Montpellier vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Montpellier vs Ulster

Post by Snipe Watson »

I watched Montpellier and they are a good team, but so are we and I fancy our chances.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

davejohnston wrote:A lot of people are just hoping for a losing bonus point, but last year we went out and beat castres, the eventual top 14 champions.
Last year we also went to an over confident Northampton (finalists) and kicked them in the nuts. If we can play like Friday but get the basic handling right then a win is well within our capabilities.
SUFTUM.
Other than it having been a win in France I don't really see any similarities. Castres were out of the competition and played what was closer to their 2nd XV. We will need to play a LOT better than we did that day to beat this Montpellier outfit at their home ground.

I've watched them quite a bit this season. Even away from home they've been pretty unlucky in a couple of their defeats. They should have beaten Toulon first up as well. Like us, they create quite a few opportunities so should be an entertaining game.

IMHO a win would be up there with the Saints win last season. We need to be at the very top of our game to win over there. It's possible if course but is still a very big ask. If we're off form we could be in for a long afternoon.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote:No harm to anyone, but the form on/off suggestions made on this board are more frequently applied than wax on Mr Miyagi's motor. He dropped a few balls, unlike him, but it will pi$h him off and won't happen again in a hurry.
I'd agree with this. The way players are classed as superstars or hopeless based on one performance never ceases to amaze me.

Unless he hasn't recovered fully form his injury he should start. It's going to be a tough day out there and experienced cool heads are needed.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Trimble is not a bad player never meant that when I said he could maybe drop into the bench. He had poor game but yes I think he has been rushed back too early from his injury. Henderson should start in my opinion.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:Trimble is not a bad player never meant that when I said he could maybe drop into the bench. He had poor game but yes I think he has been rushed back too early from his injury. Henderson should start in my opinion.
AAT had a bad game.....will not happen again. Saying it was anything to do with his injury is rank speculation. He may drop to the bench anyway if Gilroy is back.
agree, Henderson whould start with Wilson at 8.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Trimble is not a bad player never meant that when I said he could maybe drop into the bench. He had poor game but yes I think he has been rushed back too early from his injury. Henderson should start in my opinion.
AAT had a bad game.....will not happen again. Saying it was anything to do with his injury is rank speculation. He may drop to the bench anyway if Gilroy is back.
Nothing wrong with speculation, rank or otherwise. >EW

Maybe dropping him would make him angry again! :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

I'm sure he's angry enough at himself. He'll be back with a bang next weekend.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Nothing wrong with speculation, rank or otherwise. >EW

Maybe dropping him would make him angry again! :thumleft:
I'd be careful with that strategy, he might be angry as soon as you pick him up!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

angry andy is always a bit crap after not playing for a while. Some players just seem to need a few games whilst others like BOD can just slot back in. I'd stick with the same back 3 even if Gilroy is available.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Trimble has good days and bad thankfully the good outnumber the bad he got a couple of passes at thigh height and dropped them . Trimble is a tall lad and needs the ball at his gut when running at pace.

Watched some of the Montpellier game - a bit like Leicester, big pack but their backs are superior -- much superior - a bunch of players to be respected and thus tackled early, give them space and you'll suffer.

For that reason mid field I would start Marshall and Cave the defence needs to be the strongest Ulster can field, with Payne Trimble or Gilroy and Bowe Ulster have the ability to counter attack .

If fit I would start Gilroy for the simple reason Montpellier may opt for a kicking game early and Gilroy is in my opinion better under a high ball than Trimble . If Trimble gets a few right early he's fine but if he drops the first Montpellier would pepper him all afternoon. Not a risk I would like to take.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Trimble to start. He'll be hurting after Friday, ready to prove people wrong.

As for Montpellier, I agree with rum, they have very strong backs. Trinh-Duc runs matches, Olivier and Tuitavaké are very clever summer signings and Jonathan Pelissie is a lethal scrum-half if you give him space. Their pack isn't as strong as Leicester's but they'll have a back row of Ouedraogo, Gorgodze and Tulou which is brutal. It'll take a huge team effort to win this.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Don't mind which midfield pairing they go with but Olding is no slouch in the tackle department Rum. In fact I can think of a few instances where Marshall has been out of position and caught flat footed by the opposition. Mind you I don't think he had Cave beside him at the time.

Their backline is deadly alright, like most top French sides, but then so is ours. Put it this way, who would you want to swap out of our back 7 from any of theirs?
My only worry is ulster not making the most their chances and making silly errors. When you think back to the side that played Clermont in '12 and the chances they had.
Sorry my only other worry is missing Afoa and Ferris, I have a feeling BBJ will play most of one half in France this week.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

If enough of us say Angry Andy is crap on here, couldn't catch a cold, hands like shovels etc and he reads it then I wouldn't like to be the Montpellier player who gets in his way :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

If Muller is out I wonder will Lewis start in his place or will Hendo move in with Lewis on bench, tough decision as Hendo covers back row and lock.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

From the Beeb
Heineken Cup: Ulster captain Muller doubt for Montpellier game

Ulster skipper Johann Muller is an injury doubt for Saturday's Heineken Cup clash with Montpellier in France.

The South African lock sustained a neck injury in Friday night's 22-16 win over Leicester Tigers at Ravenhill.

Muller will be assessed during the week although Ulster said they are hopeful he will available for selection.

Number eight Nick Williams (hip) and wing Craig Gilroy (ankle) are expected to be fit to face Montpellier, who also won their Pool 5 opener.

Montpellier top the pool on points difference after a 27-10 victory over Benetton Treviso in Italy.

Williams suffered his injury against the Tigers while Gilroy is set to make his comeback following the ankle injury picked against Treviso last month.

Prop John Afoa could also return to action after the New Zealander was sidelined with a calf injury.

Ulster have chalked up just one win in France, coming last season against Castres.
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...