16th Player

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

16th Player

Post by cables »

Judging by his Avatar, Burgs seems to have bought into the idea of supporter power at games!

He also seems to be the Stato down in Perth.

Do you have a 2nd Barrier Crew (or equivalent) in Perth Burgs?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Burgs
Novice

Post by Burgs »

Hey Cables, I am going to have to make two assumptions in answering so please correct me if I'm off track!
Stato= Statistician?
2nd Barrier Crew= A supporter group with a designated area?

Re Stats, I can assure you that there is a very big pile of Excel sheets in my computer mate, all of that guff could definately not fit in my little puddle of a brain :D
I do enjoy (in most instances) knowing the facts behind an argument though and while they don't always tell the "truth" stats do provide the "facts" as a starting point to a debate.

Re 2nd Barrier, currently there is no sectioned off area for a dedicated supporter group, though I understand that the Force are looking to organising something like that for the future.
There is such a high demand for good Membership Seats that they have been able to get away without having to be too inovative with their marketing etc.
There is a group from within TWF who have a section of seats high up in one corner but it started as a group of mates rather than anything official.

In general: The Force has been an amazing success and hugely embraced in Western Australia and I'm sure that many in the rest of the country found it quite a shock that we would get behind the team so rapidly and vocally. What we may lack in chants and heritage we have certainly made up for in spirit and parochial support!
You may have heard, the Force achieved a membership of some 23,000 head in our first year where the previous Australian record held by the Brumbies was around 12,000.
In making their submission to the ARU and SANZAR I believe that the WA delegation had originally budgeted for only 4,000!
We have shown Australia how to run a Rugby franchise in 2006, now in 2007 it is time to get that off field and recruiting success ont the Park and the scoreboard.
70 days to go!!!!!!
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Yes Burgs stato = statisician (in the sports stats sense) and is often also referred to as an anorak in these parts. I keep some stats myself so I guess I am one also.

The 2nd Barrier Crew (2BC) is a loose association of fans who ‘met’ through the Ulster Rugby Messageboard. Some do not stand at a particular barrier or even any barrier and it has been known for some even to sit!

There is however a chapter of the 2BC who coagulate on the Terrace facing the Stand at Ravenhill. Their position would normally be below and to the right of the half-way line camera position. By their activities (and dress) they have attracted others (groupies?) to the general area where they stand and flag (fleg) waving, community singing, chants, banter, sledging and witty comments are led at least in part by that grouping.

Like within the Force supporters, there is nothing official but many of the 2BC crew are also involved in the Ulster Rugby Supporters Club (URSC). It was at the first supporters club AGM, I believe, that many met each other for the first time.

Both Harrison and Steinmetz have been press-ganged by the crew to wear 2BC shirts for photo opportunities.

Any of the 4 Irish Provincial Teams would love to have a 23,000 membership. Your population in Perth (1.5 M) would be approaching the population of NI but I do not have the Stats for the other 3 counties of Ulster. There would be few who would travel to Belfast from the distant parts of Monaghan and Donegal for a game I suspect. I could never see us achieving a membership of 23,000.

With 23,000 as your 16th man at your home games, you should be able to compete well. Good luck in your quest.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Go for it Burgs.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Cobber
Novice

Post by Cobber »

The "official" western force folk are yet to have a forum, or a fan club for that matter. When TWF questioned them in the early days re: a fan club, the official line was "our members are our fans - we don't need to provide or service a fan club" I bet that comes back to hauntthem!!

So TheWholeForce is pretty much the 2BC I guess, I don;t think we wiull have much impact till we get out own rectangular stadium - but we are growing in size all the time, and when we do - the beaurocrats that run the rugby team won't know whats hit them :D
15 Positions, 80 Minutes
:D
the lone hydrangea
Novice

Post by the lone hydrangea »

Cobber wrote:The "official" western force folk are yet to have a forum, or a fan club for that matter. When TWF questioned them in the early days re: a fan club, the official line was "our members are our fans - we don't need to provide or service a fan club" I bet that comes back to hauntthem!!

So TheWholeForce is pretty much the 2BC I guess, I don;t think we wiull have much impact till we get out own rectangular stadium - but we are growing in size all the time, and when we do - the beaurocrats that run the rugby team won't know whats hit them :D
Go Cobber!