Schools Cup 2016

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Beattiespastie
Squire

Re: Schools Cup 2016

Post by Beattiespastie »

Big wind needed to blow a 110 + kg Aussie prop into Campbell's fold, Been a long time since an Ulster schools prop emerged in the first XV ranks of a provincial side so maybe it's time for an Aussie to fill the gap? Good luck to the lad I wish him well.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Is there a photo of him with a hurl doing the rounds yet?
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Lads, I trust you will allow a fully retired "poster" to ask a genuine question. I noticed the MCB v CBC result on Saturday, & aside from any auld sh1te about who was missing players, it is surely obvious to anyone that the quality of schools players going into other academies is way higher than ours? I watched Leinster v Caaaaaadiff on skyplus, & whilst I know Leinster lost, the physique & skill levels of their kids, (many of whom I had never heard of), is simply light years ahead of anything in our academy. I know many blame the UR academy structures, but are we trying make silk purses out of sow's ears? To me the raw material just looks poor. Any thoughts?
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Fair point Brianc and I speak from relatively recent experience. Going down to the Dublin schools, in particular Blackrock and St Michaels it's obvious the set up is very impressive. I wouldn't say we are a million miles away but speaking to Blackrock parents in the past it's obvious the rugby program at the school is intense and very professional but then again the school attracts lads from all over Ireland so competition is fierce. CBC were a big side with a 130 kg Irish schools THP and the pack size made the difference late on when their 3 tries were scored. Footnote: Thomas Gallagher L6 making his 8 debut in place of MCB captain Zac JORDAN was easily man of the match. i remember MCB playing an end of season game a few years back against a touring South African school who to s man were absolutely massive ( the look of awe/ fear in our lads faces was mirrored by that of the parents/ coaching staff present). It gets scary how big young lads are getting , I am 6'1 and 16 stone and the CBC team running past me unto the pitch made me feel small!!
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Sorry Marco.... Just saw your post! I apologise for my cheeky reply! You have rumbled me mate I am in fact Nicky Wells.... Not!! I am just a sad old g*t that trundles down to Pirrie when not working and I retain many friendships so player updates are easy to come by. I love the banter and the games and I guess I always will retain an interest as will my son and many ex players.
ChuckleBrothers
Novice

Post by ChuckleBrothers »

Last edited by ChuckleBrothers on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Chuckle it's becoming apparent that you are worried about the MCB side and maybe you should be :D To grace Pirrie Park with your presence is unusual for an RBAI man when your team isn't playing us but then again your side is playing us THIS Saturday. It's only a friendly so don't worry and surely MCB are massive underdogs playing the reigning champions? One thing experience tells me is that MCB benefitted from playing a good / physical side from Cork and the score line does not bother me at all. Look forward to Saturday :D
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Beattiespastie wrote:Chuckle it's becoming apparent that you are worried about the MCB side and maybe you should be :D To grace Pirrie Park with your presence is unusual for an RBAI man when your team isn't playing us but then again your side is playing us THIS Saturday. It's only a friendly so don't worry and surely MCB are massive underdogs playing the reigning champions? One thing experience tells me is that MCB benefitted from playing a good / physical side from Cork and the score line does not bother me at all. Look forward to Saturday :D
Cork sent out their 3rds
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I heard it was their 4th year development/ select squad and five key players were missing? :cheers: More worried about playing Rainey now than RBAI to be honest. :shock:
Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

Top two in this years Medallion Shield play on Saturday, should be a good un :D
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Blow in wrote:Top two in this years Medallion Shield play on Saturday, should be a good un :D
Last year's you mean
Unless the match fixers are at it again and you've let slip
Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

Russ wrote:
Blow in wrote:Top two in this years Medallion Shield play on Saturday, should be a good un :D
Last year's you mean
RBAI V Methody (this years top two)
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Blow in wrote:
Russ wrote:
Last year's you mean
RBAI V Methody (this years top two)
Again i think we should get the authorities in

The top 2 are decided in the final

You're saying the top 2 sides in 2016 are RBAI and Methody
ChuckleBrothers
Novice

Post by ChuckleBrothers »

I think wee 'Blow in' may be posting in the wrong thread...He may be suggesting this years favourites for the Medallion Shield 2016 are playing a friendly this week...either that or he is 'Septic Peg' and has a crystal Gilbert... :scratch: :roll:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

ChuckleBrothers wrote:I think wee 'Blow in' may be posting in the wrong thread...He may be suggesting this years favourites for the Medallion Shield 2016 are playing a friendly this week...either that or he is 'Septic Peg' and has a crystal Gilbert... :scratch: :roll:
I understand now

Probably at Medalion level still