & one in Spain. The one here is built into a large TV stand. I had a Sony Bravia at the time was looking for a stand & wanted a soundbar having been really impressed by the one I bought in Spain, a Yamaha.

The Sony one is good but I suspect a dedicated soundbar rather than a built in job would be better, I now have an LG TV used with it so there is no need to be brand loyal, they are compatible with any brand as far as I know. Damo is right, if your TV has an optical input that is the ideal connection I think though in Spain I am connection through HDMI & I think scart also.

When I bought the Yahama one in Spain they were pretty pricey and not that common but I suspect like most things electrical as more and more produce them & prices fall, you are likely to pick up something very decent within that budget. The sport setting is outstanding for the rugby, you'd nearly think you were there - as long as the broadcast is HD - i.e. not BBC2 NI. >ESAD

This is the one I got, no longer available it seems, useful for not having an extra box about the place, but not blutooth now I think of it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-RHTG550-CE ... roduct_top

As for sub-woofer, not strictly necessary as far as I am aware if the soundbar is good enough quality & several have them built in. I think my Yamaha has about 11 different speakers built in and the different range of sounds and ability to set it up to suit the room it is in is impressive. It came with a device you only use if you are setting it up or moving to a different location which helped set it up for the location in the room you were likely to sit in. :shock: Great kit all round, I love a soundbar me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I should have added, I reckon that it is worth paying at the top of your budget to get something as decent as you can, I have seen some very cheap that are tinny sounding, for a man like yourself who likes his music, it's worth not skimping, but of course you don;t have to spend a fortune either. My stand was about £360, the stand alone job in Spain about £250 on a good offer, but they were generally more expensive when I bought 4-5 years ago.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Rocky had a quick look and your TV doesn't seem to be best equipped with outputs. Do you use a Freeview or Sky box for example?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Just had a look on Richer sounds and seen this

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200531-htct370-black.aspx

Has Bluetooth as well. I'd ask for a demonstration if you wanted to test it out.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Rocky , would a hearing aid not be easier :duck:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

damianmcr wrote:Rocky had a quick look and your TV doesn't seem to be best equipped with outputs. Do you use a Freeview or Sky box for example?
Yes, I use a Sky box and a BluRay DVD player. There are two HDMI sockets and two scary sockets but I don't think there is an optical socket. There are a raft of phono type connections as well. I bought a Bose surround system at least 15 years ago but it is not working properly and must be obsolete. A new Bose system would cost a lot and I don't really need anything as good now.
The one you put the link to looks a good option. Thanks for your help, Damian.
And, Kofi, you're not far from the truth all right :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bo***cks to Brexit
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Ah rocky you are sorted then. The sound will come straight from each of them so don't be worrying about sound output from the TV. The soundbar should have a few HDMI inputs with only one output so you just change input on the bar instead of the the TV.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

rocky wrote:
damianmcr wrote:Rocky had a quick look and your TV doesn't seem to be best equipped with outputs. Do you use a Freeview or Sky box for example?
Yes, I use a Sky box and a BluRay DVD player. There are two HDMI sockets and two scary sockets but I don't think there is an optical socket. There are a raft of phono type connections as well. I bought a Bose surround system at least 15 years ago but it is not working properly and must be obsolete. A new Bose system would cost a lot and I don't really need anything as good now.
The one you put the link to looks a good option. Thanks for your help, Damian.
And, Kofi, you're not far from the truth all right :lol: :lol: :lol:
Might well be worth taking the Bose system to a repair man, there might actually be very little wrong with it
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Just thought of a good name for a thread 'first world problems'
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

In general, as TVs have got thinner, the sound has got worse as speakers need a bit of depth and space to create a decent sound.

I've looked at the spec of the TV and the best way would be to connect the Sky box and DVD to the soundbar using two HDMI cables (so the soundbar should have at least 2 HDMI connections) then connect the soundbar to the TV using a HDMI connection. This means you will use the soundbar remote to switch between Sky and DVD.

One thing to be aware of, is if you use the TV to view Freeview channels, then as the TV doesn't have a HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) connector, you will need a separate audio connection from the TV to the soundbar to play the Freeview channels through the soundbar. This will need to be one of the analog audio connectors on the TV (it probably be labelled as RCA audio out and there will be 2 plugs, usually one is red and the other white) The soundbar will also need to have an input for this type of connection.

+1 for Richer Sounds and their Belfast store does have a demo room as well.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

You can run the Sky box sound with an optical cable.
What you really need rocky is a couple of Marshalls :thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Running sound over the HDMI would be better Rooster.

Mike in stealing my thunder :-(
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:You can run the Sky box sound with an optical cable.
What you really need rocky is a couple of Marshalls :thumleft:
Currently banned!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

I have looked into this a bit further and am now wondering if a soundbase would be a better option. The Sony HT-TX1 looks good but I have no idea if it is a better option than the soundbar. Once again, thanks for your advice, everyone.
Bo***cks to Brexit