|Schools cup 2017

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: |Schools cup 2017

Post by Snipe Watson »

Inst 10, is it Michael Lowry looks like a good'un to me. Seems to have a sound skill set.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

In fairness they did offload but when their 10 went off that died with him shammers.
He was looking to do it but no support players were buying into it.
The other 2 offloads were to a guy directly hit into touch.
Right to do it wrong place.
I hope those Inst half backs are allowed to develop and we don't coach them dry.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Congratulations to RBAI on today's win and three in a row- tremendous achievement. Hats off to MCB for an outstanding performance when you consider the representative squad they played against. Weather conditions were poor so it's unfair to criticise either team for lack of an offloading game. Both schools should be proud of their lads .
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

At what point can we criticise them.
Is it when when they get to senior standard and lack the basic skills to do it?
No shortage of multiple phases going nowhere and backs running side ways.
If that floats your boat no wonder you're happy.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Got this funny feeling of deja vu.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Lowry looked more than decent. Kids under Soper have a much better chance of playing decent rugby than any team under Wells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I think NK has done ok turning out Ulster Academy/ 1st XV players to date.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Beattiespastie wrote:I think NK has done ok turning out Ulster Academy/ 1st XV players to date.
Born to play Doakball

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Inst 13 looked as if he was about 28 :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

only two of the players impressed Lamour the Methody wing and O'Donnell

The rest were typical school boy players lots of effort most were fit
as there were a couple of fat shufflers on each side

Inst won because they had the more mature half backs and players who were more mature in other key positions .

It is the first time I have watched O Donnell and the length and consistency of pass was impressive as was his movement from breakdown to breakdown .

The closeness of the game came from Methody winning the toss and playing against the wind in the first half the try at the end of the first half was the bonus .

But I could not for the life of me understand the Methody approach to the last 10 minutes -- trying to play keep ball in their own 22 .

with the speed of their wings and the wind behind them it was really time to kick the ball as deeply into the Inst half as possible and try to play the game in the Inst half and go for the try .

if playing to instructions -- Wells failed to recognise his team were equal in the backline except at half back .
and his only chance in winning was to get the ball behind the Inst backs .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

rumncoke wrote:only two of the players impressed Lamour the Methody wing and O'Donnell

The rest were typical school boy players lots of effort most were fit
as there were a couple of fat shufflers on each side

Inst won because they had the more mature half backs and players who were more mature in other key positions .

It is the first time I have watched O Donnell and the length and consistency of pass was impressive as was his movement from breakdown to breakdown .

The closeness of the game came from Methody winning the toss and playing against the wind in the first half the try at the end of the first half was the bonus .

But I could not for the life of me understand the Methody approach to the last 10 minutes -- trying to play keep ball in their own 22 .

with the speed of their wings and the wind behind them it was really time to kick the ball as deeply into the Inst half as possible and try to play the game in the Inst half and go for the try .

if playing to instructions -- Wells failed to recognise his team were equal in the backline except at half back .
and his only chance in winning was to get the ball behind the Inst backs .

With a wet ball too rum...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

wet ball or not he impressed

and basically I'm not often impressed by schoolboys because there is a development space between 18 and 22 which few successfully cross .

A player can look good at 18 because he is a big fish in a small pond put him the ocean he gets lost .

It's one of the reasons why forwards are so hard to identify because there game is size based backs are skill and pace .

The reason I'm not hot on the Inst outhalf is his skill set is average and he uses maturity to advantage that advantage gets lost once he leaves school.

And the player who controls the game for Inst is the scrum half not out half and that is one of the reasons he may develop further .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Weather not great, lots of mistakes - bit scrappy. 2nd Inst try v good rolling maul.

Thought Methody would have done better 2nd half only 12-5 down with the conditions. Kicked it a lot into the wind. Very few kicks in 2nd half, tried to tap and go from own half etc.

O'Donnell looked a decent prospect.

It is a high pressure game for these lads, so one or 2 looked a bit nervous.

Ocean87
Novice

Post by Ocean87 »

Weather was a massive factor especially in second half. "Unimaginative coaching" surely cannot be labelled at a coaching panel who have produced three consecutive cup winning teams.

Rhys O'Donnell is a class act. Unfortunately, Ulster can't really see that! Or Kieran Campbell to be more specific.....

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Ocean87 wrote:Weather was a massive factor especially in second half. "Unimaginative coaching" surely cannot be labelled at a coaching panel who have produced three consecutive cup winning teams.

Rhys O'Donnell is a class act. Unfortunately, Ulster can't really see that! Or Kieran Campbell to be more specific.....

I'm told young Rhys may have a bit of an attitude problem.