Girls Schools Cup

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Girls Schools Cup

Post by big mervyn »

Just had a look at the draw for this year's competition.

Good to see some cross community representation, but a number of our leading rugby playing mixed-sex schools seem conspicuous by their absence. Is there still resistance to girls playing rugby in some of the bastions of the schools' game?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Re: Girls Schools Cup

Post by fuzzylogic »

Perhaps, but its also harder to start up a new sport in schools where other sports/activities take place for girls to enter as well.

They attempted to start a girls team up when I was in my final year of school. 5/6 put their names down and only 3 turned up.

I think we had hockey, netball, tennis, swimming, dancing and a few equestrian sorts. Doesn't leave a lot of time.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

big mervyn wrote:Just had a look at the draw for this year's competition.

Good to see some cross community representation, but a number of our leading rugby playing mixed-sex schools seem conspicuous by their absence. Is there still resistance to girls playing rugby in some of the bastions of the schools' game?
Fûccking hate this cross community shît , rugby is , rugby was ALWAYS cross fuûcking community , stop going for the Logan spin ffs ,your smarter than that.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
drumbo diehard
Novice

Post by drumbo diehard »

Is "Tag Rugby" both men's and wemans, fit to be called rugby or should another name be found for this game of tig ?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

drumbo diehard wrote:Is "Tag Rugby" both men's and wemans, fit to be called rugby or should another name be found for this game of tig ?
7s gets away with it.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
drumbo diehard
Novice

Post by drumbo diehard »

Yes, we Props have our own competition called " The Boat Race"
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Kofi Annan wrote:

Fûccking hate this cross community shît , rugby is , rugby was ALWAYS cross fuûcking community , stop going for the Logan spin ffs ,your smarter than that.
I don't disagree with much of that, but how many schools from the Catholic controlled sector entered the (boys) Schools Cup this year?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

big mervyn wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:

I don't disagree with much of that, but how many schools from the Catholic controlled sector entered the (boys) Schools Cup this year?
I could ask how many secondary schools entered the Boys School Cup :roll:

None I believe, but then again that would be their choice as many are affiliated to Ulster Schools, the girls are on a more level playing field and it's open to secondary schools as well as grammar, (it's tag rugby as well), oh sorry there is a 7s full contact comp as well as Dublin don't want women playing 15s as they are putting millions into 7s, a poor 7s programme at that.

You can't compare the schools cup boys to the Schools cup for the girls, well unless you want to count them as " games played", to keep your KPIs up
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Kofi Annan wrote:I could ask how many secondary schools entered the Boys School Cup :roll:

None I believe,
Dromore definitely entered. I'm not aware of the status of some of the other schools. I'd imagine some others would enter if they provided post GCSE education to a large enough body of boy pupils.

The initial comment was merely an acknowledgment of the development of the girls game (albeit in a tag format) outside the more traditional rugby playing schools sector and outside the 6 NI counties. Spreading the boys game is probably a more difficult nut to crack for several reasons, despite recent efforts by the Branch.
Big Neville Southall
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by big mervyn » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:56 pm
Kofi Annan wrote:
Dromore definitely entered.
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Round 1 - Saturday 5th December 2015
Carrickfergus Grammar School v Strabane Academy

Round 2 - Saturday 9th January 2016
Larne GS v Royal School Armagh
Lurgan College v Portadown College
Cambridge House v Limavady GS
Wellington College v Friends' School
Royal School Dungannon v Carrickfergus GS or Strabane Academy
Banbridge Academy v Antrim GS
Belfast HS v Foyle College

Round 3 - Saturday 23rd January 2016
The seven winners from Round 1 are joined by nine further teams: Ballyclare High School,
Bangor Grammar School, Belfast Royal Academy, Dalriada School, Grosvenor Grammar School, Omagh Academy, Portora Royal School, Rainey Endowed School, Regent House School.

Round 4 - Saturday 6th February 2016
The eight winners from Round 3 will be joined by the remaining eight sides: Ballymena Academy, Campbell College, Coleraine Grammar School, Down High School, Methodist College Belfast, Royal Belfast Academical Institution, Sullivan Upper School, Wallace High School.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by big mervyn » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:56 pm
Kofi Annan wrote:
Dromore definitely entered.
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Round 1 - Saturday 5th December 2015
Carrickfergus Grammar School v Strabane Academy

Round 2 - Saturday 9th January 2016
Larne GS v Royal School Armagh
Lurgan College v Portadown College
Cambridge House v Limavady GS
Wellington College v Friends' School
Royal School Dungannon v Carrickfergus GS or Strabane Academy
Banbridge Academy v Antrim GS
Belfast HS v Foyle College

Round 3 - Saturday 23rd January 2016
The seven winners from Round 1 are joined by nine further teams: Ballyclare High School,
Bangor Grammar School, Belfast Royal Academy, Dalriada School, Grosvenor Grammar School, Omagh Academy, Portora Royal School, Rainey Endowed School, Regent House School.

Round 4 - Saturday 6th February 2016
The eight winners from Round 3 will be joined by the remaining eight sides: Ballymena Academy, Campbell College, Coleraine Grammar School, Down High School, Methodist College Belfast, Royal Belfast Academical Institution, Sullivan Upper School, Wallace High School.
Maybe not then. Wonder why not? They play to a decent standard and have a 6th form now
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I hate all children equally, boys & girls.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Hello all

You probably don't know me but I've come to right a wrong

It is wrongly stated above that Dromore RFC have entered the Schools Cup.

In order to improve the standard of rugby in the new 6th form, prior to entering the Danske Bank Schools Cup, Dromore 1XV have entered the 2XV cup

This year they lost narrowly to RBAI 2XV

As they continue to progress they will move from 2XV cup to 1XV cup

Now, as you should obviously know Dromoe HS always excelled in the HS Cup, with players leaving at 16 and all going to DRFC (a great little club)

The Dromoe HS boys would then play with other local lads and DRFC 18s were always gritty and competitive

Now, Dromore HS players do not go on to DRFC until Junior Rugby as they will play Schools Cup. So Youth rugby is likely to die at DRFC. Is that what the Ulster Branch want?

I'll go back to being Russ soon
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'd like to think the school and club can continue to have a symbiotic relationship.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:I'd like to think the school and club can continue to have a symbiotic relationship.
Im sure the guys at the school will still go to play Junior rugby after school however that is 2 years later than currently happens meaning the end of Youth rugby or at least competitive Youth rugby and removing competitive youth rugby removes those kids who don't attend the local schools from rugby, potentially harming the Junior club