Schools Cup 2014

ny and all to do with skules

Moderators: The Fonz, Dude, Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:20 am

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by Big-al » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:52 pm

kingofthehill wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:No big build up, no big egos... Methody by far the better side in every department....a fantastic treble from a fantastic squad..... So proud!!!!
Very true.

MCB's road to the final compared to Sullivan's was in opposite ends of spectrum. I don't think Sullivan would of beat Wallace or RBAI.

Hopefully that is the end of the MCB juggernaut.
Who are the favourites for next year?

Moiraman
Novice
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:53 pm
Location: Moira

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by Moiraman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:24 pm

breakdown wrote:Conor McKee has been brilliant, must be nailed on for the academy next year. Likewise Thompson, and Todd and maybe Cave for Sullivan. Sullivan 7 was very good too

If Sullivan had better half backs they would have won
Can't agree with latter statement. MCB pack were the better for most of the game and while their halfbacks played well you can't explain a 15 point margin as down to poor Sullivan 9 and 10. MCB were superior in most departments and totally dominated the second half.

User avatar
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2903
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Preferably Ravenhill

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by breakdown » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Mark Adair missed an easy tackle on Bingham for their third try, and their 9's passing was horrendous compared to Methody 9's. They might not have won but it would have been a much much tighter game

Also thought Sullivan held their own against Methodys pack for the most of the game, their tight head had a decent game and did a lot of carrying too, it will be interesting to see if he develops
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg

User avatar
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2903
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Preferably Ravenhill

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by breakdown » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Big-al wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:No big build up, no big egos... Methody by far the better side in every department....a fantastic treble from a fantastic squad..... So proud!!!!
Very true.

MCB's road to the final compared to Sullivan's was in opposite ends of spectrum. I don't think Sullivan would of beat Wallace or RBAI.

Hopefully that is the end of the MCB juggernaut.
Who are the favourites for next year?
MCB juggernaut will not end, I don't think they will win it next year but certainly will be there or there abouts.

Wallace are my favourites next year, possibly Inst too
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg

User avatar
kingofthehill
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1999
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by kingofthehill » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:06 pm

breakdown wrote:
Big-al wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:No big build up, no big egos... Methody by far the better side in every department....a fantastic treble from a fantastic squad..... So proud!!!!
Very true.

MCB's road to the final compared to Sullivan's was in opposite ends of spectrum. I don't think Sullivan would of beat Wallace or RBAI.

Hopefully that is the end of the MCB juggernaut.
Who are the favourites for next year?
MCB juggernaut will not end, I don't think they will win it next year but certainly will be there or there abouts.

Wallace are my favourites next year, possibly Inst too
Are MCBs junior teams not fairly weak?
The King is dead. Long live the King.

Beattiespastie
Squire
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by Beattiespastie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:24 pm

Sullivan are a good side and battled well. Methody have big game mentality and that comes through experience and great coaching. Continuity and consistency is the key and Methody have self belief and the dog to fight to the end. Sullivan had the momentum in their run in and in their media profile but once yo take the pitch on final day you need self belief and ability in equal measure and today Conor McKee was superb. This. MCB. Squad have been very special for three years and deserve their place in Schools Cup history as the winners of the first cup at the New Ravenhill.9

User avatar
Setanta
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4754
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:27 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by Setanta » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:28 pm

Very good game; thoroughly enjoyed it. Congratulations to both teams.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6496
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by rumncoke » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:28 pm

Must say as a game it was much better than a couple of years ago where both teams played lift and drop boring AP type rugby with the backs standing watching the forwards .

Both teams played a 15 man game much better to watch and better for those who were playing. Both teams should be proud of the way they played


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist

User avatar
Yoda
Initiate
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by Yoda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Beattiespastie wrote:Sullivan are a good side and battled well. Methody have big game mentality and that comes through experience and great coaching. Continuity and consistency is the key and Methody have self belief and the dog to fight to the end. Sullivan had the momentum in their run in and in their media profile but once yo take the pitch on final day you need self belief and ability in equal measure and today Conor McKee was superb. This. MCB. Squad have been very special for three years and deserve their place in Schools Cup history as the winners of the first cup at the New Ravenhill.9
When I saw the result, I could almost of drafted this paragraph for you - bit predictable Beattie!! >flog :D

Point of order though, they'll have to win it again next year if they want to be the first team to win it at the New Ravenhill - new stand not opened yet

User avatar
ColinM
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 7857
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:11 pm

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by ColinM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:39 pm

Beattiespastie wrote:No big build up, no big egos... Methody by far the better side in every department....a fantastic treble from a fantastic squad..... So proud!!!!qqq
Why are you proud Beattie? Are you the coach, a player or players parent?

Honestly cannot get the mentality of people getting so parochial about the schools game for any other reason than the above.

Ocean87
Novice
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:50 pm

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by Ocean87 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:01 pm

kingofthehill wrote:
breakdown wrote:
Big-al wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:No big build up, no big egos... Methody by far the better side in every department....a fantastic treble from a fantastic squad..... So proud!!!!
Very true.

MCB's road to the final compared to Sullivan's was in opposite ends of spectrum. I don't think Sullivan would of beat Wallace or RBAI.

Hopefully that is the end of the MCB juggernaut.
Who are the favourites for next year?
MCB juggernaut will not end, I don't think they will win it next year but certainly will be there or there abouts.

Wallace are my favourites next year, possibly Inst too
Are MCBs junior teams not fairly weak?

I hear from a few sources that the junior school may not be as strong as the talent on show today. Time will tell!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Yoda
Initiate
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by Yoda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:08 pm

ColinM wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:No big build up, no big egos... Methody by far the better side in every department....a fantastic treble from a fantastic squad..... So proud!!!!qqq
Why are you proud Beattie? Are you the coach, a player or players parent?

Honestly cannot get the mentality of people getting so parochial about the schools game for any other reason than the above.
why are any of us proud of the teams we choose to support, whether we've a direct connection to them or not? - for most Ulster fans and for any professional sports team, we support them, often due simply to reasons of location - they're your local team and we support them from childhood on up - I suspect very few fans of Ulster have a "direct connection" as defined by above. Does that stop us being proud of them or passionately following and debating various aspects of the team/squad/ground/opposition etc etc

Don't think there is anything wrong with supporting the team of your alma matter and being proud of their achievements, In the USA, support for the college teams by past students is comparable to, if not greater than the support of the professional teams.

Now admittedly, schools rugby in Ulster is not on a level with College Football, actually the Premier League wouldn't compete with crowd attendance, but if Beattie wants to spend his time passionately supporting his team, that's his perogative- he just needs to be a little less blinkered about it!

User avatar
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2903
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Preferably Ravenhill

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by breakdown » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:28 pm

kingofthehill wrote:
breakdown wrote:
Big-al wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:No big build up, no big egos... Methody by far the better side in every department....a fantastic treble from a fantastic squad..... So proud!!!!
Very true.

MCB's road to the final compared to Sullivan's was in opposite ends of spectrum. I don't think Sullivan would of beat Wallace or RBAI.

Hopefully that is the end of the MCB juggernaut.
Who are the favourites for next year?
MCB juggernaut will not end, I don't think they will win it next year but certainly will be there or there abouts.

Wallace are my favourites next year, possibly Inst too
Are MCBs junior teams not fairly weak?
Wouldn't say they are weak but certainly not as good as previous years, don't forget they have Nicky and Davy Wells who IMO are the best coaches out of any school by quite a stretch, they will have a big factor in things, but will have their work cut out admittedly
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg

User avatar
ColinM
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 7857
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:11 pm

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by ColinM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:40 pm

Yoda wrote:
ColinM wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:No big build up, no big egos... Methody by far the better side in every department....a fantastic treble from a fantastic squad..... So proud!!!!qqq
Why are you proud Beattie? Are you the coach, a player or players parent?

Honestly cannot get the mentality of people getting so parochial about the schools game for any other reason than the above.
why are any of us proud of the teams we choose to support, whether we've a direct connection to them or not? - for most Ulster fans and for any professional sports team, we support them, often due simply to reasons of location - they're your local team and we support them from childhood on up - I suspect very few fans of Ulster have a "direct connection" as defined by above. Does that stop us being proud of them or passionately following and debating various aspects of the team/squad/ground/opposition etc etc

Don't think there is anything wrong with supporting the team of your alma matter and being proud of their achievements, In the USA, support for the college teams by past students is comparable to, if not greater than the support of the professional teams.

Now admittedly, schools rugby in Ulster is not on a level with College Football, actually the Premier League wouldn't compete with crowd attendance, but if Beattie wants to spend his time passionately supporting his team, that's his perogative- he just needs to be a little less blinkered about it!
Very strange to try and draw a similarity between being fanatical about a bunch of minors, and being a passionate supporter of the province that represents you as a people.

I'm all for watching and supporting rugby at all levels and ages, but the fanaticism and pressure to win elements have much to do with the poor conversion rate from schools to senior rugby imho

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13663
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Yoda wrote:
ColinM wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:No big build up, no big egos... Methody by far the better side in every department....a fantastic treble from a fantastic squad..... So proud!!!!qqq
Why are you proud Beattie? Are you the coach, a player or players parent?

Honestly cannot get the mentality of people getting so parochial about the schools game for any other reason than the above.
why are any of us proud of the teams we choose to support, whether we've a direct connection to them or not? - for most Ulster fans and for any professional sports team, we support them, often due simply to reasons of location - they're your local team and we support them from childhood on up - I suspect very few fans of Ulster have a "direct connection" as defined by above. Does that stop us being proud of them or passionately following and debating various aspects of the team/squad/ground/opposition etc etc

Don't think there is anything wrong with supporting the team of your alma matter and being proud of their achievements, In the USA, support for the college teams by past students is comparable to, if not greater than the support of the professional teams.

Now admittedly, schools rugby in Ulster is not on a level with College Football, actually the Premier League wouldn't compete with crowd attendance, but if Beattie wants to spend his time passionately supporting his team, that's his perogative- he just needs to be a little less blinkered about it!
Not taking anything away from what you wrote, but Beattie is on record here as saying he didn't go to Methody. He may be a parent???????

Must admit, as a former pupil of the college, I cannot say I'm displeased with today's result, and winning 3 in a row is to be applauded, but I would not have been unhappy either if the underdogs had won on their first visit to Ravers on St Paddy's Day.
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

Post Reply