Home Page

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Home Page

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Is it just me, or is anyone else baffled by the fact that right in the middle of the uafc.co.uk home page, occupying top spot, is the archipelago feature... which right now is several months out of date... last article is on 99 cup win, other topics are autumn internationals, preview for (1st) leinster game, and a feature on our much discussed 10.

:thumbdown:

i enjoy reading these when they're published, but they are rarely updated.

cant something better be done with this spot?
up to date match reports for instance, or breaking news - linking straight from ulsterrugby.com? spot to link to the videos which (forum aside) must be one of the more popular features on this site.
article of the day from various journos...
joke of the day feed, ulster rugby image of the day/week feed, something like this?
use it for competitions - league table for predictions league, advertise proze draws, caption comps...?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Home Page

Post by fermain »

The Archipelago has been too busy to write much lately... his care staff have been on the ball recently, and he's been unable to get out of his padded call.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
cant something better be done with this spot?
up to date match reports for instance, or breaking news - linking straight from ulsterrugby.com? spot to link to the videos which (forum aside) must be one of the more popular features on this site.
article of the day from various journos...
joke of the day feed, ulster rugby image of the day/week feed, something like this?
use it for competitions - league table for predictions league, advertise proze draws, caption comps...?
You volunteering :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

you giving me admin authority to the site then???
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:you giving me admin authority to the site then???
It's seperate from the message board. :lol:
Write a few articles and .................................
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

i might give it a bash, the archipelago might have a rival in the whiteknightoftheweld!

problem with writing articles is that once they're even a few days old, they're old news.
ie you could have a few guys contributing, and even at that stuff will get a bit stale.

dont get me wrong re: the articles that are there - great reading. im just highlighting, through nobody's fault, that whats there currently is out of date.

is there for example a way of getting ulsterrugby.com news to appear on feed on uafc.co.uk homepage - even if its not groundbreaking data its still kept relatively fresh. if it can be done with irfu...
permissions required for this - would ur give? or is it just an rss or equivalent feed?

as said, not criticising whats there from a content viewpoint, and i appreciate the time involved to maintain and update.
just feel that with limited time and resources that those who maintain the site have, that a small bit of jiggery piggery could make the homepage look like its more up-to-date
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

RSS feeds have been talked about before, but so far have not been added.
The UR sories that link through IRFU are simple as both sites are maintained by Sotic and the databases will be linked to automatically place certain news stories from UR directly onto IRFU pages, or so I would assume.
Permission to link direct to UR stories and have them appear on the front page though would be a different matter, yes it could easily be done on an individual story basis but would they permit it or would we want to do it ?????
This is an independant site owned and mostly run by fermain in his spare time, a couple of others help with updates at times and some of the articles are provided by others.
We do put URSC stuff and some announcements from UR on at times at the request of URSC, thefru.co.uk also do similar and both do it as a possible help to some fans that read here instead of digging through the UR site for info which can get lost to the archives easily as they update the site with about 10 or more articles per week leaing the occasional or weekly reader missing out on things that could well be of interest, so you see too many updates can also lead to problems.
Front page is usually updated with match squads and reports weekly here but a combination of laptop meltdown and me not at home/busy left it a bit sparse over the past 2 matches.
Rory Best
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

:cry: I need a new laptopppppppp!
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!