Signings: O'Connor & Herring Confimed

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

trewbear
Novice

Re: Signings: O'Connor & Herring Confimed

Post by trewbear »

Two seasons ago we beat bath away and just missed out on quarter final qualification.

we then improved the team

one season ago we reached HC quarter final

last season we got to the HC final

While I will always support the boys in white I think (unless something dramatic happens) we have not improved this summer and we will not qualify for HC quarter finals next season with an inexperienced/average no 10.

:red:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

ronk wrote:IRFU would allow a NIQ outhalf as Munster and Leinster don't have one. There's one more slot available still, so we could sign one if we really wanted one.
SLogan stated at URSC meeting a couple of weeks ago that IRFU would NOT allow ANY of the provinces to bring in a non-Irish qualified 10. Definite no-no!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
SDK
Novice

Post by SDK »

We were not allowed to sign a NIQ out half. Doesn't mention the length of contract for either
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Quite correct Cap'n
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

trewbear wrote:Two seasons ago we beat bath away and just missed out on quarter final qualification.
And unless I had even more beer than I thought I had consumed NOC was playing 10 that day :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

With 4 hookers on the books it may be a swan song year for Nigel at 34 with out regular rugby at the highest level he could lose fitness quickly.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Mac wrote:The important factor here is that Herring is IQ.

Apart from that no surprises. I see the checkpoints
at the border crossings were to no avail. Who fell
asleep?

Anyway we now have two new Ulsterman and as
a fan both will get my full support. :red:
Maybe the same guys that were asked to to look after the two big shirts
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
pg106
Initiate

Post by pg106 »

trewbear wrote:Two seasons ago we beat bath away and just missed out on quarter final qualification.

one season ago we reached HC quarter final

last season we got to the HC final

While I will always support the boys in white I think (unless something dramatic happens) we have not improved this summer and we will not qualify for HC quarter finals next season with an inexperienced/average no 10.

:red:
Personally, I think what you are saying regarding the squad for the incoming season is wrong. The addition of one of the best wings in world rugby in Bowe as well as the return of Jared Payne will strengthen the attacking threat that Ulster's back 3 pose. Also, in losing Pedrie and mad Willie and replacing with RW and Botes (?), I believe we have gained more strength and quality in the back row. Rob Herring looks like a fine prospect as well. Whilst we look a bit light at 10, I believe that it is to early to comment on this, wait until we see if another player is brought in as has been stated in the transfer rumours.

Overall I think the squad is taking another step in the right direction this year, with quality players coming through with the likes of Iain Henderson combined with quality experienced players I believe the squad is in a good place to take up where they left off and improve as the season goes on.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

rumncoke wrote:With 4 hookers on the books it may be a swan song year for Nigel at 34 with out regular rugby at the highest level he could lose fitness quickly.
Would think Nigel will still be number 2 till the others prove themselves
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:Would think Nigel will still be number 2 till the others prove themselves
Number 16 surely? :wink: (except when Rory's resting or away wi Ireland)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

ardsrugbyards wrote:if DH sees something in NOC that the rest of us don't i will be prepared to give him another chance to prove himself, many on here where unhappy with both NOC and IH at a time and it was said many times if both their strong points where put together we would have a cracking player as what one lacked the other excelled in, so GIVE NOC A CHANCE.
In what does NOC excel or in fact even come near average AIL standard? He can't run a backline, he can't tackle and his kicking is crud 75% of the time. It's a bizarre and awful signing. He is good at golf though.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Did O'Connor not fracture his skull out West after a clash of heads that meant he was out for most of last season allowing Nikora to have the 10 shirt?
Husky
Novice

Post by Husky »

Well I just can't wait to see these significant improvements that NOC has acquired over the last season. Unless Elwood oversaw a rugby brain transplant, I fear we're going to witness the same old horror show moments that we thought were consigned to history. No doubt someone will berate me for not writing some platitude regarding his return, but the thing is, NOC already has a half-century of caps for Ulster, the memories of which play like a bloopers reel. BML gave him ample opportunity to make the 10 shirt his own, but with his limited ability, he was incapable of doing so. One thing in particular that irked me the last time he was here, was that he seemed more interested in perfecting his golfing game than his rugby game. I hope he has a more professional attitude this time round, because if he could adopt Jonny Wilkinson's attitude, and perfect his kicking game and tackling, he would make a decent back-up.
“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Same old...same old from Husky.........
Husky
Novice

Post by Husky »

Snipe Watson wrote:Same old...same old from Husky.........
Just knew you'd be the first.
“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”