Montpellier vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: Montpellier vs Ulster

Post by ruckover »

Why people are advocating changing a back row which completely dominated the breakdown on Friday night is beyond me. Barring injuries, the back row should be the same, no matter how good Henderson is. Wilson, Henry and Williams to start with Henderson coming on for Williams to provide the ball-carrying ability we lose when FNW comes off.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

ruckover wrote:Why people are advocating changing a back row which completely dominated the breakdown on Friday night is beyond me. Barring injuries, the back row should be the same, no matter how good Henderson is. Wilson, Henry and Williams to start with Henderson coming on for Williams to provide the ball-carrying ability we lose when FNW comes off.
As well as Williams played, he didn't play a huge role in the domination of the breakdown. The main actors were Wilson, Henry, Best and Tuohy and nobody's advocating dropping them.

Henderson is too good to be left on the bench, and we'll need his athleticism to weather the storm I expect from Montpellier in the first half.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

all rests on Afoa for me. If we can get parity or an edge at set=piece we could sneak this one. No Afoa and we'll be lucky to get a LBP.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

When was the last time Afoa played?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Joe Schmo wrote:The only change I'd make to the team from the Tiggers match is start Olding. Hopefully Mullers neck is ok and Williams knock isn't too bad.
You'd start Ruan on the bench?
Haha no!
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Cockatrice wrote:When was the last time Afoa played?
Against Cardiff at the beginning May, he went off at the beginning if the first half injured.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Montpellier vs Ulster

Post by Joe Schmo »

The only reason to make changes to the pack would be injuries sustained from Friday. As a unit the pack performed as well as they have for a long time against a much touted 'best in league' pack, as well as having played a hard match against the ospreys the week before. Play one more hard game and then wheel out the ravens for the next Rabo match.

* edit* obviously Pienaar would not start on the bench :duh:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Thanks Joe.... Not the place to rest players think Ruan should start possibly Trimble on the bench he was poor and could easily be brought on but all he and Bowe need is some game time. I would consider Henderson to start with and Williams on the bench to start with. BPL seems to be the game plan for many teams this weekend hopefully that will be a minimum for us anything less would likely come back and bite us.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
davejohnston
Initiate

Post by davejohnston »

A lot of people are just hoping for a losing bonus point, but last year we went out and beat castres, the eventual top 14 champions.
Last year we also went to an over confident Northampton (finalists) and kicked them in the nuts. If we can play like Friday but get the basic handling right then a win is well within our capabilities.
SUFTUM.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Regarding Trimble,was his poor form down to his injured hand,could it possibly be that he may have been rushed back early?
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Ned is a tough, abrasive, fast and experienced wing. He did have a poor game last week but I would not drop him on the basis of that. I'd give him another run to redeem himself and feel pretty sure he won't be that bad twice. If things go belly, just sub him from the bench same as you would for any other player.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

AAT is only just back from injury. He needs a run of a couple of games to get back to his best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

No harm to anyone, but the form on/off suggestions made on this board are more frequently applied than wax on Mr Miyagi's motor. He dropped a few balls, unlike him, but it will pi$h him off and won't happen again in a hurry.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Joe Schmo wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Joe Schmo wrote:The only change I'd make to the team from the Tiggers match is start Olding. Hopefully Mullers neck is ok and Williams knock isn't too bad.
You'd start Ruan on the bench?
Haha no!
Good to know you hadn't lost your grip on reason. :thumleft:
FRB
Initiate

Post by FRB »

Deccie did turn it around at scrum time and did well to last almost the full 80 on Friday. Afoa on the bench for this one.

The toughest call is at 12. Marshall is solid but for me Olding adds a bit of craft at 12. His passing is better than LM and he offers a left footed kicking option. More skilful all round TBH. His defence is solid too. As I said, a tough call and maybe dependent on how Ulster want to play against these guys.

Having watched a bit of Montpelier this season if you can dominate their scrum half and keep him out of the game you are in with a shout. He is a dangerous player. Hence a backrow of Hendo, Wilson and Henry. Wilson offers more control at the base and Hendo can sort the SH.... >EW