Mozilla.

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Mozilla.

Post by browner »

I use Mozilla as my browser for most things, but when i click onto watching some of the video highlights all i get is a page full of Japanese.
I can view them if i use internet explorer but i would prefer not to.
Can anybody help.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

hmm, the videos are in the windows media player format, so windows media player has to be on the machine that uses the internet, and also specified in the browser options to run these files automatically. IE does this for you. You may need to check your settings to run the videos from mozilla. I don't understand the Japanese though!
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!

Post by Guest »

Hi Browner (I see fermain has replied while I was still composing but I will post what I was going to anyway)

I do not run Mozilla and so I may not be able to help. I tried some searches but did not come up with your experience. It occurred to me that if we were to assist as a group (in the absence of any expert - sorry fermain - it was written before you posted!), then perhaps we should all access the same video clip.

I have chosen:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... efault.stm#

On the RHS of that screen you will see Video Sports News Bulletin

If I select that, I get a choice option (Windows Media Player or Real Player). Once you exercise an option it is stored as your preferred option. To opt for another option later you may have to delete your cookies although there may also be a better way somewhere.

I get it on WMP ok but I could not be bothered downloading the latest version of Real Player so I did not go that far. BBC preference seems to be for Real Player.

Do you know which of these you have on your machine? Hope this can start (continue now) down the road of assisting you. If not, don’t shoot the messenger!
Mid-Terrace
Novice

Re: Mozilla.

Post by Mid-Terrace »

browner wrote:I use Mozilla as my browser for most things, but when i click onto watching some of the video highlights all i get is a page full of Japanese.
I can view them if i use internet explorer but i would prefer not to.
Can anybody help.
There are some helpful hints and stuff at Mozilla's homepage - http://www.mozilla.org/support/
Mine's a pint!
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Fermain this is what i mean by Japanese..........

&²uŽfϦÙ&²uŽfϦÙ&²

uŽfϦÙ&²uŽfϦÙ&²uŽfϦÙ&²uŽfϦÙ&²uŽfϦÙ&²uŽfϦÙ&²uŽfϦÙ&²uŽfϦÙ&²uŽfϦÙ

many thanks to yourself, guest and MT for your tips.

Still trying to resolve this issue, but my patience is wearing thin. :?
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Browner, when I use Mozilla Firefox, and I click on the video file, a box pops up; it says...

You have chosen to open (filename)
which is a windows media/ audio video file.
What should Firefox do with this file?

it then gives some options, the default is to open the wmvfile using windows media player. This is the one I chose, and it worked okay.
OR
It asks if you want to save the file to the hard disk.

Perhaps there might be a later version of Firefox you could download, or something in your settings to allow this box to appear.

fermain
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

One question,

what are the advantages of using an alternative browser such as mozilla? When would you consider it over the bog standard IE/Netsacpe jobbies?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Perhaps use it as a good ulternative to the doom laden, devil spawn software that is Microsoft (well, some people might say that!!) I have both on my PC :D
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Browner if it is the video highlights from this site they will open in either Windows Media Player or Real Player if they are set to recognise .wmv files it will also open in any of the viewers in Linux systems if they recognise .wmv files. I have tested them in all of these and have had no problems :?
I use Firefox version 1.0.4 and the box fermain talks about gives you the option to open using whicever player you have on system, and the option of setting it to always open using your choice.
If it's the BBC videos I have had bother unless I use Real Player.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

thanks fermain. I was looking for practical advantages rather than ones of principle. :twisted:

Anyway, now that Saint Bob (Geldof) has publically praised Mr Gates on the stage at Live 8 surely Microsoft have become one great cuddly corporation of lurve radiating peace and love and happiness throughout the globe :flower:
Paul.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

For us mere mortals on dial up it is a lot faster to load pages in Firefox also easier to cut out graphics and ads which slow down pages loading, not a problem if you have broadband and you probably would not notice the difference Paul.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Thanks Rooster.... 8)
Paul.

colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Paul

Another reason for using Firefox is that as approx 95% of PCs use IE that tends to be the one the virus writers aim for. Firefox seems to be a lot less likely to pick up these nasty germs!

I've been using it for some time now (and also recently started using Thunderbird which is the Mozilla version of Outlook Express) and certainly have found both to be much more stable than Microsoft products.

(Latest version of Firefox is, I believe 1.0.6)

Take it the small cheese will be at Campbell next week for a grand reunion.

Post by Guest »

Tabbed browsing is one of the best features of Firefox. IE is due to include it in a future edition.

Firefox has a much better rendering engine than IE which is why it displays pages faster. I notice the difference even on 1024 Mbps broadband.

Opera is another nice, fast, browser for both Windows and Linux.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

yep colin. The cheese is all fired up and ready to go... :D
Paul.