Montpellier vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Montpellier vs Ulster

Post by Kofi Annan »

:fleg: SDLP voters will be happy, :roll:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Tut tut, LK!!! >sniper
Bo***cks to Brexit
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

The dust has settled. Ulster had a fantastic win in Montpellier. The team played superbly and totally deserved the victory. I am just bringing up this one little point out of interest to see what others may think. It makes no difference one way or another at this stage. Has anyone thought there was the merest hint of a suggestion of the posibility of a forward inside pass from the Rev to Tommy before he took the return pass for the score? This issue was not raised by the ref, Montpellier or anyone else, so presumably everyone is happy with the outcome. It does not matter a rodent's botty now in any case. Just curious.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:
interlooter wrote:161

great picture in the aftermath of victory :salut:
Ruan leading the ovation and some interesting reactions from around the room - darren and BBJ caught my eye.
any idea what was going on?
is it a saffa thing?
No it's not a Saffa anything, ulster tradition probably older than some posters :roll:
Paaaaaaaaaaaaah, ballix Kofi, sounds like a bucket of shyte to me. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:Keeping the red hand flying high...hope that isn't too distasteful for some. :red: :red: :fleg: :fleg:
Catch a grip.

Who has ever found the red hand distasteful on this forum? :roll: :scratch:
I find a commie party tune distasteful, if that helps? :lol:
Come the revolution I'll have you shot comrade. >sniper
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Spiffsson wrote:The dust has settled. Ulster had a fantastic win in Montpellier. The team played superbly and totally deserved the victory. I am just bringing up this one little point out of interest to see what others may think. It makes no difference one way or another at this stage. Has anyone thought there was the merest hint of a suggestion of the posibility of a forward inside pass from the Rev to Tommy before he took the return pass for the score? This issue was not raised by the ref, Montpellier or anyone else, so presumably everyone is happy with the outcome. It does not matter a rodent's botty now in any case. Just curious.
No Spiffer, I didn't think so.

I won't bang on yet again about the game being worse off if everything slightly dubious is referred and something utterly marginal rules out a try that for as long as rugby has been played would have been given as a try.

That notwithstanding I thought all passes were fine.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

There were a number of passes this weekend not referred that would have been referred last weekend, case in point, Leicester's bonus point was scored off of a pass at least 6 feet forward.

In the first weekend of the HEC, it became a farce, so better to just let them go than create 3 hour games.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:Keeping the red hand flying high...hope that isn't too distasteful for some. :red: :red: :fleg: :fleg:
Catch a grip.

Who has ever found the red hand distasteful on this forum? :roll: :scratch:
I find a commie party tune distasteful, if that helps? :lol:
Come the revolution I'll have you shot comrade. >sniper
It was a Christmas carol before the Commies took it over anyway!
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

A bit like "The Sash" then .... Irish Molly-O ....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Just found this piece by ROG on Ulster's win:
By Ronan O'Gara
We’ve been here before. Is it different this time? Well, they are genuine competitors now. Two or three years ago, it was easy to compartmentalise them: under-achievers. Always dangerous, but more often than not, manageable.

Saturday’s 8-25 win was the sort of convincing performance and result that make the whole of European rugby sit up. It’s big news in France. Montpellier at home are a serious outfit, top six standard in France. They put 40 points on Clermont in the Top 14, they’re well coached by Fabien Galthie and they’ve been playing with high intensity. And when a French team has that in its locker and gets into their offload game, it usually leads to trouble for the opposition.

Ulster were without Stephen Ferris, Nick Williams, Craig Gilroy and Paddy Wallace. The former duo are forwards who tend to leave their mark on proceedings.

Williams has been a master signing for Ulster and Mark Anscombe has done well in tying him down to a new two-year contract. Things didn’t work for him when he first came to Munster. Timing was a lot of it; that and a plague of injuries. He’s now settled in Belfast with his wife and family and playing for a coach in the literal sense — Anscombe was one of his first coaches at home in North Harbour, Wayne Shelford’s club in New Zealand. He’s followed him around the world a bit.

After Munster, Nick was in Italy with Aironi and it could all have just petered out. Contrast that with seven man-of-the-match performances in a row last season for Ulster. Of course, such accolades are subjective, but that’s a serious performance level in any man’s language, and it was rightfully recognised when he was named Rabo Pro12 player of the season and IRUPA player of the year.

When you are unlucky with injuries, the last thing you need is to be living on your own. Hence he mightn’t have been the happiest of people while in Cork. Boredom probably led to a less than professional outlook on his career. He wasn’t disciplined at the time in terms of his diet but with those issues ironed out, it’s easy to see how he has become a serious unit. This guy can do massive damage to your body.

The irony is that he is such a fantastic human being. Very respectful, great company. I can remember him dancing in my kitchen with my daughter at six or seven in the morning when we went back to the house after a night out. Molly was just a dot in his arms. He has that great Maori trait of human decency, family and a love of music. Put a number eight on his back though...

I don’t have a proper handle yet on how much they’ve advanced as a group since the obliteration by Leinster in the Heineken Cup final two seasons ago. That’s where my question mark lies. Leinster were at their peak then, but we all felt it would be close.

It’s a big step to make in two seasons, but the indicators are positive. Again Andrew Trimble seems a completely different player for Ulster than he sometimes does for Ireland. That’s what I was referring to earlier in relation to players prospering more in one camp than another.

Paddy Jackson also has a lot to offer. He’s still 21 but he’s showing maturity in his performances. International rugby is top-of-the-tree stuff and there have been moments in big games when it all seemed a bit early for him. But when he gets to 23 and 24, he is going to have a lot more game time in the thin-air of top level rugby than many of his contemporaries. He is brave, intelligent and learning all the while how to manage a game. If I didn’t know him from Irish camp I’d have feared for Jackson after that 2011 final, but I could see he had resilience written all over him.

At international level, with Joe Schmidt’s 34-man squad named, he is evidently a nudge ahead of Ian Madigan, even if it’s been an incredibly frustrating time for the Leinster 10.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Good read from ROG.