2012 schools Cup.

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: 2012 schools Cup.

Post by breakdown »

Very good final from a neutral perspective, well done to Ballyclare, never gave up but Methody were just that bit better than them in most departments.

Rory Winters (methody openside) has to get academy next year, had a brilliant game. Methody 15 was good as well.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Methody thoroughly deserved their victory in a great schools cup final against a good Ballyclare side. I thought Methody were stronger all over the park and their defensive work in the second half was outstanding. Paddy Calhoun showed his pace with numerous electric breaks throughout the game and James Harrison did the hard yards in defense in the second half. Dan Bingham was man of the match for me as he put in a fantastic defensive performance. Mark Gribben is an incredibly strong centre who gave the Ballyclare defense a really hard time and never failed to make the hard yards. The youngsters in the side showed great maturity ie Michael Lagan at 1, Conor McKee at 14 and Ruddy Benade at 15 and it's brilliant to see them lift the schools cup in only their first go in 5th year.
Ballyclare can hold their heads high as they battered away at Methody in the second half and gave it everything but they faced a stone wall Methody defense that was giving nothing away. My thoughts are with the young Ballyclare player stretchered off late in the second half and I wish him a speedy recovery.
My congratulations go out to young Rory Winters who led by example today and he did his coach proud..a special " well done " to NK and the rest of the coaching staff and senior squad members who put in such long hours in all weathers at the home of schools rugby..Pirrie Park. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
FRB
Initiate

Post by FRB »

As a Ballyclare former pupil I am obviously disappointed but the best team won. It was a fast paced, full blooded game - great to watch. BHS lacked accuracy in the 1st half and MCB dealt much better with the wind, the ocassion (they appeared nerveless even if they weren't) and took their chances. The MCB defence was very impressive, it had to be at times especially at 14 men and BHS exerting some pressure.

Like Mr Pastie I hope the Ballyclare LHP makes a full recovery.

Also, I don't know if the coverage made the TV but the BBC camera crew shoving their lens in the face of the MCB player who was sinbinned was a disgrace. Even the BHS supporters were telling them to leave the fella alone. In the end I think UR media people also had a word.

Final word - congrats to MCB. :salut:
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

FRB, kind words mate and I honestly believe Ballyclare were a credit to their school,supporters and families. It's a long hard season of toil and sacrifice on behalf of the lads involved and their parents to get to that stage were a schools cup run comes together. Ballyclare showed their credentials with fantastic victories against Armagh, RBAI and then Wallace before facing Methody in the final. Finals are always about fine margins and Methody just had that little bit more today when it easily could have been the other way. The young Ballyclare lads should hold their heads very high when they walk into school tomorrow..they deserve it.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The key moment was when the BHS blindside kicked the Methody player on the ground and should have been carded. The Seige was about to be lifted, but it wasn't and the rest is history.
Beattiespastie you are a shockingly :cyclopsani: Methody man .
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Methody 4 was very good I must admit, good pace for a lock
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

2012 schools Cup.

Post by shamalicious »

breakdown wrote:Methody 4 was very good I must admit, good pace for a lock
Thought that myself. Like a young Ritchie Gray.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Totally agree about the intrusive mobile camera man. If one of the players or coaches had chinned him, it would have been well deserved.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Yes Snipe...fair comment :D
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Dan Bingham played at 4 and was my man of the match...he's a great big lad and this was his last year at the school and his first in the first 15. Dan has great pace and can play in any position but as a second row he was outstanding yesterday.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Didn't look that tall though.
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

Daughter at the game so no way dad was going to be let go...

So had to suffer the TV coverage - if you think Gusher is bad commentating on an Ulster match, he's even worse at this level - couldn't even remember the MCB captain's name or how many minutes there are in a half...

Mind you, Mr Kerr the ref ran him close in the eedjit of the day stakes - I understand from work collegaues still playing that he has previous in dodgy decison making...
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Good game and some promising young players. Too early to say who would make the grade though, most will either not put in the graft and drop out for other priorities or not fill out. Early twenties provides a better picture. Carters, Norths and Tuilagis don't grow on every tree. Thought the consistent drill of the Methody boys was a big compliment to their coaches. Do they actually have time to study at all? :mrgreen:
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

An average enough final with Coulhon at lower 6th looking very promising, I thought Gallgher at 8 looks like he will follow his two brothers into getting representative honours. Gribben looked quite good but hopefully he isn't another Michael Allen, exceptional at school and then never really progressed to have the same impact in senior rugby.

When you compare that final to the Leinster Schools final, there is no comparison though, we are still a long way behind where they are.
Koonak
Novice

Post by Koonak »

Well deserved win for Methody boys. Each player was a credit to the team and to the school - MCB have every right to be very proud of their 1st XV 2012 side. As of course should Ballyclare they kept up pressure right until the end - some very good individual players there with a great future. That being said I think the 2012 side of MCB will produce some very promising future rugby stars! Every credit to the coaching staff of MCB for both the 1st XV and Medallion Shield.