UAFC Ask the Opposition - Scarlets - ANSWERS Pg5

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: UAFC Ask the Opposition - Scarlets

Post by Russ »

Surrey Red Hand wrote:Ummmmm a cyber supporter as I thought :D :D
Ive been rumbled

Might not even get to watch the match - might grab a Guinness in Philomena's
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

Plenty of us London based exiles to most of the Welsh games Russ .... always a lift for you IF you can get a pass out :lol:
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

and the results are in....
ASK THE OPPOSITION - LLANELLI SCARLETS
Massive thanks to all on UAFC and Scarlet Fever for their contributions to the first Ask the Opposition of the 14/15 Season! The thread continues here...but before Saturday, a selection of answers from the Scarlets fans are below:

Both teams have had an upheaval of the coaching ticket over the summer. Has Easterby left Scarlets in a better place than where they where when he started?

Multinational: This is more difficult to answer than it first appears. There have been a few significicant improvements in some areas of our play (pack more competitive, scrum better) but there has been a decline in our attacking threat and players look restricted in the decision making process - playing heads up rugby seemed to become a no-no. The question I can't answer is which coach you attribute any aspect of our play to. Having watched Saturday's game our back play had more flow and we kicked less - but Mark Jones is still there and has had most of the blame for the negative play - does this mean it was Easters etc?? We achieved top 4 but also took some pastings, we won some great games in Europe but ultimately came up short every season. I'd suggest we have probably stood still.

In The Bath: I think he has. I've always thought Simon had a difficult job for such an inexperienced coach; balancing a squad, developing players and remaining competitive, while in effect learning on the job, is a difficult thing to do. As he leaves us, we probably have the most balanced squad, in positions and national players, than we've had for a while.

Gate 12: I’d say yes, it’s a shame that by the time both Nigel Davies and Easterby shaped the squad their way they both moved on but our set piece improvements have been huge (although we haven’t always managed to make the most of it). Barclay filled the gap we had at 7 and Simon appears to have recruited the right type of players at 8 and on the wing.

MRFWON: If you consider that with regards to results and success, then you'd have to say no, but I wouldn't say in a worse position either. However, Simon had a huge job on his hands with limited experience, and I think it told towards the end. Simon as a player on the other hand, the proof is in the pudding, a class player, gave everything to the Scarlets during his playing career, and was a huge loss when he hung his boots up. I wish Simon all the very best in his new role, he will do extremely well I'm sure.

• What's your take on the new regime, and the players who have come in?

Multinational: We needed an 8, we have signed 2 punts. One was very impressive on Saturday. King adds magic, other new faces have done very little wrong and the squad seem far more competitive (plus it looks like we have a bench) Ultimately it comes down to the fact that we LOSE quality and that is the big difference between us and Ulster. You retain the quality AND add to it, we simply replace it. Pivac, on early impressions, understands our ethos, has had a positive effect already, has been honest about our shortcomings and seems a very good choice. Long season to go though and he will be judged on key moments and results.

In The Bath: Pivac has been saying all the right things, which obviously goes down well. We needed 2 number 8s, as McCusker filled in there for a few years and we've got 2: a young Welshman with something to prove and a seasoned veteran. We'll have to see how they work out but Pitman has been promising. Harry Robinson and Michael Tagicakibau will give us some reasonable depth int he back 3. Losing Jon is a blow, but Regan King knows the club/region inside out and will add something different.

LWLEW: ALL LOOKING GOOD FOR FUTURE

• Who'll take the points on Saturday?

Multinational:
Us. Ulster are always hampered by player withdrawal early on in the season and we seem to be playing positive stuff. Oddly you are one of the few teams that don't scare us - regardless of the fact you are a very decent team (much better on paper). It's as though our styles suit each other and they are always competitive games. Home advtantage will tip it our way.

In the Bath: I think we'll take the points. Your first 23 isn't that much better than ours and you'll be missing 3-4 more players than we will.

MRFWON: Tough call to be honest, and given our home record against you guys, anything goes to be honest. Our pre-season performances have been extremely encouraging, so if I have to choose a team, I'd say us on that basis.

LWLEW: ULSTER

• What do you make of Ulster?

Multinational: I don't see Ulster as a top 2 team this season so hopefully we will be fighting it out with you for 3rd/4th. (...) They have become a top European team and are well supported. Some of the fans are more one eyed than us - hard to believe! Ulster has the same 'persona' as Sarries of late - Little SA.

EJPT: I think Ulster will do alright this season. I think its you or us for 4th place this year. Your focus on Europe will be your downfall (and ours as well). Injuries always hit us hard and with significant players leaving both clubs any injuries to both clubs key players could be fatal to the season, we'll wait and see.

In the Bath: (...) The coaching movements were a surprise. You've got a couple of big holes to fill playing and personality wise in the squad, so it will be interesting to see if you manage it. I suspect we'll be one place below you in both Pro12 and Europe.

Gate 12: You were a bit of a let-down last season for me, I thought you would have done better but you had some back luck with injuries and key moments in big matches. I think some of the departures are overrated and you may not miss guys like Afoa as much as some think and it could be a season where a few younger players really stamp their mark. With all the changes we’re in a similarly uncertain position but we’ll both be there or thereabouts.

MRFWON: Pride, passion and great supporters! Much like us, I just can't see you guys losing any of that, regardless of performances.

• The Welsh situation has caused a lot of consternation to other fans this summer. Hypothetically if the Irish teams (for example) been involved in this kind of situation, or departed the league, what would your thoughts have been?

Multinational: Why would the Irish leave a league that you already run? Professional game, no loyalty to anyone else, if the Welsh regions benefit from change then run with it. Do you think NZ give a sh*t about SA rugby?

Totally Biased Scarlet: Our argument has never been with the Irish/Scots/Italians. Our argument is with the WRU who consistently put Team Wales first. This to most of us is putting the cart before the horse. The WRU hierarchy seem to think that they can dictate terms to the regions. The regions had to stand up to them or we would have been staring extinction in the face. I personally enjoy the Pro12 despite it's detractors. Given the regional arrangement I think it's a better fit than an Anglo-Welsh. Furthermore I am enthused by the new European qualification rules on the basis that it makes every match vitally important now. If the stakeholders can get their acts together and make sure that competitive sides are put out in ALL matches then we have a very good league on our hands. I'm glad we stuck with it. I'm happy with playing the English clubs in Europe. It's a good mix as far as I'm concerned.

Trident: I think at present that's more of a reflection of our relationship (such as it is) with our governing body (again, such as it is)
Most regional fans recognise that private individuals have done far more just to keep us afloat than our union, who seem determined to at best keep us uncompetitive and at worst starve us out of existence.
While one person is still in office, its difficult to see the right conditions developing to allow the amount of trust required for regions to release control, and the WRU certainly don't want to be funding regional rugby to the extent that the IRFU does.

Totally Biased Scarlet:
We support our teams like we always have. The fact that it's a benefactor backed, club based system is happen-stance and history. Who would a Llanelli RFC fan support under the circumstances? The alternative is a WRU run region much like a West Wales/East Wales representative type of thing. The trouble with this, for most fans of the regions, is that we don't trust the WRU hierarchy. They act in the most opaque fashion, obfuscate and undermine until the cows come home. The whole organisation needs a proper overhaul to make it fit for the modern era.

In the Bath: Good for them! If the IRFU was trying to shut down/strangle the provinces, I'd be supporting them in trying to stay alive. If the Irish negotiated entry into the Aviva Premiership, I'd be horribly jealous.

Gate 12: If the Irish or Scottish has the same issues that we’ve had with their governing body no matter what the implications on us I’d fully understand why they’d gone down that route and I’d be blaming the IRFU or SRU rather than the teams caught up in the sorry mess. I don’t think people outside Wales (or even half of them inside Wales) remotely realise what we’ve been up against.

LWLEW: ANNOYING, DRAGGED ON TOO LONG

• With regard to Simon Easterby - is it really a case of Scarlet's loss is Ireland's gain?

WHY: In answer to the Easterby question we have lost a committed intelligent honest hard working genuine bloke who was a brilliant player for us. He has been in charge for probably some of the most turbulent times the Scarlets had to face and did a reasonable job. Under an experienced coach I think he could be outstanding and one day turn into a great all round coach. So yes he is a big gain for Ireland but as he is Scarlet through and through and I think he could return better and lead us to RCC one day.

Multinational: Time will tell but I think it's an odd recruitment by Ireland. Nothing to suggest Easters is an international standard coach.

Gate 12: Awkward one this, I think he’ll do well with Ireland and it could be a plus for both, Easterby didn’t have the support he needed down here in his first shot at the top job, we were 1 coach short in Easterby’s tenure and I think he’s done a good job in difficult circumstances. We’ve lost Easterby and retained Danny Wilson part-time and recruited and experienced head coach and a defence coach so we’re effectively half a coach up. I think Simon will do well with Ireland where he’s got one area to focus on without all the distractions that come with club rugby.

MRFWON: Only time will tell, but Simon will have experienced personnel around him in the Irish camp. It will be interesting to see how he does for sure, but I'm confident that he'll do extremely well.

LWLEW: WE"LL SEE...

And 2 10 point bonus answers from In the Bath... :cheers:

Why are you all a bunch of utter Gatlands trying to ruin the pro 13 and subsequently the Irish, Scottish and Italian teams by jumping into bed at every moment with those money grabbing sons if bitches in the PRL?

In the Bath: There are probably 2 reasons. The first is that while Roger was trying to strangle us to death and the unions were sticking together, PRL suck by us and strengthened the relationship that we already had. They've helped us survive the war (so far) and have proved good partners (to date).

Secondly, a tie up with PRL and forming a 2 tier British and Irish league would seem to be the logical step to creating a really successful rugby product outside of France. The Pro12 might have been delighted with Guinness and Sky coming on board, but the money in the Pro12 is still very poor compared to the money on offer in England and France.

If you're lucky, we might invite you when we join PRL! >EW

• How long before Gatland is sacked by the WRU?

In the Bath: Giving Gatland a 6 year contract was one of Roger's bonkers ideas. I wouldn't be surprised if it was reactionary due to all the bad press the WRU were getting at the time and they wanted some positive press, but that is getting close to batshit crazy, so I'll leave it there.

I don't think Gatland will sacked (don't think the union can afford it) until there is only a few years left on his contract, so 2018 at best.I don't see him walking away either.

We're going to go out in the group stages of the world cup and by then he'll have had 7.5 years in charge. He's a good coach but things have got stale. Winning once out of close to 25 matches against the old 3N simply isn't good enough,grand slams have masked his deficiencies somewhat.

Again - A MASSIVE thanks to all on both forums who participated. Think it's a great start to the season and the quality of answers speak for themselves. Here's to a great game on Saturday and all the best for the season ahead! >clapping
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Well done chum, you could be responsible for revolutionising relations between Pro12 fans. Lets have pints again sometime when you are back here. :stout: >clapping >clapping >clapping
:lol: we'll see how the relations hold when a few decisions start flying about! thought the biys on Scarlet Fever took to it brilliantly, here's hoping the rest of the p12 can match them...

100% on pints - I'll give you a buzz. :thumleft:

offline now until post-match....SUFTUM! :fleg:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: UAFC Ask the Opposition - Scarlets - ANSWERS Pg5

Post by Russ »

A few good eggs there Loki

Some with the Scaalet tints on, but good work none the less
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Excellent work Loki ... good read.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Well done Loki. Do Zebre have a fans forum for the next game?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Good read there Loki and good idea as well.
Interesting that the biggest problem they seem to have with WRU is that they put Wales first, sounds familiar but we just get on with it and realise who pays most of the bills
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Rooster wrote:Good read there Loki and good idea as well.
Interesting that the biggest problem they seem to have with WRU is that they put Wales first, sounds familiar but we just get on with it and realise who pays most of the bills
Yeah good point, there is no real ideal situation, D4 pulling the strings can throw up some real WTF moments ... but I'd much rather have our set up than the Welsh one.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

mikerob wrote:Well done Loki. Do Zebre have a fans forum for the next game?
At least we'll not a translator for that one mun, isn't it!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Hooker
Novice

Post by Hooker »

"In the Bath: There are probably 2 reasons. The first is that while Roger was trying to strangle us to death and the unions were sticking together, PRL suck by us and strengthened the relationship that we already had. They've helped us survive the war (so far) and have proved good partners (to date).

Secondly, a tie up with PRL and forming a 2 tier British and Irish league would seem to be the logical step to creating a really successful rugby product outside of France. The Pro12 might have been delighted with Guinness and Sky coming on board, but the money in the Pro12 is still very poor compared to the money on offer in England and France. "

So the view from someone who knows, inside the tent, as opposed to you lot outside pishing in, was that overall the PRL were helpful.

Well, well!
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Hooker wrote:"In the Bath: There are probably 2 reasons. The first is that while Roger was trying to strangle us to death and the unions were sticking together, PRL suck by us and strengthened the relationship that we already had. They've helped us survive the war (so far) and have proved good partners (to date).

Secondly, a tie up with PRL and forming a 2 tier British and Irish league would seem to be the logical step to creating a really successful rugby product outside of France. The Pro12 might have been delighted with Guinness and Sky coming on board, but the money in the Pro12 is still very poor compared to the money on offer in England and France. "

So the view from someone who knows, inside the tent, as opposed to you lot outside pishing in, was that overall the PRL were helpful.

Well, well!

This guy is not "inside the tent." He's a Welsh fan, with the same info as us, reading it from a different angle - which happens to be the wrong angle.

From your posts so far I can't tell if you're an idiot, a gobshite or just a wind-up merchant - but in any case, you're not adding anything.
It's the hope that kills you.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

OK own up .... who starting pashing into his tent all over his cornflakes .... there's always someone who takes it too far ... who done it??????
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Rory have you ever considered the possibility that through a bad hand dealt by nature and the compound effects on DNA through polution he might be actually be an idiot wind up gobshite ... ? The Holy Trinity of Internet Bacteria!
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Oi Loki, top work there cub.

A different angle & a breath of fresh air @ these walls......
>clapping
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand