Montpellier vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: Montpellier vs Ulster

Post by ruckover »

If Muller is out I would start Hendo and drop Williams to the bench so we had a ball carrier coming on off the bench. Back five of Hendo, Tuohy, Diack, Henry, Wilson (no matter how bad Baggy says Diack is!)
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

ruckover wrote:If Muller is out I would start Hendo and drop Williams to the bench so we had a ball carrier coming on off the bench. Back five of Hendo, Tuohy, Diack, Henry, Wilson (no matter how bad Baggy says Diack is!)
That's not a bad shout; with Muller out it would be good to have Diack in for his lineout work.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

The only way Muller would not be playing is if he had a broken neck.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

As I said last time Hendo and Williams are currently being split due to their ball carrying abilities.
I would love to see them on the pitch at the same time as that would cause havoc for the opposition.

I always think to win in France you have to take them on physically from the off and to go safety first and damage limitation is the path to oblivion.
Starting the two would signal massive intent with Nick to come off around 50 bringing on RW to seal the deal.

Its almost the opposite of last weeks approach where that required a solid start with a real impact and the end with the crowd pushing us.
Important to silence their fickle lot from the off this week and keep them quiet so they can't feed off their support.
This plays a major part believe me.

Either way this is our toughest task of the season so far by a country mile.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

When is the squad due to be announced?
It's the hope that kills you.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Likely just get the team announced on Friday at noon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk now Free
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Ultimately we are good enough to win over there but Montpellier are a good side and it will be a huge ask to win here. The only thing we can hope for, even at this early stage, is that they have an eye on their next round of T14 fixtures which is away to Bayonne the following Saturday.

If we are to prevail we will need some of the spirit of 2012 against Clermont where we matched them physically and really made them doubt themselves. Montpelier with guys like Mas, Hamilton and Gorgodze have a hugely physical pack that we need to meet head on. Unlike Leicester they also have a pretty handy looking back division and it worries me that a team like Leicester got a lot of change out of attacking our fringe defence notably Flood picking fat Deccie off like a Lion might a lame cow.

Personally think Trimble has to carry the can for what was quite simply an appalling performance. Gilroy onto the wing and Trimble to the pine. Pienaar for Marshall would probably be my only other unenforced change. If Muller is out I think that we will see Henderson selected in the 'row however if Williams is still struggling I'd expect Stevenson to the engine room and Henderson to 6 with Wilson shuffling across. Diack does not offer the physicality required for this contest IMO.
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

Would love to see Big Nick up against Gorgodze...
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ruckover wrote:. Barring injuries, the back row should be the same, no matter how good Henderson is. Wilson, Henry and Williams to start with Henderson coming on for Williams to provide the ball-carrying ability we lose when FNW comes off.
Imagine the sound of loud applause ringing in your ears Ruckus. :thumleft: >appl >appl >appl

I having been trying to tell people that that is our big game back-row but few listen. Hendo was great value obviously but right now I would have him as our bench genius and can see him being crucial in that role, hopefully coming on in the back row but 2nd if required.

I wouldn't put him in for either Muller or Tuohy either assuming both are properly fit. Really impressed with Big Dan this season after having a few worries about him apparently acting the maggot a bit in the pre-season and having apparently had a weeks suspension delivered with a flea in his ear by Doc Dave.

Olding hasn't played enough for my liking to start this game but what another blinder to have on the bench. "Theeeee more years" Marshall back to his most effective spot also. BBJ may not feature at all according to worst rumours so can't see him as anything other than possible bench.

Any idiot like to play Jared at 13? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: It amazes me time after time when the chube faction yet again call for the head of Dazza Cave, by a country mile Ulster's finest 13 as amply demonstrated once more last week.

Hope TC was cramping a bit at the end rather than damaged but he was lloking a bit ginger on his toes.

Speaking of Ginger, with the GP now adding perfect cross-kicks to his ever improving game, Paddy can be the man to add more glory this weekend.

If I hear Maaaaaaaaaak issue one word of snivelling respect as Gregor did in Toulon on Sunday I'll be enraged. Check out the European rankings and you will find that we are the better team. Just need to go over there and show them how we play. :red:

Tough but winnable is how I'd describe the game, if we want a home quarter then we need to man up and boot them up and down the pitch.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ruckover wrote:If Muller is out I would start Hendo and drop Williams to the bench so we had a ball carrier coming on off the bench. Back five of Hendo, Tuohy, Diack, Henry, Wilson (no matter how bad Baggy says Diack is!)
Ooooooooooooops, cancel that applause Ruckie. :duh: :duh: :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
ooooooops, cancel that applause Ruckie. :duh: :duh: :duh:
I never fail to disappoint Baggy :lol:

I just think we need someone making the big carries all game - if both Hendo and FNW start then both will be less effective by 60 mins or so. I don't think either should start together, or we'll struggle late in games to punch through opposition back lines.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Can Hendo not play 80 minutes or I have I missed something?
Or there an assumption that because you are a good ball carrier you cant do it for an entire match?
Dont think that SOB, Parisse, POC, Faletau or Read getting subbed too much as they all manage to do get through entire games on a regular basis despite carrying.
If anyone thinks that in France we can afford the luxury of waiting until the 60th minute to introduce one of our best carriers and players, they may be in for a shock.
Looks as though the hand will be forced as if Muller is injured Hendo will play 2nd row.
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

bazzaj wrote:Can Hendo not play 80 minutes or I have I missed something?
Or there an assumption that because you are a good ball carrier you cant do it for an entire match?
Dont think that SOB, Parisse, POC, Faletau or Read getting subbed too much as they all manage to do get through entire games on a regular basis despite carrying.
If anyone thinks that in France we can afford the luxury of waiting until the 60th minute to introduce one of our best carriers and players, they may be in for a shock.
Looks as though the hand will be forced as if Muller is injured Hendo will play 2nd row.
Absolutely right. Hendo is more than capable of carrying the ball and tackling hard for 80 minutes, though it'll be easier for him to do that if he starts in the back row.

In any case, he has to start.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I'm not saying Hendo can't start a match, I'm just saying I'd rather have one of him or FNW coming off the bench to try and punch holes in the defence. No matter how athletic or strong Hendo is, he will definitely not be as effective in the 70th minute than he will be in the 1st minute.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

TBH I'm not too bothered who starts in the back row as long as Chad is there and Robbie D is on the bench. They'll all get on anyway and it may depend upon someone carrying a slight knock, for example. The good news is that BBJ will be playing a part in the match, if Winker Watson is to be believed. I firmly believe we have the backs to beat them as long as we can get parity up front.
Bo***cks to Brexit