PRO12 R4: Away to Zebre - Live

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Columbo
Steward

Re: PRO12 R4: Away to Zebre - Live

Post by Columbo »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Why we feel the need to play a strongish team against them at home & a much much weaker one away, beats me? Strikes me as dumb.
BaggyTrousers wrote:This was no freak result, it was an accident waiting to happen & we learned nothing from previous close shaves.
So the red card had no effect on the outcome, and we were facing a loss even with 15 men on the pitch? And red cards aren't so rare in rugby as to be freakish? We have picked up 3 in quick succession, when was the last Ulster red card - I honestly can't remember another one. In that you disagree not only with Chris Henry (referred to it as a blip, due to the red card) but with every bookie who made a book on the match! Ulster were massive odds-on favourites, and obviously this was after the teams were announced.

I don't understand why you're so defensive - it's obvious and undeniable that the red card was the major factor in the outcome of the match. Whether a notional 'full-strength' side would have eked out a 14 man victory is unknowable, and largely incidental - you can't go into matches assuming that a guy will be sent off after 10 minutes.

It's also not the case that the home selection was that much stronger than the away selection - yes Besty and Henry (our 2 key players IMO) were left out, on the flip side Bowe, van der Merwe and Wilson came back in, and most of the other changes were largely neutral - e.g. Allen/Andrew, Black/Warwick, McComb/Stevenson. I have no doubt that if Best and Henry had been sent over there and broke their ankle, the keyboard warriors would have been out in force bawling about why on earth they were risked away to Zebre FFS etc etc.
..one more thing
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

DF - 1 week ban..............

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17284&start=240#p472678
Last edited by Mac on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Mac wrote:.
DF - 1 Game ban..............

Twunt
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Columbo wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Why we feel the need to play a strongish team against them at home & a much much weaker one away, beats me? Strikes me as dumb.
BaggyTrousers wrote:This was no freak result, it was an accident waiting to happen & we learned nothing from previous close shaves.
So the red card had no effect on the outcome, and we were facing a loss even with 15 men on the pitch? And red cards aren't so rare in rugby as to be freakish? We have picked up 3 in quick succession, when was the last Ulster red card - I honestly can't remember another one. In that you disagree not only with Chris Henry (referred to it as a blip, due to the red card) but with every bookie who made a book on the match! Ulster were massive odds-on favourites, and obviously this was after the teams were announced.

I don't understand why you're so defensive - it's obvious and undeniable that the red card was the major factor in the outcome of the match. Whether a notional 'full-strength' side would have eked out a 14 man victory is unknowable, and largely incidental - you can't go into matches assuming that a guy will be sent off after 10 minutes.

It's also not the case that the home selection was that much stronger than the away selection - yes Besty and Henry (our 2 key players IMO) were left out, on the flip side Bowe, van der Merwe and Wilson came back in, and most of the other changes were largely neutral - e.g. Allen/Andrew, Black/Warwick, McComb/Stevenson. I have no doubt that if Best and Henry had been sent over there and broke their ankle, the keyboard warriors would have been out in force bawling about why on earth they were risked away to Zebre FFS etc etc.
OK I tried, have it your way ........................... and a pair of clownshoes, it would appear you can't read & think at the same time.
ClownShoes.jpg
ClownShoes.jpg (8.88 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Mac wrote:.
DF - 1 week ban..............

Who'd have guessed Deccie has a good suit :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
MCBwinwinwin
Initiate

Post by MCBwinwinwin »

I think he has been ripped off. It wasn't a clean punch and he was lying on the ground. Whatever happened his face was clearly provocation and therefore a yellow should have been enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

BaggyTrousers wrote: OK I tried, have it your way ........................... and a pair of clownshoes, it would appear you can't read & think at the same time.
ClownShoes.jpg
...erm...
..one more thing
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Columbo wrote:

Warwick was waterboy, it was one of the Daves instead.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

MCBwinwinwin wrote:I think he has been ripped off. It wasn't a clean punch and he was lying on the ground. Whatever happened his face was clearly provocation and therefore a yellow should have been enough.

A punch is a red card
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
MCBwinwinwin wrote:I think he has been ripped off. It wasn't a clean punch and he was lying on the ground. Whatever happened his face was clearly provocation and therefore a yellow should have been enough.

A punch is a red card

Aye, for girls. (sorry ladies). >EW
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Kofi Annan wrote:
BR wrote:Unless there was a second-citing commissioner, I very much doubt it.
Why a second commissioner?? I hope Les Kiss was there and read them the riot act. Would not like to think think the kids were left unattended
Les was at the Ryder Cup.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

MCBwinwinwin wrote:I think he has been ripped off. It wasn't a clean punch.....
It was a cracker of a clean punch.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

They were never going to let a card be enough for a punch . Because while possibly provoked there was a significant time lapse between the provocation and retaliation .

While retaliation is understandable it cannot be seen as approved

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

The victim was also lying defenceless on the ground. One thing squaring up to someone and punching them; another putting in a sleekit punch on someone lying at the bottom of a ruck. If it had been the other way round this forum would be outraged with the leniency.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote:

The victim was also lying defenceless on the ground. One thing squaring up to someone and punching them; another putting in a sleekit punch on someone lying at the bottom of a ruck. If it had been the other way round this forum would be outraged with the leniency.
That's twice today that I've had no option but to agree with you................