Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

stickinout
Warrior Chief

Re: Replacement 10

Post by stickinout »

Here's a thought. What would a successful team (say Leinster) do if they were in our shoes right now? Answer's on a postcard please.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Gary wrote:"Our 10s will not be ready in one year to be serious players at Super Duper cup level IMO. It took PJ 4 or 5 years to get to that level, and he had an abundance of raw talent. So in my opinion, our problem at 10 is not short term, it's a 2 or 3 year problem at least. I hope UR are thinking along the same lines."

The point is that our team as a whole won't be ready in a year to be competitive in the SDC, so why not let the kids loose. McP. is showing up well already, and both Lowry and Curtis are older than Paddy was when he was brought into the team. Lowry, as we have heard , is rated highly by Bryn and the coaches, one of which told me he is already better than Paddy was when he was selected for the Heiny final. If we can get a good, experienced NIQ 10, then he could help to further the progress of the young'uns. But if we're only allowed Keatley, then we should sorry but tell the IRFU we'll manage ok with our own.

If we get a good quality NIQ 10 then that will limit the exposure of mcphillips in the major games in particular. At least with Keatley there will be mo pressure to pick him and if mcphillips is better he will get the nod. However starting alongside shanahan as may well be the case early season with Cooney’s call up is not going to be an easy task for mcphillips. That is where jackson benefitted from being alongside ruan, plus paying behind a very strong pack. I would rather have someone like keatley in reserve. He was munster’s first choice for most of this season, is irish qualified but won’t get callled up and could do a job if required. Long way to go for mcphillips and at times already his kicking has been found wanting.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

seriously

if they are physically up to standard ( as a back ) there is little reason they should not be able at 21 - 22 to play at Pro 14 - level

Provided they have the basic skill set .

International would be a step too far for most but Larmour is only 21

Granted he is not playing out half .

Players can work at the skill set - unfortunately the physical / mental
bit depends on the individual .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

I would be happy to see Keatley up here but would he want to come just to please the IRFU as he will not be selected for Ireland.
No real reason for him to come just to make way for Carbery and I would agree with him.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

LOOK, I like Ian Keatley, he is a guy who has struggled more than once to overcome the perception that he is not good enough, then comes back and plays a string of good but limited games. Keatley gets nothing on a plate, my impression is that he is a guy who fights tooth and nail to be the best he can be, sometimes he's just shown as being not quite good enough at the top levels.

None of this has anything to do with why I don't want him to come to Ulster, it's the same reason I don't want Carberry either, indeed I think on balance I'd like the workmanlike Keatley more than the flash but accident waiting to happen that is wee Joey.

I want either a good NIQ or play our own. McPhillips has done incredibly well for a guy thrown into his situation, skin or swim son, and he's done very well, whilst obviously still much to learn.

So let's not settle for a workmanlike guy who is not good enough, nor a trick cyclist who may occasionally be awesome but Leo doesn't trust to start for Mexico in a team where his protection could hardly be better.

Either a good NIQ or our own young lads, tell Nucifora to gofuckhimself and send Joey to Munster.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Agreed, Baggy. If Carbery doesn't want to come here but is willing to travel southwest, why on earth would Keatley, who has been in Munster for a long time want to uproot himself and come to Ulster any more than wee Joey.
Far better to play our own guys who want to play for the shirt than force a reluctant Mexican to come here.
The issue of bring in an outsider is different but anyone NIQ would need to be of the highest quality to justify spending a fortune on.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

BaggyTrousers wrote:LOOK, I like Ian Keatley, he is a guy who has struggled more than once to overcome the perception that he is not good enough, then comes back and plays a string of good but limited games. Keatley gets nothing on a plate, my impression is that he is a guy who fights tooth and nail to be the best he can be, sometimes he's just shown as being not quite good enough at the top levels.

None of this has anything to do with why I don't want him to come to Ulster, it's the same reason I don't want Carberry either, indeed I think on balance I'd like the workmanlike Keatley more than the flash but accident waiting to happen that is wee Joey.

I want either a good NIQ or play our own. McPhillips has done incredibly well for a guy thrown into his situation, skin or swim son, and he's done very well, whilst obviously still much to learn.

So let's not settle for a workmanlike guy who is not good enough, nor a trick cyclist who may occasionally be awesome but Leo doesn't trust to start for Mexico in a team where his protection could hardly be better.

Either a good NIQ or our own young lads, tell Nucifora to gofuckhimself and send Joey to Munster.
If we spend money on a good NIQ then you would expect that player to play a lot of minutes. That is obviously going to limit the development of our homegrown lads. Also where do we find a high quality 10 at this stage who isnt already signed up?

I agree our lads should be given a bash but they are still young & going into next season with no experienced back up is placing a lot of pressure on young shoulders.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
hugothemasterofdisaster
Novice

Post by hugothemasterofdisaster »

Was talking to an ex-International (not Irish) last night who said the Jackson - Sale thing is still on.

Also commented that the lads were absolutely Judas'd by the IRFU/Ulster and that he hasn't spoken to a single player ex or current who weren't outraged by the decision.

If only the f**king twitter brigade hadn't amassed such power.
prawnsarnies
Novice

Post by prawnsarnies »

hugothemasterofdisaster wrote:Was talking to an ex-International (not Irish) last night who said the Jackson - Sale thing is still on.

Also commented that the lads were absolutely Judas'd by the IRFU/Ulster and that he hasn't spoken to a single player ex or current who weren't outraged by the decision.

What boils my p!sh is the fact that none of these ex players will come out and say that they think it's ridiculous.
Jamie Heaslip talked a pile of sh!te about it the other week on Late Late. Bore off. Plenty of skeletons in his closet.
"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

prawnsarnies wrote:
hugothemasterofdisaster wrote:Was talking to an ex-International (not Irish) last night who said the Jackson - Sale thing is still on.

What boils my p!sh is the fact that none of these ex players will come out and say that they think it's ridiculous.
Jamie Heaslip talked a pile of sh!te about it the other week on Late Late. Bore off. Plenty of skeletons in his closet.
The same Jamie Heaslip who struggles to keep himself relevant so releases poorly written articles every month or so

Part 3: why i actually retired
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Heard the same thing about Sale. Still on. Waiting for the dust to settle.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Court was informed he had no offer of employment.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Dave wrote:Court was informed he had no offer of employment.
Maybe that is part of waiting for the dust to settle
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

rumncoke wrote:seriously

if they are physically up to standard ( as a back ) there is little reason they should not be able at 21 - 22 to play at Pro 14 - level

Provided they have the basic skill set .

International would be a step too far for most but Larmour is only 21

Granted he is not playing out half .

Players can work at the skill set - unfortunately the physical / mental
bit depends on the individual .

McP has shown he can play at Pro14 level for a sustained time, behind a middling great pack. He's ticked that box. I don't have a problem with him playing a good chunk of next year. It's just a lot to ask him to deal with his own game and the needs/pressures of being the playmaker at 10 in not only the Pro14 but also the super duper cup which is a different beast altogether.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ColinM wrote:
Dave wrote:Court was informed he had no offer of employment.
Maybe that is part of waiting for the dust to settle
Judge Patricia played a blinder on that by saying she was very busy and would take some time to reach a conclusion, to me that means she is waiting till after the summer to decide
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best