Super 15 2012

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Super 15 2012

Post by breakdown »

Not long until my second favourite Rugby Competition kicks off (First favourite of course being the HEC), and what a way to start with our mates from Blues playing Crusaders! :cheers:

Will anyone be watching? Bound to be a few who, despite the early Kick Off times do enjoy it.

Early days I know but do you think Reds have the best chance of winning? Crusaders seem terrific this year judging from their pre season games.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Re: Super 15 2012

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

always the crusaders

reds i cannot help feel punch a bit above their weight.
cooperman wont live up to the hype again

actually fancy the rebels to give a good account of themselves this year
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Rebels won't get far but won't do bad, O'Connor and Beale signed for them am I right?
Last edited by breakdown on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Would be good to see the Crusaders winning it before they send their coaching outfit up to us :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

And before Carter and McCaw come with them 8) ..... I wish
UlsterBok
Novice

Post by UlsterBok »

breakdown wrote:Not long until my second favourite Rugby Competition kicks off (First favourite of course being the HEC), and what a way to start with our mates from Blues playing Crusaders! :cheers:

Will anyone be watching? Bound to be a few who, despite the early Kick Off times do enjoy it.

Early days I know but do you think Reds have the best chance of winning? Crusaders seem terrific this year judging from their pre season games.
I am really looking forward to the Super 15. The Blues v Crusaders game was an amazing match last year and I hope for a similar encounter this year. The Crusaders are always an incredible side, and I think Matt Todd at 7 will fill the void of McCaw, the only question mark for me is whether young Tyler Bleyendall can step up and play 10. I think he is an outstanding prospect and should do, but he is still relatively young. I would back the Crusaders to be top of the pile again and probably go on to win it.

As for the Auzzie sides, i think the Reds will be up there, but I think they might struggle a bit without Cooper, but that said they still have quality players in Digby Ioane, Will Genia, Horwill etc so they wil be up there competing. The Rebels will be interesting and I think they will be more competitive particualrly with O'Conner and Beale but their real problem will be in the forwards.

Potentially the most exciting conference and evenly matched one will be the South African grouping. The Bulls have had a mass exodus and are going through a rebuilding phase and I think they will struggle without the leadership that has been so prevalent in past years. My tip would be the Lions in this conference - they are experiencing something of a resurgence under John Mitchell, ex Force coach, and they will play a sort of NZ brand of rugby.
If you are interested in this conference keep an eye out for a few players here. At the Bulls watch out for the centre pairing of Francois Venter and Sadie, particularly against the Sharks this weekend. Venter is still u21 and is a very strong runner and Sadie has a real eye for the gap. In the Stormers game against the Hurricanes on Saturday watch out for young Eben Etzebeth a monstrous lock who could go far as well as the most 'Ginger' of all rugby players Steven Kitshoff at loosehead prop, still just 19 and in his second season of Super Rugby. Nizaam Carr could also come off the bench and be a real threat.
If you have time to see the Cheetahs v Lions game on Saturday look out for teenage sensation for the Cheetahs Johan Goosen who will be playing at 10, and the lightning quick Rocco Jansen at 11, whilst for the Lions they have a great young hooker in Callie Visagie and number 10 Elton Jantjies.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

We follow the results and usually watch the occasional game @ CIYMS if the timings are right. I support Reds first (cousin lives in Brisbane) and Western Force second and after that it's just whoever has the best Cheerleaders. Might watch a bit more this year as junior can now get his grandads Sky Sports on his laptop which he can then plug into telly somehow - all too hightec for me to do but probably means that if junior is about then the telly will come on a lot of weekend mornings at a much earlier hour than usual.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

I dont have sky sports but I generally watch the games when I have time of Uni or other work and can find a deceent stream, or I know someone else that will be watching. Crusaders will the pick of a good bunch again this season I reckon. Crusaders - Blues final
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Big fan, just wish it wasnt on so bloody early in the morning.

Stormers fan. Lost a few decent players and havnt really brought too many in replacements so could be another long year.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Im dont really have a 'favorutie' S15 team as it is as I dont see it much but I enjoyed watching the Rebels/Brumbies last year, and the Rebels made two very good signings so they could be decent this season
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

Love it, Blues all the way, my brother is a season ticket holder so i tune in to watch good rugby and maybe see him in the crowd.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

I kind of like watching the chiefs, purely as they produce great scores, and there defence is so poor they conceed mental tries too.

But sharks and stormers are good reliable teams. Interested in seeing how the lions do this year.
Why? Why not?
Mr Frosty
Initiate

Post by Mr Frosty »

Never really watch more than a couple games normally but plan to watch a bit more this year. To make it more intresting going support one team in each of the conferences to support Reds - cousins live in brisbane, Blues - afoa and payne from them and to see how kaino goes and Sharks - mate from SA supports them
Till youve tasted Frosty's you don't know jack
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Don't really have a favourite team but with Ulster's fondness for going back to the same spot for players will keep the usual interested eye on Sharks & now Blues of course.

For a winner its so easy just to say Crusaders so - Crusaders it is then.

Less gritty than HC, less arsey refs than Pro12, usually makes for entertaining viewing with scant regard paid to irrelevances like forward passes, but hey at least its not sevens. Looking forward to it & at my age the early mornings aren't an issue.

Anyway, thats what Sky+ is for.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

What a game that opener was! Rene Ranger is a monster
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.