Ronnie Lamont

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

girwin90
Novice

Ronnie Lamont

Post by girwin90 »

I don't know much about him as a rugby player but he was my primary school principal at Springhill Primary school in Belfast. I got to play him in the school play he was retiring, I remember shaking his hand and his hand was like a baseball mit. He put the fear off god into everyone but he was a fair man and a nice man (I was told by my parents). I know he played for Ireland + the Lions which I wish I had knew at the time. Does anyone know what he was is up to now?
Owner of Talking Rugby Union - http://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk
bazzaj

Re: Ronnie Lamont

Post by bazzaj »

If you read Willie Johns autobiography he talks about Ronnie at length, including a great anicdote about how he leveled legendary All Black Kell Tremain in the Kick off in the first test for the Lions in 1966.
Last I heard he had tremendous back difficulties related to the injury which retired him from rugby.
I think he was a headmaster in a school somewhere in the country but I could be wrong.
A true Irish legend the man was as hard as nails.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Might have been Springhill Primary Bazzaj;-)
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

girwin90 wrote:I know he played for Ireland + the Lions which I wish I had knew at the time.
Maybe if he'd concentrated less on rugby and more on teaching English ... ;)
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
cbusbyni
Novice

Ronnie Lamont

Post by cbusbyni »

Might be able to help out here! A real gent of a guy, comes to the over 50's club at the leisure centre I work at in Ballyclare every Mon and Thurs.

As far as I can make out he has little involvement in rugby aside from watching Bclare every Saturday.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

The following is from the Newtownabbey Sporting Hall of Fame:
In 1967 the Rugby Almanac of New Zealand selected Ronnie Lamont as one of their five players of the year. This achievement took into account playing abilities, leadership, conduct, sportsmanship and services to the game in general. During his career, Ronnie accumulated 16 test caps and was a vital player during the British Lions tour of New Zealand in 1966.

In 1970 after years of traveling and playing rugby all over the world, Ronnie saw the need to introduce rugby into primary schools and with the help of Willie Gribbon, mini rugby was established - a game that is still thriving today.
I certainly didn't know that, but it appears Ronnie was not only a superb back-row player who's career was ruined by injuries but also was instrumental in setting up mini rugby in Ulster.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

BR wrote:
girwin90 wrote:I know he played for Ireland + the Lions which I wish I had knew at the time.
Maybe if he'd concentrated less on rugby and more on teaching English ... ;)
:lol:
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

ColinM wrote:Might have been Springhill Primary Bazzaj;-)
Good point Colinm.
I should really learn how to read some time.
All the clues were there.
Antrim Hills
Novice

Post by Antrim Hills »

cbusbyni wrote:.................As far as I can make out he has little involvement in rugby aside from watching Bclare every Saturday.
No doubt some of the more cruel among you might claim that watching Ballyclare is the very definition of "little involvement in Rugby", but our skins are thick, and, if you peep at the top of QL2 these days, there's maybe signs of a revival.

But back to the point, Ronnie Lamont has made a huge contribution down the years at Ballyclare, let alone his contributions elsewhere. Came to 'Clare after he'd badly injured his shoulder/arm on tour in NZ, such that he had no feeling in his upper arm. I was told by another Lion that they did a party-trick sticking a needle into Ronnie, who never flinched, thereby adding to his aura as a hard case.

All that's said here to-date is true, he's a gem.

The only flaw I can find in him is that he's one of the "Master Race", as they're known.
All I'll say is that, if all Instonians were like Ronnie, they'd be in danger of being liked !! :stir:
"Everything has its limit – iron ore cannot be educated into gold." - Mark Twain
girwin90
Novice

Post by girwin90 »

Haha, English has never been my strongest point!
Owner of Talking Rugby Union - http://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk
tighthead3
Novice

Post by tighthead3 »

Had to resuscitate this thread as a fellow Springhill alum who got the tail end of big Ronnie's time in the school.

Mountain and a gentleman, remember him fondly despite his attempts to send all the boys at the school to RBAI.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Resurrecting this to laet people know Ronnie passed away just before Christmas. A Lion, a gent and the man who brought mini rugby to Ireland.

Thoughts with the wider Lamont family
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Hi NonP

See thread "and today joining the underground"
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Ta... Dont oft go digging in the bowels here. Hapoy tonsee the recognition
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ronnie went to Stan and played for Kings Scholars a junior league side when they owned the pitches at Shaws bridge .

In the late 60s lads coming out from school ceased going to Stan opting for Queens or Universitys on the main land and Scholars ceased to exist couldn't field one team never mind two .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist