What the Papers Say 2014/2015

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: What the Papers Say 2014/2015

Post by Mac »

Friday 9th January 2015

Ulster's Clive Ross keen to follow family's footsteps
On the rise: Ulster's Clive Ross has been delighted by the extra game time he has got this season
Inevitably, something had to be said in Dublin last Saturday when the two cousins who hail from the same village in north Cork came face-to-face on the pitch.

One an established Ireland international now heading towards the twilight of his career while the other, a good 10 years younger, having surprisingly pitched up north of the border, went hammer and tongs at each other and apparently only once it was all over did the Ballyhooly natives exchange words.

"It was nice to play against him," Ulster's Clive Ross said of Leinster's Mike Ross though the elder of the two came off with all the spoils.

"It wasn't until after the final whistle that he got the jokes in," the now Belfast-based flanker said of Ireland's tighthead prop though just to rub it in even more it was Mike who managed to put in a rather unexpected tackle his relative.

"Obviously he had the bragging rights after the win," says Clive before recalling a moment which may well feature the next time there is a family get-together.

"He got a good 'jack' tackle on me so he was bragging about that as well," says the man who came to Ulster from Lansdowne on an initial trial and is now on a development contract until the end of the season when he is hoping to be offered some form of extension.

It seemed unlikely to offer rapid advancement when the Munster native opted to pursue his ambition of playing professionally by coming north last summer, but opportunity has knocked for him in an unanticipated way with Chris Henry's health issue sidelining Ulster's first choice openside flanker, and then Nick Williams also residing on the injury list, helping to narrow the options and allowing the 25-year-old to get a run of games.

He admits that playing number six - blindside flanker - has been the position he has been most accustomed to but Ross is determined to make the most of his unexpected chance to gain experience playing on the openside and looks set to play his 11th game for Ulster on Sunday at Treviso.

Though he is new to the professional set-up, Ross does not shrink from explaining just what has to be achieved on Sunday to help revive Ulster's less than convincing form of late.

"There is a lot of pressure on the squad to win this game," he says.

"It is a must-win and there's no hiding behind that."

Indeed, losing three from the last four in the PRO12 is not good by anyone's reckoning but Ross continues the point with some fairly pertinent argument.

"But they (the recent away games which have brought only defeats) would be the tougher games in the league like Ospreys away, Munster away and Leinster away," he adds.

"The next couple of games are against bottom half opposition (Treviso, either side of the final European pool games) and at the moment we're in fifth, and five points off the top, so I think we're very much in the mix.

"But we do need to improve our performance there's no doubt about that," he maintains while, naturally, refusing to accept that the wheels are coming off for the squad.

"I wouldn't say alarm bells are ringing but I think we certainly need to step up," says the player who was educated in Munster and played his club rugby in Leinster before arriving here.

You wonder just how he has managed with the rather sizeable step-up to PRO12 and Champions Cup rugby after having previously played AIL standard with Lansdowne - he was on the title winning side coached by Mike Ruddock in 2013 along with fellow new signing Charlie Butterworth who is currently playing at Ballynahinch - and though there is no denying that it has proved a steep challenge, Ross reckons he is surviving and, hopefully, improving.

"When I first signed on I thought that maybe during international breaks would have been my time to shine, but just the way the injuries have gone I've got extra opportunities," he says.

"I don't find the physicality all that much different but I think the tempo is the main thing and the pace is obviously a lot quicker.

"Skills and accuracy are a lot higher and I feel that I've adapted well to the demands of the (professional) game," he adds.

Ross also mentions that the environment at Lansdowne which Ruddock, a former Grand Slam winning coach with Wales and the father of Leinster and Ireland player Rhys, helped provide was an excellent grounding to move on to the next level.

And just to illustrate the point he throws in former team-mates Craig Ronaldson, now with Connacht, and Martin Moore who is with Leinster and has already broken through to play for the national side, as examples just in case you reckoned that simply playing AIL rugby before coming here counted for practically nothing along with the fact that he wasn't part of the much-fabled Leinster system.

Even so, Ross still describes coming off the bench against the star-laden Toulon at the Kingspan back in October as surreal and there is no doubting that he has been asked to make the move to the upper echelons of the professional game rather rapidly.

He remains confident though and is rightly optimistic that he should get more game time on Sunday's return to Italy than on his debut in September at Zebre when Declan Fitzpatrick's early red card meant that the flanker had to make way for a front row replacement after just 10 minutes in what turned out to be Ulster's first away defeat of the season.

"I feel that from the start of the season I've greatly improved and I'm excited to see how far I can go," says Ross.

Hopefully his outlook, and Ulster's season, will remain in the same upbeat zone.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/table ... 93414.html

Dan Tuohy extends deal and pledges trophy success
Prize guy: Ulster's Dan Tuohy is in hunt for trophies
Dan Tuohy has vowed to win silverware with Ulster after agreeing a three-year contract extension that will keep him at Kingspan Stadium until at least the summer of 2018.

Ulster continue their bid for PRO12 success against Treviso in Italy on Sunday with Neil Doak's men in fifth place, a point outside the play-off spots.

"Having the chance to be part of a trophy-winning Ulster team was a huge part of my decision to stay and I will be giving my all to help Ulster be successful in the next three seasons," said Tuohy.

"I have been here almost six years now and although Ulster Rugby has evolved a huge amount in that time we are yet to win anything."

Bryn Cunningham, Ulster Rugby's Team Manager, added: "Dan is hugely important to us and has developed into a highly effective leader both on and off the pitch.

"He has proven at both international and provincial level that he is an outstanding player in his position.

"His effectiveness as a powerful ball carrier to break the gainline at important times in matches is crucial in the modern game.

"I am extremely pleased he has committed to Ulster in the long term, showing the belief our frontline players have in the future of Ulster Rugby.

"I have no doubt that he will continue to make a huge contribution to our success in the next three seasons."

Tuohy signed for Ulster from Exeter Chiefs in the summer of 2009 and has made 118 appearances for the province so far.

The 29-year-old made a try-scoring debut for Ireland against the All Blacks in 2010.

He has won nine caps in total and made two appearances in last season's RBS 6 Nations Championship win before injury cut his campaign short.

Tuohy has also represented Ireland at U21 level and has four caps for Ireland 'A'.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 93380.html

Clarke relishing Ulster's upcoming fixtures
Allen Clarke has seen Ulster slip to fifth in the GUINNESS PRO12 table Inpho
Ulster might have slipped down the GUINNESS PRO12 table in recent weeks but forwards coach Allen Clarke believes the club's remaining fixtures make a play-off berth well within reach.

Saturday's 24-11 defeat at Leinster was Ulster's third loss in their last four GUINNESS PRO12 games, meaning they have also lost their last six away games in all competitions.

The result at the RDS Arena left the Ulstermen fifth in the table as Leinster leapfrogged them into the fourth and final play-off spot.

However, Clarke is refusing to throw in the towel on Ulster's title hopes just yet, especially with an important run of fixtures that sees them play teams currently below them in the GUINNESS PRO12 table in their next seven league games.

This run kicks off away at Treviso this weekend and Clarke wants his Ulster troops to make the most of the opportunity in front of them.

"I think this weekend's game is really important to us," Clarke told the Belfast Telegraph.

"It won't define our final position of the season but it will go a long way to establishing us in the top four. Over the next period, we have a run of games that we'd expect, and we've set ourselves a target of accruing, a certain amount of points.

"During that period Ospreys, Leinster, Glasgow and Munster all play each other. We've been to Munster, we've been to Ospreys and played them at home, we've had Glasgow here and we've been to Leinster.

"Those teams have got to come to us now. The only team above us that we have to go to is Glasgow.

"That's at the back end of the season. It's a tough run in our last three league games but two of them are at home and we've got to ensure that we're in a position that we're going into those games competing for one of the top two positions."
http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/16455.php#.VK-P916vmP8

Dan speaks about his new three year deal.
:red: Interview HERE
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 9th January 2015

PART II - TEAM NEWS

DON'T COME HOME WITHOUT A RESULT !!

Payne returns in Ulster squad to face Treviso
DicksonDigital.com
There are two changes to the Ulster starting XV that lost to Leinster last weekend for Sunday afternoon’s Guinness PRO12 match against Benetton Treviso at Stadio Monigo (kick off 3:00pm local time / 2:00pm UK and Ireland).

Louis Ludik, who was rested for the interprovincial match returns to the side at fullback with Peter Nelson moving to the replacements bench.

Franco van der Merwe misses his first game of the season as he has a chest infection, so Alan O’Connor starts the game in the second row.

Ireland international, Jared Payne, has recovered from injury and is also named among the replacements.

Tommy Bowe, who sustained a dead leg against Leinster, is fit to face the Italian side and is joined by Ludik and Craig Gilroy in the back three.

Darren Cave and Stuart Olding continue in midfield, while Paddy Jackson and Ruan Pienaar maintain their partnership in the half backs.

Wiehahn Herbst and Callum Black start either side of captain, Rory Best, while Dan Tuohy, who signed a new three-year contract with Ulster this week, is named alongside O’Connor in the second row.

The back-row is unchanged from last week’s match with Roger Wilson at Number 8, Robbie Diack at blindside and Clive Ross selected at openside.

Forwards, Rob Herring, Andrew Warwick, Bronson Ross, Lewis Stevenson and Sean Reidy join backs Paul Marshall, Payne and Nelson on the replacements bench.

The game is live on BBC 2 Northern Ireland.

Ulster’s next home match is against Leicester Tigers on Saturday 24th January. To purchase tickets for the match click here.

Ulster team & replacements to play Treviso, Guinness PRO12, Stadio Monigo, Sunday 11th January (3:00pm local time / 2:00pm UK and Ireland): (15-9): L Ludik; T Bowe, D Cave, S Olding, C Gilroy, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Best, W Herbst, A O’Connor, D Tuohy, R Diack, C Ross, R Wilson; Replacements (16-23): R Herring, A Warwick, B Ross, L Stevenson, S Reidy, P Marshall, J Payne, P Nelson.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... eviso.aspx

Preview: Treviso v Ulster
On the bench: Jared Payne
Treviso make seven changes to the starting team that won the home derby against Zebre a week ago, to take on Ulster in the Pro12.

In the backs, a young international group includes Luca Morisi at inside centre pairing with Michele Campagnaro, while Edoardo Gori will be the scrum-half and moving Andrea Pratichetti to the wing.

Up front, there are two changes in the back row with Alessandro Zanni and Marco Barbini starting and with Rupert Harden returning to play at tighthead prop after recovering from injury. Tomas Vallejos replaces the ill captain Antonio Pavanello.

Meanwhile, there are two changes to the Ulster starting XV that lost to Leinster last weekend.

Louis Ludik, who was rested, returns to the side at full-back with Peter Nelson moving to the replacements bench.

Franco van der Merwe misses his first game of the season as he has a chest infection, so Alan O'Connor starts the match in the second row.

Ireland international Jared Payne has recovered from injury and is also named among the replacements.

Tommy Bowe, who sustained a dead leg against Leinster, is fit to face the Italian side and is joined by Ludik and Craig Gilroy in the back three.

Darren Cave and Stuart Olding continue in midfield, while Paddy Jackson and Ruan Pienaar maintain their partnership in the half-backs.

Wiehahn Herbst and Callum Black start either side of captain, Rory Best, while Dan Tuohy, who signed a new three-year contract with Ulster this week, is named alongside O'Connor in the second row.

The back row is unchanged from last week's match with Roger Wilson at number eight, Robbie Diack at blindside and Clive Ross selected at openside.

Form: Benetton Treviso have won their last two encounters, both against Italian rivals Zebre, but have not won three in succession in the Guinness PRO12 since December 2012. Treviso drew 24-all at home to Leinster in their most recent encounter with an Irish team, but have not lowered the colours of a province since beating Connacht at Stadio Monigo in October 2013. Ulster's only victory in the last four rounds of Guinness PRO12 action was at home to Connacht on 26th December. The Ulstermen have slipped to six straight defeats away from home in all tournaments since they visited Cardiff Blues on 19th September. Ulster have already lost in Italy this season, having been defeated 6-13 by Zebre in round four. Treviso's only victory over Ulster in 14 previous encounters in all tournaments was 23-12 in Belfast in the PRO12 in October 2011, whilst Ulster have been victorious on all seven previous occasions they have visited Stadio Monigo.

The teams:

Treviso: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Angelo Esposito, 13 Michele Campagnaro, 12 Luca Morisi, 11 Andrea Pratichetti, 10 Sam Christie, 9 Edoardo Gori, 8 Dean Budd, 7 Alessandro Zanni (c), 6 Marco Barbini, 5 Corniel Van Zyl, 4 Tomas Vallejos, 3 Rupert Harden, 2 Davide Giazzon, 1 Matteo Zanusso
Replacements: 16 Albert Anae, 17 Josè Novak, 18 D'arcy Rae, 19 Marco Fuser, 20 Francesco Minto, 21 Meyer Swanepoel, 22 James Ambrosini, 23 Alberto Lucchese

Ulster: 15 Louis Ludik, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Darren Cave, 12 Stuart Olding, 11 Craig Gilroy, 10 Paddy Jackson, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Roger Wilson, 7 Clive Ross, 6 Robbie Diack, 5 Dan Tuohy, 4 Alan O'Connor, 3 Wiehahn Herbst, 2 Rory Best, 1 Callum Black
Replacements: 16 Rob Herring, 17 Andrew Warwick, 18 Bronson Ross, 19 Louis Stevenson, 20 Sean Reidy, 21 Paul Marshall, 22 Jared Payne, 23 Peter Nelson.

Date: Sunday, January 11
Kickoff: 15:00 local (14:00 GMT)
Venue: Stadio Monigo
Referee: Ben Whitehouse (Wales)
Assistant Referees: Wayne Davies (Wales), Barrie Gregory (Wales)
TMO: Derek Bevan (Wales)
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 73,00.html

Pro12: Benetton Treviso v Ulster
Presseye
The Ulster team to face Benetton Treviso in Sunday's Pro12 game at Stadio di Monigo shows two changes from that which lost to Leinster last week.

Louis Ludik, who was rested for the interprovincial match, returns to the side at full-back, with Peter Nelson dropping to the replacements' bench.

Franco van der Merwe misses his first game of the season with a chest infection so lock Alan O'Connor starts.

Jared Payne has recovered from a foot injury and is named as a replacement.

Payne has been out of action for two months after sustaining his injury while playing for Ireland against South Africa .

Darren Cave and Stuart Olding continue in midfield, while Paddy Jackson and Ruan Pienaar maintain their partnership in the half-backs.

Wiehahn Herbst and Callum Black start either side of captain, Rory Best, while Dan Tuohy, who signed a new three-year contract with Ulster this week, is named alongside O'Connor in the second row.

The back row is unchanged from last week's match, with Roger Wilson at number eight, Robbie Diack at blindside flanker and Clive Ross selected at openside.

Forwards, Rob Herring, Andrew Warwick, Bronson Ross, Lewis Stevenson and Sean Reidy join backs Paul Marshall, Payne and Nelson on the replacements' bench.

Ulster lie fifth in the table, one point behind fourth-placed Leinster, while Treviso are 11th, having won just two matches so far this season.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30745413
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 9th January 2015

PART III

Stuart McCloskey commits to Ulster for two years
One of Irish Rugby’s most highly rated young talents, Stuart McCloskey, has signed his first senior contract with Ulster Rugby.

The two-year deal means that the ex Bangor Grammar School pupil will be at Kingspan Stadium until at least the summer of 2017.

A product of the Hughes Insurance Ulster Academy, McCloskey made his debut for the province against Newport Gwent Dragons in February last year.

He has made 12 appearances for Ulster so far and was man-of-the-match against Edinburgh earlier this season. He was also voted Bank of Ireland Ulster Player of the Month for November.

His form last season resulted in the 22 year-old being selected on the Emerging Ireland tour to Romania.

Commenting on his contract, Stuart said:

“Every young rugby player wants to play for the first team and wants to sign a professional contract and I feel very fortunate now to have done both of those things with the province that I am from and that I support.

“We have a fantastic group of players, great facilities and excellent coaches so signing the contract was not a difficult decision. As at every top rugby side, competition for starting places is high, but I am aiming to play as much rugby as possible over the next two seasons and to help Ulster be successful.”

Bryn Cunningham, Ulster Rugby’s Team Manager added:

“Ever since he made his debut last season, Stuart has looked completely at home in an Ulster shirt. He has all the talents and physical attributes required to make it to the very top – his pace, huge strength and skill have resulted in him causing problems for every defence he has been up against.

“He is only going to get better and I am extremely pleased that this talented young player has committed his future to Ulster Rugby.”
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... ears-.aspx
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 10th January 2015

Ulster now facing up to reality and low expectations
Best foot forward: Darren Cave trains with Ulster ahead of the trip to face Treviso in Italy
Darren Cave admits that in years gone by, tomorrow's trip to Treviso may have been seen as something of an appetiser for a European main course but, given the team's Champions Cup failures, all eyes will now be on northern Italy.

Ulster face two giants of the European game over the next fortnight - visiting back-to-back champions Toulon and welcoming two-time winners Leicester Tigers to the Kingspan Stadium - but, having already lost three pool games, their Champions Cup prospects remain nothing more than a mathematical improbability.

It will be the first year since 2010 that Ulster have failed to nail down a quarter-final spot in Europe come January, while even that season saw them enter the new year with a realistic chance of overhauling Stade Francais for a place in the last eight, and Cave affirms that the focus is now very much on domestic matters.

Before travelling to Treviso, he stated: "It's a bit different to the last couple of years.

"We could have been let away with taking our eye off the ball and worrying about two massive Champions Cup games.

"We still do have those two massive games coming in the weeks after but we don't have too much to play for. We're very much focused on this week.

"Treviso had a couple of massive games over Christmas against Zebre. They have a lot at stake with international selection and qualification for the European Cup so they had a couple of big performances."

Cave - who will once again be partnered in the centre by fellow Irish international Stuart Olding - grabbed an early try during Ulster's last visit to the Stadio Comunale Di Monigo, but only a Robbie Diack score and four points from the boot of Ruan Pienaar were added thereafter, and then-coach Mark Anscombe escaped with a narrow 14-12 victory.

They had been fought off with ease in the reverse fixture, as well as twice in the Heineken Cup, but the memory of that struggle last February sticks in the mind of Cave.

"We've had a bit of trouble in Italy, as have most of the sides in the league, so we're under no illusions as to how tough it's going to be," said the 27-year-old.

"Looking at their games, they have been far better than their results would suggest.

"We said it about Zebre's home form, being very good, before they beat us in September and Treviso are the same."

Over the festive period, Treviso beat Zebre home and away - a feat that Ulster will not manage this season - to take themselves off the bottom of the league and into pole position to claim Italy's sole Champions Cup place next season.

As such, and in contrast to Ulster, they will come into the contest in a relatively rich vein of form.

Cave continued: "They have beaten Zebre back to back over Christmas, and we've already lost there this season, so we have no reason to believe it's going to be anything other than another really, really tough game."

For those, like Cave, who are hoping to be involved with Ireland over the coming months, tomorrow's game will no doubt bring thoughts of another trip to Italy looming on the horizon - the reigning Six Nations champions begin this year's campaign against Jacques Brunel's men in the Stadio Olimpico four weeks from today.

However, even after impressing against Leinster last weekend, the eight-times capped international insists he hasn't given much thought to his prospects of earning another chance in the green 13 jersey occupied for so long by Brian O'Driscoll.

"One thing I have been adamant about before is that if you worry about your Irish form then, with the centres we have up here, you'll lose your place at Ulster.

"It's about trying to play well week to week and taking it from there.

"Saturday (against Leinster) was good. With the inter-pros, it's two good teams always playing, especially with Connacht now going so well, and there's a lot of fighting for Irish jerseys.

"For me it was a great opportunity to go up against Luke Fitzgerald and I'm sure he relished the same against me.

"This game, this week, obviously it's not an Irish derby but every time you play it's an opportunity to stake a claim."

Ulster will need Cave, and the rest of their Six Nations hopefuls, to do just that tomorrow.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 95992.html

Doak's men out to put previous struggles behind them
In it together: Ulster players at yesterday’s training session at the Kingspan Stadium
Before we all buy into the notion that it is only Ulster's contemporary fortunes that should have us sitting uneasily over tomorrow's gathering at Stadio Monigo (kick-off 2.00 UK time and live on BBC NI) there is the little matter of their previous three PRO12 visits.

And though the intention is not to cause undue alarm about the must-win game, Ulster have found it tricky enough to secure victories over in Treviso when it comes to PRO12 encounters with the Italians, never mind the still raw hurt from their shock defeat to Zebre back in September.

Last February, Ulster only escaped from Treviso to the tune of 14-12 while on their previous visit in November 2012 they scraped through by a mere 16-15.

Eight months earlier it was also a tight squeak in the league when Ulster secured it with just four points to spare (27-23), so there does - European visits, or most of them anyway, aside - seem to be a certain pattern to these games over in northern Italy.

It's true that meeting them in and around international tournaments hasn't exactly helped but, if anything, that should be more problematic for the Italians.

Tomorrow, though, all this baggage must be thrown aside as an Ulster side will be running out in Treviso with a win the only acceptable outcome.

Ulster's rather miserable record when leaving the Kingspan Stadium behind them - one win, one draw and six defeats from eight games in all competitions - will just have to be halted against a side one place off the bottom of the table.

If Neil Doak is feeling the pressure from his side's struggles with form and injuries, then tomorrow really ought to relieve some of that strain.

Even though Franco van der Merwe is missing due to illness, skipper Rory Best, Dan Tuohy, Wiehahn Herbst and Robbie Diack are all still on board while Tommy Bowe has shaken off the dead leg picked up against Leinster.

Ulster go to Italy with a pretty settled side as the only changes are the return of Louis Ludik and the inclusion of second row Alan O'Connor from last weekend's disappointing but not unexpected defeat against Leinster at the RDS.

And with Jared Payne on the replacements bench, and poised for his first game-time since winning his first Ireland cap against South Africa back in November, Doak will have some extra attacking flair to deploy when required.

It will be interesting to see whether it is Paddy Jackson or Ruan Pienaar taking the all-important pots at goal.

Yes, it could be close again but, unless something goes spectacularly wrong, Ulster should get what they need to allow them to breathe that bit more easily.

Stuart McCloskey has signed his first senior contract with Ulster Rugby.

The two-year deal means that the ex Bangor Grammar School pupil will be at Kingspan Stadium until at least the summer of 2017.

A product of the Hughes Insurance Ulster Academy, McCloskey made his debut against Newport Gwent Dragons last February.

He has made 12 appearances for Ulster so far and was man-of-the-match against Edinburgh earlier this season.

"Every young player wants to play for the first team and wants to sign a professional contract and I feel very fortunate now to have done both of those things with the province that I am from and that I support," said McCloskey.

"We have a fantastic group of players, great facilities and excellent coaches so signing the contract was not a difficult decision.

"As at every top rugby side, competition for starting places is high, but I am aiming to play as much rugby as possible over the next two seasons and to help Ulster be successful."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 95985.html

Peter Nelson aims to seize his chance when it comes
Raring to go: Peter Nelson could make his 20th Ulster appearance tomorrow against Treviso
Peter Nelson is hoping to make his 20th appearance for Ulster tomorrow which, over the course of four seasons, is hardly the most uplifting number of returns but he has just had to bide his time and wait for the chances to come along.

While injuries have also impacted upon the 22-year-old's game-time for his province, it has generally been a frustrating few seasons for Nelson for whom nine of his Ulster games came two seasons ago while most of his appearances at this level have been from the bench.

Indeed, this weekend will see the former Ireland U20 player, who can play full-back, wing and also out-half, again on the bench and returning to Treviso for only the second time since making his Ulster debut back in December 2011 when Brian McLaughlin sent an extremely callow side to Dublin where Leinster, almost needless to say, gave them a bit of a tanking.

Still, he does at least have a good reason to recall his last visit to northern Italy in November 2012 when the then 20-year-old scored his first and, as yet, only try for Ulster when he received a rather unlikely assist from prop Tom Court, though he still had to work hard and show his pace to make the corner.

And it was just as well Nelson did make it as Ulster escaped with a win from that game by the skin of their teeth, a mere 16-15 victory on what was then only his fourth appearance.

Scoring again - if he gets his chance from the bench, Louis Ludik replacing him in the starting line-up - would be ideal though the former Royal School Dungannon pupil would prefer if, this time, the game goes in Ulster's favour with a little bit more to spare.

"Yes, I got my first and only try there," says the player currently on a development contract which is due to expire at season's end.

He is, understandably, far more talkative about the task at hand facing the Kingspan Stadium squad who know that their recent wobbles must be put behind them against a Treviso side sitting in 11th spot with only two wins - and recent ones, too, over Italian rivals Zebre.

"We haven't got the results recently but we're in fifth and five off the top," he says.

"We've a few home games to come and Treviso to play twice. We'd be hoping to get wins and we've still teams to play who are in the bottom half of the league so I don't think we're in a bad place," Nelson adds.

"Ideally we'd like to be in the top four but we're only one point off Leinster.

"We can't afford to panic and we don't need to. I don't think the wins are far away."

His argument seems valid enough though Ulster's away record - recalling in particular last September's defeat at Zebre - has, so far, been pretty shabby.

Nelson had a solid enough game in the 24-11 defeat to Leinster at the RDS last Saturday and dealt with the aerial stuff thrown his way as well as breaking into open country at one point in the second half.

Though describing a gutted changing room afterwards, from a game where Ulster's errors had let Leinster ultimately work their way into a winning position, Nelson had reason to be reasonably satisfied with his own personal performance.

If Nelson plays tomorrow it will be his sixth game this season and another chance to impress, particularly as he is not registered in the European squad and will not therefore feature in the next two games.

"If I make the most of these opportunities now, the coaches, come Six Nations time, will not be afraid to put you in and the more game-time I get now, well that will hopefully keep me going," is Nelson's hope.

It's an aim worth striving to achieve.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 96386.html

The other side: Treviso about to find life even tougher
Job done: Treviso’s Michele Campagnaro celebrates his try in last week’s win against Zebre with his team-mates
When all is said and done, it doesn't really sit too comfortably that the only side Treviso really have to beat in the PRO12 is Zebre.

Maybe that does seem rather condescending as any team will always want to maximise their season by running up as many victories as possible but the reality of the new restructured European qualification system via the PRO12 has ensured that one Italian side will make the Champions Cup on the sole proviso that they finish above their national rivals in the league.

In one fell swoop, then, the essence of the season, for both Treviso and Zebre, boils down to how the local derbies fare if, of course, you are working on the assumption that Champions Cup is something worth being in for an Italian side even more likely to be humiliatingly put through the wringer in the new streamlined Europe than was the case before.

At the moment, it is Treviso who are in pole position having seen off Zebre in their festive derbies to take 11th place and consign their local rivals to bottom spot, though there are only two points between them.

Even though they have managed to win their last two games, though, it has all been played out to rather sombre backbeat as these clashes represent Treviso's only successes of the season.

Theirs is a story of hope, growth and, now, rather steep decline with those heady days when they managed a seventh place finish in the league back in 2012-13, in just their third season playing at this level, now seeming as if they could surely never have happened.

The Champions Cup has been particularly unforgiving with the second of their back-to-back games with Northampton Saints jumping out at all who argue that Italian regional rugby is going backwards at a fairly swift rate of knots.

Treviso were quite simply obliterated in an 11-try romp which saw the Saints end the day winning by a mere 67-0.

And then another low point came six days after the Franklins Gardens slaughter when they were hammered out of the gate 48-0 at Edinburgh in what was a 10th straight PRO12 defeat which saw the Italians concede six tries and also lose replacement Romulo Acosta to a red card for a punch.

And, yes, it will hardly come as a surprise to find out that the Italians have managed two red cards which is more than anyone else with Ulster, Glasgow and the Scarlets their nearest challengers on one each while with 11 yellow cards already racked up they are third behind Zebre (14) and Edinburgh (12) when it comes to sin-binnings.

There are more stats to add to the grim reading as Treviso have also managed to concede more points than anyone in the league (346) and more tries (43).

As for tomorrow, they have made seven changes to the side which saw off Zebre with flanker Alessandro Zanni and scrum-half Edoardo Gori both notably returning to the starting side to add experience.

The wins over Zebre may indeed have boosted their belief as did the memory of their 24-24 draw with Leinster last November and some close calls with Ulster over the last few seasons.

Even so, Treviso go into this one more in hope than expectation.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 95987.html

Treviso no pushovers as Ulster bid to end away woes Image
Dan Tuohy, Ulster, in action against Edoardo Gori and Robert Barbieri, Benetton Treviso in December 2013
IF ULSTER are to turn their season around, they need to start winning tomorrow, so signs of life from Treviso could not have come at a worse time for Neil Doak's men.

The Italians went into Christmas without a win and then beat Zebre twice in nine days to breathe momentum into their campaign.

Suddenly, the Stadio Monigo is an altogether different prospect for a team with a poor away record and patchy recent form.

Fifth in the table, just five points off leaders Ospreys, the northern province are far from out of the running after their defeat to Leinster but the nature of their second-half collapse is a cause for real concern when their European capitulation is taken into account.

Discipline has been their key problem . Dan Tuohy was lording it at the RDS until his stupid yellow card, while their last trip to Italy ended in defeat after Declan Fitzpatrick opted to unload in retaliation on Andrea Mancini.

Their capacity to give away cheap penalties at the breakdown is another concern.

Strong

While Leinster and Munster have rested big names with Europe in mind, Doak has gone with as strong a side as he could.

That means a return for full-back Louis Ludik as the impressive Peter Nelson drops to the bench, but Franco van der Merwe is a loss as he misses out with a chest infection.

Their backline crackled with intent at times last weekend, but they couldn't get over the Leinster line and grew frustrated. Doak will no doubt stress the importance of patience this time around against hosts whose defensive capacity lessens as the phases wear on.

There was some good news off the pitch yesterday when Stuart McCloskey penned a new two-year deal to join Tuohy in committing himself to the cause, but they badly need some cheer on it.

The return of Jared Payne to the bench promises much for province and country - Joe Schmidt will watch closely.

There is no doubt that Ulster have gone backwards after their summer of upheaval and their away record of six defeats in a row is a big indicator of that malaise. If they are to resurrect their campaign, then victory in Italy tomorrow is crucial. It just might not come easily,

Verdict: Ulster
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/t ... 96538.html

Ulster coach Neil Doak beginning to shape starting side
Jared Payne will be on the replacements bench for Pro12 match against Treviso at Stadio Monigo on Sunday. Inpho
Ulster head coach Neil Doak is finally closing in on a starting XV capable of cleaning up the mess caused by last summer’s mass exodus.

Jared Payne makes the bench, following a two-month lay off following injury in his run at centre for Ireland in November, with Louis Ludik returning to fullback. That sees Peter Nelson, quite impressive against Leinster, also benched which means no room for Luke Marshall.

With an eye to the Six Nations, Tommy Bowe has recovered from a dead leg, Stuart Olding can continue his impressive form at inside centre and Dan Tuohy remains a contender to provide cover behind Devin Toner and Paul O’Connell in Rome next month.

Franco van der Merwe, still endeavouring to fill the boots of the retired Johann Muller, misses his first game of the season with a chest infection leaving the pack without four frontliners as Chris Henry, Iain Henderson and Nick Williams are also left at home.

It’s unclear when that trio will return. Not that it really matters away to Toulon or home to Leicester as the Pro12 is the priority not, and not Europe.

All told, with Ruan Pienaar returning to full health alongside Paddy Jackson, the expected victory here could put them into a playoff spot should Leinster lose in Cardiff. McCloskey Meanwhile, Stuart McCloskey has signed his first senior contract with Ulster. The two-year deal means the ex Bangor Grammar School pupil will be at Kingspan Stadium until at least the summer of 2017.

McCloskey, who made his debut against Newport Gwent Dragons last February, has made 12 appearances for Ulster so far and was man-of-the-match against Edinburgh earlier this season.

Verdict: Ulster win.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/p ... -1.2060892

Ulster go strong to Italy as they target an end to away day blues
There was mixed news for Ulster head coach, Neil Doak, on the injury front ahead of naming his team for Sunday’s Guinness PRO12 game against in Italy against Benetton Treviso.

While he was able to welcome back Ireland utility back Jared Payne – out injured since making his debut with Ireland at the start of November – South African lock, Franco van der Merwe was ruled out.

The big second row will miss his first game of the season with a chest infection.

It provides Hughes Insurance Academy player Alan O’Connor with a start.

That enforced change was one of two made by Doak, the other being the return as planned after a week’s rest of Louis Ludik at fullback.

Although Doak has admitted they have had to put huge demands on many of their players due to the extensive injury crisis they are experiencing, it came as no surprise yesterday when he named his strongest possible side for the game against the stuggling Italians.

Ulster have lost their last six away games in all competitions – four in the PRO12 – and there is an urgency for tide to be turned.

The PRO12 is apriority now for Ulster as they look not only to push towards the play-offs at the end of the season, but curcially secure a place in next season’s European Champions Cup, determined by fnishing positions in the PRO12.

Ulster will target the game on Sunday and then welcome the Italian side to Belfast in three weeks time and look to complete the double.

In between Ulster travel to Toulon and host Leicester in the Heineken Cup – there are almost certainly likely to be given opportunities to fit periphery players for the game in France next week.

Although Treviso are sitting second from bottom in the table, they have won their last two games (both against Zebre) and earlier in the season, Leinster could only muster a draw over there.

There are big pressures on Ulster to perform and there also expectations they will deliver but Doak was urging caution.

“Treviso have done something we have not this year and that was win in Zebre,” said Doak, as he recalled the shock defeat early in the season.

“They are a good side and are buoyed by having two wins on the trot. You can be sure they will be gunning for us when we get over there.”

Key for Ulster will be making sure their set piece remains the envy of every team in the league.

If the forwards can lay the platform once again then the opportunities will come – it is just a matter of then finding that clincial edge which has eluded them for the past couple of months.

Forwards coach, Allen Clarke said of the set piece: “We set exceptionally high standards in this club and our pack are proud of their set piece game.

“But we know there is much more to the game and there are other areas we have addressed and want to improve on – we expect to see that bear fruits this weekend.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-6513723
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 10th January 2015

PART II

ACADEMY MANAGER - ULSTER RUGBY
The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) is the governing body for the sport of rugby union in Ireland. It comprises of four provincial branches of Connacht, Leinster, Munster and Ulster, as well as the national governing body.

We are currently seeking a dynamic and results driven individual to lead the Ulster Rugby Academy. Responsible to the High Performance Manager, IRFU, and the Director of Rugby, Ulster Rugby, the post-holder will be based at Kingspan Stadium, Belfast. A key focus of the role will be to oversee the strategies and long-term Provincial objectives of the elite pathway aligned to IRFU LTPD and Technical models. With a proven track record of achievement in developing players for the elite representative game of rugby union, the successful candidate will also have the competence to manage effectively, motivate others and develop relationships.

A full job description and person specification is available by clicking here.

For a confidential discussion regarding this post, please contact Karen Brown, HR Manager (Ulster Rugby) on +44 7769 174552.

To apply, please download an application form and return it, along with a covering letter outlining your suitability for this post (no more than one A4 page), via email to recruit@ulsterrugby.com or via post to The Monitoring Officer, Ulster Rugby, Kingspan Stadium, 85 Ravenhill Park, Belfast BT6 0DG.

The closing date and time for receipt of applications is 10am on Monday 19th January 2015. We regret that applications received after this date and time cannot be considered. Shortlisting is scheduled for 20th January with interviews planned for week commencing 26th January.

The IRFU is an equal opportunities employer and as such welcomes applications regardless of community background, sex, disability, gender orientation, race or creed.

VISITOR SERVICES MANAGER - ULSTER RUGBY

The IRFU Ulster Branch will open a new education and heritage facility called 'The Nevin Spence Centre' in Spring 2015 at Kingspan Stadium, the home of Ulster Rugby. This will be Northern Ireland’s first sports heritage facility and will offer an innovative experience for a wide range of visitors, incorporating a stadium tour, an exhibition visit and education workshops.

We are now looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Visitor Services Manager to play a key operational role, with lead responsibility for our Visitor Services Team and the public facing areas of the venue. Applicants must have the skills and experience to create a welcoming and friendly visitor centre; combined with excellent management skills and the ability to ensure delivery of our long-term strategic vision.

This role is highly developmental, with great opportunities for professional and personal growth. The successful candidate will be pro-active, highly motivated and have a proven track record of operational management within a visitor-focused environment. The role offers autonomy with great scope for the visitor experience to grow with the attraction.

A full job description and person specification is available by clicking here.

To apply, please download an application form and return it, along with a covering letter outlining your suitability for this post (no more than one A4 page), via email to recruit@ulsterrugby.com or via post to The Monitoring Officer, Ulster Rugby, Kingspan Stadium, 85 Ravenhill Park, BELFAST, BT6 0DG.

Any queries regarding the recruitment process can be emailed to recruit@ulsterrugby.com or alternatively the HR department can be contacted on +44 28 9049 3111.

The closing date and time for receipt of applications is 10am on Monday 19th January 2015. We regret that applications received after this date and time cannot be considered.

Ulster Rugby is an equal opportunities employer and as such welcomes applications regardless of community background, sex, disability, gender orientation, race or creed.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/Team/Jobs.aspx

Payne set to make Ulster return in Treviso
Ireland’s Jared Payne returns to a strong Ulster’s match-day squad for tomorrow’s difficult Pro12 trip to Treviso.

Payne — out with a foot injury sustained on his international debut against South Africa in November — should see game time as coach Neil Doak makes two changes from the side that lost to Leinster last week. South African Louis Ludik, the only non-international in the back line, returns at full-back after being rested last week while Franco van Der Merwe misses out due to a chest infection, with Alan O’Connor named alongside Dan Tuohy.

Winger Tommy Bowe has recovered sufficiently from a dead leg to continue on the right wing while Rory Best will skipper a side desperate to finish in the play-offs.

Best said: “We know that first and foremost we have to be the top four of the Pro12 by the end of the league competition. We know we are a top four team and we know we can be in those play-offs.”

Best has vowed not to go down without a fight in the European Champions Cup next weekend.

“We will certainly give it our all in Toulon next week. They are the defending champions and a world class team and irrespective of what happens we will not be rolling over in Belfast when Leicester come the following week.

“There are a lot of injuries in the squad and the people coming in are doing a job. We have said as a group that it is not the 15 who lift the trophy that count, it is the guys who get you there. Leinster, whom we played last week, are probably the ultimate example of that. They went from fourth or fifth to top from the points they picked up during the Six Nations, when their front liners were away last season.

“We are still scrapping away, we are still in there at the right end of the table.”

He added: “If we can keep our boys trucking away and keep getting the wins and get a bit of a run on during the Six Nations period, then we will be there. Starting on Sunday it is time for us to hit form.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 06218.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Sunday 11th January 2015

GUINNESS PRO 12 MATCHDAY 13

Pressure is building for Ulster to make progress Image
The return of Jared Payne is perfectly timed both for province and country
When Ulster travelled to Treviso last season it was on the back of some outstanding form in Europe and the Pro12, with consecutive wins over Munster, Montpelier, Leicester and Ospreys. Even so they were hard pressed to get out of Stadio Monigo with a two-point win.

Fast forward to this season and we're in a different world. It's just as well that the Italians are a pale image of the team that over previous seasons could give anyone a heap of hurry-up on their own patch, for Ulster are in dire need of assistance.

Were it not for their patchy win over Connacht over Christmas, they'd have zero returns from the last four games, and their away form is wretched, with six defeats on the trot in all competitions. So they are under acute pressure this afternoon to get a win in Treviso.

Never mind the need for a tonic ahead of going to Toulon next weekend to face the European champions, their preoccupation is to get further up the league table - so on that front both Connacht and Scarlets losing on Friday night gives them a chance to make progress today.

The return of Jared Payne then is perfectly timed both for province and country. He's on the bench this afternoon having been out since tearing foot ligaments against South Africa in November.

With Louis Ludik at fullback, it's a strong combination behind the scrum, and a pack good enough to overcome a home outfit who were hit for 48 points the last time they played non-Italian opposition, Edinburgh, just before Christmas.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/u ... 97644.html

Ulster go to Italy in search of badly needed win
Treviso come into this clash with Ulster after their back-to-back victories over Italian rivals Zebre over the festive period and with that will be bristling with confidence and eager to land a hat-trick of victories, which would push them up to within a point of 10th placed Dragons.

Ulster, by contrast, come into the tie after an extremely poor run of form that stretches right back to 21 November, their last good outing, when they saw off Ospreys in style 25-16 at Kingspan Stadium.

In the Pro12 they’ve shipped defeats to Munster, Ospreys and Leinster, as well as sneaking past Connacht by three points with a very unconvincing performance. In the Champions Cup things have been little better, with a scrappy win over Scarlets followed by a comprehensive defeat to the same team the following weekend.

In short, they’ve been a little all over the shop, struggling for consistency and seeming to lack killer punches in games despite being able to put decent phases together for patches. Inconsistent is the most consistent description for them - so far - this season.

As a result this game becomes all the more important; it’s a chance to stop the tide and put in a very solid away performance built on a strong display from the pack, and finished off by a backline that clicks.

The team selected is definitely good enough to blow Treviso away. Louis Ludik, Tommy Bowe, Darren Cave, Stuart Olding, Craig Gilroy, Paddy Jackson and Ruan Pienaar are all named and make a superb backline. Up front Rory Best, Wihahn Herbst, Dan Tuohy, Robbie Diack and Roger Wilson provide a spine that I can’t see the Italians living with.

Alessandro Zanni will do his best to disrupt the Ulster platform at openside, Cornelius van Zyl is the enforcer in the pack at lock.

Out wide Andrea Pratichetti, Michele Campagnaro and Angelo Esposito are the danger men. But in truth, only if Ulster deliver an under par performance is this Italian XV capable of taking four points.

If Ulster use their recent black patch as incentive, keep 15 men on the pitch - unlike when they faced Zebre in Parma back in September, and use possession wisely, they should have enough to end their six-match away losing streak, pulling away in the final quarter.

Verdict: Ulster to win by 12.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/pro12/201 ... eeded-win/
Weather.png
Weather.png (12.34 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
That is our lot for this Sunday morning. I only hope there is something more
substantial to stick here this evening to lift the spirits.

SUFTUM.jpg
SUFTUM.jpg (16.41 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Sunday 11th January 2015

GUINNESS PRO 12 MATCHDAY 13 THE RESULT

Treviso 20 : 24 Ulster

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Ulster throw away bonus point in TrevisoImage
Ulster won only their second away match of the season, however they will be extremely disappointed not to take a bonus point away from Treviso in their 24-20 victory at the Stadio di Monigo.

The away side took a commanding lead after just 26 minutes through tries from Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar and Tommy Bowe, however they failed to get the crucial fourth try that would give them an extra league point.

Treviso struck back through tries from Sam Christie and Francesco Minto, scoring 20 unanswered points, however they couldn’t find the try that would win them the game.

The win keeps Ulster in fifth, but the main take away from the game will be how the Irish side should have come away with all five points considering their dominant first half performance.

The visitors stated their intentions by kicking for the corner from all penalties, and they were rewarded for their positivity when fly-half Paddy Jackson stabbed a kick through and gathered it to score the opening try in the sixth minute.

Treviso struck back with some fast play resulting in Craig Gilroy seeing yellow – referee Ben Whitehouse adjudging the winger’s offside position cynical enough to warrant ten minutes in the sin bin.

Despite being a man down, Ulster extended their lead to 10-0 through a 19th minute Paddy Jackson penalty.

The returning Gilroy then played a major part in the next two tries, firstly making the space for Ruan Pienaar down the wing and then making the initial break that led to Tommy Bowe’s try.

Pienaar was in the right place at the right time to benefit from Gilroy’s foray down the flank in the 23rd minute, and then three minutes later a pass inside from Paddy Jackson to Bowe set the winger away for the third try.

At 24-0 up through 26 minutes, it looked like the bonus point was going to be a formality for the away side, but that was as good as it got for Ulster.

Instead it was Treviso who began their comeback just before the break when fly-half Sam Christie gathered a chip kick through and managed to hold off the challenge of Tommy Bowe to score in the corner.

Ulster continued to seek the fourth try for the bonus point they so dearly craved, but they could not find it and instead found their lead cut to just ten when substitute Francesco Minto crossed for Treviso.

The initial line break in midfield by Luca Morisi put the hosts on the front foot and back rower Minto was on hand to drive over the line from close range to give Treviso their second try.

Indeed the momentum had swung completely and in some ways it wasn’t much of a surprise when Jayden Hayward brought the gap back to four with two quick penalties.

In the last few minutes Ulster tried desperately to find that fourth try, although they very nearly threw it away when Michele Campagnaro intercepted the ball in midfield but agonisingly lost control of it with the try line begging.

Instead, Ulster held on for the victory by the skin of their teeth, but there are serious questions to be asked after the second half performance that saw them nearly throw away a 24 point lead.
http://wordinsport.com/index.php/ulster ... t-treviso/

Ulster cling on at Treviso
Ulster survived a late scare away in Italy to Treviso, clinging on for a 24-20 win at the Stadio Monigo on Sunday.

Tries from Tommy Bowe and Ruan Pienaar helped Ulster defeat Treviso and remain in fifth place in the table.

The Irishmen dominated the contest for most of the first half, and seemed to be out of sight at half time. The second half though witnessed a marvellous Treviso fightback, through a well-taken try from Francesco Minto to complement a first half effort from Sam Christie.

While the turnaround owed just as much to Ulster inefficiency as Treviso invention, there is no doubt that the hosts thoroughly deserved their losing bonus point, and Treviso will actually have been disappointed not to have sneaked it at the end.

By the final whistle Ulster had done just about enough to prevail despite not scoring in the second half, but will surely ask questions about how they let such a commanding lead slip away.

The game began untidily, with Ulster dominating possession in the opening exchanges. Treviso struggled to get attain much territory, and put themselves under unnecessary pressure by a couple of dubious decisions to run the ball out of their 22.

The enterprise of the Irish side was evident, with Pienaar keeping the tempo and intensity high. And this early pressure earned an inevitable reward on six minutes when a neat chip and chase in the Treviso 22 allowed Jackson to gather his own kick, and touch down under the posts. The Irish international converted his own try to put Ulster 0-7 ahead, and with all the early momentum.

The hosts responded well, though, building sustained pressure of their own in the Ulster half. The Italians launched a series of attacks in the Ulster 22, and seemed to have negotiated their way over on the 10-minute mark, but Irish wing Craig Gilroy managed to obstruct the try.

Referee Ben Whitehouse adjudged that Gilroy's intervention had been illegal, however, and the international winger was dispatched to the sin-bin for his indiscretion.

From a Treviso perspective, it was a pity that they didn't earn more from this rare venture into Ulster territory, as they seemed to be building nicely through the superb Jayden Hayward.

But Ulster retained control through their efficient half-backs, and Jackson added an impressive 19th minute penalty to increase Ulster's advantage to 0-10. The visitors had an iron grip on possession, but Treviso weren't helped by the performance of hooker Davide Giazzon, who was having a difficult afternoon with his thro.

The visitors emphasised their superiority on 22 minutes when Gilroy went on a trademark run down the left wing before calmly drawing his man, and putting Pienaar away unopposed to score Ulster's second try. Jackson converted to make it 0-17, and things were looking pretty healthy from an Ulster point of view.

It got even better when Bowe cut a trademark line from a short Jackson pass to evade the home defence and score.

With ten minutes still to go before half time, Ulster seemed well on course for the bonus point try.

The Belfast side had certainly been very clinical in the first half, but they were aided by the passivity of the Treviso defence. Right on the cusp of half-time though, the hosts grabbed a lifeline with a good try.

Full-back Hayward took a recycled ball from a ruck in the Ulster 22, and with nothing much on, cleverly chipped through to the left hand corner where a grateful Christie had won the race to score his side's first try. Hayward converted to make it 7-24 at the interval.

As the second half started, Ulster weren't exactly in cruise control, but it was the Italian hosts that had all the work to do.

The half began with the visitors camped in the Treviso 22, and Ulster were clearly determined to bag the bonus point as soon as possible. But the visitors lacked the clinical touch they had the first half, as they fumbled and mishandled the ball.

In the end, it was the Italians that scored next. Big number eight Dean Budd made several bursts in Ulster's 22, and the hosts bombarded Ulster's line. The visitors' defence kept Treviso at bay initially, but when replacement Minto picked and drove on 56 minutes, there was no stopping him from a couple of yards out.

The hosts reduced the deficit further on 67 minutes when Hayward slotted another penalty to make it 17-24.

The Treviso comeback was now on through sheer perseverance, but there was no doubt that Ulster had been needlessly profligate with ball in hand. And when Hayward nailed another penalty on 72 minutes, it was incredibly a four-point ball game.

The visitors biting their fingernails by this stage, but when they were awarded a 76 minute penalty in the Treviso 22, they still had the belief to go to the corner rather than take the points.

Ulster's nerves were compounded when they knocked on at the ensuing lineout, though, and the Irishmen proceeded to make a hash of their attempts to close out the game.

The Irishmen gifted possession to Treviso, and were repeatedly forced to scramble. Despite their palpable nerves, Ulster held on for a much needed win, but in reality they should have wrapped it up much earlier.
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 41,00.html

Ulster hold on to overcome Treviso in Italy
Paddy Jackson stood out as Ulster impressed in opening half before almost slipping up
Ulster’s Paddy Jackson socres a try for Ulster Inpho
Ulster have suffered enough set-backs in Europe this season without adding a layer of trauma from the Pro12 but they came so close to blowing a 24-0 lead on Sunday at Stadio Monigo.

That lead was built up with three tries in the opening 25 minutes, even with a man in the bin, but Ulster failed to build on that and not only didn’t get a bonus point but nearly handed the win to the Italians in the dying seconds.

Paddy Jackson, who was the main instigator of Ulster’s brilliant opening half performance, could only watch in horror as centre Michele Campagnaro intercepted his pass in midfield with a clear run to the line as Ulster had pushed forward in a final fling at getting the bonus point.

Up in the stand, where the vocal home following went wild, Neil Doak could barely watch.

“I didn’t see him drop the ball after the intercept,” admitted Doak afterwards, but the groans from the passionate home fans were enough to tell him Ulster had escaped.

“Professional sport, there are fine margins across the board. Unfortunately for us it got that stage where it was pretty tight and after having a good start.

“I said to the guys - away games are all tough and we got that foundation to kick on and unfortunately we didn’t do it. But I am delighted to get the four points.”

Ulster laid out their intentions from the outset, going for the corner with a penalty in front of the posts and two minutes later the pressure paid off when Jackson chased his own grubber to score his first try of the season.

He added the conversion and a penalty to lead 10-0 after 18 minutes despite having Craig Gilroy binned for an infringement when it seemed Treviso were poised to score in the corner.

A strong counter-attack by Ulster saw Gilroy mark his return to action by slipping the final pass for Ruan Pienaar to canter over.

A wonderful inside pass from Jackson sent Tommy Bowe who passed a late fitness test on a thigh injury, over for his 59th league try.

But that was as good as it got for Ulster. Sam Christie pulled back a try for Treviso and his New Zealand compatriot Jayden Hayward converted to make it 24-7 at the break.

Ulster sent penalties in front of the posts to the corners in the second half but came away with nothing each time.

Treviso grew in confidence and got real hope when Italian flanker Francesco Minto scored after a good drive. Hayward continued his splendid kicking to convert and then haul back the deficit to just four points, but Ulster held out in a nervous finish.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/p ... -1.2062115

Ulster hold on for victory in Italy
Ulster's Stuart Olding is brought down by Benetton Treviso players Sportsfile
Ulster survived a strong rally from Benetton Treviso to record a vital 24-20 victory in the Guinness PRO12 at the Stadio Comunale di Monigo.

Neil Doak's side were low on confidence having won only one of their last four games but Ulster dominated the first half as they crossed the Treviso try-line three times.

Paddy Jackson converted his own sixth-minute try and Ulster continued to pile up the points despite wing Craig Gilroy being shown a yellow card after 10 minutes.

Jackson landed a penalty and Ruan Pienaar soon crossed for his first try of the season which was also converted by the accurate Ulster outside-half.

When Tommy Bowe went in for another converted try Ulster had scored 24 points in as many minutes and were seemingly on their way to a convincing bonus point victory.

But Treviso soon discovered the spirit which had brought them back-to-back wins over Zebre and had them chasing a third successive victory for the first time since December 2012.
Sportsfile

Outside-half Sam Christie's try two minutes before the break gave Treviso hope before replacement Francesco Minto crossed and Jayden Hayward added his second conversion to reduce the deficit to 10 points.

Hayward kicked two penalties in the final quarter but Treviso were unable to get the try which would have capped a remarkable comeback.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/g ... 98550.html

Ulster cling on to end away day blues with win over Benetton Treviso
In a game of two contrasting halves, Ulster clung on to register their first away victory in six matches - four in the Guinness PRO12 - and remain in fifth position in the table.

But the Irish Province, having scored three tries in a dominant first half performance against lacked the clincial edge they have talked about improving for the past three months and were clinging on at the end to take the win.

Ulster scored 24 unanswered points in the first half before Treviso crossed for a converted try at the end of the half, which was to inspire them in the second - scoring 13 mores points and picking up a losing bonus point for their efforts.

Ulster had dominated the first half, reflected in their 24-7 advantage at the interval.

Outhalf Paddy Jackson showed some individual brilliance to open the scoring on six minutes when he chipped the defence and raced through to gather. He converted his own try to make it 7-0.

Ulster winger, Craig Gilroy was then sin-binned but in the 19th minute Jackson increased the advantage to 10 points with a penalty.

The Ulster dominance continued when Ruan Pienaar and Tommy Bowe went over for tries on 22 and 25 minutes respectively, Jackson making it four from four with the boot and a 24-0 lead.

But the Italians enjoyed a purple patch to end the half and Christie went over for a try two minutes from the break, converted by Jordan Hayward to leave it 24-7.

It was expected that Ulster would simply press on in the second half and secure their try scoring bonus point, but the fourth try never came as Treviso went on to dominate the second half.

They scored 13 unanswered points to leave Ulster shaking in their boots for a nervy finish.

Minto started the Treviso revival with a try on 57 minutes, again converted by Hayward who kicked two more penalties to leave it 24-20 after 72 minutes.

Ulster turned down a kickable penalty two minutes from the end opting to go for the corner as they made their bid to get that fourth bonus point securing try.

But they lost the lineout and had two more straight after it and were fortunate an intercept by centre Michele Campagnaro was knocked on -or it would have been a losing bonus point instead of four they were travelling home with.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-6514733

Ulster hold nerve to scrape past Treviso
Ulster survived a strong rally from Benetton Treviso to record a vital 24-20 victory in the Guinness PRO12 at the Stadio Comunale di Monigo.

Neil Doak's side were low on confidence having won only one of their last four games but Ulster dominated the first half as they crossed the Treviso try-line three times.

Paddy Jackson converted his own sixth-minute try and Ulster continued to pile up the points despite wing Craig Gilroy being shown a yellow card after 10 minutes.

Jackson landed a penalty and Ruan Pienaar soon crossed for his first try of the season which was also converted by the accurate Ulster outside-half.

When Tommy Bowe went in for another converted try Ulster had scored 24 points in as many minutes and were seemingly on their way to a convincing bonus point victory.

But Treviso soon discovered the spirit which had brought them back-to-back wins over Zebre and had them chasing a third successive victory for the first time since December 2012.

Outside-half Sam Christie's try two minutes before the break gave Treviso hope before replacement Francesco Minto crossed and Jayden Hayward added his second conversion to reduce the deficit to 10 points.

Hayward kicked two penalties in the final quarter but Treviso were unable to get the try which would have capped a remarkable comeback.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 57629.html

Ulster breathe sigh of relief as visitors survive Treviso comeback
Neil Doak’s side held on to claim their second away win of the Pro12 season.
Inpho
AFTER A CLINICAL first-half performance had put Ulster in complete control at the Stadio Monigo, Neil Doak’s side survived a real scare as Treviso mounted an improbable comeback but fell short short of inflicting more woe on the visitors.

Ulster were on course to end a difficult series of Pro12 fixtures with a convincing and, more significantly, a bonus-point victory in Italy but almost managed to throw away a 17 point half-time lead.

Coming away from the continent with maximum points seemed a formality for the Irish province after tries from Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar and Tommy Bowe had put Ulster in the driving seat and on the verge of a bonus-point win.

However, Doak’s side have endured a difficult series of fixtures – they had lost three of their last four outings – and an element of uncertainty crept into their play as Treviso rallied after the interval.

It was Sam Christie’s score just before the break that instilled the Italians with a renewed sense of confidence and turned the tide in the hosts’ favour.

Francesco Minto then touched down in the corner shortly before the hour mark and when Jayden Hayward kicked two penalties to leave the deficit at just four points, Treviso had the bit between their teeth.

Ulster found the tenacity to withstand the fightback and claim the points but it really should have been all five.

Up until the 38th minute, Doak’s side were completely dominant.

Despite Craig Gilroy’s 10th minute sin-binning, three tries seemed to had quashed any hope the hosts had of causing an upset as they looked to win three consecutive games for the first time since December 2012.

But, with their interest in Europe all but over, all of Ulster’s eggs are in the Pro12 basket and Doak’s selection underlined the significance of this trip to Italy.

The visitors were purposeful from the off and their intentions were evident when, after just a couple of minutes, Pienaar turned down a shot at the posts, instead opting to kick for the corner.

A couple of phases later, Ulster unlocked the Treviso defence. Jackson collected his own kick to opening the scoring after just six minutes and while Gilroy’s indiscipline gave Treviso a numerical advantage, it was Ulster who continued to dominate.

After Jackson brought his personal tally to 10 with a penalty before the half-way point of the half, two tries in quick succession from Pienaar and then Bowe converted Ulster’s supremacy into points.

In the end, they needed all of them to leave Northern Italy with the points.
http://www.thescore.ie/treviso-ulster-r ... 8-Jan2015/

Ulster hold on to edge out Treviso
Ulster recorded only their second Pro12 away win of the season despite a poor second-half display against Treviso.

The province looked impressive as they raced into a 24-0 lead thanks to tries by backs Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar and Tommy Bowe.

But Ulster failed to secure the bonus point and were ultimately relieved to hang on as Treviso scored 20 points without reply.

Centre Sam Christie and flanker Franceso Minto scored Treviso's tries.

The hosts almost snatched victory when Michele Campagnaro knocked on as he attempted an intercept try.

Ulster, who stay in fifth place in the table, will be disappointed with their second-half showing ahead of their game against European Champions Cup holders Toulon in France on Saturday.

They produced one of their best spells this season to storm into a commanding lead.

The opening try came after just six minutes as fly-half Jackson beat a flat defence by running on to his own grubber kick to score.

Jackson followed his conversion with a penalty and the lead became 17 points when winger Craig Gilroy, back on the pitch after an early sin-binning, drew his man and fed scrum-half Pienaar to run through unchallenged.

There was a question mark over whether Gilroy's final pass was forward but the score was allowed.

Soon it was 24-0 as winger Bowe found a superb line to run on to Jackson's pass inside for the third try of the afternoon.

Treviso responded before the interval, full-back Jayden Hayward kicking skilfully through and centre Christie collecting to score in the corner.

Minto forced over Treviso's second try in the 57th minute after a spell of Ulster pressure, and Hayward landed his second conversion and two penalties as a ragged Ulster lost their way.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30745413

Benetton Treviso 20 Ulster 24
DicksonDigital.com
Ulster withstood a ferocious Treviso fightback this afternoon in northern Italy to pick up only their second away victory of the Guinness Pro12 campaign, thanks to a powerful first-half display with tries from Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar and Tommy Bowe.

After a near-perfect performance in the first period, Ulster struggled after half-time as the Italians put paid to any pretensions of a bonus-point win for the visitors – and got themselves to within an unconverted try of a comeback victory.

Ulster held on, however, to retain their place at fifth in the standings on 39 points, and keep the pressure on the top four of Glasgow Warriors (43 points), Munster (42), Leinster (41) and Ospreys (40).

Jared Payne, available for selection for the first time since sustaining a foot injury in his international debut against South Africa in November, started on the bench with Louis Ludik – rested for last week’s interprovincial clash with Leinster – named at full-back. The only other change implemented by Head Coach Neil Doak saw Alan O’Connor start in the second row in place of Franco van der Merwe, sidelined with a chest infection.

Aside from the full-back berth, the remainder of the Ulster back line was unchanged, with Bowe and Craig Gilroy on the wings, Darren Cave and Stuart Olding in the centre, and Jackson and Pienaar at out- and scrum-half respectively.

In the pack, Callum Black and last week’s try-scorer Wiehahn Herbst scrummed down either side of captain Rory Best, with Dan Tuohy joining O’Connor in the second row, and an unchanged back row of Robbie Diack and Clive Ross flanking Roger Wilson.

Ulster came out all guns blazing in the Veneto sunshine, Pineaar’s quickly-taken tap-penalty in the fourth minute bringing them into the Italians’ ‘22’ where, after some good ground won by Ross, Jackson’s chip and chase sat up well as he retrieved the ball behind the Treviso defensive line and ran behind the posts for a neat early try.

Jackson converted his own score but, with Treviso launching a threatening attack of their own from the restart, Gilroy intentionally killed the line as they neared the whitewash, and found himself exiled to the sinbin for 10 minutes for cynical play.

Treviso failed to capitalise on their numerical advantage, however, falling further behind on 18 minutes as Jackson sweetly struck a penalty from wide on the left. Gilroy returned two minutes later and made his presence felt within seconds, leading a breakaway down the left wing from Diack’s offload on halfway, and picking out Pienaar at the right moment to allow the scrum-half an unopposed run to the line for try number two.

Jackson added the extras, and three minutes later turned provider as he fed Bowe a sublime inside pass on the verge of the Treviso ‘22’ after more sterling work from Gilroy. Bowe, heavily strapped around both the head and the right leg after last week’s bruising encounter with Leinster, outpaced Angelo Esposito with a trademark diagonal run to the line, converted once more by Jackson.

A fourth try looked inevitable with five minutes remaining in the half, as Bowe and Pienaar again led the way in a speedy raid which only broke down as Gilroy opted to cut inside his man 10 metres from home, when a straight sprint down the line may well have secured the score.

Treviso put together their best spell of rugby just before the break, rewarded on 38 minutes as Sam Chrisitie gathered a low grubber from Jayden Hayward and resisted Bowe’s challenge to ground by the left-hand corner flag, the score expertly converted by Hayward.

Half-Time Score Benetton Treviso 7 Ulster 24

With Herbst making an early second-half exit due to an apparent hamstring strain, Bronson Ross slotted in at tighthead, but the Ulster locomotive rolled on unimpeded as they struck two convertible penalties to touch in search of the bonus point. Neither lineout supplied the fourth try, however, and as Payne made his long-awaited return on 52 minutes in place of Cave, Treviso moved up another gear, taking a hold on the game which they would not again relinquish.

Their superiority soon materialised in a score from Francesco Minto, as the replacement lock stretched over from a maul after patient build-up play from his fellow forwards.

Hayward sank the conversion to reduce the gap to 10 points, and as Ulster’s aspirations for the bonus-point victory began to seem somewhat premature, a 67th-minute penalty from the Kiwi left his side only a converted try away from parity.

A further three points followed five minutes later, this time from distance, and with Ulster close to floundering, their first break in a good 20 minutes won a penalty which Pineaar chose to kick to touch. Possession was lost at the lineout in the first instance and, although two further put-ins followed in quick succession, both were lost as Treviso battled for all they were worth.

Fortunately for Ulster, the Italians failed to prise possession back in any meaningful position, and Jackson was grateful to boot the ball into touch as the clock moved into the red.

The Guinness Pro12 campaign now takes a break, as Ulster face European champions Toulon in the European Rugby Champions Cup next Saturday before welcoming Leicester Tigers to the Kingspan Stadium on Saturday 24 January for their final Pool Three fixture.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... er-24.aspx
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Monday 12th January 2015

Rory Best: Ulster will take positives from display against Treviso
Ulster captain Rory Best refused to dwell on the second-half struggles of his side yesterday that almost allowed Treviso to come back from a 24-0 deficit and claim a famous win.

Three tries in the first half hour of the game had Ulster thinking of a bonus point win but the Italians came back to within four points and could have claimed the victory in the closing moments.

Best, however, was keen to accentuate the positives of what had been a promising early display.

"We were really good in that first-half," said the hooker.

"We did everything we talked about. We were accurate, we played at tempo, we were good at the breakdown and we took our chances well.

"We started the second-half really, really well but we probably just got a little bit loose.

"We went off on our own agenda at times to try and get that try instead of just doing what we did well in the first-half."

Best didn't think the chase for the bonus point affected the team but admitted that they were less clinical after the turn.

"We didn't feel under pressure to get the bonus point. We talked about it and said that if we stuck to our game it would happen.

"We probably tried to force it a little bit.

"We tried to do a little too much on our own and when they came back at us we let them in too easily.

"We were soft around the fringes and we let them pick and go."

With a daunting trip to face Toulon in their seemingly doomed Champions Cup campaign to come on Saturday, the second-half showing did not bode well but Best stated that the win was what was of paramount importance.

He concluded: "Ultimately we got the four points that we came here for.

"That's what we need to do.

"If we can keep picking up four points between now and the end of the league we'll be in a good place.

"There are a lot of positives, just a few negatives there at the end."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 98965.html

A nervy finish for Ulster against Treviso
Ulster finally got their second away win of the campaign with a 24-20 victory against Treviso at the Stadio Monigo but there will have been little celebration on the journey home after a shocking second-half display almost saw Neil Doak's men lose in Italy for the second time this season.

As the seconds slipped away, Ulster led by just four points when Michele Campagnaro intercepted a pass from Paddy Jackson and looked set to streak home underneath the posts to notch a famous win.

Indeed, if the Italian international centre's hands had not failed him at the crucial moment, Ulster would have been preparing to visit European champions Toulon this weekend coming off the back of one of their worst ever Pro12 results.

That the game ended in such a nail-biting fashion for the visitors would have seemed scarcely believable in the first-half of a contest that looked set to see a bonus-point win secured before the turn.

When a combination of frankly abysmal work from Treviso, and encouraging half-back play by Paddy Jackson and Ruan Pienaar, saw Ulster rack up 24 points in as many minutes, it seemed virtually impossible that they would not score again but so it proved.

Twenty unanswered points from their previously hospitable hosts followed and suddenly all that good work could have easily been undone.

There were just seven minutes on the clock when Ulster took the lead thanks to a try from Paddy Jackson, their star performer on the day.

When Treviso strayed offside, Ulster kicked to the corner and, while the lineout was untidy, it was claimed by Clive Ross.

The attack moved across the pitch and back again without making much headway before Jackson's grubber through a flat defensive line bounced back perfectly into his arms and allowed him to score underneath the posts.

The fly-half - who spent a lengthy spell practicing his kicking at the Kingspan Stadium during last week - took over duties off the tee after Pienaar's shaky performance against Leinster the previous weekend and knocked over the simple conversion for a 7-0 lead.

Attacks from Treviso were a rarity in the first-half but they did threaten soon after, the passage of play resulting in a yellow card for Craig Gilroy when he intentionally strayed offside to block a pass and curtail the danger.

Rather than allow Treviso back into the contest however, the 14 men extended their lead when the pack won a penalty at the scrum and Jackson knocked over the resulting kick.

Gilroy returned just as the second quarter began and, keen to make up for lost time, was involved in two quickfire scores.

First a Dan Tuohy break upfield created gaps before Best and Diack combined to send the recently restored winger streaking up the left flank.

There was a hint of a forward pass when the ball went inside to Pienaar - the home crowd certainly thought so - but referee Ben Whitehouse saw no problem and the Springbok was over the line.

Two minutes later, Gilroy was at his pirouetting best as he danced upfield before eventually being halted by Treviso.

The ball was recycled to Jackson whose delightful flat pass to Tommy Bowe saw the international winger go in unopposed.

The conversion made it 24-0 but Ulster would not trouble the scoreboard operator for the remainder of the afternoon.

Treviso had seemed so poor, over those five minutes especially, that a rout seemed inevitable but, after a few missed opportunities for Ulster sapped the momentum, the hosts scored just before the break when Jayden Hayward's kick behind bounced into the hands of Sam Christie who scored in the corner after fending off Bowe's attempts to force him into touch.

The conversion was nailed from a testing position by Hayward but, even with a half-time score of 24-7, Ulster will not have been unduly worried.

The showing after the turn, however, was inexplicable.

When Ulster were in possession the ball was slow, while the passes that had opened up their opponents in the first-half were suddenly not going to hand.

The carelessness began to become extemely worrisome when defensive gaps opened in the midfield- especially after Darren Cave was subbed after 52 minutes - and substitute flanker Francesco Minto took advantage in the corner.

The conversion again proved no issue for Hayward and Ulster's lead was now just 10.

The Kiwi added a further two penalties to bring Treviso within a try of the win and, while Rory Best still chased after a fourth score and the accompanying bonus, the effort was severely undermined when a trio of lineouts were stolen within a matter of minutes.

So ineffectual had the attack proven over the past half an hour, and with Campagnaro's attempts to inflict a disaster upon them having no doubt knocked the confidence even further, that when the clock showed red and the ball was booted to touch, Ulster were relieved to merely escape with a win that had seemed a virtual certainty just an hour ago.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 98962.html

Ulster almost implode against Treviso
This was one of the most astonishing games in the league for a long time.

Ulster, more or less free to concentrate on the Pro12 with little hope of advancing in the Champions Cup over the next two weeks, almost put a serious dent in their league hopes.

They were cruising when they opened up a 24-0 lead after just 25 minutes but in the end were left hanging on as Treviso rallied and almost snatched it at the death when centre Michele Campagnaro intercepted but dropped the ball with a clear run to the line from halfway.

It would have been rough justice on Paddy Jackson who was the main instigator of Ulster’s whirlwind start.

Jackson controlled the game from out-half in the opening 40 minutes and got in for the opening try.

Ulster showed their intentions from the outset, going for the corner with a penalty in front of the posts and two minutes later the pressure paid off when Jackson chased his own grubber to score his first try of the season.

He added the conversion and a penalty for a 10-0 lead after 18 minutes despite having Craig Gilroy binned for an infringement when it seemed Treviso were poised to score in the corner.

A strong counter-attack by Ulster saw Gilroy mark his return to action by slipping the final pass for Ruan Pienaar to canter over.

A wonderful inside pass from Jackson sent Tommy Bowe, who passed a late fitness test on a thigh problem, over for his 59th league try as Jackson converted to make it 24-0 after just 25 minutes.

But that was as good as it got for Ulster.

Sam Christie pulled back a try for Treviso and his New Zealand compatriot Jayden Hayward converted to make it 24-7 at the break.

Treviso grew in confidence and were rewarded when Italian flanker Francesco Minto scored after a good drive. Hayward continued his splendid kicking to convert and then haul back the deficit to just four points. But Ulster held out in a nervous finish.

“Away games are all tough and we got that foundation to kick on and unfortunately we didn’t do it. But I am delighted to get the four points,” said Ulster coach Neil Doak.

“There is an outside chance of us qualifying for Europe but we have got to be sensible with regards to the players. We have got a long list of injuries – we have overplayed a few guys. :roll:

“We will just have to take stock and try and pick the best side that we can next week,” added Doak.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 06397.html

Ulster blow hot & cold in bizarre encounter with Treviso
Clive Ross, Ulster, is tackled by Rupert Harden, Benetton Treviso
This was almost the Italian job to beat all others. Ulster were coasting to victory when they led 24-0 after just 25 minutes but then they hit the rocks and in the end were lucky to escape with a victory.

Their failure to get a bonus point having been so far ahead in the opening half could yet prove costly, but they nearly coughed up a winner in the dying moments to their hosts at Stadio Monigo.

Paddy Jackson, who had an excellent opening half, saw his pass in midfield intercepted as they went for the bonus point but, to the groans of the passionate home fans, Michele Campagnaro dropped the ball with a clear run to glory.

"I didn't see him drop the ball after the intercept," admitted coach Neil Doak afterwards.

"Professional sport, there are fine margins across the board. Unfortunately for us, it got to that stage where it was pretty tight and after having such a good start."

It would have been cruel on Jackson had his pass cost them the win as he was superb in the opening half and his running of the game was a timely reminder to Joe Schmidt just what he can do.

Ulster did not stand on ceremony and scarcely disguised their intentions, going for the corner with a penalty in front of the posts after five minutes and two minutes later, the pressure paid off when Jackson chased his own grubber to score his first try of the season.

He added the conversion and a penalty to lead 10-0 after 18 minutes despite having Craig Gilroy binned for an infringement when it seemed Treviso were poised to score in the corner.

A strong counter-attack by Ulster saw Gilroy mark his return to action by slipping the final pass for Ruan Pienaar to canter over and then a neat inside pass from Jackson sent Bowe, who passed a late fitness test on a thigh injury, over for his 59th league try.

But that was as good as it got for Ulster. Sam Christie got a try for Treviso and his Kiwi compatriot Jayden Hayward converted to make it 24-7 at the break.

Ulster sent penalties in front of the posts to the corners in the second half but came away with nothing each time.

Treviso grew in confidence and got real hope when Italian flanker Francesco Minto scored after a good drive.

Hayward continued his splendid kicking to convert and then haul back the deficit to just four points, but Ulster held out in a nervous finish.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/u ... 99503.html

OTHER.......

Ex-referee Alain Rolland fears technology has gone too far
Former international referee Alain Rolland feels technology in rugby has gone too far.

Rolland, who refereed the 2007 World Cup final and infamously sent off Wales’ Sam Warburton in the semi-final against France four years later, is in favour of a challenge system that will be trialled in South Africa’s Varsity Cup this year.

“It’s about finding the happy medium,” Rolland said of the debate over technology.

“In some instance the technology has gone too far because now in some games you’re finding a lot of pressure from the captains all the time to go and check stuff. And you say, ‘No, we’re quite happy with what we did.’ It’s giving players a licence to say to referees more often than not, ‘Can you check this or that?’ and that’s not what it’s there for. It’s something that needs to be looked at post World Cup and for the next two or three years.

“It (the upcoming trial) gives an opportunity to try it and see whether it works or not and if it does there will be enough time to introduce it for the next World Cup.”

Decisions regarding the grounding of tries and foul play would still be within the referee’s remit but Rolland wants a review system to give teams a chance to refer to an incident that match officials may have missed.

“If we work on something along the lines of what we have in tennis, for example, you’re looking at two challenges a game, one a half, and if you’re correct you keep it for the rest of the half.

“Referees would continue with making decisions about tries and foul play but if there was a possible knock-on or forward pass two phases back that we haven’t seen then that’s what teams could have a look at.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 06401.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: What the Papers Say 2014/2015 ...."Few Negatives"....Wha

Post by Mac »

Monday 12th January 2015

PART II

Rory Best on the win over Treviso
Ulster may have recorded a win in Italy against Treviso, but having been 24-0 up there was frustration that the province didn’t go on and record a bonus point and that by the end, Treviso were back in the game. It was a second half performance that disappointed the Ulster captain Rory Best, especially as his side had played so well in the opening 35 minutes of the match:

“We were really, really good in that first half,” Best says. “We played with tempo, we were strong at the breakdown and we took our chances well. We started the second half well but we just got a little bit loose. We went off on our own agendas at times to try and score that try instead of doing what we had done well in the first half, which was a good team effort, taking them through the phases and then waiting for the mis-matches to happen. We were probably just not patient enough. That was frustrating. You have to give credit that when they got momentum we held on for the win. Having said that we were disappointed with how the second half went for us.”

Having scored three tries so early on it could be argued that Ulster’s reversal in fortunes was down to the pressure to get the fourth try and the try bonus point. Not so says the Ulster skipper:

“We didn’t feel under pressure. We felt if we stuck to our game it would happen. It just didn’t. We probably tried to force it a bit. At 22-7 we were just short a few times. We just didn’t have the discipline to get over the line. We tried to do a little bit too much on our own. When they came back at us, they took one visit into our 22 after 15 minutes of our pressure and we let them in too easy. We were soft around the fringes and we let them pick and go and smash us a little bit there.”

Ulster went to Treviso aiming to get the win and they achieved that target. Summing up such a Jekyll and Hyde performance isn’t easy but Best is keen to stress the positives from the game and to take them into the rest of the Guinness PRO12 campaign.

He says: “The first half performance was good and we will take heart from that. Ultimately we got the four points and that’s what we went there for. If we keep picking up four points between now and the end of the season we will be in a good place.”
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... viso-.aspx

Ulster get job done in Italy, but it is far from convincing

Ulster captain Rory Best hailed a job done as the Province ended a poor run of form on the road with a 24-20 win over Benetton Treviso on Sunday afternoon

First half tries from Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar and Tommy Bowe, plus nine further points from outhalf Jackson had Ulster 24-0 ahead after as many minutes.

But instead of pressing on and getting what should have been a try scoring bonus point - Ulster failed to score another point after that.

Instead they were clinging on for life at the end of the match as Treviso scored an unanswered 13 points in the second half having got over for a converted try just before half time.

Ulster had not won away from home in their last four PRO12 games - six in all competitions - and Best admitted there had been a fair amount of pressure on the side going into the game against struggling Treviso.

“Ultimately we got the four points we came here for, so we’re now in a good position in the league/

“Those could be a big four points come the end of the season.”

However, the skipper was also disappointed not to see the side press on and take all five match points having dominated the first half so much.

“I thought we were really, really good in that first half,” said Best. “We were accurate, we were good at the breakdown and we took our chances well.

“At the start of the second half we played well then it came a bit loose and we went off on our own little agendas at times just trying to score that try instead of doing what we done well in the first half.

“That was just a good team effort taking them (Treviso) through phases then looking for the mismatches and we just weren’t patience enough.

“It was frustrating but credit to us to hold on when they started to get momentum in their own home ground and we showed a lot of character to hold on for the win.

“We were pretty disappointed with the way the second half went for us and especially the last 30 minutes.

On not getting the bonus point, Best added: “I don’t think it was necessarily playing on the mind. We didn’t feel under pressure to get the bonus point.

“We talked about that if we stuck to our game it would happen but we probably tried to force it a bit and we just didn’t have the discipline to get over the line.

“We were trying to do a little bit too much on our own and then they came back at us. We were soft around the fringes and we allowed them to pick and go and smash us a bit”

Ulster will meet Treviso in Belfast on February 13 and now turn their attentions to the European Cup starting with an away game to champions, Toulon on Saturday and a week later play Leicester Tigers at the Kingspan.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-6515870

Ulster Could Face a Thrashing at Toulon
Struggling Ulster travel to Toulon for their European Champions Cup tie next weekend amid heightening fears the team could be on a hiding to nothing.

They are already effectively out of the competition having already lost to the crack French side and Leicester Tigers, but after a woeful second half performance in Italy where the just scraped him against Treviso, 24-20, in their latest PRO12 outing, coach Neil Doak faces a monumental task.

They looked certain to return to Belfast with a bonus point victory after racing into a 24-0 lead after following tries by Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar and Tommy Bowe. But it then went horribly wrong, blowing at least four chances to get the all important fourth try and letting the Italians back into the game.

It was Ulster ’s only second PRO12 away win of the season, and amazingly they came dangerously close to losing the match in the closing seconds, after Treviso responded with two converted tries and two penalties by Jayden Hayward.

The Italians then almost snatched victory when Michele Campagnaro knocked on as he attempted an intercepted try.

Ulster ‘s Season is Rapidly Going Nowhere

Ulster stay 5th in the league table, but all the signs are there that this is a season rapidly going nowhere. They desperately need to second a top four play-off place to salvage anything, but on this latest performance, the omens are not good. And Toulon is no place for a squad seriously out of form.
http://betting.betmclean.com/ulster-fac ... ing-toulon

PAUSE.................

Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 13th January 2015

Ulster Rugby determined to show their quality against Toulon
Brought down: Stuart Olding gets tackled by Toulon’s Juan Smith at the Kingspan Stadium
Despite Ulster's chances of extending their Champions Cup campaign appearing to be all but over, Stuart Olding believes that Saturday's contest with back-to-back champions Toulon will still provide an opportunity to get the season back on track.

Ulster have lost three of their four games in Pool 3 and are still outside the PRO12 play-off positions, even after last Sunday's unconvincing win over Treviso in northern Italy.

According to Olding, however, a positive performance in the intimidating atmosphere of the Stade Mayol, and then seven days later against Leicester Tigers at the Kingspan Stadium, would go a long way to restoring confidence.

"The old cliché of if you want to be the best you have to play the best is actually true," said the 21-year-old.

"Definitely if we can put in performances against two sides the size of Toulon and Leicester then that will give the guys a huge boost and show the talent that we do have up here.

"If we can do that then we can build on that in the league."

In recent seasons, Ulster fans would have been gearing up for a big pair of January European clashes weeks in advance, often distracting attention away from the PRO12, but Olding says that the build-up to the recent games against Leinster and Treviso has been no different than usual.

The two-times capped centre said: "People maybe think that because we're focusing on the league that it's changed the build-up, but not really.

"With regards to Europe, we've been focusing on Leinster and Treviso but that's always the attitude that we have.

"The next game is the important one and that's what you think about, not too far ahead into the future."

Now, of course, that next game is Toulon and Olding is relishing the chance to go toe to toe with the glamorous outfit from the south of France once again.

Ulster lost the reverse fixture 23-13 back in October - with Olding receiving a boot to the head from Toulon lock Romain Taofifenua for his trouble - but the youngster enjoyed the experience.

"We played against them the first time and it was probably the toughest game I've ever played, just the quality of players they have and the sheer size of them," said the former Belfast Royal Academy pupil.

"It was incredible to play against the back-to-back champions and the best club team in the world but that's where you want to be."

The game was originally scheduled for the Allianz Rivera Stadium in Nice but was switched to the more modest confines of Toulon's home ground after Ulster's defeat to Scarlets, and the atmosphere should at least be raucous.

"I've never played in Toulon but from watching games on TV it looks like a great atmosphere. The guy at the start gets the crowd worked up, and they're so passionate about it down there. I'd say it'll be a different experience to what we've been used to."

While defeat would finally put paid to any mathematical chance of progression, Olding states that there will be no alarm should their run of four consecutive quarter-final places come to an end.

"It seems silly to say but we could have won all four games really. We had chances but didn't take them. With the quality of players that we have, the coaches, and the facilities, there's not going to be a panic.

"We had a little dip but I think there's a huge determination among the players to get back to winning ways and when we do go on a bit of a run, hopefully we'll build on it and go from there."

While Europe may be gone for this season, with six teams seemingly vying for the PRO12's top four, now would be a more than welcome time to start.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 02377.html

Jackson plays through pain in bid to regain Ireland spot
Ulster may have little to play for in their remaining Champions Cup games, away to Toulon and at home to Leicester Tigers, but Paddy Jackson is hoping to clock some game time in those matches in a bid to force his way into the Six Nations reckoning after an injury-hit campaign.

Mathematically, Ulster are not yet ruled out of qualification, but having lost three of their four pool matches they have negligible chance of making it through.

Jackson, superb in the opening half as Ulster shredded Treviso on Sunday before enduring a late scare to hold on for a 24-20 win, said he and several of his team-mates have plenty to play for over the next two weekends.

"A lot of the boys will be looking to put their best foot forward for the Six Nations," said the out-half, who scored his first try of the season on Sunday and landed all four of his kicks.

"I have been trying to get games together and I am glad to have gotten three on the bounce now. It has just been annoying with injuries and concussion. I am feeling comfortable again.

"I am going to look at the second half (of the Treviso game) especially for my own game. I just need to keep developing and I don't want to be thinking too much about the Six Nations - just keep getting my game together.

Jackson had a large ice-pack on his right shoulder after the game and he admitted: "The shoulder has been very annoying for the last few games. Tackling and passing has been a big struggle off my right hand.

"I was struggling a bit with it last week but it is an AC joint so it is going to be like that for a while. It is a bit sore but it is bearable."

Coach Neil Doak indicated that he may try out a few permutations in the games against Toulon and Leicester but Jackson said they had one clear target as they head to the imposing Stade Mayol.

"We have got to try and get a win, but Toulon is going to be very difficult - there is no getting around that," he said.

"We are just trying to make sure we get our form back.

"If you look at the first half of the game against Leinster and the first half against Treviso, there are some very good positives, but that is definitely not going to be good enough against Toulon. We are going to have play the full 80 minutes and it is going to be a huge task."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/j ... 02450.html

How the Irish provinces are set ahead of Champions Cup weekend
Pool 3 - Ulster face daunting trip

The Toulon juggernaut shows absolutely no signs of slowing down but Neil Doak (left) must somehow plot a way to cause a major upset when Ulster visit the Stade Felix Mayol on Saturday.

Ulster have been one of the most disappointing sides in the competition this season and they must try and salvage some pride from a pool that has seen them lose three of their four games.

Toulon warmed up for the visit of Ulster with a 32-23 win over Racing Metro but Bakkies Botha and Guilhem Guirado were both forced off in the first half , while Ulster were pushed all the way by Treviso.

A patchy performance in Northern Italy will not fill Ulster fans with much confidence ahead of a daunting trip to France.

The French side will almost certainly finish top of the pool. The Scarlets and Leicester Tigers currently have eight points each and both will be hoping Ulster can spring a surprise in the south of France.
All four....... http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/c ... 01425.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 13th January 2015

Part II

Squad Update
Dan Tuohy

Ulster second row, Dan Tuohy, suffered a thumb injury in Sunday’s win over Treviso. He will undergo surgery to repair a torn ligament tomorrow. He is expected to be out of rugby for up to eight weeks.

Wiehahn Herbst

Wiehahn Herbst sustained a hamstring injury against Treviso. He will miss this weekend’s European Rugby Champions Cup match against Toulon in France.

Luke Marshall

Luke Marshall suffered concussion in a training session last week. He is currently following the return to play protocols.

Iain Henderson

Iain Henderson continues to make progress on the hip injury that he sustained in September. He has taken part in some light training and is expected to be available for selection in the coming weeks.

Chris Henry

Chris Henry’s rehabilitation from the heart surgery that he had in November is ongoing.

Nick Williams

Nick Williams continues his rehab from a hamstring injury. He is expected to be available for selection before the end of January.

Ronald Raymaakers

Ronald Raaymakers has a hamstring strain and is undergoing rehab.

Stuart McCloskey

Stuart McCloskey continues his recovery from elbow surgery. He is expected to return to rugby in the next six to eight weeks.

Andrew Trimble

Andrew Trimble is continuing his rehabilitation from toe surgery. His target remains a return to play in mid February.

Ricky Andrew

Ricky Andrew has a perforated eardrum and therefore is not available for selection this weekend.

Ruaidhri Murphy

Ruaidhri Murphy has recovered from the finger injury that he sustained playing club rugby for Ballynahinch in November.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... date-.aspx

Ulster’s Dan Tuohy to miss most of Six Nations
Luke Marshall observing return to play protocols after suffering another concussion
Ulster and Ireland secondrow Dan Tuohy will miss the majority of the Six Nations Championship because of thumb surgery. The player suffered a torn ligament in the province’s victory over Treviso on Sunday and is expected to be out of commission for six to eight weeks.

Tuohy, who has signed a three-year contract extension at Ulster, had only recently returned following a broken forearm sustained in a league match last September that saw him miss out on Ireland’s November test matches against South Africa, Georgia and Australia.

Luke Marshall’s horrendous misfortune with injury continued after he suffered a concussion in training last week and he is now observing the return to play protocols. The 23-year old suffered four concussive incidents between March 9th, 2013 and late February of last year, although he did play in 26 matches last season.

The six-times capped inside centre played just one of the first six matches for Ulster in the present campaign as he was involved in a battle royal for his place against both Stuart Olding and Stuart McCloskey.

Knee ligament damage sustained while playing for the Ulster Ravens cost him two months on the sidelines and he only returned in December for the away match against the Scarlets in the Champions Cup.

Since then, he was a late withdrawal from the Pro12 game against Connacht, having played in the preceding game against the Ospreys and also the one on January 3rd, when he came on against Leinster at the RDS for the injured Tommy Bowe. His latest head injury meant he was ruled out of Sunday’s away win over Treviso.

Aside from Tuohy and Marshall, Ulster will be without South African tighthead prop Wiehahn Herbst - who suffered a recurrence of the hamstring injury sustained in the Champions Cup match against the Scarlets at Kingspan stadium in December - for Saturday’s European game against champions Toulon. Herbst had only just returned from the original injury. Ricky Andrew is another absentee with a perforated eardrum.

The province provided an update on a variety of medium and long terms casualties. Number eight Nick Williams is the closest in terms of return to play with the New Zealander expected back before the end of the month.

Ireland coach Joe Schmidt will be hoping that secondrow Iain Henderson is on a roughly similar timescale. He has already taken part in some light training – he operated as a water boy in Treviso – as part of the rehabilitation process from the hip surgery he underwent last September. His return to competitive fare has been measured in weeks.

Andrew Trimble (toe) is expected back in mid February, centre McCloskey (elbow) in March, while there is no date for Chris Henry (heart) at present. Ruaidhri Murphy has recovered from the finger injury that he sustained playing club rugby for Ballynahinch in November.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/e ... -1.2064521

Tuohy and Marshall sidelined
Dan Tuohy is set to be ruled out of the Six Nations after tearing a ligament in his thumb while in action for Ulster.

The Ireland second row will be out of action for six to eight weeks, leaving him in a race against time to be fit for the end of the tournament.

It comes just a week after Tuohy had signed a new contract with Ulster, and also means he will miss the remainder of the province's European campaign which gets back underway in Toulon this weekend.

Tuohy had missed Ireland's November Tests because of a broken forearm and is now set for another frustrating spell on the sidelines.

He is not the only Ulster player who will out of action for a while, with Luke Marshall having suffered another concussion, this time in training.

The talented young centre has now suffered five concussions in just two years, and will undergo the return to play protocols before he can think about a playing comeback.

"Luke Marshall suffered concussion in a training session last week. He is currently following the return to play protocols," said a statement from Ulster.

It's worrying news for Marshall, who has been hampered by injuries since breaking onto the scene with Ireland in 2013.

Fellow Irish international Jonny Sexton is currently taking an extended break after suffering a series of concussions of his own.
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 74,00.html

Luke Marshall set for another spell on the sidelines following fifth concussion
Ulster also confirmed that Dan Tuohy is to miss the Six Nations.
Luke Marshall faces another spell on the sidelines. Inpho
ULSTER RUGBY TODAY confirmed that Luke Marshall has suffered his fifth concussion since March 2013, picking up the latest in training last week.

The 23-year old suffered two concussions on Ireland duty in 2013 and sat out their summer tour after taking another blow in Ulster’s Heineken Cup quarter-final defeat to Saracens that same year.

The six-times capped centre was involved in a fourth concussive incident in February 2014 though he still managed more than 25 games last season.

While there is no word yet on Marshall’s availability for Ireland’s Six Nations campaign, his Ulster team mate Dan Tuohy suffered a thumb injury in Sunday’s win over Treviso that will see him miss the opening games.

The lock will undergo surgery to repair a torn ligament on Tuesday and is expected to be out of rugby for up to eight weeks.
http://www.thescore.ie/luke-marshall-co ... 8-Jan2015/

Blow for Ulster and Ireland as Dan Tuohy sidelined with thumb injury
Ireland second row Dan Tuohy could be out for up to eight weeks ruling him out of the most of forthcoming Six Nations.

The Ulster lock suffered a thumb injury in Ulster’s 24-20 Guinness PRO12 win over Treviso in Italy on Sunday.

Ireland second row Dan Tuohy is set to be ruled out for up to eight weeks after suffering a thumb injury in Ulster’s 24-20 Pro12 win over Treviso .

Ulster prop Wiehahn Herbst will miss this Saturday’s European Champions Cup pool three match against Toulon in France after sustaining a hamstring injury in Sunday’s victory in Italy.

Also ruled out are Ricky Andrew (ear) and Luke Marshall (concussion protocols).

Meanwhile, international winger Andrew Trimble aims to have recovered from a toe injury by the middle of February, meaning he could feature in the second half of the Six Nations.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-6519093
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 14th January 2015

More woe for Neil Doak as Dan Tuohy is sidelined once again
Ulster were dealt yet another injury blow yesterday with the news that lock Dan Tuohy will be on the sidelines again after suffering a thumb injury against Treviso last Sunday.

The Irish international will undergo surgery today to repair a torn ligament and is expected to be out of action for a period of around eight weeks.

It is the third long-term injury suffered by the robust lock over the past 12 months after he suffered a broken arm playing for Ireland against Wales last February and then missed eight games this season following a similar injury against the Cardiff Blues in September.

He will now be absent for Ulster’s concluding European games with Toulon on Saturday and Leicester the following weekend, while also being deprived of the chance to add to his nine Test caps during the upcoming Six Nations.

Alan O’Connor should once again deputise for Ulster in his absence but head coach Neil Doak admitted it is a big loss for both himself and Ireland coach Joe Schmidt.

“It’s unfortunate for him because he was pushing himself into contention for that Six Nations spot so he’s got to get his head around that,” said Doak.

“The game has become so confrontational. You have to be so robust.

“He did unbelievably well to come back from the broken arm, and then to be out for another while will be disappointing for him.

“He’s a great ball-carrier for us and obviously his lineout work is tremendous.

“The way he carries and hits, you can see how valuable he is for us.

“Hopefully he can get back on the paddock for the back end of the season.”

There are fresh concerns over Luke Marshall, meanwhile, after he suffered his fifth concussion since March 2013 in training.

Ulster say the 23-year-old is following return to play protocols and there is no suggestion that he may be removed for a lengthy period, as he was back in 2013.

While moving forward without Tuohy and Marshall, Ulster will also not have Wiehahn Herbst for Saturday’s trip to Toulon after the prop re-aggravated his hamstring during the win over Treviso, while it appears Tommy Bowe and Rory Best are likely to be rested in line with the IRFU Player Welfare Programme.

The elbow injury sustained by Stuart McCloskey against Scarlets in early December will keep the young centre out for another six to eight weeks Nick Williams — also suffering from an ailing hamstring — should be available before the end of this month, which would bring him into contention after toe surgery in October.

New Zealand lock Ronald Raymaakers — yet to feature since arriving from Counties Manukau Steelers on a short-term deal in September — is unfortunately still absent, as is Ricky Andrew who has a perforated ear drum, although former Brumbies prop Ruaidhri Murphy is fit again after a finger injury.

Doak will soon have Irish international Iain Henderson available for the first time this season and the abrasive forward should provide a boost.

“Not that you want to trade one off for the other, you’d like to have both of them, but if Hendy comes back it would be great for us,” said Doak.

“He’s training at the moment but he hasn’t done a lot of contact stuff.”
:red: + Video Interview........... http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 05882.html

HotH.png
HotH.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
MISSING SOMETHING
How many other teams do you think could manage to score three tries in 26 minutes and then fail to score again for the next 54?

And we’re not talking about another try, we’re talking about any points AT ALL.

Only Ulster could manage that, and nearly throw the game away in the process. Indeed, had Michele Campagnaro held onto that last minute interception then I would be talking about another away defeat for the Ulstermen instead of a win. Yet, unsurprisingly, Sunday’s result feels remarkably like a loss than a win – and considering how hard we tried to lose the game in the second half, I’m actually rather surprised that I’m not writing about a loss today.

What baffles me completely is how we played scintillating rugby that tore Treviso apart in the first half, and survived ten minutes without Craig Gilroy without conceding a point, and in the second half we looked like a poor imitation of that side. We seemed to rest on our laurels and believe that the game was won, and rather than cruise to the bonus point that seemed like a formality, we regressed into the team that put in those limp performances against the Scarlets and the Ospreys.

For some reason we decided that the best way to get our fourth try was not to continue with the running game that was posing Treviso so many problems, but instead to resort back to the futile kicking game that has failed us for the past two months. As I said a few weeks ago, the kicking game can work, but only when you have the right players for it. Without Andrew Trimble, who will chase every kick, we cannot employ the kicking game successfully.

It’s such a shame after the Leinster game where we ran the ball very well, and the first half in Italy where we were making yards on a regular basis, that we couldn’t understand that this was a tactic that needed stuck with. If we had picked up in the second half where we left off in the first half with our running game then the bonus point would have been a case of when rather than if. Instead, our tactics failed us once more.

We can’t even use the excuse of Treviso improving, because they didn’t. We simply gave them a route back into the game and they very happily took it, scoring 20 unanswered points and giving us a real scare – again, had Campagnaro held onto that intercept with less than a minute left on the clock we were going back to Belfast with just a point. But that does not mean they were good, no. Rather they preyed on our inability to put the game to bed and when they got their chances to score points they gave the ball to the reliable Jayden Hayward who slotted over his kicks without any hassle.

For the first time since he became a pundit, and a very good one at that, I found myself disagreeing with Paddy Wallace’s judgement that the positives outweighed the negatives at the final whistle. Not for the first game this season there have been a lot of questions raised about this Ulster outfit, namely can they compete in the league this season. Being two points off the top four hides the real story – several disappointing results and a tragic European campaign that will more than likely see us finish bottom of our pool.

How you can argue the positives outweigh the negatives is beyond me. Yes, we played some irresistible rugby for the first half an hour with Pienaar and Jackson pulling the strings like master puppeteers, but after that we switched off completely. There was no intensity to wrap up the bonus point, there was no urgency or desperation and as a result we paid for it. Had we got one more try before half-time then it would’ve been job done, haul off the big names and head home with five points in the bag.

We now head into two dead rubber matches against Toulon and Leicester knowing that we are playing for pride alone, and we will probably see a much changed side head to the Stade Felix Mayol as we look to conserve a few front line names. Whatever the results, as long as we come through unscathed and with no injury worries heading into the Six Nations then we will have traversed the Champions’ Cup minefield relatively successfully.

Sadly, that’s all we’re playing for now.
http://thehoundonthehill.blogspot.ie/

Olding expecting hard time against Toulon
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 06859.html

Fresh fears for Marshall's career after Ulster centre suffers fifth concussion Image
ULSTER'S appalling run of injuries maintained its depressing regularity yesterday and the knock-on effects for Ireland are immediately obvious, with Dan Tuohy and Luke Marshall both likely to miss the entire Six Nations.

Marshall's injury is arguably more concerning for his future after the revelation that he has suffered a fifth concussion since March 2013 - aside from another bang of the head not officially diagnosed as concussion.

The latest incident happened in training and Marshall, just 23, has proved worryingly susceptible to such head knocks in his brief, largely unfulfilled career for club and country.

Ulster say he is following the return-to-play protocols and there is no suggestion that he may be removed from the game for a lengthy period, as he was in 2013 and is currently the case with Johnny Sexton in France, given that this is his first officially reported concussion in 11 months.

Lock Tuohy must undergo surgery on a torn thumb ligament today after sustaining damage in Sunday's victory in Treviso.

Tuohy had already missed a chunk of provincial and national duty late in 2014 after breaking his arm for the second time in the calendar year; the first time during Ireland's opening Six Nations game against Wales last February.

Ulster say he will now be out of rugby for "up to eight weeks" but the demands of the Irish international coaching staff for players to acquire full fitness will probably destroy his chances of featuring in the forthcoming title defence.

With Ulster doomed in their European campaign, avoiding humiliation on their trip to back-to-back champions Toulon is a priority this weekend but the absence of Wiehahn Herbst from the front-row with a hamstring injury is another huge blow to Neil Doak's beleaguered side.

News on Ulster's other Ireland players was understandably vague, with Iain Henderson reported to be making progress on the hip injury that he sustained in September; the "coming weeks" are the target for him and Andrew Trimble, last season's player of the year, who is recovering from toe surgery.

Nick Williams and Ronald Raymaakers (hamstring), Stuart McCloskey (elbow), Ricky Andrew (ear) and Chris Henry (heart surgery) are all still sidelined but Ruaidhri Murphy has recovered from the finger injury that he sustained playing club rugby for Ballynahinch in November.

Meanwhile, captain Rory Best has insisted his side are remaining calm despite nearly suffering another catastrophe in northern Italy when his side almost blew a 24-0 lead against hapless Treviso.

"We didn't feel under pressure," he said. "We felt if we stuck to our game it would happen. It just didn't. We probably tried to force it a bit.

"At 22-7 we were just short a few times. We just didn't have the discipline to get over the line. We tried to do a little bit too much on our own. When they came back at us, they took one visit into our 22 after 15 minutes of our pressure and we let them in too easy.

"We were soft around the fringes and we let them pick and go and smash us a little bit there.

"The first-half performance was good and we will take heart from that. Ultimately, we got the four points and that's what we went there for.

"We were probably just not patient enough. That was frustrating. You have to give credit that when they got momentum, we held on for the win. Having said that, we were disappointed with how the second half went.

"But if we keep picking up four points between now and the end of the season, we will be in a good place."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/u ... 06344.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 15th January 2015

Toulon hit by injury bug
Toulon face a disrupted build-up to this weekend's clash with Ulster with a number of members of their backline laid low by the flu.

Drew Mitchell was the only player to avoid the illness but the backs were excused training with the remaining players recovering.

The defending European champions have never lost at home in Europe's elite competition and could book a place in the last eight with a win over Ulster, if other results go their way.

However they have been a little out of sorts in recent weeks, with defeats at Stade Français and Montpellier, followed by last week's win over Racing-Métro.

Juan-Martín Hernández, who made his debut against Racing, will not feature this weekend, but Matt Giteau and Nicolas Sánchez are included in the squad.
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 87,00.html

Toulon cancel training as flu virus strikes ahead of Ulster clash
RCT’s star backline has been badly affected, according to a report in one French newspaper.
Steffon Armitage is reportedly one of the players struggling with flu. Inpho
TOULON WERE FORCED to cancel a training session planned for today after a number of their star players were struck down with influenza.

Ulster travel to Stade Mayol on Saturday with their European dreams seemingly all but over, and while Neil Doak’s side would never wish illness on their opponents, Toulon’s struggles may be slightly more welcome on this occasion.

Local French newspaper Var Matin, which has strong links to RCT, reports that backline lynchpins Leigh Halfpenny, Sébastien Tillous-Borde, Maxime Mermoz, Mathieu Bastareaud, Drew Mitchell, and Bryan Habana are suffering with the virus.

Furthermore, key men Steffon Armitage and Chris Masoe were unavailable for this morning’s forwards session.

As a result, the Toulon players have been sent home to rest and head coach Bernard Laporte is planning a collective training session tomorrow instead. Var Matin says RCT are hopeful that the sick players will have “pepped up” in time for the 13.15 [Irish time] kick-off against Ulster on Saturday afternoon.

Regardless of the flu within their playing ranks, Toulon have named a full-strength 23-man squad to face Doak’s side at Stade Mayol, but Ulster will take any advantage they can get as their Champions Cup hopes hang by a thread.

23-man Toulon squad to face Ulster:

Forwards: Xavier Chiocci, Jean-Charles Orioli, Guilhem Guirado, Carl Hayman, Martin Castrogiovanni, Florian Fresia, Jacques Suta, Romain Taofifenua, Ali Williams, Mamuka Gorgodze, Chris Masoe, Juan Smith, Steffon Armitage.

Backs: Sébastien Tillous-Brode, Nicolas Sanchez, Éric Escande, Matt Giteau, Mathieu Bastareaud, Maxime Mermoz, Rudi Wulf, Drew Mitchell, Bryan Habana, Leigh Halfpenny.
http://www.thescore.ie/toulon-flu-virus ... 2-Jan2015/

Six Nations with Ireland not on radar for Jared Payne
Ulster’s Jared Payne does not expect to be involved in Ireland’s Six Nations campaign given he has just comeback from a lengthy injury.

Payne made his debut in the Ireland jersey against South Africa last November.

But he suffered a foot injury and only last weekend returned playing for Ulster when he came on as a second half replacement in the Guinness PRO12 win over Treviso.

Payne is happy to be back after more time on the sidelines than he would have wanted this season.

“It’s good to be back, it’s nice not to be hanging around,” said Payne.

On the injury, Payne said:“I’m still trying to figure it out. I just pushed off it a bit funny and I think I sprained something and it seems to have taken forever.

“I’ve kept myself busy doing things off the field and I’m just happy to get back.

It’s still a ‘bit ginger’ but hopefully it will ease up after more minutes on the pitch.

“It’s taken a lot longer and I’ve never had a mid-foot sprain or whatever.

“Now I’ve got to see if the foot will handle in and take it from there.”

Payne has been down at the Ireland camps, but was obviously just looking on.

With the Six Nations Championship due to start on February 7 with an away game against Italy, Payne does not see himself being involved.

“I’ve played next to no rugby and I can’t expect to be anywhere near that team,” said Payne.

“I’ve just got to try and get my foot right and get a few more minutes on the field.”

However, if he was to get adequate game time against Toulon this weekend and again against Leicester Tigers a week later in the European Cup, there would still be a possibility of him being considered.

Meanwhile, Rob Herring is expected to start at hooker this weekend with Rory Best set to be rested under the IRFU player welfare programme.

A trip to Toulon is a formidable ask, but it is one everyone who will be involved is looking forward to.

Herring said: ““I got 10 minutes or so in the home fixture against them, but the game was finished at that point. It was good to get on and have a bit of a run-out.

“I’m really looking forward to this one as it’s only my third start in Europe.

“I’m really looking forward to this game and I haven’t had much game-time in the last few weeks so I’m raring to go.

“Obviously they (Toulon) are a great side who have achieved so much over the last few years so you’ve got to respect that but at the same time, they’re just players as well.

“It’s a big game but you can’t big them up too much. You’ve got to go there and show what you can do.”

Toulon are looking to take a win which would as good as secure their place in the last eight, with Ulster’s chances of further progress realistically gone, sitting bottom of Pool Three.

Herring said: “Realistically, we are probably out of the Champions Cup but we don’t want to go there and just throw in the towel.

“We want to go and play good rugby and I’m not going there just to make up the numbers.

“I want to go there and win and as a rugby player that is the attitude you’ve got to have going into these kind of games.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-6522141

Neil Doak: We have nothing to lose against Toulon
With a long injury list and a trip to the two time European Champions coming up, you could forgive Ulster Head Coach, Neil Doak, for feeling down on his luck. It has been an unprecedented season so far for absentees and with European Champions Cup qualification gone, Ulster’s sole focus is on the Guinness PRO12. That said, the province still have to focus on their remaining Pool matches against both Toulon and Leicester and Doak says, with the pressure off, they are two games that he is encouraging his side to enjoy:

He says: “When you are playing against a star-studded side, its difficult when you don’t have full resources. We know that it’s not going to be easy this weekend but we have nothing to lose. It’s an exciting place to go to. Toulon are the Champions of Europe and the boys are looking forward to it. Europe is gone for us and we want to work on the things that we have been trying in training. We will go and try and stretch them and we are just aiming to focus on ourselves and use the ball wisely.”

Toulon proved at Kingspan Stadium in the autumn that they have remarkable strength in depth. Household names, Juan Smith, James O’Connor and Bakkies Botha were all replacements in that game:

“We know that we are not on the same plain as Toulon in terms of the resources,” says Doak. “It is unfortunate with the resources that we have. We are stretched and a lot of guys have played a lot of rugby. They know that we are pushing the limits. That’s frustrating because I know that if we had a full squad then a few of those games would have turned out differently with fresher legs. The pressure is off us in the game and we just have to go over there, be as fresh as we can and come back here for Leicester the following week.

“It is a little bit strange with no realistic chance of qualifying but European games are always exciting. We have nothing to lose and the pressure is on Toulon. We have to make sure that we use the ball and if we get in for a few scores – who knows?”
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... ulon-.aspx

'I can't expect to be anywhere near Six Nations starting spot' - Payne Image
Payne has declared that he is nowhere near an international call-up, despite returning to the Ulster side that narrowly defeated Treviso last weekend.
IRELAND'S newest naturalised Ireland international Jared Payne has distanced himself from an immediate return to Joe Schmidt's side ahead of the opening leg of the Six Nations title defence against Italy next month.

The Kiwi-born utility back featured in the opening November series win against South Africa but was forced off with a seemingly innocuous foot sprain that ultimately forced him out of the game for two months.

Payne debuted at outside-centre in that game against South Africa alongside Robbie Henshaw but the Connacht star has subsequently declared that he wants to fill the 13 jersey in the forthcoming Six Nations.

Payne would seem to agree, as he has declared that he is nowhere near an international call-up, despite returning to the Ulster side that narrowly defeated Treviso last weekend.

"That's a long way away," said Payne as his Ulster side, already a beaten docket in Europe, prepare for this week's formidable trip to back-to-back European champions Toulon.

"I've played next to no rugby and I can't expect to be anywhere near that team. I've just got to try and get my foot right and get a few more minutes on the field."

Payne was clearly annoyed by the extent of the injury, particularly as it seemed to be a mere sprain that Ireland hoped would clear sufficiently enough for him to finish the November series against Australia, instead of - painfully - kicking his heels for well over a month.

"I'm still trying to figure it out," he admits. "I just pushed off it a bit funny and I think I sprained something and it seems to have taken forever.

"It's a bit disappointing to not be on the field as the final whistle blew against South Africa but it was still a great day and I couldn't have asked for any more.

"There have been a few Ireland camps since then and I've just hung around and watched them. I haven't been able to take part so I want to try and put a few minutes on the park for Ulster and see what happens."

There is little enthusiasm among Ulster supporters for prolonging their European misery after three defeats in their opening four pool matches, particularly as is there is no longer an escape hatch into the second tier.

After a costly interprovincial programme over the festive period, most want to concentrate on ensuring a play-off berth in the Pro12 but Payne is looking no further than this week's forbidding trip to the Stade Mayol.

"There were a few frustrating days or weeks but that's all part of rugby," he said. "You take the good with the bad and you've just got to ride it out haven't you?

"It's a pretty awesome occasion going down there and it's about backing yourself to give yourself confidence. It's about playing against players you've looked up to when you were younger.

"Even myself, I look up to a lot of these guys. It's good to get out there and have a crack at them.

"I used to look up to Ali Williams and I played with him at the Blues. Rudi Wulf I played with him at age group, I don't know him really well but pretty well.

"You've got to play rugby for the enjoyment so it's nice to relax and just go and play purely for the enjoyment factor."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/s ... 09145.html

Doak urges Ulster to enjoy Toulon test
The pressure is off Ulster head coach Neil Doak
With their hopes of European qualification over, Doak has urged his players to enjoy their visit to the Champions Cup holders on Saturday.

Toulon have a five point lead over second-placed Scarlets in pool 3 and remain firm favourites to finish top of the group.

The star-studded French outfit have won all 13 home fixtures in the competition but Ulster's Doak is eyeing a surprise upset.

He said: "It is a little bit strange with no realistic chance of qualifying but European games are always exciting. We have nothing to lose and the pressure is on Toulon.

"We have to make sure that we use the ball and if we get in for a few scores - who knows? We know that it's not going to be easy this weekend but we have nothing to lose. It's an exciting place to go to.

"Toulon are the Champions of Europe and the boys are looking forward to it. Europe is gone for us and we want to work on the things that we have been trying in training.
"We will go and try and stretch them and we are just aiming to focus on ourselves and use the ball wisely."

Toulon have been boosted by the news veteran lock Bakkies Botha did not fracture his hand in their win over Racing Metro as initially feared but he is still likely to miss the Ulster clash.

Match Facts •Ulster Rugby have won on their last two trips to France, after previously failing to win on French soil in 14 attempts.
•Toulon, however, have won all 13 home games in the competition.
•The French side have won their last four encounters with Irish teams by an average margin of 12 points.
•The meeting between these two sides in Round 2 saw 23 turnovers won by the teams combined (Ulster 12, Toulon 11); only one fixture this season has seen more turnovers won in a single game.
•Only one player has managed to beat more defenders than Craig Gilroy, he has beaten 13 defenders from just 33 carries this season.

Match Officials
Referee Leighton Hodges (Wales)
Touch Judge 1 Wayne Davies (Wales)
Touch Judge 2 Greg Morgan (Wales)
Fourth Official Mourad Zitouni (France)
TMO Gareth Simmonds (Wales)

Citing Commissioner Buster White (England)
http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/30022.php

Jared Payne got Ulster's players hopelessly lost in Venice at the weekend
Venice - where the streets have no signs

Jared Payne is set for a Champions Cup start against Toulon, on Saturday, but has a better chance of walking straight back into the Irish team than being trusted with directions by his Ulster colleagues.

Ulster are all but out of the mix for a knock-out place, in Europe, and Payne admits three defeats have left them looking at 'wildcard predications'. The province face Toulon this weekend and, going into that mountain-climb, were boosted by a bonus point league win over Treviso. Payne made his return, after a lengthy foot injury, off the bench and navigated the closing stages well.

His navigational skills came into question, however, at Ulster's weekly briefing. Hooker Rob Herring says, 'It was my first time in Venice. We arrived pretty early in Treviso, on Saturday, and there were about 15 of us who got a taxi and just went down.

'It was good to see the sights. Jared got us lost a few times. He claimed he can read a map but... '

Payne's last start was on his Ireland debut in the Guinness Series win over South Africa. He says, 'It was a bit disappointing to not be on the field as the final whistle blew but it was still a great day and I couldn't have asked for any more.'

The initial prognosis, following his foot sprain, was a two-week absence. That stretched to two months as Darren Cave, then Robbie Henshaw staked claims for the Irish 13 jersey. 'I'm still trying to figure (the injury) out,' he says. 'I just pushed off it a bit funny and I think I sprained something and it seems to have taken forever.'

As for an instant return to the Irish squad, he comments, 'Ah look, that's a long way away. I've played next to no rugby and I can't expect to be anywhere near that team. I've just got to try and get my foot right and get a few more minutes on the field.'
http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/jared-pay ... ekend/9049

Ulster relishing the chance to tear the script apart against Toulon
Herring isn't hiding from mammoth task against star-studded French
Sitting pretty: Rob Herring is set to start against Toulon with Rory Best expected to be rested
Rob Herring is visibly shaking with the cold so you feel obliged to shorten this encounter to allow him to find warmth somewhere and fast, just in case he ends up joining the list of the sidelined players not going anywhere near Toulon on Saturday.

The 24-year-old hooker is not long off the training pitch on what has been a day when the temperature has threateningly loitered around the freezing mark, a situation which has been made all the more unpleasant by the accompanying gale whipping around the place.

Nevertheless, the Irish-qualified South African is still up for a bit of tub-thumping in what should be only his sixth start of the season - with Rory Best expected to be rested - and an even rarer opportunity to play from the outset in Europe.

"I haven't had much game-time in the last few weeks so I'm raring to go," he says of mostly making do with life on the bench and the prospect of now taking on the double European champions on their own patch at Stade Felix Mayol.

And with the sides at opposite ends of Pool Three with Toulon angling for a place in the last eight - though ideally with a home quarter-final to their name - while Ulster contemplate the likely looking end to their already more than remote mathematical hope of progressing, Herring is still prepared to talk the talk despite the odds looking overwhelmingly stacked against his side actually winning.

"Obviously they are a great side who have achieved so much over the last few years, so you've got to respect that, but at the same time, they're just players as well."

And the one-time capped Ireland player - who recently won man of the match in the PRO12 win over Connacht - continues to make the appropriate noises regarding the huge task ahead.

"Realistically we are probably out of the Champions Cup," he admits. "But we don't want to go there and just throw in the towel.

"We want to go and play good rugby and I'm not going there just to make up the numbers.

"I want to go there and win and as a rugby player that is the attitude you've got to have going into these kind of games."

Some may scoff at Herring's optimism, especially in light of Ulster's injury list - now including Dan Tuohy, Wiehahn Herbst and Luke Marshall - and their stuttering display in Sunday's narrow PRO12 win at lowly Treviso, but for the Cape Town native a lot is at stake as this is his chance to test himself against the best in the business.

Normally, at this time of year, the hooker who joined Ulster in summer 2012 would be waiting for the Six Nations and Best's absence to get in some serious game-time, but circumstances have changed and Ulster's European season looks certain to be reaching endgame at the pool stages for the first time since 2010.

Hence his opportunity, as Best is widely expected to be missing this weekend, and Herring knows he has to show up despite the clear impression that Ulster are somewhat up against it against the star-studded Toulon squad.

"You can't big them up too much, you've got to go there and show what you can do," is Herring's take on what has to be done.

He has, at least, been at the Stade Felix Mayol before and was part of the London Irish squad which travelled there in December 2011 in the then Heineken Cup, though admittedly in a non-playing role.

"I was there with Irish and I was 24th man," he recalls of a game in which his team-mates were duly turned over 38-17.

Although he didn't get on the field, the experience of being in the cauldron of a ground was something he nevertheless absorbed and filed in the memory bank.

"You walk into the stadium and their crowd is all around you and it's really very loud," Herring says of being there just over four years ago which could, in essence, be a template for playing at most Top 14 grounds.

"I think as a player you enjoy those moments and I know I really enjoyed it," he adds while mentioning that he did come off the bench to participate in last season's thumping 25-8 victory at Montpellier.

Herring was benched for Sunday's tight squeak at Treviso and readily accepts that Neil Doak's squad will be facing a long and fairly miserable afternoon on Saturday if they bring their shapeless, and scoreless, second half performance from northern Italy with them to the south coast of France.

"We know we've got to step it up massively on the defensive side this week," he states when reflecting on the Treviso experience.

"I think if we can defend very well, have a good set-piece and a decent attack then we're in with a chance."

Naturally, the early exchanges will be key as Ulster try to become only the second side to have won at the Stade Mayol this season and Herring, who got some game-time from the bench against Saturday's opposition in October's defeat at the Kingspan, is determined to face down the rather intimidating challenge.

"Away from home you've just got to make a statement first up and get the ref on your side a bit," he says.

"It will be really tough, but as long as we can win our own ball and try to disrupt theirs then I believe we'll be right in there."

"I'm really looking forward to this one," he adds before going in search of some much-needed heat to further fuel his belief that Saturday's mammoth task can be achieved.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 08766.html

Toulon's vast resources can halt the slump in European Champions Cup
Broke down: Mathieu Bastareud labelled himself a zombie after Toulon’s defeat against Stade Francais
They've certainly had some problems winning away from home and there have been issues with them losing focus in certain home games, while discipline-wise things could definitely have been better.

Sounds a bit like Ulster but, in actual fact, we're talking Toulon here. Yes, Toulon.

Having been top of the Top 14 tree at Christmas, the current European and domestic champions now find themselves third in the table after losing their last three away games at Montpellier, Stade Francais and struggling Castres with the latter reverse being back in November.

Hardly the best form to be bringing in to the final two weekends of European pool action and though they do lead Pool Three and have Ulster at home on Saturday, there is a very nasty look about their last game at the Scarlets who they hosted in the first round of matches and, surprisingly, found it tough enough to beat the Welsh side and did so without bagging a bonus point.

Indeed, factor in their last-gasp 25-21 European reverse at Leicester Tigers, chiefly recalled for Martin Castrogiovanni's expletive-laden outburst afterwards and the difficulties Delon Armitage landed himself in as well, and the French giants have managed to lose on the last four occasions they have played outside their fortress at Stade Felix Mayol.

In the scheme of things, the attrition that is the Top 14 does tend to see rotation for away games but getting hammered 30-6 at championship rivals Stade Francais just after Christmas is just not what is supposed to happen to the hugely expensive squad which club president and comic book multi-millionaire Mourad Boudjellal has assembled.

In fact, that defeat allowed Stade to rack up the double over Toulon as the Paris-based side have been the only ones to get the better of Boudjellal's squad on their own patch this season.

Indeed, marauding centre Mathieu Bastareaud broke down after that defeat to Stade and declared himself "a zombie" which, again, did little to dispel the notion that there are issues at the star-studded club.

"Since the beginning of the season I haven't been able to find my form. I'm a zombie," Bastareaud said afterwards.

"I think that now I've come to the end of the road. There comes a time when you have to say 'stop!'"

And all this came before they were turned over again the following weekend - on January 3 - at Montpellier, now under the guidance of Jake White.

Even last weekend, there were worrying signs when they racked up a 32-23 home win over Racing Metro in that it only took a late Matt Giteau try to secure the game after Toulon had looked home and hosed after having built up a commanding 22-3 lead.

Mind you, Toulon still bagged four tries and have now possibly sorted out the fallout from Monsieur Bastareaud's laments as the game against Racing brought together what could prove to be a dream combination with Giteau featuring at inside centre beside the also recently returned star-turn Juan Martin Hernandez, who also shone at out-half.

Problems? Yes, but, then again, this is Toulon and with their frightening resources there always seems to be a way out of trouble.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 08768.html

Biting Back: No substitute for top quality signings
Ali Gordon: "A lack of suitable replacements certainly hasn’t worked for Ulster Rugby"
Replacements always cause problems. Just look at Liverpool for example.

Last season’s Premier League title chasers can realistically only dream of a top-five finish in the absence of Luis Suarez this season as boss Brendan Rodgers continues on in pursuit of a working formula for the Reds without their star striker.

A lack of suitable replacements certainly hasn’t worked for Ulster Rugby either.

2012 was very nearly the dream year for the men in white. They reached the Heineken Cup final at Twickenham, albeit to be hammered 42-12 by Leinster, to prove that they were up there with the best.

Coach Brian McLaughlin did not have his contract renewed at the end of the 2011/12 season though, despite Ulster’s brilliant season. The powers that be wanted a coach to take the club to the next level — but so far no-one has.

Director of Rugby David Humphreys’ departure to Gloucester came as a massive shock to many but he wasn’t the club’s only big change in the last year.

Ulster lost coach Mark Anscombe alongside a host of top players, including Johann Muller and John Afoa.

Last month Stephen Ferris argued: “If Ulster want to compete with the best, they have to bring in big names year in, year out.”

And he’s right. “When you lose four or five stars and bring in one or two you won’t cut it,” added the former Lions star.

With the game against Toulon only days away, let’s hope that Ulster can prove that they’re still able to compete up there with the best, even without the big name signings.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 06013.html

Image Image
It just gets worse for struggling Ulster
Crisis hit Ulster will be without three more key players for Saturday’s European Champions Cup tie in Toulon.

The absence of Ireland second row Dan Tuohy, prop Wiehahn Herbst, full back Ricky Andrew and centre Luke Marshall have heighted the pressure on coach Neil Doak who is already stuggling with a lengthy injury list.

Tuohy will be out for up two months with a thumb injury which means he will almost certainly miss out on the Six Nations He is undergoing surgery to repair a torn ligament. The former Exeter Chiefs player has been capped nine times by Ireland, but it is now highly doubtful he will be part of Joe Schmidt’s squad during February and March.

Herbst is out with a hamstring injury sustained in the win in Treviso and Andrews is recovering from a perforated eardrum. Marshall will not travel either as he follows the return-to-play protocols after being treated for concussion in training last week.

Back row Nick Williams is likely to available for selection, but with the likes of Andrew Trimble, Chris Henry, Stuart McCloskey and lock Iain Henderson out for the foreseeable future – Henderson has resumed light training after being out since September with a hip injury – this has been a nightmare period for Doak, who is deputising until Less Kiss returns.

He said: “Our resources are very stretched, but we will pick our strongest side from the players that we have available. The pressure is on Toulon, but we’ll go there with nothing to lose, try and get a win and use it as a springboard for the rest of the season.”

Ulster are more or less out of the Champions Cup. They play the Leicester Tigers in Belfast on Saturday, a game that might have been a guaranteed sell out. But Ulster Rugby has confirmed that tickets are still available.
http://www.amcleanbookmakers.com/it-jus ... ng-ulster/
Last edited by Mac on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 15th January 2015

PART II

Darren Cave to make 150th appearance for Ulster
Darren Cave will celebrate a special achievement this weekend when he makes his 150th appearance for Ulster. We asked him what it means to hit such a milestone and to pick out his top five memories in an Ulster shirt so far:

DC: Growing up it was a dream of mine to play for Ulster so to be winning my 150th cap for Ulster is absolutely beyond my dreams. I’m honoured to be joining a short list of players in the province, many of whom I respect as much as anyone in the game. The most exciting thing for me is that I’m contracted here for another three and a half years and believe we have a management and coaching set-up in place that can make the rest of my time here even more enjoyable and successful than my first 150 caps.

Munster ERC QF 08/04/12 (Thomond Park) Won 16-22

DC: Best memory in an Ulster jersey to date was the full time whistle in this game, winning at such a fantastic ground against one of our biggest rivals in such a massive game in front of two of the best sets of rugby supporters going

Dragons PRO12 18/03/11 (Kingspan Stadium) Won 25-23

DC: I was on the bench for this game after returning from a long-term hamstring injury and got put it for a try with one of my first touches of the ball after I got on. I’ll never forget the reaction I got from the fans and in particular from my teammates who rushed to celebrate with me. Also Nevin Spence scored a cracking try in that game which I’ll always remember him for (as well as his headstand try vs. Bath of course)

Northampton ERC R3 07/12/12 (Franklin’s Gardens) Won 6-25

DC: I’ll never forget the feeling when Dan Tuohy crashed over in the corner in injury time to secure a four-try bonus point. Maybe the best team performance I’ve been involved in at Ulster.

Leinster ERC FINAL 19/05/12 (Twickenham) Lost 42-14

DC: One of the highlights of my Ulster career is ironically one of the low points as well. To play on an occasion like that is something I will never forget, I have good closure as I feel that Leinster were the best team in Europe by far that season so we can have no complaints, but to get so close to winning a European Cup and then losing out is not nice.

Saracens ERC QF 05/04/14 (Kingspan Stadium) Lost 15-17

DC: Obviously ended up being a massive disappointment but to play in front of 18000 Ulster for the first ERC QF in 14 (ish) years was just a fantastic occasion. It was also my 27th birthday.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... lster.aspx
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 16th January 2015

Ulster stretched thin ahead of 'flu-ravaged' Toulon visit Image
Ali Williams in action for Toulon
GIVEN their own injury travails this season, Ulster might have been tempted to adopt a mood of schadenfreude when hearing that their galactico opponents Toulon, riven by a 'flu virus this week, were forced to cancel training yesterday.

"There is a 'flu epidemic right now at the club," revealed Australian wing Drew Mitchell. "Myself, I am sick since the beginning of the week and I have still not been training. I came to this press conference, but then I go home. It is not ideal to prepare a game, but it is important that all the guys rest to be fit Saturday."

For all that, Toulon will still pitch up for a reconstituted training session today while still being in a position to name Mitchell and a host of other internationals in their 'flu-ridden backline - the likes of Mathieu Bastareaud, Maxime Mermoz, Mitchell, Leigh Halfpenny, Bryan Habana and Matt Giteau have been named in their squad.

Ulster coach Neil Doak can only marvel at such resources; at one stage this season, his side almost struggled to complete their bench line-up, such has been their festering injury crisis.

"Our resources are stretched, that is the simple truth," says Doak, who this week saw Dan Tuohy (thumb) and Luke Marshall (concussion) add to his extensive list of absentees for a side who were already resigned to an early exit from Europe.

"It would be nice to have a full squad but we don't, that's the reality. We've toyed with giving a few guys opportunities who have been on the fringes but that is probably going to happen in any event. But we need to put out our strongest side even though we know we won't be anywhere near full-strength."

Instead, Doak will seek to maintain his side's shaky assault on a Pro12 play-off spot by throwing caution to the wind in an attempt to inject some vigour into their only available trophy option.

"The pressure is off us so we need to bring enthusiasm and excitement to the occasion and we need to be clinical in terms of finishing opportunities off and try to come up with the win.

"We know there's no pressure in terms of league points so we need to try to put in the kind of performance that we can kind of stretch them, it's the rugby that suits us.

"So we need to manipulate things but at the same time not be too predictable in terms of using the ball wildly all the time as we have other options.

"If we play well and are clinical in terms of taking opportunities that we can create, then I suppose this can give us a springboard for the rest of the domestic campaign."

Despite Toulon's difficulties, they will be expected to maintain France's strong charge to dominate the line-up of teams chasing a home quarter-final in April's knockout stages.

A further motivating factor was added to the mix at yesterday's eventful press conference in France when renowned Kiwi second-row Ali Williams (left) declared his intention to retire at the end of the season.

"I've enjoyed every day that I've played rugby and I'm still enjoying it to the end but my body's said enough is enough," said Williams, now the third World Cup winner to quit the club in a year.

"There's huge motivation to go out on a winning note but like anything you can't look to the prizes, you have to look to the processes for the next few months to try to get to the prizes.

"I can't train during the week and you can't commit to another season and let players down by not being able to train during the week.

"It's hard to acknowledge that but it's just one of those things and you have to walk away, start again and do something else.

"What I will do I don't know. Maybe my wife will work and I'll go fishing.

"Or maybe not! Maybe a little bit of hunting, maybe a little bit of cooking."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/c ... 12004.html

Ulster hooker Rob Herring wants to impress Ireland coach Joe Schmidt
Ulster hooker Rob Herring will look to grab the attention of Ireland boss Joe Schmidt tomorrow as the province face a daunting trip to European champions Toulon.

With Ulster skipper Rory Best to be rested along with Tommy Bowe under Ireland’s Player Management Programme, Herring will want to put down a marker to be selected in Schmidt’s enlarged training squad ahead of the Six Nations and also consolidate a place in the Irish Wolfhounds match-day 23 that faces England Saxons at the end of the month.

The Cape Town-born Herring has proved a more than useful replacement for leader Best and will see tomorrow’s Champions Cup clash against the mighty Toulon as an ideal opportunity to state his case.

“I’m really looking forward to this game. I haven’t had much game-time in the last while so I’m raring to go. It has been frustrating, obviously, but hopefully I’ll now get a run of games and be able put my hand up a bit,” said Herring, who won his sole Irish cap as a replacement during the Argentina tour last summer and wants Ulster to stand up to be counted.

“Obviously they are a great side who have achieved so much over the last few years so you’ve got to respect that. But at the same time, they’re just players as well and although realistically we are probably out of Europe, we don’t want to go there and just throw in the towel,” stressed Herring who was signed from London Irish three season ago.

“We want to go and play good rugby. I’m not going there just to make up the numbers. Obviously it’s a big game but you can’t big them up too much, you’ve got to go there and show what you can do. I want to go there and win and as a rugby players that is the attitude you’ve got to have going into these kind of games.”

Herring highlighted the fact that Ulster appear to be blowing hot and cold this season, particularly in the narrow 24-20 squeaky win against Treviso last week.

“We were massively pleased with our first half performance and it showed what we can do when we hold the ball and put phases together. But our second half defence wasn’t good enough and that let them back in the game and got the crowd going. They were lifted by that.

“So we’ve got to step it up massively on the defensive side this week, I think if we can defend very well, have a good set-piece and attack, we’re in with a chance.”

Meanwhile, Richard Cockerill accepts Leicester have to chase a perfect 10 out of 10 in their quest for a European Champions Cup quarter-final place.

Leicester host the Scarlets tonight, and then tackle Ulster in Belfast next weekend, with their last-eight hopes likely to be dashed unless Tigers can collect a five-point maximum on each occasion.

“Eighteen points might just be good enough to allow us to creep in as one of the three best runners-up, but 16 or 17 probably won’t be,” Leicester rugby director Cockerill said.

“I’ve told the players that we need to get our attacking mindset right and go for two bonus-point victories.

“We need to win, we need maximum points out of our final two games to have any chance of qualifying, and it is a big ask.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 07224.html

Pressure on Ulster players to deliver performance: Stuart Olding
Weakened by injuries once again and likely to miss other front line internationals due to the IRFU player welfare programme Ulster will face double European champions Toulon as huge underdogs on Saturday at Stade Felix Mayol.

Toulon are looking to as good as secure a place in the last eight with a win, while Ulster, who sit bottom of the table, have basically pride at stake even if - at a long shot - they can still qualify mathematically.

Since suffering their third defeat in the Pool Three in Llanelli just before Christmas Ulster’s hopes of making the knockout stages for a fifth consecutive Euro campaign practically evaporated.

The focus has turned to the Guinness PRO12 since then and Ulster has struggled to find a performance but did end a poor run of away results with a win over Benetton Treviso last Sunday, albeit unconvincingly 24-20.

Few are giving Ulster any chance in France and it is hard not to see anything other than a win for Toulon with their star studded cast - even if they have suffered recent defeats in the Top 14.

However, Ulster are certainly not writing themselves off and the players are putting themselves under pressure to out and perform against one of the best sides in Europe.

Irish centre, Stuart Olding, said: “There is pressure on us to over there and get a performance.

“In the first half of the games against Leinster and Treviso we played probably some of our best rugby this season.

“Then we let it slip off a bit.

“There is a huge amount of pressure on the boys coming into this team to put their hands up, test themselves against the best in the world and put on their best performance.

“I think we have the ability to do it and it is just a case of getting our mind set right.”

One of the players Olding is likely to come up against is Matt Giteau, a player the Irish centre admires.

““He is left footed like myself, he loves to play with the ball in his hand and has a good running game.

“I have always admired him growing up and watching him play, he has had a big influence on my game with the style of rugby I like and the style of rugby I try to play.

“It would be good to play against him again. He is an incredible player and he has certainly proved himself in world rugby and now over in European rugby.”

Olding has yet to nail a position down and it is something he is keen to progress in the coming months.

“I have played in a few positions over the last two or three years. I like playing 12 and that is where I want to play and hopefully I can get plenty of game time there and get a good run of games and just build momentum.

“I think if I just keep playing their the confidence will grow and I’ll be more comfortable there.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-6524893

Rory Best calls on European Cup bosses to review tournament format
The second-tier Challenge Cup will “drift away” unless changes are made to European rugby’s knockout competitions, according to Ireland hooker Rory Best.

Ulster front-rower Best believes teams across Europe will not take the Challenge Cup seriously unless lifting the title guarantees qualification to the top-tier Champions Cup.

Best has called on European bosses to restore the system of teams failing to qualify for Champions Cup quarter-finals dropping into the second-tier knockout stages.

Ulster could yet finish second in pool three of the Champions Cup, but still find themselves dumped out of European competition altogether this term.

“There’s a real worry certainly from players I’ve talked to that the second-tier competition could drift away, and that the gap between the two tournaments becomes wider rather than it narrowing,” Ulster captain Best said.

“I think it’s wrong not to have teams dropping down from the Champions Cup to the second-tier competition for the knockout stages.

“And another glaring error in the revamp of the competitions is not to have included the winners of the Challenge Cup as an automatic qualifier for the next season’s Champions Cup.”

The new-look Champions Cup replaced the Heineken Cup this season following two years of continent-wide stand-offs over television revenue and qualification processes.

In the old set-up, second-tier Challenge Cup winners earned qualification for the top-tier tournament, but that berth has now been handed to the winners of a play-off system.

The seventh-placed finishers in the English and French leagues will compete with the eighth-placed Pro12 outfit for the final Champions Cup spot for next season.

Teams also no longer drop down from the Champions Cup into the Challenge Cup quarter-finals.

Grenoble boss Bernard Jackman labelled the new-look Challenge Cup “pointless” in December, backing up the general French decision not to prioritise the competition.

French clubs have won just 11 of 28 games in the second-string European tournament so far this term, with many fielding weakened line-ups to protect frontline players for league action.

The five pool winners and three best-placed runners will qualify for this term’s Champions Cup quarter-finals, so two sides finishing second in their pools will be out of European action altogether.

Ulster could finish second in a pool also comprising Leicester Tigers, the Scarlets and reigning European champions Toulon but find themselves out of the competition.

Neil Doak’s side face pivotal clashes at Toulon and in Belfast against Leicester to complete their pool schedule in the next fortnight.

Best believes whoever finishes second in pool three will have done enough to merit a quarter-final in at least one of Europe’s two club competitions.

“If you happen to finish second in a group containing the Scarlets, Leicester and Toulon, that’s still one heck of an achievement,” said Best.

“There probably won’t be a best runner-up to come out of our group because everyone will probably beat each other at home, bar obviously us already failing to beat Toulon.

“But to win all your home games, lose away games against top teams, finish second in that group and have no knockout rugby at all, I think that’s harsh.

“It would be harsh on whoever it could happen to in that group.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-6524890

Stuart Olding believes Ulster can pass test in France
Stuart Olding hopes to get among the Ulster scorers against Toulon tomorrow
Outside in the gathering gloom, Stuart Olding spots his housemate Iain Henderson and Nick Williams doing some rather intense-looking tackling work on each other and expresses himself grateful that he is not involved.

As he peers out the window, you can't help but bring up the lingering hurt from last October's first meeting with double European champions Toulon and reflect on his own curtailed experience from that Saturday afternoon when, while directly marking Maxime Mermoz, he also had to keep an eye on a certain Mathieu Bastareaud.

"They all come in different shapes and sizes and he's certainly a big one," is Olding's reaction to the memory of that day and 23-13 defeat.

"It's one of the obstacles you have to overcome when you play top class rugby," the 21-year-old adds of a game he failed to see out after being forced off the field in the second half after being kicked in the head by Romain Taofifenua who was subsequently cited and banned.

And just in case you thought there might be some animosity still out there after the incident, Olding makes sure that he defuses any such notion.

"You know, I don't think there was anything malicious in it and he apologised to me after the game."

At least all this reflection manages to, albeit briefly, avoid any discussion about Saturday and Ulster's seemingly inevitable exit from all things European this season. With Ulster bottom of Pool Three and leaders Toulon striving to book a place in the last eight, there is still talk of possible mathematical outcomes should Neil Doak's men win tomorrow, though precious few are genuinely investing much in anything other than a home victory coming to pass.

All the players can do is accept their lot and just get on with preparing for another game, leaving aside the ramifications of trying and potentially failing to get one over on their much-moneyed hosts.

Olding doesn't exactly bristle when having to air his views on Ulster's situation regarding their likely European exit but, understandably, this subject matter is not something any of the squad find much comfort in having to dissect.

After all, this squad has got used to operating with the added hype of chasing down a European quarter-final place as has been the case over the last few seasons.

Such a notion, now, is effectively gone and with it the realisation that, going forward, the streamlined European Champions Cup looks set to be a very unforgiving competition for sides without huge budgets such as those available to Saturday's hosts.

"I suppose the pressure is off in terms of progressing out of the group stages," admits Olding.

"But it's a big opportunity for the guys to step up and play against some of the best players in the world.

"Our squad will thrive on that and there are a few things that we want to put right (after the first game)," the two-times capped Ireland international states before pointing out that, actually, there is considerable pressure on this group of players to perform and potentially ransack the odds.

"But I wouldn't say there is no pressure. Mathematically it is possible for us to get out of the group, though it is quite a long shot," he says.

"I think there is a huge amount of pressure on the boys being brought in to put their hands up and test themselves.

"It's hugely disappointing the position we're in at the minute," he says referring to the situation in Pool Three rather than the fallout from Sunday's less than convincing PRO12 win at Treviso. "But everybody realises that and also realises what they've got to do (over there).

"A lot of people are writing us off, but I don't think they're right to do that.

"We'll go over there, do what we have to do and who knows? It would be nice to get another away win in France."

He also accepts that showing up well is something that is required not only for general squad morale but is also a prerequisite for impressing Joe Schmidt ahead of the Ireland coach naming his extended Six Nations squad.

And, after Olding's try-scoring cameo off the bench against Georgia, along with him them being called down to Dublin to provide squad cover on the day of the Australia game, you can understand that the former Belfast Royal Academy pupil wants to put in a decent display.

With his versatility - Olding can play centre, full-back, out-half and wing - there is much to recommend him to Schmidt, but the Ulsterman's priority is to perform for his province at the weekend and then let the rest (namely Ireland) take care of itself.

"On the national side these two games with Toulon and Leicester coming up are where you want to perform at your best so then you can hopefully get into the Six Nations squad," he says before taking another glance out of the window at the now empty pitch below which is now shrouded in darkness and focusing again on preparations for Saturday's more immediate challenge.

"There is a lot of pressure on us to put in a performance and I think we have the ability to do so.

"It's just a case of getting on mindset right."

And hitting Toulon with some of the ferocity shown in Henderson and Williams's tackling drill.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 11601.html

Rory Best: Ulster will put up a real fight to the end in Challenge Cup
Rory Best believes self-inflicted wounds have cost Ulster dearly in this season’s Challenge Cup
Ulster are kicking themselves for chances missed so far in this term's Champions Cup, according to skipper Rory Best.

The 32-year-old, who could well be rested for this weekend's trip to France to play Toulon, admits that self-inflicted wounds have cost his side dearly.

"I think the frustrating thing for us is losing at the Scarlets: a win there would have just put everything in our hands," said the Ireland hooker.

"It would have left us with two wins from our last two games and we'd have definitely qualified.

"So that's frustrating but there's nothing we can do about that now.

"So we'll probably have to rely on other teams for results to go the way we want.

"There's still a chance, it's slighter than we'd like but where there's still a chance so we'll fight for it.

"All the groups are so tight, and with everyone beating each other, who knows what points tally teams will get through with in second place.

"It's extremely exciting to face Toulon over there as we are this weekend, you're going up against almost two teams of world-class players; that's how strong their squad is.

"But we have to realise they are not unbeatable.

"If you can get under their skin and get them rattled, they are fallible, and that's where you've got to take them to."

Meanwhile, Best has warned that the Challenge Cup will 'drift away' unless changes are made to European rugby's knockout competitions.

Best believes teams across Europe will not take the Challenge Cup seriously unless lifting the title guarantees qualification to the top-tier Champions Cup.

Best has called on European bosses to restore the system of teams failing to qualify for Champions Cup quarter-finals dropping into the second-tier knockout stages.

Ulster could yet finish second in pool three of the Champions Cup, but still find themselves dumped out of European competition altogether this term.

"There's a real worry certainly from players I've talked to that the second-tier competition could drift away, and that the gap between the two tournaments becomes wider rather than it narrowing," Best said.

"I think it's wrong not to have teams dropping down from the Champions Cup to the second-tier competition for the knockout stages.

"And another glaring error in the revamp of the competitions is not to have included the winners of the Challenge Cup as an automatic qualifier for the next season's Champions Cup."

Ulster could finish second in a pool also comprising Leicester Tigers and the Scarlets - who face each other evening - and reigning European champions Toulon but find themselves out of the competition.

Best believes whoever finishes second in pool three will have done enough to merit a quarter-final in at least one of Europe's two club competitions.

"If you happen to finish second in a group containing the Scarlets, Leicester and Toulon, that's still one heck of an achievement," he said. "There probably won't be a best runner-up out of our group as everyone will probably beat each other at home, bar obviously us already failing to beat Toulon.

"But to win all your home games, lose away games against top teams, finish second in that group and have no knockout rugby at all, I think that's harsh.

"It would be harsh on whoever it could happen to in that group."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 11592.html

Franco Van der Merwe is ready to see off old pals in European Cup
Ulster player relishing locking horns with Toulon’s talented Springbok herd at weekend
Franco van der Merwe wants a strong finish from Ulster securing at least a top four spot in the Pro12
As he struggles through the plunging temperatures of his first winter in Ulster since arriving from South Africa, Franco van der Merwe would have envisaged a different scenario for this weekend's trip to Toulon when he first pitched up at the Kingspan Stadium last summer, but the lock has warned that his side need to give their all in tomorrow's virtual dead-rubber.

Three defeats in four games have left Ulster's European hopes in little short of a terminal condition but Van der Merwe knows that the back-to-back champions have the capacity to add insult to injury in the south of France if Ulster do not enter this weekend in the right frame of mind.

"We're sort of mathematically out of the European Cup but if you're off the beat this weekend, playing Toulon at home, they can make it a very long day for you," said the 31-year-old who missed last week's win over Treviso with a now-healed chest infection.

"It's a world class stadium, with a good atmosphere, and they'll have a lot of good support. They have a quality team filled with good international players and it's definitely a challenge that we should look forward to and one that we are looking forward to.

"It's important for us as players to enjoy ourselves as well."

Embracing the challenge of facing the expensively assembled all-stars, van der Merwe will also enjoy going head to head against some notable compatriots.

"Obviously Bryan Habana, Juan Smith and Bakkies Botha are there so it's three big players from the Springboks. They've been around and are really top players," he said.

"It's always good to meet up with the guys, maybe talk a bit of Afrikaans down in the rucks, but there will be a lot of international players out there that we have to watch for."

While the Champions Cup was a huge draw in the once-capped Springbok's decision to uproot ahead of this season, Ulster's failure in the competition has not lessened the enthusiasm for his new career in the northern hemisphere.

"I'm very happy, my wife is very happy, the facilities are world class, the way they manage the players is unbelievable," said the man signed from the Lions in Super Rugby.

"It's been great."

"Coming to Ulster, obviously the European Cup was six massive games but so far we've enjoyed the season.

"It hasn't went the way we would like in Europe but, in the Pro12, we're fifth on the log and we have to get into the top four.

"For us, it's still about getting that silverware and, it's been a difficult season for us the last couple of games, but I definitely still think it's possible.

"The players we have, and the experience here, there's definitely still an opportunity.

"We're definitely focusing on the Pro12, and we still have Munster and Leinster at the Kingspan Stadium, and the Glasgow game away, so there are big games to come.

"It's very important to finish in the top four but it would be a real bonus to have a home semi or even a home final."

For the next eight weeks at least, the quest to secure their play-off spot will have to forge ahead without Dan Touhy, the second time this season that he and Van der Merwe's effective partnership in the Ulster engine room has been interrupted thanks to an injury suffered by the Irish international lock.

Disappointed by the news Tuohy required thumb surgery yesterday, Van der Merwe has called on upon Ulster's young locks to fill the void.

"It's very unfortunate for Dan to be out again because he's a brilliant player. He's a very good ball carrier for us and he's a good leader.

"He brings a lot of experience to the pack but, he's broken his arm and now his thumb, so that shows you the way he likes to play. He's a tough, hard man.

"The way he plays sometimes you'll get those injures, and hopefully he'll be back soon. It's a big year, with the World Cup and the Six Nations and I really hope he can make it back into that Irish group.

"He's an international player, and that sometimes makes it a bit easier for me, but it will give someone else an opportunity.

"We have some good young players, and some older guys as well coming back as well, so somebody else will have to put up their hand."

Regardless of what's at stake, there would be few better venues to do so than against Toulon at the Stade Mayol.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 11538.html

Toulon still look strong against Ulster despite flu outbreak
Leigh Halfpenny is fit to play for Toulon
It seems that Toulon just might not be feeling at their finest when it comes to Saturday afternoon's crunch encounter with Ulster.

According to reports, an outbreak of flu in the French club's camp has apparently resulted in many of their star players having to lie low this week instead of putting in their time on the training paddock ahead of the Pool Three leaders' final home game of the qualifying stages.

It seems their backline took the brunt of the bug and only Drew Mitchell managed to stay healthy with the rest of the reigning European champions' backline having to skip training as they either recovered or were immunised.

Nevertheless, the early release of the Toulon matchday squad includes the usual array of talent with Bryan Habana, Leigh Halfpenny, Matt Giteau, Maxime Mermoz, Mathieu Bastareaud, Sebastian Tillous-Borde and Rudi Wulf all having at least been named though their exact state of health seems to be unknown.

The recently returned Juan Martin Hernandez is not involved as he is not registered for Europe.

Up front, they have Steffon Armitage, Juan Smith, Martin Castrogiovanni, Carl Hayman and Ali Williams all named in a typically powerful looking pack.

Meanwhile, former All Black and World Cup winner Williams has announced his retirement from the game at the end of the season.

The 33-year-old has been with the French giants since 2013 and played a central role in last season's Top 14 and Heineken Cup double. He will join Hayman who has already announced that he is stepping down while Botha and Chris Masoe are also departing.

"I've been playing for 15 years, it's time to step aside. I want to finish well in going all the way in both competitions with Toulon," Williams said.

Toulon have had five players named in France's 31-man squad for the Six Nations. Bastareaud, Tillous-Borde, Romain Taofifenua, Guilhem Guirado and Alexandre Menini have all been included.

Toulon squad: Backs: S Tillous-Borde, N Sanchez, E Escande, R Wulf, M Bastareaud, M Mermoz, D Mitchell, L Halfpenny, B Habana, M Giteau. Forwards: X Chiocci, J-C Orioli, G Guirado, C Hayman, M Castrogiovanni, F Freisa, J Suta, R Taofifenua, A Williams, M Gorgodze, C Masoe, J Smith, S Armitage.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 11596.html

OTHER......... :roll:

Ex-Ireland bruiser Neil Best on how to make the perfect hit and THAT game vs Australia
The rampaging flanker now plays with London Scottish in the English Championship.
Best gave a classic all-action performance against Australia in 2006. Inpho
WHEN FORMER IRELAND flanker Neil Best explains how he selects his targets, he almost sounds like a military sniper. And back in the autumn of 2006 there was probably no harder hitter in world rugby than the bulldozer from Belfast.

The fiery flanker is famous for levelling opponents with either bone-liquefying hits or huge haymakers and when he shares his tackling technique, you quickly understand how he put a hurt on so many opponents.

‘Ideally you want the opposition to be coming off the touchline,” Best says.

“You want their out-half to be picking out a forward. You stand as about the fifth or sixth man in the defensive line away from the ruck, so you are wide. When they look inwards to take the ball, you cut across and f**king wipe him out. When they take the ball they will expose their ribs and that’s where you bury your shoulder.”

Best putting in a massive hit - HERE

Never has a journey between process and result looked so seamless. His destructive peak may have been in the previous decade but at 35, Best still makes a living in the game playing for London Scottish in the English second-tier.

Now, his shuddering smashes are enjoyed in Youtube compilations rather than on the pitch.

“I don’t do much of that now,” Best says.

“I try to stay out of trouble. It’s not the same now that I have three kids. I don’t really have time to work on my physique so it is harder to make those big tackles.”

He might not crunch opponents as much as he used to but Best is enjoying life at the Championship club, who are currently in fourth place pushing for promotion to the Aviva Premiership.

He says their head coach, James Buckland, is the best he has ever played under and at 33, thinks he has a huge future in the game as he gains experience.

Tackling was one thing that Best never really needed to be coached and it was his calling card during his rise from Ulster novice to international flanker. He was so enthusiastic for physicality that he thought nothing of levelling a team-mate or two at Ulster training.
Best found it hard not to smash his own team-mates in training.

He even earned a unique nickname for how he conducted himself in the first six years of his career, which began with Ulster in 2002.

“They used to call me ‘friendly fire’ because I would be hitting one of our own players or accidentally stepping on them or purposefully doing something,” Best said.

“It depended on who it was whether I would hit them hard in training or not. If it was one of the dicks I would but if it was someone I liked I would leave them alone. There are always dickheads who you don’t like.”

By his own admission, Best was a wild player as a young man. After leaving Ulster, he picked up a lengthy ban for gouging at Northampton and he was also involved in a fair few punch-ups during his career.

By his estimation, he was involved in one incident at Ulster, two or three at Northampton, two or three at Worcester and none so far at London Scottish.

And that is just with his own team-mates, by the way.

He says witnessing Paul O’Connell ‘almost kill’ Ryan Caldwell with a punch in training before the ’07 World Cup – as well as having three sons – changed his outlook on violence in the game.

“I’ve mellowed a lot with age and also since the Paul O’Connell/ Ryan Caldwell incident,” he says.

“That was pretty terrifying. After that I said I would never punch someone in the face again – unless a red mist completely descends on me.”

Of course, as Best says above, exceptions have to be made in the throes of combat. Like this incident with Cobus Visagie from Ireland vs the Barbarians in 2008 (go to 55 seconds).

Best V's Croft HERE

“I didn’t do anything there, Visagie hit me first,” Best says.

“It was a Barbarians game, I’m not going to go out to try and f**king punch people.”

One potentially mouth-watering training ground tussle would have been between Best in his prime and a young Stephen Ferris, but even someone as tough as Best knew that it would be hard to overpower that particular colleague.

“Stevie was just starting his career then but you knew early on how powerful he was,” Best says.

“I really liked him and we were usually on the same team in training. You have to pick your battles too though, he was about 18 stone and could run like the wind.”

Best’s 18-cap international career was brief but highly memorable. He was involved in Eddie O’Sullivan’s Ireland team when they were playing some of the best rugby in our nation’s history and most fans will remember his dominant all-round display against Australia in 2006.

Best put on a tackling clinic and also bulldozed some Wallabies in attack too, but he doesn’t remember the game as fondly as most fans.

Hard as Nails HERE

I remember it was raining beforehand and I was just thinking, ‘I couldn’t be arsed for this’,” Best says.

“I had given away a few balls against South Africa so I just wanted to get through it without making any boo-boos. The Tuqiri tackle was actually very easy to make because he had just passed the ball and his ribs were exposed. I didn’t think much of it at the time. I was just doing my job, I didn’t think it was anything special.”

One great perk about interviewing Neil Best is being able to pull out a question like, ‘Who is the most well-known rugby player that you have punched in the face?’

Andy Ward was one name discussed, but ultimately he settled on a two-time Scottish Lion.

“Back in 2007 we were playing Edinburgh and I punched Simon Taylor,” he says.

“It was a case of mistaken identity because I thought he had done something naughty to me so I caught him with an uppercut. Then he recently added me on LinkedIn and said ‘I still have that scar from when you caught me’. I explained to him that I meant to get somebody else.”
http://www.the42.ie/neil-best-1881929-Jan2015/
Image Image