NIQs for 2014-15 Season

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: NIQs for 2014-15 Season

Post by againstthehead »

I'd say we need a quality prop, second row and utility back. One of them can be a decent project player - ideally someone of the quality of Payne.... (fat chance...)

if Williams leaves, then a backrower to replace.

Not sure if there are many decent irish-qualified players that would consider going to Ulster - Boss??
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

We need a tighthead prop, a back five forward (the precise position depending on Humphries/D4 pulling the finger out and giving Henderson a number to master, preferably 6), a scrum-half and possibly a centre/utility back.

Given we have just got rid of Afoa, and the IRFU edict of "not shooting ourselves in the foot", I think we'll be allowed to sign a NIQ tighthead, but he will have to be a project. That may mean yer man Herbst at Sharks. That, from the D4 perspective, would mean two THs proficient toTest level in 3 years (Moore and Herbst/whoever).

As regards a back five forward, it's anyone's guess, though I'm sure KOTH and a few others have heard names.

As much as Ruan brings sheer unadulterated class to the pitch, we need another scrum-half who isn't Paul Marshall, and it's too soon to be relying on Shanahan or another Raven. Tbh I would be happy with a proficient if not excellent back-up, so maybe project of even a current IQ - no use busting the budget on two world-class players in one position.

Finally, we are thin at centre until Marshall and Olding come back (and in whatever shape Marshall comes back in). A utility back to cover that general area and maybe 15 wouldn't go amiss, even if it's a one-off, 2 year contract until another 2 (say) youngsters come through.

Going by Humph's past few years, I'm confident he'll get at least 3 of the above 4, plus whomever he in his infinitely superior wisdom has decided we are in need of.

Have faith! :red:

Edit: Reading back over this - is there any provision for declaring more than one international signing per year a "project"?
It's the hope that kills you.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

damianmcr wrote:I heard you get a tasty burger at Nutts Corner.
So that's where Nick is.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote: Edit: Reading back over this - is there any provision for declaring more than one international signing per year a "project"?
Exceptions to the guidelines would presumably be made on a case by case basis if D4 thought it were in the interest of Irish rugby.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

There is talk that Payne does not become qualified until November and that prevents us signing a project until that time, not sure though if this is accurate.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Will59
Novice

Post by Will59 »

Rooster wrote:There is talk that Payne does not become qualified until November and that prevents us signing a project until that time, not sure though if this is accurate.

Is it not that November will be the first International matches that he will be eligible for?

Wouldn't have thought that should have an impact on us.
Ravers is my home from home!

My wife allows me to say that.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:There is talk that Payne does not become qualified until November and that prevents us signing a project until that time, not sure though if this is accurate.
End of September for Jared.

Have faith childer!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
End of September for Jared.

Have faith childer!
That passport at Nutts Corner ready?
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:We need a tighthead prop, a back five forward (the precise position depending on Humphries/D4 pulling the finger out and giving Henderson a number to master, preferably 6), a scrum-half and possibly a centre/utility back.

Given we have just got rid of Afoa, and the IRFU edict of "not shooting ourselves in the foot", I think we'll be allowed to sign a NIQ tighthead, but he will have to be a project. That may mean yer man Herbst at Sharks. That, from the D4 perspective, would mean two THs proficient toTest level in 3 years (Moore and Herbst/whoever).

As regards a back five forward, it's anyone's guess, though I'm sure KOTH and a few others have heard names.

As much as Ruan brings sheer unadulterated class to the pitch, we need another scrum-half who isn't Paul Marshall, and it's too soon to be relying on Shanahan or another Raven. Tbh I would be happy with a proficient if not excellent back-up, so maybe project of even a current IQ - no use busting the budget on two world-class players in one position.

Finally, we are thin at centre until Marshall and Olding come back (and in whatever shape Marshall comes back in). A utility back to cover that general area and maybe 15 wouldn't go amiss, even if it's a one-off, 2 year contract until another 2 (say) youngsters come through.

Going by Humph's past few years, I'm confident he'll get at least 3 of the above 4, plus whomever he in his infinitely superior wisdom has decided we are in need of.

Have faith! :red:

Edit: Reading back over this - is there any provision for declaring more than one international signing per year a "project"?
Read back over it again :banghead:
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Clive's probably V+'d it anyway!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Indiana
Novice

Post by Indiana »

We need a 10. This constant switching to cover while PJ is on Ireland duty is no good.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Indiana wrote:We need a 10. This constant switching to cover while PJ is on Ireland duty is no good.
:roll: we have got another 10 signed :thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

People need to keep up. This bs is not helping my hangover
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Rooster wrote:
Indiana wrote:We need a 10. This constant switching to cover while PJ is on Ireland duty is no good.
:roll: we have got another 10 signed :thumleft:

We have no idea if he's any good ... but he's replacing McKinney ... starter for 10 in the beg!!!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Indiana
Novice

Post by Indiana »

Sorry Ross, I know what you mean!
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain