Southern Kings v Ulster Sun 16th Sep 1:15pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Southern Kings v Ulster Sun 16th Sep 1:15pm

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:Before getting too excited about Dan’s consistent selections in the backline and especially midfield, just consider what exactly are the quality exoerienced alternatives we have right now.
Les Kiss always found an alternative.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Bart S wrote:Before getting too excited about Dan’s consistent selections in the backline and especially midfield, just consider what exactly are the quality exoerienced alternatives we have right now.
Correct. Whilst I'm pleased Cave is being selected he's not really competing against anyone.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote:
And which of the alternatives Gibbes or Kiss picked is actually availabke now?

Picking Cave and McCloskey as our centres right now is as easy as picking Cooney at 9. Due to a lack of alternatives. Cave has done well though si far.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:
Dave wrote:
And which of the alternatives Gibbes or Kiss picked is actually availabke now?

Picking Cave and McCloskey as our centres right now is as easy as picking Cooney at 9. Due to a lack of alternatives. Cave has done well though si far.
Kiss would have found a new one.
Fortyniner
Novice

Post by Fortyniner »

I can't believe that complaints about wholesale changes are now replaced by complaints about no changes.
Who are these people. Do they know anything about centre pairings?
And Addison is a very real alternative.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Who are these people? I haven't read any complaints.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Fortyniner wrote:I can't believe that complaints about wholesale changes are now replaced by complaints about no changes.
As Dave said, no-one appears to be complaining about the consistent selection. Part of the reason for that is that other than McPhillips, there are not a lot of alternatives for the backline in terms of quality and experience. We’ll only know if Dan is picking mccloskey and cave as his preferred cente oartnership when the likes of Luke M, Ludik and Stockdale are available, to give some options at both centre and in the back three should Addison move to centre.

If Addison plays centre right now then who would play 15? Nelson may be the next best one we have outside the current xv but one iof the reasons he was tried at 10 was that he was never going to cut it at the top level as a 15.
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Perfectly OK selection, better to go with the best he's got against one-win Kings and take his chances against the Cheetahs than try to mix and match teams. The Cheetahs game will be a tough ask, either way, just 5 days turnaround time and nearly 5000 feet up for the second game.

I think the Cheetahs game is one that if it comes good great but everything is against the win there in terms of the short gap between the games and a small squad and even then a few break glass options included.
Ah come on now Baggy, have you seen the cheetahs squad? Your normally the first with the tighten up syrup.

As much as this is a development year or whatever people want to call it, anything short of two wins from these two games will be very disappointing, and I’m hoping to see some winning bps
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:Who are these people? I haven't read any complaints.
Fortyniner wrote:I can't believe that complaints about wholesale changes are now replaced by complaints about no changes.
It's classic social media age fake news faux outrage

Invent the narrative then complain about the narrative
Complain so much that the narrative becomes the defacto truth

Classic 1984 stuff

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Eggs wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Perfectly OK selection, better to go with the best he's got against one-win Kings and take his chances against the Cheetahs than try to mix and match teams. The Cheetahs game will be a tough ask, either way, just 5 days turnaround time and nearly 5000 feet up for the second game.

I think the Cheetahs game is one that if it comes good great but everything is against the win there in terms of the short gap between the games and a small squad and even then a few break glass options included.
Ah come on now Baggy, have you seen the cheetahs squad? Your normally the first with the tighten up syrup.

As much as this is a development year or whatever people want to call it, anything short of two wins from these two games will be very disappointing, and I’m hoping to see some winning bps
No, I have not seen the Cheetahs squad, you clearly have the advantage in that respect, however:

- 5-day turnaround
- 4500 feet above sea level
- small squad travelling with several make weights

Hmmmmmmmmm? Nope, I'm not counting any chickens. Even if Weegies slaughter them today, those reasons still apply.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:Who are these people? I haven't read any complaints.
It's classic social media age fake news faux outrage

Invent the narrative then complain about the narrative
Complain so much that the narrative becomes the defacto truth

Classic 1984 stuff

Quite so, George. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

By the way, to all chicken counters, two facts:

- Ulster have scraped home twice by the width of their cumulative foreskins

- Cheetahs have been demolished twice away from home, once by a decent team once by a rabble.

Only a chicken counter would expect a facile win for the away team. I conclude that the only reality here is represented by the question: which counted first, the chicken or our Eggs?

I, of course, hope your confidence is well founded old boy. :thumleft:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Tipping cheetahs to best glasgow today

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ok then I will go for 2 Ulster wins from this wee tour
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Addison is ruled out with illness. Nelson in.