DISASTER!!

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

DISASTER!!

Post by ultimate ulster chick »

fermain, I know this is meant to be posts re problems with this website, but my computer appears to have just fallen apart and I need some help. Yesterday evening every website I visited that my details are saved on (like ebay, amazon, this website etc) seemed not to have any usernames entered in them.

Then when I switched my computer back on before I went to bed, it said:
Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - Error performing inpage operation.
And now it's doing the same this morning. It logs me in as a guest so my whole hard drive (that might not be the right word) is wiped - ie all my documents have disappeared from my computer...help!!!!!!!! :shock:

PS- I handed my coursework in a few days early so at least it's not as bad as it might have been, but I still appear to have lost all my work at uni for the past 3.5 years...

Any help much appreciated...
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Don't panic too much chick. It is unlikely that your files are actually wiped from your disk it is more liklely that your user profile is corrupted so that it can't log you in correctly. Once you find a way to log in you should be able to access your data.

I've encountered a few similar type experiences in the past few months with XP. There are ways to recover your data OK

What operating system are you using?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

UUC sounds like you are logging on to your computer under a different profile, if you are running XP?

If not, and running XP, try a system restore, go to start-help and support-pick a task-sytem restore, and choose a date when everything was OK?
"Cheer up" he said "It could get worse", so I cheered up, and it got worse...
ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

Yes, it's XP I've got, and yes SolidAir it's saying it can't log me in on my user profile, all the programs I had on my user area are here, but there are no documents or photographs anywhere...

So, how to I get back into my user profile? (it's my laptop so there are no other users on the computer)
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

OK, assuming that you have 'logged on' under whatever profile, as you can post here and programs are showing, go to START--MY COMPUTER, what folders are shown in the Files Stored On This Computer, are your documents there?
ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

No, it's just got the shared documents - you know those 4 pictures every computer has on them, and the shared music bit, all my own files and folders are gone.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I'm not at home so I can't check this out - but from memory.......

First you create a new user account and give it system admin privileges.

Then log in and double-click on the "my computer" icon on your desktop. you should then be able to see your main disk drive. probably labelled as (C: )

select that. note - you may have to click on a show-files link if this is also the main system disk.

You on that disk drive you should be able to find a directory called profiles - double click this and it should show you all the user areas for your machine your documents should all be in "\profiles\my-username\My Documents" where my-username is the account name you used to log in under

Best to copy your data to CD first to protect it. Then you can try to move it to your new account ID or copy it back from CD.

I hope this helps....
Paul.

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

ultimate ulster chick wrote:No, it's just got the shared documents - you know those 4 pictures every computer has on them, and the shared music bit, all my own files and folders are gone.
I'm fairly sure you won't see anything but shared document unless your new account has system admin privileges
Paul.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Chick if it starts up at all your hard drive is fine and all is still there, just a matter of finding it
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

OK, under System Restore, which I hope you have enabled!! It will allow you to restore your system settings, drivers, user profiles etc etc, back to a date when all was fine with the world. While online go to start, help and support, as above, and choose system restore, it should give you options as to a workable restore setting, don't do anything, check the dates, if enabled(!!) and post back.

Don't panic though, all your files will still be there, it's just having difficulty 'recognising' who you are, bit like Goody on a Friday night
ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

Thanks guys...going to try and log into this new user account.

But the only options i have for the type of account are:

Computer Administrator and Limited. Do I need to change my old profile to Limited??
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

No just make the new one Admin
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

UUC you could also check manually your user profiles by opening the Start menu, right-click My Computer, and select Properties. When you see the System Properties dialog box, select the Advanced tab. Then, locate and click the Settings button in the User Profiles section.

Have a look at the profile and see if and when it has been modified in any way.

Can then look at copying profile with admin rights.
ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

Ah, it's all ok everyone...

...panic over!!!! That system restore thing solved it Solid Air, I put my computer back to Saturday so it's fine! Now I need to work out how to really make it Saturday which gives me 2 more days revision for my first exam on Wednesday!!!

Thanks for all your help!

:D
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

That system restore thing solved it
Can imagine Mr Gates thinking just that!!

Glad to hear all OK, computers can be a right pain sometimes, but sure where would we be without them...................
Last edited by Solid Air on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.