NEW BOSS

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: NEW BOSS

Post by cables »

And the winner is!

LKOTP
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Glynncommando wrote:
brianc wrote: .....they have decided he lied at CV/interview stage. ....
Just to clarify, then....IF he (or someone else?) lied in relation to the CV....that would be ok with you, then.
GC, no absolutely not OK. Why do you ask, do you KNOW of someone who did this?
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

brianc wrote:
Glynncommando wrote:
brianc wrote: .....they have decided he lied at CV/interview stage. ....
Just to clarify, then....IF he (or someone else?) lied in relation to the CV....that would be ok with you, then.
GC, no absolutely not OK. Why do you ask, do you KNOW of someone who did this?

forum/viewtopic.php?p=195682#p195682 :scratch:
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

cables wrote:
I want someone there that is directly accountable for what happens
Who would the person be accountable to?
To the fans, just like a CEO of a PLC is accountable to the shareholders.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

President elected for 2 year term with 2nd year as IPP.
a bit naughty Mr C.........you know what i mean.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Lurgan Lad wrote:
cables wrote:
I want someone there that is directly accountable for what happens
Who would the person be accountable to?
To the fans, just like a CEO of a PLC is accountable to the shareholders.
:roll:
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

let's not get side-tracked here - committees may be an ok way to arrange a village fete, but they're a completely (and demostrably) sh1t way to run a business
Are the banks run by committee?
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

browner wrote:
let's not get side-tracked here - committees may be an ok way to arrange a village fete, but they're a completely (and demostrably) sh1t way to run a business
no - they're run by governments!! :D
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

darkside lightside wrote:
browner wrote:
no - they're run by governments!! :D
I was about to reply " overpaid assholes that have complete disregard for others money as long as they can get a huge bonus every year" but I suppose thats not much different than governments :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

browner wrote:Are the banks run by committee?
The Bank of England is.

Did you know that just this year some are initially appointed for different durations so as to stagger end dates and help ensure continuity?

Mind you, some have been in their current position from 2003 and "Date of first appointment in current position" could well hide the fact that they also have been around for a long time.

Is the continuity BB craves justified by reference to the BOE in recent years?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cables wrote:
browner wrote:Are the banks run by committee?
The Bank of England is.

Did you know that just this year some are initially appointed for different durations so as to stagger end dates and help ensure continuity?

Mind you, some have been in their current position from 2003 and "Date of first appointment in current position" could well hide the fact that they also have been around for a long time.

Is the continuity BB craves justified by reference to the BOE in recent years?
The Bank of England is classed as a Non-departmental public body and as thus the maximum number of terms a board member can hold is 3 x 3 year terms unless they get parlimentary exemption in very exceptional circumstances to extend the time by a maximum of 1 extra term.
They can be appointed for anything from 1 to 4 years for first appointment so as to keep continuity in the relevant board thus the maximum you can be appointed for is 13 years, but you may also be resrticted to 2 terms to keep continuity as well. I know as been there and got the tee shirt.

Tony and Gordon may have changed the rules though in the past couple of years.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Was it not a "Blazer" (the blessed Syd Millar?) who when the game went professional realised that Irish rugby would be screwed unless the players were centrally contracted to the Union?
The IRFU blazers, including the blessed Syd, had their eyes and ears closed in the years leading up to professionalism and when questioned about going pro, their view was "la, la, la, la... can't hear you... it will never happen..." Until it did.

So when it did, the IRFU was totally unprepared in terms of the structure of the professional game, and they didn't even have standard contracts to sign up players, so there was a mass exodus to England, including Paddy Johns to Sarries, Jonny Bell to Saints, Hump to London Irish.

In fairness, they did begin to get their act together after a few years and bringing the players back home was the right thing to do. So I'd say in comparison with the SRU and WRU, the IRFU ended up doing a decent job.

I wouldn't describe their approach as "masterful". The IRFU were shocked into action by the players leaving Ireland, and were lucky that Ireland already had the provincial structure to support the pro game below the international level. The Welsh club structure just didn't work for the pro game, it took years of infighting to come up with regions and these still aren't that well established.

Fanning's book "From There To Here" provides a good story about the IRFU journey to professionalism - from denial to shock to panic to some sort of plan.

However just because the IRFU blazers have done OK (eventually), this doesn't mean that the UB blazers have been competent.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Agreed Mike, I think that Ireland has ended up with a system that is pretty enviable, on the pitch at any rate - our players don't seem to be over-played, conditioning is good, young guys seem to be bleeding through fairly regularly, 2 of the 4 provinces at least seem to be going from strength to strength, on and off the pitch, and the national team is performing well

I wonder how much is luck and how much judgement? I can't help but feel that we were lucky to have 4 existing ready-made clubs - rather than go through the acrimony that the Welsh had to to 'create' provinces, can you imagine the massive s###-storms that would have kicked off in Ireland if for whatever reason some provinces had had to be split up or merged???

Having landed on a fairly good set-up, in terms of relationships between club and national side, and academies - the next step is to start making these clubs work off the pitch. Leinster and Munster appear to be doing that - I know very little about how they are run, so have no idea how profitable or sustainable their businesses are - and we need to as well. Thus the importance of getting the right dude at the top...

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

I should also say that I'm not saying everything is perfect - more needs to be done, I'm thinking specifically of growing player numbers, and widening schools rugby beyond traditional rugby-playing schools

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote: Main point I was making is that a bit of balance is necessary when considering these things. Think it was Cables pointed out the "shareholder" is the IRFU so to expect a purely "business" UR is not going to happen. Why? Because the IRFU itself isn't structured that way. On the other hand, the pure Sports Franchise model which exists in England in the form of the GP hasn't exactly been good for the national game there.
True... but if you take a charity as model, there is a board of trustees who are the governing body, the CEO reports to them, and the trustees have statutory responsbilities for the wellbeing of the charity. The constitution of the charity usually defines how trustees are appointed. Even if the UB adopted that model, there would be more transparency and accountability than at the moment.