What the Papers Say 2012/2013

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: What the Papers Say 2012-13

Post by Cornerfleg »

OneMore wrote:
ColinM wrote: And say what you like about Williams' fitness, he did a lot of work on Friday night, a lot of carries and went into a lot of contact. Almost to the point of being slightly predictable - if you had the ball at the base of the ruck and didn't know what to do, you gave it to Nick and worked out the rest in a bit.

Indeed - Fat Nick really looks a serious weapon, predictable at the minute maybe ... not sure. Dont forget he can offload as well - but bring back 1F and get St P at the base of a ruck and we have options now, real options - how many players will Fat Nick tie up whether he gets the ball or not - if Fez gets a yard more space happy days - and if Ruan employs the miss NOC pass we could score a few tries out wide as the likes of Big John, TC, Fez, Touhy and Fat Nick paint targets and switch on wee red lights on the close in defence.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I reckon Lewis made as many yards as Fat Nick last week.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

I was having a chat about this recently, and really reckon players like fat Nick are going to be massively important when and if the new rules about the base of the ruck come in. When time is limited having players that can hit round the fringes, make a yard or two, then safely present the ball will effectively double the time available to organise the line. That yard he always seems to be able to make (should say at least a yard!) keeps you on the front foot and attacking.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Would agree Rooster, think he really laid down a physical marker to Touhy last weekend and would expect more of the same again this week. He has developed his game quite nicely from someone who you could see hitting plenty of rucks and mauls to a player who whilst not negating the physical side of things is also happy to have the ball in his hands and make the hard yards.

The issue with Ferris is that his knees are clearly not 100%, or even a number remotely close to 100%. Therefore his exposure IMO should be a strictly balanced between getting/keeping him match fit whilst minimising the unnecessary time he spends on the pitch i.e. the Rabo games. It is not a because he is any more likely to pick up injuries playing Rabo than HEC, injuries are ultimately bad luck and no more likely/unlikely to happen in one game or another but if Ferris plays in 30 games versus 20 over the course of a season there is a clear 33% increased chance of injury.

The priorities for Ferris from a Team Ireland perspective is Ireland, Ulster HEC and Ulster Rabo in that particular order. Fitness permitting he'll probably play at least 8 games for Ireland this season, a minimum of 6 HEC games...ideally 9 :wink: , and has a Lions tour as well. I have said previously and will say so again I would be surprised if we see Ferris featuring in more than 320minutes of Ulster's regular Rabo season provided we progress out of the HEC group. I think we'll see him against Munster and Zebre of the bench, full game Cardiff and 60-70 minutes against Connacht before going into the HEC, after that he'll be away with Ireland, back for the HEC and then pretty much away with Ireland again after the group stages of the HEC.

It is also not something I'd have been as worried about as last season. Without Ferris we were down to two half-carriers in Henry and Wannenburg with neither being particularly devastating with te ball in hand- the addition of Williams and Wilson along with a turnaround in Diack's physicality means we really should be able to cope in the Rabo without him.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

BuckRogers wrote:...if Ferris plays in 30 games versus 20 over the course of a season there is a clear 33% increased chance of injury.
Or maybe even 50%.
Deckard
Novice

Post by Deckard »

mikerob wrote:Yeah, I think Ulster need to be smart how they use Williams. If the default play becomes "give it to Nick" then Ulster will be very predictable. Yeah, he is hard to stop, but that means people will be looking to take him round the ankles, double team him etc. so Ulster need to be getting people in place for offloads, using him as a dummy runner and the like.
I agree, the good thing is that he is a good offloader, so he can certainly deliver if we can get runners on his shoulder. I reckon he would be a great dummy runner as well, I imagine from the point of view of the defensive line, he is so hugely broad that he will loom large in their attention, and will be hard to ignore even if you reckon he's on a decoy line
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

OneMore wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:...if Ferris plays in 30 games versus 20 over the course of a season there is a clear 33% increased chance of injury.
Or maybe even 50%.
:duh:
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

4th Sept 2012

Ruan who?
Ruan set for a run at No 9
Perth - Tiaan Liebenberg could make his first Test start for the Springboks, while coach Heyneke Meyer is strongly considering moving Francois Hougaard to wing and bringing Ruan Pienaar into the starting line-up at scrumhalf.

Hooker and current vice-captain Adriaan Strauss is battling with his knee ligament injury ahead of Saturday’s Rugby Championship clash against Australia at the Patersons Stadium, which will also double as a Nelson Mandela Challenge Plate game.

While Meyer is hopeful that the Cheetahs skipper would be able to play, he says that Strauss has a “50-50” chance. Team doctor Craig Roberts said at a media briefing at the team hotel on Monday that the 26-year-old will undergo a series of tests this week.
“Adriaan Strauss has a mild knee ligament strain. We will assess him again later in the week, and we will make a decision on his availability, depending on how he goes through training in the next couple of days. But apart from that, we’ve got a fit squad and are ready to go,” Roberts said.
“He needs to run tomorrow, and that will be the first step. There’s a step-wise programme that we run, and he needs to get through each day. The first day on Wednesday is the straight-line running, and if he is comfortable with that, we will progress him and make the call later in the week.”

Meyer tried to be positive about the situation, which would be a massive blow to the Boks’ chances of winning on Saturday as they are already missing Bismarck du Plessis and Chiliboy Ralepelle at No 2. “We’ve got a very good medical team, and I’m positive that we will get him through! I was very happy with Bissie and the way he progressed as a leader - I actually see him as a future Springbok captain as well. And then Adriaan is also a great leader who has just come through,” the Bok coach said.
“If you look at our pack, there are a lot of guys who hasn’t been in a leadership role, who hasn’t been the captain of their franchise or province. With Pierre (Spies) out as well, it would be a huge setback if Adriaan can’t play. But hopefully he will be fit. There is a 50-50 chance of him playing.”

But with a Stormers lock pairing of Eben Etzebeth and Andries Bekker, Liebenberg shouldn’t have too many problems throwing into the lineouts. It is rather about whether he can be as effective a ball-carrier as Du Plessis and Strauss, while he also needs to chip in at the breakdowns. Sharks back-up hooker Craig Burden will then come on to the bench.

“It would be a huge test for Tiaan, especially away from home. But I thought that he did well. I wanted to give him more gametime in the previous Test, but again, it was such a tight Test match, and Adriaan was the vice-captain.
“Tiaan is a guy I have a lot of trust in, and I want to give him more gametime this week,” Meyer said.
“It usually makes it easier (having franchise teammates), and Duane (Vermeulen) is a guy who is also close to (making) the team.
“So, those are three guys Tiaan is used to, and he has proven himself at Super Rugby level. His set pieces are good. This is a step up for him, but he is an experienced campaigner, and I am looking forward to seeing him play if he gets the chance.”

Hougaard has been under pressure at halfback as Meyer tries to turn him into a Fourie du Preez clone instead of letting him play his natural game. But after the disappointing 16-16 draw against Argentina in Mendoza, the Bok coach has finally changed his mindset by looking at Pienaar, who is better suited to the current gameplan, which places a huge emphasis on tactical kicking.
Hougaard revels in space, and he could make a big impact at left wing. Sharks star Lwazi Mvovo would be desperately unlucky to have to make way, though, as he has looked sharp every time he has had the ball in his hands.
“That (Hougaard at wing and Pienaar at scrumhalf) is an option. I always said that we have a horses-for-courses attitude, so we’ve studied Australia. They are a quality side, and Hougie gives you something different on the wing. We’ve got a lot of injuries there at the moment,” said the Bok mentor.
“Ruan’s a little more experienced, he’s got a brilliant kicking game, and he can give us more stability and take the pressure off Morne (Steyn). So, I won’t say that it’s a definite, but we are looking at that option as well.”
The Boks did not train yesterday, and only had a gym session, as a big storm brought heavy rain and strong winds to Perth. Bath loose forward Francois Louw eventually arrived from England on Monday, and he will want to impress Meyer in the first practice of the week on Tuesday.
Meyer said that he was toying with the idea of a 5-2 bench split, but was also weighing up whether to hand a Test debut to Cheetahs youngster Johan Goosen.

Cape Times
http://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/spring ... -1.1375750
Cape Town – For how much longer should Ruan Pienaar be curtailed to the role of Springbok “supersub”?
It is a question likely to be weighing as much on the mind of coach Heyneke Meyer and his lieutenants as it doubtless is already for plenty of observers.
The Ulster-based Pienaar, a former Sharks favourite, has been a patient but also highly effective substitute in all Bok Tests thus far in 2012.
Scrumhalf tends to be a position occupied by a livewire athlete, one often less likely than others to see the incumbent hauled off well before the end of matches if things are going suitably well for him.
Perhaps tellingly, however, Pienaar has been introduced with at least 20 minutes to go – and occasionally a fair bit more – in all four matches, including the trio against England.
The trick was duly repeated in the latest instance on Saturday, when Pienaar got another “last quarter” in the moderately satisfying triumph over Argentina in the Castle Rugby Championship, at the usual expense of first-choice Francois Hougaard.
The last-named player did get to see out the fixture at wing, a position where he has often been at his most incisive for his country before – and arguably was so again.
Hougaard is a naturally slippery, electric runner and there is a mounting case for saying he demonstrates it best when there is a bit more space available in raids from the back of the park.
Indeed, with the mercurial, in-form JP Pietersen inconveniently absent for the first two-thirds or so of this tournament, perhaps Hougaard is as equipped as anybody to show some alternative X-factor from out wide in broken-play situations.
Consideration of Hougaard for a wing berth, in the immediate follow-up game against the Pumas in Mendoza on Saturday, could lead to a win-win situation for both current rival No 9s, opening up a rather obvious gap for Pienaar to try to raise the bar for the Boks as starting scrumhalf.
Frankly, Hougaard has under-delivered there this year, even if his broad talent and supreme tenacity as a rugby player is hardly in doubt.
He struggles to genuinely take command of games at scrumhalf in the manner his legendary Bulls predecessor Fourie du Preez once did, with his tactical kicking aspect remaining unremarkable and his passing sometimes overly laboured.
Pienaar, who has been getting such rave reviews in Ireland and wider European competition since his switch to northern climes, just seems so much more “natural” in the slot of late.
Isn’t that an important consideration in a team currently, let’s face it, not massively renowned for cutting-edge backline play?
He is in the prime of his pro rugby life, at the age of 28 and with 55 international caps to his name, only bearing out his wisdom.
Hougaard is four years his junior and still has time on his side to iron out certain rough edges to his No 9 game -- unless his admirably versatile credentials do yet lead to his more regular stationing at wing.
Right now, he is not quite the Full Monty at Test scrumhalf.
Ruan Pienaar warrants an opportunity to wear a certain, single-figure number on his back for a change, doesn’t he?
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyCha ... r-20120820

.........and the penny dropped! .........or has it?
Irish making eyes at SA youngsters
Amid the hullabaloo of the Springboks’ game plan, or lack thereof depending who was speaking, the Golden Lions Rugby Union saga and the entertainment of the Currie Cup, it’s gone unnoticed that two promising South Africans could play against the Boks in November.

Last month former Western Province and Stormers No 8 Robbie Diack became an Irish citizen after completing a three-year residency while playing for Ulster.

And a week before the Boks meet Ireland at the Aviva Stadium on November 10, Leinster hooker Richardt Strauss will complete his residency and become eligible for the emerald greens in time to face the Boks.

It could see the unusual situation of cousins Richardt and Adriaan directly opposing each other in a Test match. I suspect that’s not the way they imagined it when they horsed around in their Bloemfontein backyards as children. I’m sure the dreams then were of both wearing the bottle green of the Boks.

But it’s the nature of professionalism and if nothing else, the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) is cleverly plotting for the future by poaching promising players from around the world, but particularly South Africa, to fill voids in certain positions.

In the space of a week in June various Irish clubs announced the signings of three South African players – not unusual you might say – until you realise that they’re all under 23, they’re also all uncapped by the Springboks, and it’s three years before the next World Cup. It’s called forward planning by the IRFU.

In June promising 21-year-old Stormers lock Quinn Roux signed a one-year deal with Leinster only a week after former SA under-20 captain CJ Stander completed a two-year deal with Munster.

That same week the Stormers also confirmed that wing Danie Poolman was on his way to Connacht to complete a trio of quality signings for the Irish in less than seven days.

Sure, none of those players are contracted for three years, but it gives both the players and the club scope to assess the other before committing for the desired three-years.

Roux could be a big loss because he’s been spoken about in the same breath as Eben Etzebeth while Stander is arguably the best Bulls looseforward in the Currie Cup. Poolman has never set the world alight but he does have promise and regular game time in a top league could see him blossom.

There is another reason the Irish are recruiting uncapped players as well – because of a change of policy by the IRFU.

As from the 2013/14-season Ireland’s big three provinces – Ulster, Munster and Leinster – can only field one foreign player per position across the three unions. For instance, if Ulster pick Springbok scrumhalf Ruan Pienaar, then Munster and Leinster have to field an Irish halfback. Connacht, as the weakest province, is exempt from this rule for now.

The idea is that the three provinces can recruit foreigners, but will have to agree to sign players in different positions so they don’t overlap. In the short-term it will hurt, but if the Irish provinces sign cleverly, they can circumnavigate the rule in the medium term by qualifying several youngsters as Irish citizens.

Friendly Foreigners
There have always been players who will slip through the cracks and there have been isolated cases of South African players making their Test careers elsewhere such as Clyde Rathbone (Australia), Brian Liebenberg (France) and Pieter de Villiers (France). But this is more serious because it’s a concerted, systematic, albeit unofficial poaching programme in place by the IRFU.

For now the trickle of promising, but as yet, unproven South African youngsters to Ireland is not a crisis. But this could be the start of a deluge with the likes of Diack and more realistically Strauss pioneering a path to Test rugby that was blocked back home.

We don’t mind seeing some of our talented, capped Boks heading off to the northern hemisphere for a lucrative payday, but how will me feel about our raw talent disappearing in greater numbers?
http://www.arenasport.co.za/2012/09/03/ ... oungsters/
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wed 5th Sept 2012

Very little moving apart from the usual
regurgitated squad news for the weekend.

Probably looking at a Hairsprays backlash though....
Ospreys coach Gruff Rees demands control of emotions against Ulster
Ospreys coach Gruff Rees has called for a cold and calculated display from the region to get their Pro12 season back on track.

Indiscipline and wasted chances cost the Ospreys dearly against Treviso last weekend as they suffered their first-ever defeat to an Italian region. The opening weekend defeat was the worst possible start to their defence of the Pro12 title and they face a difficult clash with last season’s Heineken Cup finalists Ulster at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.
Rees said the Ospreys management team have stressed the importance of discipline this week following Ian Evans’ first-half red card against Treviso.

With Ulster having produced an impressive performance in their season opener against Glasgow Warriors the Ospreys have been told they must become more clinical if they are to beat the much-fancied Irish province.
Rees insisted he is happy with the firepower the Ospreys have at their disposal in spite of the loss of the likes of Shane Williams and Tommy Bowe admits they must iron out their deficiencies.
Full article
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynatio ... -31767688/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wed 5th Sept 2012

Ian Evans disciplinary hearing in Edinburgh tomorrow
as a result is his indescrition last weekend.
THE Ospreys have told their players to ‘cool it’ after the indiscipline that blighted the region’s opening game of the Pro12 season.
Ian Evans is booked for a disciplinary hearing in Edinburgh tomorrow afternoon in the wake of being sent off against Treviso at the Monigo Stadium.
Two yellow cards in the opening 32 minutes did for the Wales second row in Italy — the first for a professional foul, the second for a high tackle. But he wasn’t alone in stepping out of line as the champions handed Treviso full-back Kris Burton five penalty shots in the first half alone.
The Ospreys’ coaches were less than impressed and have urged their players to avoid incurring the wrath of the officials in the game with Ulster at the Liberty on Saturday evening.
The Ospreys will hope the independent disciplinary panel rules Evans’s sending off to be sufficient punishment.
The hearing will be chaired by John Kirk, with fellow Scot Paul Minto and Dr Barry O’Driscoll, of Ireland, making up the committee.
Full article at
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Ospre ... story.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thurs 6th Sept 2012

Johann Muller gives us his thoughts on the weekend match.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10726.php
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19496388

Our dismal run in Wales last year.
•Ospreys 32 - 14 Ulster
•Dragons 22 - 9 Ulster
•Scarlets 24 - 14 Ulster
•Cardiff Blues 21 - 14 Ulster
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thur 6th Sept contd.

Newsletter
The "newbie", Mr. Herring settles in.
Herring will face the Ospreys on Saturday at the Liberty Stadium and he isn’t daunted by the task.

“For me I just take each game as it comes, they are the defending champions and they are going to be up for it after last week’s lost but you just have to meet them physically and take the game to them.”
Full Article
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-4225592
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thur 6th Sept 2012

Newsletter
Anscombe explained why he had to withdraw out half Paddy Jackson after only 10 minutes.

He took a knock to the calf and it is quite tight at the moment so he just couldn't free it up.

It was affecting his running and the wise decision was to come off.
Full story
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-4225944

TELE
Tyrone has his say.
Achievements abounded for Brian McLaughlin, whose place is secure in Ulster rugby history and hearts based on the fact that he succeeded where many others before him failed and his grace during difficult times.

However, I believe that there are plenty of reasons why Anscombe (pictured) can be successful.

Firstly, if anyone can make it work, a Kiwi can. Steeped in rugby culture Anscombe will undoubtedly have an innate appreciation and understanding of the game.

Arguably more important, he has also inherited an exceptionally talented group of players — the strongest Ulster squad of the professional era.

Anscombe’s stated aim is consistency. It seems that this word is mentioned each season, but has remained frustratingly elusive for all his predecessors, McLaughlin included. Yet, it may truly be within reach.
Full story
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 07022.html

More from Tyrone.....
Last season, supporters could forgive the players that as, for us, European rugby was the priority. But, as ever, each season the bar gets lifted higher and our expectations bear a direct correlation. The prerequisite in order to compete on both fronts is a large and quality resource of players.

Like football, the market for overseas players gets more and more competitive, so your home-grown conveyor belt of talent becomes ever more important.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 07028.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

6th Sept Contd

Johann on the weekend match, a warning to supporters, returning stars and injuries.
Captain Johann Muller has issued a two-part warning to Ulster supporters ahead of Saturday night’s RaboDirect PRO12 date with defending champions Ospreys (6.30pm).

Don’t expect miracles from back-in-the-squad Irish internationals Stephen Ferris and Andrew Trimble, but do expect Ospreys to come out breathing fire
So even with Ferris and Trimble in the panel for the first time this term — both are likely to play some part, probably from the bench — Muller is urging his team-mates to be wary.

“Obviously it’s great to have those guys back, but they haven’t played any rugby for quite a while so it’s not going to be easy for them just to step straight back into it,” was Muller’s view of having the Irish international pair in the mix.

“As a squad and as a team, though, we’re really excited to have them back. And as well as bringing quality and experience, they are hungry to play again.
he called on Ulster’s supporters not to be unrealistic in their expectations of the pair and asked them to be mindful of the champions’ pedigree.

The skipper also was upbeat about the prospects of fly-half Paddy Jackson and No 8 Nicky Williams being available.

Jackson limped off with a calf injury after just 10 minutes of last Friday night’s win over Glasgow, while Williams suffered a dead leg. They were the most serious concerns on a night of bumps and bruises.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 07031.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

6th Sept contd

Ruan relishing Bok start
Ruan Pienaar is relishing his recall to South Africa’s starting XV and is looking forward to matching his skills against Australia’s Will Genia when the two teams clash in a Rugby Championship match in Perth on Saturday.

“I’m excited because it’s been a while since I started a Test at nine. I have had a few games off the bench but you need a different mindset but I’m really looking forward to the chance to start a Test,” he said.

The 28-year-old Pienaar will by playing in his 57th Test on Saturday which makes him the third most experienced member of the team behind Jean de Villiers and Bryan Habana.
Full story
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyCha ... t-20120906
Image Image