G'day from W.A.

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

Cobber
Novice

G'day from W.A.

Post by Cobber »

G'day Folks,

Thanks for the kind welcome! We are heading into a bit of a dry spell for our local rugby and I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing/reading many more games like the weekends against Toulouse, esp. the first half! Top effort by the Men in White, and here's to more of the same against Llanelli this weekend!

So what should I tell you about the Western Force?

We are the newest Super14 team, based in Perth, Western Australia. We have the biggest member base of all the Super 14 clubs - ~ 24,000 members! We came last in our inaugural year, but against all odds managed to draw against the top of the ladder team in the 11th round! (I wish I had some money on that!) We have just recruited 2 of the brightest young starts in Australian rugby in Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell. Our coach is John Mitchell, the ex All Black who got unceremoniously dumped after the last world cup, and who also coached the English Forwards for a year. Our best player for 2006 would have to be Scott Staniforth. He was the last of the inaugural 33 man squad and was bought back from London Irish (where he went after being dropped by the NSW Waratahs) to play for the Force. Not only was he voted the TWF (TheWholeForce.com) player of the year, he was voted Club player of the year by his peers and also was the countries leading try scorer for the 2006 season! Scott has 2 brothers also playing rugby, Graydon Staniforth is over your way playing for the Glasgow Warriors and Nigel Staniforth was over your way a few weeks back - I believe he was in the NSW Waratahs Development team that played Ulster-A.

2007 should be a good year for us, and 2008 will see us in the finals. Coach John Mitchell has always said its a 3 year plan, and we are all backing him 100%.

The best thing about the Western Force is that they are new. They are the first professional rugby team to be based out of Perth (which is an Australian Rules Football town) and we have a rare opportunity to create a distinct rugby culture here in Perth.

Australian rugby supporters are for the most part, average. A culture of disrespect for the opposition on the field (and even for ones own team) is pervasive; one of our provinces - Queensland - even promoted "booing" certain player at matches after they left the club for another team! This is something we at TheWHoleForce.com would like NOT to happen in our town. It is in this endeavor that I would like to ask for your help! Songs, chants, traditions - anything you have to offer which may help us put a bit of soul into our supporters and players would be appreciated.

Anyways - that well enough of a rant for now! Thanks again for the welcome!
If you are interested, you'll find below links to a clip which has every try in order scored by the Force in 2006.
Low Res Force Tries ~5MB
Med Res Force Tries ~ 13MB
High Res Force Tries ~ 30MB

If you want to see more, each try (from the first phase of play up till the ball is grounded) can individually be downloaded from THIS forum on TWF .

Scott Staniforth in Action
15 Positions, 80 Minutes
:D

Post by Guest »

Hey all,
I am also a Western Force Suporter and I was sent here from TWF (TheWholeForce.com).

Just wanted to say hi :P
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

whoops just turned guest posting off there... forgot.

Welcome to the UAFC messageboard You'll find a warm welcome here especially when we know who you are :D
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

cheers cobber!!! welcome aboard :bowdown: looking forward to some shared support over the next few seasons!!! :D
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

You are very welcome from the land down under ....... good to see our great game invading Western Australia in a big way
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
hayden(pruc)
Novice

Post by hayden(pruc) »

hey.... i too am a force supporter and was sent here from (thewholeforce.com) looking forward to learning about our new club:)
father: son do u no u play the game in heaven?
son: no?... i dunt play beachvolley !!!!!
father: oh:( that would b right
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

any chance this could mean a wee trip to Aus to watch a super 14 game?
Burgs
Novice

Post by Burgs »

Greetings to all from central Western Australia folks!
Have been knocking around with the Force crew (thewholeforce.com that is) from the earlier days and am looking forward to learning more about my newly adopted NH team and the things that makes Ulster what it is.
Cheers,
Burgs
:cowboy:
Flat-top
Novice

Post by Flat-top »

cjp, it seems hard enough to get a good crowd over to Llanelli let alone Perth, but I do like your style.

I was lucky to see the Force play The Stormers and the Bulls at the beginning of last season and although rugby doesn't really lend itself to being played in an oval stadium the experience at Subiacco was just amazing. Distances between each city/state/province tends to mean that the crowd in Perth will always be hugely partizan but when there is upwards of 20-30k almost all kitted out in the blue colours of the Force, and under the floodlights it is an experience not to forget.

Won't make it back this season so will have to settle for downloads of all the games from Aussietorrents.com but am already planning my visit in March 2008. It helps having family out there and a niece who bless her is arranging her wedding at the time of year that will allow her favourite uncle a chance to watch the rugby.

Carn the Force and Ulster.
the lone hydrangea
Novice

Post by the lone hydrangea »

All Ulster crew are welcome to visit us in Perth. Let us know and we can catch up and have a pint or 2. You to Fat-Top, you gobby bugger :)
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Welcome Burgs. You may not have noticed, but you are the 500th registered user on this site.

Don't be expecting a prize however!

With a 24,000 member base in Perth, we could well go to 1,000 soon here. :wink:
Flat-top
Novice

Post by Flat-top »

the lone hydrangea wrote:All Ulster crew are welcome to visit us in Perth. Let us know and we can catch up and have a pint or 2. You to Fat-Top, you gobby bugger :)
Does this mean I get to sledge you on both sides of the world now TLH :P

Just be careful how many pints your offering, there is a good chance they will get taken up.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

COBBER ----- On our brief but very enjoyable visit to Perth in june we did make it to the Subiacco but unfortunately , either due to alcohol induced memory loss (which seemed to occur down under on quite a regular basis) or else their total absence from the ground, i have no recollection of seeing any Cheerleaders at the Oz v Ire game on 24 June. Can u inform us whether or not the situation improves at other times of the year in Perth? Photographic evidence wud b appreciated.

The Ulster public has a rite 2 no.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ultimate ulster chick »

how did I guess a post by HWM would ask about cheerleaders?? :? :lol: :lol:
Disco Biscuit
Squire

Re: G'day from W.A.

Post by Disco Biscuit »

Cobber wrote:G'day Folks,
If you are interested, you'll find below links to a clip which has every try in order scored by the Force in 2006.
Hi Cobber, tlh, Burgs, hayden & Guest welcome on board. :salut:

Excellent video coverage Cobber :lol: