Schoolboy tackling

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Schoolboy tackling

Post by Rooster »

Lanzaman wrote:
I have had the same problem with our U14s who were copying the tackles they had seen on TV, not realising how dangerous they could be. A quick chat on how, if it happened to them, they could spend the rest of their life in a wheelchair seemed to put a stop to it. High / dangerous tackles result in the offender sitting out the rest of the training session.
I like your style Lanzaman, perhaps IRFU could issue similar guidelines to all concerned and school refs bin all high tackles to sort this out.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Lanzaman wrote:
I have had the same problem with our U14s who were copying the tackles they had seen on TV, not realising how dangerous they could be. A quick chat on how, if it happened to them, they could spend the rest of their life in a wheelchair seemed to put a stop to it. High / dangerous tackles result in the offender sitting out the rest of the training session.
I like your style Lanzaman, perhaps IRFU could issue similar guidelines to all concerned and school refs bin all high tackles to sort this out.
Mini coaches are worse. I nearly came to blows with a geezer when I asked him to replace a player after his third high tackle in the first half. His colleague eventually told him to wind his neck in and that I was right. It emerged later in the club that the colleague was the father of the cub.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by 29xThePain » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:40 pm

I was stupid enough to attempt a tackle a bit too high on a player a lot bigger than me at uni last year. The result, broken nose. A minor knock, although I haven't played rugby since as I'm not confident in my tackling technique.
29 times the pain indeed?

You just sound like a little bitch now.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

29xThePain wrote:someone earlier in the thread, think it was you Snipe, that mentioned that kids at junior and schoolboy level don't want to tackle low, a statement I would 100% agree with.

One of our teachers at Belfast Boys' Model always encouraged us to tackle low, to the point where he was hopping up and down the touchline. Whether the kids like it or not, tackling is an important part of the game, and tackling low will stop anyone.

I was stupid enough to attempt a tackle a bit too high on a player a lot bigger than me at uni last year. The result, broken nose. A minor knock, although I haven't played rugby since as I'm not confident in my tackling technique.

29 that is normally how you learn,albeit the hard way,if you are not confident 9 times out of 10 you will be injured,back your self and your support players coming in to help you, and the next time you go to tackle get the timing right,and make the tackle on your own terms,do that a few times until you get it right [practice it in training even walking thru the tackle] your confidence will grow and you will enjoy the game more.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23943642

Still feel for his parents , teachers and youth coaches have a great responsibility ,when you send your kids to school in the morning you expect them to be in good care.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”