What the Papers Say 2014/2015

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: What the Papers Say 2014/2015

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 11th June

Ulster chief confident Ulster will remain a force in Europe
Ulster Rugby chief executive officer, Shane Logan, said he was confident the club would continue to be a major force in Europe in spite of the many changes - expected and unexpected - which have taken place recently.

On Tuesday the Irish Province were handed a formidable task in the inaugural European Champions Cup.

Ulster were placed in a heavyweight Pool Three with defending European champions, Toulon, English Premiership giants, Leicester Tigers and top Welsh seeds, Scarlets.

It is arguably one of the toughest draw of the five pools - although Munster also face a stern test facing English heavyweights Saracens, French side ASM Clermont and another Premiership side, Sale Sharks.

Yesterday’s draw in Switzerland for the tournament which replaces the Heineken Cup after 19 years brought to an end an eventual seven days for Ulster.

Last Tuesday, international backrow, Stephen Ferris confirmed he would be retiring from the game due to injury.

Last Thursday, Ulster announced a landmark deal when they sold the naming rights of the newly developed Ravenhill stadium.

Kingspan Environmental agreed a 10-year deal, worth in the region of £5 million, to have the famous Belfast ground named ‘Kingspan Stadium’.

And just as Ulster fans were debating that issue, the club then dropped a massive bombshell on Saturday announcing the shock departure of director of rugby, David Humphreys.

The 42-year-old, who had enjoyed a 22-year relationship with the club on and off the field is taking a similar position with immediate effect at English side, Gloucester.

His departure, Ferris’ retirement as well as the departure of Johann Muller, Tom Court and John Afoa, has left considerable voids in the team.

Ulster have signed South Africans, Louis Ludik (utility back), Francois van der Mewre (lock) and prop Williem Herbst and some lesser known names, but fans have taken to social media and forums voicing their concerns.

Following yesterday’s tough ERCC draw, Logan said he believes the Province is continuing the strengthen it’s position as a major force in Europe.

He added: “We’ve lost some magnificent servants but I think it’s fair to say that several of them were towards the end of their careers.

“So what we’ve done is bring in younger, but experienced players, as it’s important to build for the future.

“We also have a very strong crop of local players. We had the largest contingent of any province starting for Ireland on Saturday and we are investing heavily in our succession. We also have players like Stuart Olding who is a fantastic prospect but missed all of last season through injury.

“We have depth throughout the squad and world class quality in nearly every position,” added the Ulster CEO.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-6111196

Brutal draw for Ulster Rugby in new look European Champions Cup
Ulster will face back-to-back European champions Toulon in the inaugural European Rugby Champions Cup competition next year.

The big paying star-studded French club, who Jonny Wilkinson led to double Heineken Cup success in the past two seasons, are among the favourites to win the new look tournament.

Toulon and Ulster are drawn in what is a hugely competitive Pool Three along with English Premiership giants, Leicester Tigers and Welsh PRO12 side, Scarlets.

The new European tournament replaces the Heineken Cup, which ran for 19 years. The 20 clubs from the PRO12, English Premiership and French Top14, for the first time qualified on merit.

Recently crowned Aviva Premiership champions, Northampton Saints, were drawn in Pool Five of the and will face Racing Metro 92, Ospreys and Benetton Treviso when the 20th season of European club rugby kicks off in October while the top seeds from the Aviva Premiership, Saracens, will be up against two-time European champions, Munster Rugby, ASM Clermont Auvergne and Sale Sharks in a heavyweight Pool 1.

Leinster Rugby, who were the number one-ranked club from the Pro12, take on Castres Olympique, Harlequins and London Wasps in Pool 2, with the number two-ranked club from the Pro12, Glasgow Warriors, drawn in Pool 4 against Montpellier, Bath Rugby and Toulouse.

Exeter Chiefs, the number one-ranked Aviva Premiership club in the 2014/15 European Rugby Challenge Cup, find themselves in Pool 2 along with Bayonne, Connacht Rugby and La Rochelle.

The pool draws for both the European Rugby Champions Cup and the European Rugby Challenge Cup - replacing the Amlin Challenge Cup - were compered by Craig Doyle of BT Sports and Raphael Ibanez, and conducted by three-time European tournament winner, Simon Shaw, and Scott Quinnell of Sky Sports.

The pool stage draws are:

2014/15 European Rugby Champions Cup

Pool 1: Saracens, Munster Rugby, ASM Clermont Auvergne, Sale Sharks

Pool 2: Leinster Rugby, Castres Olympique, Harlequins, London Wasps

Pool 3: RC Toulon, Leicester Tigers, Ulster Rugby, Scarlets

Pool 4: Glasgow Warriors, Montpellier, Bath Rugby, Toulouse

Pool 5: Northampton Saints, Racing Metro 92, Ospreys, Benetton Treviso

2014/15 European Rugby Challenge Cup

Pool 1: Cardiff Blues, London Irish, Grenoble, FIRA-AER 1

Pool 2: Exeter Chiefs, Bayonne, Connacht Rugby, La Rochelle

Pool 3: Stade Francais Paris, NG Dragons, Newcastle Falcons, FIRA-AER 2

Pool 4: Edinburgh Rugby, Bordeaux-Begles, London Welsh, Lyon

Pool 5: Gloucester Rugby, Brive, Zebre, Oyonnax

Pool stage dates

Round 1: 16/17/18/19 October 2014

Round 2: 23/24/25/26 October 2014

Round 3: 4/5/6/7 December 2014

Round 4: 11/12/13/14 December 2014

Round 5: 15/16/17/18 January 2015

Round 6: 22/23/24/25 January 2015
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-6110255

Ulster Rugby faces massive challenge in new Euro cup
It is a cliché to talk in terms of a 'group of death' but that was the reaction of many Ulster supporters following the draw for the new-look European Rugby Champions Cup.

Ulster have been pitted against mighty Toulon, old European adversaries Leicester Tigers and fellow-PRO12 side, Scarlets.

Having won the Heineken Cup in each of the past two seasons, Toulon are aiming for the first ever hat-trick in the competition's history.

Jonny Wilkinson, who captained the French giants in each of the past two campaigns, may have hung up his boots but he is returning to Stade Félix Mayol in a coaching capacity.

And such is the strength and depth of their expensively assembled squad that they are probably the best-equipped club in the northern hemisphere to withstand that loss.

Leicester are no strangers and, encouragingly, Ulster's record against them is impressive. This will be the fourth time they have squared up in Europe and Ulster have won four of their previous six against these opponents.

That quartet of victories includes the Tigers' two worst-ever defeats in the competition – 33-0 in Belfast (2003-04) and 41-7 (2012-13).

And last year, of course, Ulster managed a home and away double over the Richard Cockerill-coached Aviva Premiership side, winning the October 11 tie at Ravenhill 22-16 and then squeezing home 22-19 in the Welford Road return on January 18 – the first time Leicester had lost a Heineken Cup home game since Munster beat them in the opening pool-stage match of 2007-08.

Scarlets and Ulster know one another inside out as a result of their regular meetings on the domestic front.

Ulster's chief executive, Shane Logan, described the draw as 'tough, achievable and very exciting'. "We knew it was going to be tough; with now only 20 teams in the competition it makes it harder," he said.

"I don't think we have anything to fear – I'm not underestimating the task but we're getting better at winning away in big games; last year we won at Leicester and Montpellier."

As for the prospect of welcoming the holders to Kingspan Stadium, his take on Toulon's visit was: "It's a magnificent fixture – it's mouth watering. We believe we have, perhaps, Europe's best stadium and we want to have Europe's best teams playing at it.

"That's the beauty of this competition and that's the beauty of what we're trying to create. Toulon have a team that is star-studded with some of the world's best players and they'll bring a big crowd over. And I know that our crowd will more than rival them.

"It's great for Ulster Rugby and it will be a pleasure to welcome them to Kingspan Stadium."

As for the other two in Pool 3, Logan said: "We're well used to playing Leicester. And interestingly, when we've had them in our pool, we've gone through to the quarter-finals.

"I think we are the only team in Europe to have gone through to the last eight in each of the last four years. It will be tough, enjoyable, but we'll do our best to make it five years in a row.

"You can't underestimate Scarlets. They beat us well away from home last season (in the PRO12) although we beat them well in Belfast. It's always tough – they play attractive rugby and have a fine coach in Simon Easterby."

His overall assessment was: "We've lost some magnificent servants, but several were towards the end of their careers. So what we've done is bring in younger, but experienced players, to build for the future.

"We also have a very strong crop of local players. We had the largest contingent of any province starting for Ireland on Saturday and we are investing heavily in our succession.

"We also have players like Stuart Olding, who missed all of last season through injury. We have depth and world-class quality in most positions."

Rory Best took to Twitter to have his say. He tweeted: "Tough draw, but exciting times ahead, the Kingspan Stadium will be rocking for the three home games!!"

Ulster's former director of rugby David Humphreys will take on the Challenge Cup next season, his new club Gloucester having failed to qualify for the main event.

The south-westerners will face Brive, Zebre and Oyonnax.

Leinster – winners in 2009, 2011 and 2012 – have drawn Castres Olympique, Harlequins and London Wasps, while Munster – champions in 2006 and 2008 – will face Mark McCall's Saracens who were runners-up last season, ASM Clermont Auvergne and Sale Sharks.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 43670.html

Ulster star Iain Henderson determined to learn from Joe Schmidt
ADJUSTING to the ways of Joe Schmidt can take some time it seems, but by the sounds of things, it doesn't take long to learn what the Ireland coach expects of his players.

Having missed the November Internationals, Iain Henderson found out all about the New Zealander in the spring and, despite being warned by team-mates about what was coming, he still had to learn the hard way. A former headmaster, Schmidt expects his players to have their homework done and for them to turn up for work ready to go.

"He caught me a good few times at the start when I was a little off guard," the young Ulster second-row said. "I'd heard people talking about it. I was injured during the November series and I heard people talking about the detail required from the likes of Luke Marshall and Paddy Jackson and all the boys who were down. "I wasn't quite prepared or hadn't realised exactly what it was like and during the Six Nations games it came as a bit of a shock, whereas now I've had a whole Six Nations of it, so I knew what I was getting myself into. "It just ensures you've got everything nailed off and, come match day, it makes you feel so much more comfortable about yourself.

"You might be a wee bit less comfortable during the week in training, you might be a bit nervous or what not, but come match day, you know your detail because there's no other option. "It's all about detail with Joe, make sure everything is nailed off. There's no point in turning up to training if you don't know what your plays are.

"Schmidt is a fan of the 22-year-old who already has 11 caps to his name and was so impressive for Ulster in recent months. Still, there is room for improvement and the coach has a clear idea of what the lock needs to do . "He's making progress. But, it's funny, you look at Donnacha Ryan or Devin Toner, there is something about the age of 26, 27 that a second-row starts to really develop into the type of player who can compete internationally," Schmidt said.

"To fast track someone like Iain Henderson as a kid is a difficult proposition for the player himself and the things we demand of him. If Paul (O'Connell)'s down or takes a knock and Iain has to suddenly call a line-out, he's got to know those line-outs inside out, he's got to read the defence that the Argentinians are putting up.

"Those are the unseen aspects that are a real challenge for somebody like Iain who is a natural ball-carrier, a naturally powerful kid, although not in the same realm as the Stephen Ferris or Sean O'Brien category, but he's a quality young player. "The difficulty presented to Henderson is the quality of second-row partner he regularly packs down with.

"If Johann goes off and Dan's on, Dan will be calling, so you mightn't get the opportunity to do that," he said. "So, I have been working on other aspects of my game, so maybe next year when Johann is away and there is only Dan there with a few others, I might get an opportunity to do that.

"It is just that I'm more happy with getting match minutes under my belt and that's why my performances started to get better towards the end of the season, because I was able to get into the game, because I had the 80 minutes under my belt."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/r ... 44709.html

Iain Henderson happy to buy into Joe Schmidt’s demanding routine in Argentina Gerry T
Having missed out on November series, Ulster star is enjoying playing catch-up with Ireland squad
Having missed out on the November Tests through injury, Iain Henderson has been playing catch-up under Joe Schmidt’s watch, which as many players have testified, is not always ideal. Saturday’s first Test was only Henderson’s second under the Irish coach, along with the penultimate Six Nations win over Italy, but the signs are that he is getting there.
Henderson is a huge talent, wonderfully athletic and skilful for such a big man who has a real attitude about him on the pitch, and as Schmidt said afterwards, the 6ft 6ins (1.98m), 116kg (18st 3lbs) lock-gum-flanker is growing all the time. Henderson wouldn’t be known for his attention to detail in training but has clearly learned to do things the Schmidt way.

Asked yesterday what was the best piece of advice the Irish coach had given him in the last year, Henderson immediately and predictably replied: “Know your detail.” He added: “It’s all about detail with Joe, make sure everything is nailed off.

“There’s no point in turning up to training if you don’t know what your plays are. You need to make sure you’ve done all your homework on yourself and the opposition, you’ve watched your training sessions just past, you know what they’re going to be like, you know what their lineouts are, you know what their plays are and what not.

“It’s very intense and I think it’s fantastic.

‘Switched on’
“I think he keeps everyone switched on. Everyone really respects him and I think in training that goes a long way when everyone respects the coach.”

Like everyone, but all the more so later additions to the squad, Henderson has been chastised by the demanding Schmidt along the way. “He caught me a good few times at the start when I was a little off guard. I’d heard people talking about it. I was injured during the November series and I missed that, and I heard people talking about the detail required from the likes of Luke Marshall and Paddy Jackson and all the boys who were down.

“I wasn’t quite prepared or hadn’t realised exactly what it was like and during the Six Nations games it came as a bit of a shock, whereas down here now I’ve had a whole Six Nations of it so I knew what I was getting myself into it. It just ensures you’ve got everything nailed off and come match day it makes you feel so much more comfortable about yourself.

“You might be a wee bit less comfortable during the week in training, you might be a wee bit nervous or what not, but come match day you know your detail because there’s no other options during the week.”

From the outside, this sounds very intense and exacting, yet the eagerness and enthusiasm with which players roll up for duty and buy into this demanding regime is also palpable, and for one main reason.

“I think that’s because people enjoy it when you’re winning and Joe seems to put the pressure to get the result,” explained Henderson.

“I think that pressure, as it pays off, that’s why people enjoy it. At the start it was a bit ‘oh flip, this is all so intense’ but when you see it paying off you think ‘it was worth it then’ and it gets people in good mindsets. ‘If we’re doing all this homework it’s going to pay off and it’s going to work for us’.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1827394

Less Kiss will be looking for significant improvement in backline tackling Gerry T
Ireland missed 16 tackles against Argentina, of which 11 were made by an unusually porous backline
Aside from not rewarding visits deep into the Pumas’ 22 with scores, by far the most disappointing aspect of the Irish performance in last Saturday’s first Test were the amount of missed tackles. Ireland missed 16 tackles, of which 11 were made by an unusually porous Irish backline.

Allowance has to be made for the team having been re-jigged and with it being so rusty – 13 of the starting side hadn’t played in three or four weeks, including the entire backline. There could be up to a further seven changes to the run-on XV for the second Test when the team is announced tomorrow, but even so Ireland, and especially defence coach Les Kiss, will be looking for a significant improvement.

“I was disappointed with a couple of elements of defence. Rightfully the players were as well. There were some good things as well but more important there was just one-on-one misses, particularly in the back line which was disappointing.

“That is probably an individual focus for each player, a concentration focus to make sure that you are at the top of your technique because these individuals are very sharp. They have great footwork, they are very strong. We talked about it before the game last week that we cannot just enter a tackle zone and go through the motions. You’ve got to hit, stick and finish off the back end because they are good fighters and they work.”

Kiss largely absolved the pack, where Chris Henry, Iain Henderson and Robbie Diack led the way with 36 tackles between them and only two missed, but what compounded the defensive flaws was the amount of preparatory work they had done on these Pumas. “We had video profiles on these players, we know them inside out basically and we offered them opportunities. I’ll be looking for an increase in focus and concentration and making sure that individually they’re nailed on. If that drops a bit it does give them a chance.”

Defensive coach
The Irish defensive coach singled out the Argentine left-winger Manual Montero. “We just didn’t knock the boy over. If you give him that space he is dangerous. That’s one example. The bottom line for me was we did scramble really well and sometimes the things the things that do define you isn’t the perfection of the system but it’s how you fight your way out of the crap when it happens. We healed ourselves pretty well most of the time but individuals probably need to get in front of certain things and we’ll keep working on our system.”

Montero’s opposite winger, Andrew Trimble, was unusually the most culpable along with Luke Marshall in missing three tackles, but in mitigation of the Ulster winger, he was coming up against a big, strong, quick and surprisingly nimble-footed winger, the kind who would assuredly have landed a Top 14 or Premiership club by now were it not for the Pumas’ commitments to the Rugby Championship making them less attractive to French and English owners.

Kiss admitted there is “something quite special” about the 22-year-old winger, who has scored 12 tries in 11 Test matches, adding: “There is something about him, he just goes for things. He has got a nice gait. Some people who run with a gait it’s difficult to get on to and it surprises you even when he stops and he starts when he went for the corner. Trimbee was just about to jump him, chop him or give him an ankle tap and he has stopped and it put him out of stride so he has got this knack and rhythm that is a really a good place for him. He is a good player but I’d also say we gave him some space to show that too much. Hopefully we don’t offer that again.

‘Take his space’
“You have just got to stay big, get into him, take his space and chop, you have just got to be able to surprise his elements and take away the areas he feels comfortable in. If you can change that, then he has got to find another solution and maybe he doesn’t have that solution yet.”

The Irish management will be keeping an intent eye on all of the 29-man squad each day – “we are assessing them all the time, there’s no qualms about that” – for the remainder of what Kiss says has been an informative tour.

Kiss himself will then travel to Romania to see the Emerging Ireland team play their second game of the IRB Nations Cup against the hosts on Sunday week, while Joe Schmidt will travel to New Zealand to catch the tail-end of the IRB Junior World Championships, where the Irish Under-20s have reached the semi-finals against England on Sunday.

In the meantime, the squad travelled up to Tucuman yesterday and are bracing themselves for a more passionate and testing environment in such a rugby heartland, as well as a much better pitch albeit with a cramped changing area which team manager Mick Kearney likened to “something out of a badly run down club from the 1970s.”

“In memory of playing there, not personally but coaching teams, the Waratahs, I think, it is quite a passionate environment,” said Kiss. “Whatever it is we have to deal with it. We all know this. Whatever is dealt up that’s what this opportunity is for, we will see what this tour is about and how our players handle it. We expect that it’s going to be massively physical test. There’s no doubt that they would probably feel that they’ve got more to offer and try and cut out some of the errors, they’ll tap into their local support up there and it’s a massive, massive test, so shoulders on.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/l ... 419?page=2
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/l ... -1.1827419

Schmidt’s intensity keeps Henderson switched on
Ireland lock Iain Henderson says that the key to success under Joe Schmidt is the attention to detail which is demanded of every player and member of management.

The 22-year old from Belfast has come up through the Ulster academy and made his mark early in the professional game but he said yesterday that the intensity of the Schmidt operation surprised him when he was first called into the squad.

“Know your detail. It’s all about detail with Joe, make sure everything is nailed off. There’s no point in turning up to training if you don’t know what your plays are.

“You need to make sure you’ve done all your homework on yourself and the opposition, you’ve watched your training sessions just past, you know what they’re going to be like, you know what their lineouts are, you know what their plays are and what not. It’s very intense and I think it’s fantastic. I think he keeps everyone switched on. Everyone really respects him and I think in training that goes a long way when everyone respects the coach.”

Henderson admitted he was caught out a couple of times in the early days of his international career but now knows what’s required.

“He caught me a good few times at the start when I was a little off guard. I’d heard people talking about it. I was injured during the November series and I missed that, and I heard people talking about the detail required from the likes of Luke Marshall and Paddy Jackson and all the boys who were down.

“I wasn’t quite prepared or hadn’t realised exactly what it was like and during the Six Nations games it came as a bit of a shock, whereas down here now I’ve had a whole Six Nations of it so I knew what I was getting myself into it.

“It just ensures you’ve got everything nailed off and come match day it makes you feel so much more comfortable about yourself. You might be a wee bit less comfortable during the week in training, you might be a wee bit nervous or what not, but come match day you know your detail because there’s no other options during the week.”

He is expecting another tough encounter against the Pumas and while his versatility of being able to play in the back row has advantages, he reckons it will be at lock that he will settle.

“I think I am starting to realise my future lies in the second row more than the back row but that is up to the coaches to decide and I’ll play wherever I’m picked.

“It is more to do with my size, more suited to the back row. And if I was a coach I would thinking ‘If I can get three back-row and another back-row in the second-row that would suit my game, I’d like to get as many mobile players into the back five of the scrum as possible,” he added.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 71697.html

OTHER

Australian Rugby Union appoint dedicated concussion specialist
The Union also promise head injury-focused pitch-side doctors with the support of video replays to assess each injury.
Flanker George Smith was at the centre of one of last summer's big concussion controversies against the Lions
THE AUSTRALIAN RUGBY Union today underlined a growing concern and awareness of concussion in the game by becoming the first union to appoint a full-time ‘concussion specialist’.

The ARU have installed former Stormers and Springbok staff member Dr Ryan Kohler to the role.

He is tasked with overseeing development, implementation and monitoring of concussion guidance given at schools and club levels as well as offering support to team doctors and medical staff at all levels of the game, says today’s statement the ARU website.

Kohler’s first role with the ARU will see him be present on the sidelines for each of the Wallabies’ three Tests against France this month. And the union say that all future Test matches in Australia will have a doctor whose sole focus will be the assessment of concussion present on the sidelines.

That will not always be the duty of Kohler, but the doctor in that role will have access to slow-motion replays to help them more clearly understand the sort of blow sustained by a player showing symptoms of concussion.
http://www.thescore.ie/concussion-speci ... 9-Jun2014/
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 11th June

PART II

PA Report Cards: Ulster Rugby
The domestic rugby season has come to an end, and it was another case of what could have been for Ulster rugby after they fell short at the Quarter-Final stage of the Heineken Cup and also suffered defeat in the Pro12 Semi-Final. Ozer McMahon is here to issue the province with their PA Report Card, detailing the highs and lows of their season. Up first is Pat Lam’s Connacht side.
Competition Review

On the face of things a quarter-final appearance in the Heineken Cup and a semi-final outing in the Rabo Pro 12 shouldn’t represent an unsuccessful season. Yet when you scratch below the surface, that’s exactly what it was for Ulster.

In a season where it could be argued three of Ireland’s four provinces were going through various degrees of transition, the Northern province were nearing the end of a project. After three years of heavily investing in top class Southern Hemisphere talent, the Ravenhill faithful were well within their rights to expect some silverware.

Having topped their Heineken Cup group and assuring themselves of a top seeded home draw, the 1999 winners fell way below expectations by exiting at the quarter final stage.

While a controversial early red card to Jared Payne hampered their prospects against Saracens there is no doubting the disappointment that reverberated around the North following that defeat.

Ulster also flattered to deceive on the domestic front with a fourth place finish that was only guaranteed in the penultimate round of the competition. Despite winning 15 of their 22 fixtures they struggled to hit the heights consistently during the regular season, and by finishing in 4th place they faced the prospect of travelling to the RDS to meet their rivals Leinster in the semi-final.

Leinster have become quite the obstacle for Ulster over the past number of seasons and the visitors lost out narrowly 13-9 and thus ended another season trophy-less, extending their drought to eight years.

Reasons to be Cheerful

Ulster have a thrilling back line, many of whom are young Irish qualified academy products. Paddy Jackson has grown immeasurably beside Springbok Ruan Pienaar this season, and at his current rate of improvement he will be a stellar player for the province for years to come.

The re-signing of Ian Humphries offers quality depth in this pivotal position, depth that had been lacking. With this potent mix of precocious young talents and experienced internationals, the Ravenhill crowd can expect some rip-roaring performances next term.

While up front, Iain Henderson’s emergence proves Ulster can produce young forwards to match their backs and the languid lock/back row will be central to their plans going forward. Henderson is still finding his way at the top level but he is clearly a player of massive potential and is continually growing into games the more he plays. Ulster will be pinning their hopes on the Craigavon native to replace the retired Johann Muller who has given fantastic service to Ulster.

Also, the redeveloped and renamed Kingspan Stadium (it will always be Ravenhill) should offer Ulster an even more raucous backing and a financial boost to ensure they can compete to some degree with the money men around Europe and also look to add to their squad.

Reasons to be Fearful

Ulster have had the spine ripped out of their pack with both their props Tom Court and John Afoa off to pastures new, and Stephen Ferris and Johann Muller having both retired. Replacing those seasoned internationals will not come easily or cheaply, and if Ulster want their exciting back line to fire they need to provide them with a competent base. Ulster have made some moves in the transfer market to replace these players but as of yet, their captures do not inspire confidence.

Worryingly, Nick Williams tailed off dramatically towards the end of the season, both in terms of form and discipline. A Williams akin to the 2008-2010 Munster version will hinder rather than help Ulster and deprive the Northerners of another key component of last season’s front eight.

David Humphries recent decision to head for Gloucester has hit the Ulster hierarchy hard. His role as Director of Operations saw Ulster implement an aggressive recruitment policy that attracted some serious talent from the Southern Hemisphere to Ireland’s most northerly outpost. Combined with the improved structures at academy level Ulster were gaining ground on Munster and Leinster who had ruled the Irish landscape since the turn of the century. His departure will leave a substantial question mark in the way the club is run from now on.

High Point of the Season

The decision of Ruan Pienaar to extend his stay with Ulster must be regarded as a huge coup for the club. Having seen Tom Court and John Afoa flock to the Premiership and with the sharks in France circling the South African scrum half the fact he opted to stay in Ireland was seen as a real platform for future success. Pienaar is a player of genuine world class and his partnership with Paddy Jackson has seen the young fly half make giant strides this year.

It’s disappointing for a team with the potential Ulster possessed at the start of the season, the moment that gives them most pleasure happened off the field.

Low Point of the Season

Having topped a difficult pool containing Leicester and Montpellier and also gaining the top seed spot, Ulster would have been very pleased with their lot come mid-January.

Ulster had secured a home quarter-final at a newly refurbished Ravenhill against a solid yet unspectacular Saracens side. The draw was opened up for them to make a good run through the knock-out stages. There was an early flurry which saw Jared Payne sent off controversially for challenging Saracens full back Alex Goode in the air. Payne saw red and Ulster saw their hopes dashed.

They fought tirelessly until the end but ultimately fell short of victory by 17-15. Despite this being one of the games of the season, Ulster failed to capitalise on their early season promise and all but ended any hope of silverware.

At this stage of their development Ulster have outgrown being content with morale victories and near misses and the plethora of seasoned internationals in their squad were left deflated after this defeat and from there the season petered out.

End of Season Mark

F

While an F may seem like a harsh assessment of the Ulster season, ultimately they failed in their aim of obtaining a piece of silverware, which was the goal at the outset of the season.

A number of their youngsters such as Henderson, Marshall, Jackson and Ricky Andrew have gained crucial first team experience that will stand them in good stead moving forward but ultimately the failure to annex a trophy, or even reach a final, with such a strong base of overseas talent marks this campaign down as a write off.
http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/omcmah ... ster-rugby

Clinical but fairly reasonable assessment I'd say............

Sportsfile.com
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 11th June

PART III

.,.png
.,.png (22.25 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
End of an Era
No, not the Fez era (that’s coming soon) or the end of the pooh-pooh-ing of concussion (also coming soon), but the Humph era at Ulster. Its been 22 years since Humph was not at Ulster (presumably discounting his time at Oxford and Lahn Oirish) and its reasonable to say no man currently in Irish rugby is as readily identified with his province – Eric Elwood would have been, Axel might if he stays around Munster and Leo Cullen is Leinster’s contender.

Humphreys retired from playing in 2008 and immediately moved upstairs to an operational role, progressing to DoR in 2009 – he was responsible for both the bringing in and the letting go of Brian McLaughlin, the influx of gilded Saffers and the hiring of Mark Anscombe. In terms of on-pitch results, the progression (admittedly from a very low base) has been steady and clear:
◾2008/09: HEC: 3rd in pool behind Quins, Stade (2 wins). Magners: 8th (out of 10)
◾2009/10: HEC: 2nd in pool behind Stade (4 wins). Magners: 8th (out of 10)
◾2010/11: HEC: 2nd in pool behind Biarritz (5 wins including first in England), QF defeat away to Northampton. Magners: 3rd (out of 12), SF defeat away to Leinster
◾2011/12: HEC: 2nd in pool behind Clermont ahead of Leicester (4 wins), QF win away to Munster, SF win vs Embra, F defeat to Leinster. Pro12: 6th
◾2012/13: HEC: 1st in pool ahead of Northampton, Castres (5 wins including first in France), QF defeat away to Globo Gym. Pro12: 1st, SF home win vs Scarlets, F defeat to Leinster in RDS
◾2013/14: HEC: 1st in pool ahead of Leicester, Montpellier (6 wins), QF defeat at home to Sarries. Pro12: 4th, SF defeat away to Leinster

So in Europe, first wins on English and French soil, four successive knockout appearances, two pool wins, first home knockout game, and first final – lots of successes. Domestically, going from also-rans to consistent contenders – not as spectacular a progression, but progress all the same. Still, no cigar – Ulster’s aching for silverware has yet to be sated, and that, ultimately, will be seen as a failure – though not all Humph’s, but the buck does stop somewhere, and since he gets lots of the credit for the upturn, he needs to take some responsibility for not getting to where he wanted to be.

Its clear as well that the current stage of Ulster’s progress is ending – big names like John Afoa and Johann Muller have moved on, and they have not been replaced in a like-for-like fashion. Ulster have built around them,bedded in an outstanding generation of youngsters (Henderson, Jackson, Marshall, Gilroy, Olding) and blended them well with developing players who have been around for all of Humph’s tenure (Henry, Cave, Besty, Court, Tuohy), returning Ulstermen (Bowe, Wilson) and some high-class project players.

The next stage will involve the passing on of the baton from foreigners to Ulstermen (and lets not get all Farmer Farrelly on this – Ulster’s home-grown players are at least as influential and have been for a while) while staying competitive. Its not going to be easy, particularly given the state of the front five and the size of the chequebooks being waved around in France. If Humph had ideas of leaving at some point, now might be a good time relative to on-pitch matters.

There is also the not inconsiderable issue of the future of the head coach – the Sword of Damocles (© Gerry) appears to be hanging over Anscombe’s head. Ulster currently run a bicameral coaching system with Humph as DoR and Anscombe taking training – would this structure be a disincentive to a big name head coach (if indeed, such an animal would be tempted by Ulster in the first place)? Perhaps Humph’s role would have been diminshed in the near future anyway.

Off-field, Ulster have developed into a commercial juggernaut. Ravenhill is no more, and is instead the Kingspan Stadium (at least they have sold the naming rights to a long-standing supporter of the team), with some extra pounds in the coffers and an increased capacity by 50%, with new, modern facilities. Happily, the atmosphere has not suffered – many observers (even by English ones used to the razor-sharp atmosphere at Allianz Park and Irish ones used to the tears at Thomond) rated the atmosphere for the Saracens game as the best of the season just past. Season ticket sales have ballooned, and their marketing has improved from helping fans to “save time” (actually) to becoming a partner in the Ulster/Kingspan experience – its up to the standard of Leinster and Munster – finally.

Again, Humph presided over these changes, if less directly for the off-field matters – and Ulster are now where they want to be. Seems he received an offer that turned his head from Glaws and he decided he had taken Ulster as far as he could, and the time was right to move on. He certainly wasn’t pushed – that is for sure. As it stands, Ulster and Irish rugby owes a great debt of gratitude to one of its great sons, and we can only hope he’ll be back – he’d certainly make a good fist of David Nucifora’s role, if it turns into what its envisioned to.

Ulster are in an immeasurably better place than when he went upstairs – the new era starts now and the bedrock is firm. As George Harrison said, sunrise doesn’t last all morning. Best of luck, Humph.
http://whiffofcordite.com/2014/06/11/end-of-an-era-2/

‘Argentina rattled us a bit at the breakdown’ – Ireland lock Henderson
The 22-year-old was one of the stand-out individuals last weekend in Resistencia.

:red: 2min Interview HERE
IAIN HENDERSON GAVE Joe Schmidt a reminder of his quality in the second row during Ireland’s 29-17 win over Argentina last weekend, excelling in the line-out, carrying effectively and releasing one gorgeous short pass to Dave Kilcoyne late on.

The 22-year-old was winning his 11th cap, as his strength and power continue to grow. Devin Toner and Paul O’Connell may be the first-choice pairing in the second row, but ‘Llama’ [as his teammates refer to him] offers an excellent prospect in the long-term.

His ability to play at blindside flanker makes him an even more useful member of Joe Schmidt’s squad. Henderson will be hoping to make his 12th international appearance in the second Test against the Pumas, where he believes Ireland need to improve.

“We need to get our breakdown right, Argentina rattled us a bit at the breakdown,” said Henderson. “We need to make sure we get a good return on our set piece. If we do those two things, the backs will take care of the rest for us.”
http://www.thescore.ie/iain-henderson-i ... 7-Jun2014/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 12th June

Stuart McCloskey continues to rise in stock with Ireland selection
Exciting young Ulster centre, Stuart McCloskey, has added another feather to his cap after being given a start on the Emerging Ireland team tomorrow.

McCloskey was one of five Ulster stars and 10 previously uncapped players to be named in the starting XV as the Irish side open their IRB Nations Cup tournament in Romania with a game against Russia.

Centre, McCloskey, who is understood to be moving clubs this season from Dungannon to Ballynahinch, made his debut for Ulster in the PRO12 in February, going on to make four more appearances.

The Ulster Academy player impressed in all his outings and although he was not selected in the initial Emerging Ireland squad, call-ups to the senior panel afforded an opening for the 21-year-old.

Experienced Ulster winger, Craig Gilroy and scrumhalf, Paul Marshall also start while there are Irish debuts for prop, Callum Black and hooker, Niall Annett, who will leave the Province at the end of the season.

Robin Copeland, who will join Munster after the tour, starts at No 8.

The Emerging Ireland team is:

Johne Murphy (Young Munster/Munster), Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster), Eoin Griffin (Galwegians/Connacht), Stuart McCloskey (Dungannon/Ulster), Andrew Conway (Blackrock College/Munster), Ian Keatley (Young Munster/Munster), Paul Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster), Callum Black (Malone/Ulster), Niall Annett (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Michael Bent (Dublin University/Leinster), Michael Kearney (Clontarf/Connacht), David Foley (UL Bohemians/Munster), Dominic Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster) (capt), Tommy O’Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster), Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues) *

Replacements: James Tracy (UCD/Leinster), John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster), Billy Holland (Cork Constitution/Munster), Sean Dougall (Dolphin/Munster), Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster), JJ Hanrahan (UL Bohemians/Munster), Brendan Macken (Blackrock College/Leinster)
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-6113890

Five Ulster Players Named in Emerging Ireland Squad
Five Ulster players have been named to start in the Emerging Ireland team's first game against Russia in the IRB Nations Cup on Friday.

Ulster’s Callum Black is named in the front row alongside Niall Annett and Leinster’s Michael Bent. Mick Kearney and David Foley are paired in the second row, with Captain Dominic Ryan joining Tommy O'Donnell and Robin Copeland in the back row.

Paul Marshall will start at scrumhalf and Stuart McCloskey who was a last minute call up to the side will make his debut in the centre, he is joined by Eoin Griffin and Ian Keatley. Craig Gilroy is named on the right wing with Munster’s Andrew Conway on the left and Johne Murphy at fullback.

Emerging Ireland games can be streamed on - http://www.irb.com

Emerging Ireland team to play Russia, IRB Nations Cup, Friday 13th June, Stadionul National Arcul de Triumf, Bucharest – 16.00 local/ 14.00 Irish time.

15- Johne Murphy (Young Munster/Munster)*
14- Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster)
13- Eoin Griffin (Galwegians/Connacht)*
12- Stuart McCloskey (Dungannon/Ulster)*
11- Andrew Conway (Blackrock College/Munster)*
10- Ian Keatley (Young Munster/Munster)
9- Paul Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster)

1- Callum Black (Malone/Ulster)*
2- Niall Annett (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)*
3- Michael Bent (Dublin University/Leinster)
4- Mick Kearney (Clontarf/Connacht)*
5- David Foley (UL Bohemians/Munster)*
6- Dominic Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster)*C
7- Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster)
8- Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues)*

Replacements:
16- James Tracy (UCD/Leinster)*
17- John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
18- Billy Holland (Cork Constitution/Munster) *
19- Sean Dougall (Dolphin/ Munster)*
20- Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster)*
21- JJ Hanrahan (UL Bohemians/Munster)*
22- Brendan Macken (Blackrock College/Leinster)*

N.B. *denotes uncapped player

IRB Nations Cup 2014
Emerging Ireland v Russia
Friday 13th June 2014
Stadionul National Arcul de Triumf 16:00

Emerging Ireland v Uruguay
Wednesday 18th June 2014
Stadionul National Arcul de Triumf 16:00

Romania v Emerging Ireland
Sunday 22nd June 2014
Stadionul National Arcul de Triumf 17:00
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... Squad.aspx

Last edited by Mac on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 12th June

PART II

PA Source: Luke Marshall Dropped For Second Test
Ireland centre Luke Marshall will not start the Second Test vs Argentina on Saturday, according to a Pundit Arena source in Argentina.

It had been reported that Marshall was a major doubt for the clash with Los Pumas due to a head injury, but Pundit Arena has learned that the Ulster player will not start for Joe Schmidt’s side, regardless of his match fitness. The information has come from a relative of one of the Irish players, who was speaking to PA’s Matt Cassidy in Argentina.

It is believed that Darren Cave will be moved to inside centre for the Irish. Cave started at outside centre last week and was highly impressive in the 29-17 victory over the Argentinians. Schmidt is obviously using the opportunity to play the 27-year-old at inside centre to test Cave’s versatility.
http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/rbarre ... cond-test/

Stadium Sponsorship In Rugby On The Rise
Ulster’s announcement this week that their famous Ravenhill stadium would be rebranded as part of a naming rights sponsorship deal with Kingspan was the latest in a increasing trend. In the last month, Scottish Rugby announced a similar partnership with BT Sport for Murrayfield Stadium in Edinburgh, with the media giants also adding their name to the Arms Park in Cardiff.

Stadium naming rights is hardly a new phenomenon in rugby with Ireland’s Aviva Stadium and Saracens’ Allianz Park serving as two prominent examples. And sometimes it’s not the entire ground but just a part of it – both Leicester and Harlequins have had individual stands at Welford Road and The Stoop respectively named after sponsors.

Who benefits most out of these arrangements? The Belfast Telegraph reported that the Ulster deal with Kingspan would be worth around £4m to the province over ten years and multiple media sources have speculated that the BT Sport deal will land Scottish Rugby as much as £20m. There is certainly a financial incentive on offer for the clubs but the social media backlash from Ulster fans last week proves that sometimes it’s not always a well-received change.

When moving to a brand new arena, the issue of supporter connection is less of a problem. When Saracens’ moved into their new home in Barnet a little over a year ago, it was with a six-year deal reportedly worth £8m with German financial services provider Allianz that would see the ground named Allianz Park.

The money from the deal accounted for almost half of the £20m cost of their new home, with Allianz also becoming Saracens' shirt sponsor. With the benefits of the deal clear to see from a Saracens point of view, what value was there to be had for Allianz? They already had two major flagship stadium deals in place with Munich’s Allianz Arena and the Allianz Stadium in Sydney.

Saracens' Allianz Park, one of four Allianz-sponsored stadiums in the world

"The partnership with Saracens will boost brand recognition for Allianz in the UK,” said Allianz's Global Head of Brand Management Christian Deuringer at the time.

"The country is an important market for Allianz, with nearly 7,000 employees, who offer clients services in personal insurance, credit insurance, corporate insurance, assistance and asset management."

It also becomes clear that there is a desire on behalf of brands to forge an emotional investment as well as a financial one. Deuringer also spoke of the idea to build an ‘Allianz Family of Stadiums’.

He said: “Sport is an international language that brings together people from all walks of life, creating local and global communities based around shared passions and interests. Communities play an integral role in our business of helping people to progress in life. This is why Allianz is heavily involved in sport sponsorship around the world.

"There is a strong emotional aspect to being the naming rights partner of a sports stadium – for a non-tangible brand like Allianz, it quickly becomes the ‘home of the brand’ and a place of corporate pride for our employees and partners."

The renaming of a stadium where the name is firmly entrenched into the hearts and minds of a nation’s sporting public is a more challenging proposition, though the numbers continue to show that it is a hurdle worth overcoming.

When Dublin’s Lansdowne Road was to be redeveloped in the mid 2000s, Aviva reportedly paid an estimated €54m (£43m) for a ten year claim to the naming rights. With the net figure to redevelop the ground €411m (£330m), Aviva's sponsorship fee would have equated to 15% of the cost of the stadium.

The potential for the Aviva Stadium to host 20 events per year, including Ireland rugby matches in both the Six Nations and Autumn Internationals, one-off Heineken Cup fixtures and Ireland football games, meant that there was always going to be significant value in sponsorship.

The Aviva Stadium in Dublin, formerly known as Lansdowne Road

And Aviva’s investment means the brand gets its name embedded on the seats, signs, marketing kiosks as well as a suite and exclusive use of the building to entertain customers and employees. There was an initial reluctance from some at the loss of the name 'Lansdowne Road' but Aviva worked to counter that.

Speaking to Running Rugby, Aviva group sponsorship manager Mark Russell said: "Aviva’s sponsorship of Lansdowne Road Stadium was initially based on supporting the brand migration of several Irish insurance companies to Aviva. The Aviva Stadium has been our flagship sponsorship over the last four years and has been phenomenally successful in achieving brand recognition for Aviva.

"Once that recognition was established we worked on deepening our connection with Irish sports fans by enhancing their match day experiences both at the game and at home, and creating a sustainable link between grassroots sport in Ireland and the Aviva Stadium. We will continue to develop new ideas to maximize the sponsorship over the coming seasons."

During negotiations for the Aviva deal, Onside Marketing, a locally based firm, provided numbers from naming rights deals done worldwide up to 2008 – the vast majority of which were stadiums in North America. Their data showed that of the 122 teams in American baseball, basketball, football and hockey, about 70% played in arenas named after corporate sponsors, with an average value of $4m (£2.38m) annually over a 12-year term.

Whilst the benefits to the club tend to be almost entirely financial, the perks of stadium sponsorship to a brand are less quantifiable but no less significant. Arsenal Football Club’s partnership with Emirates, one of the most lucrative deals in football, extends to both shirt and stadium sponsorship and is thought to be amongst the strongest in the UK.

A December 2013 study by Repucom found that 88% of people attending sport in Britain are aware that Emirates own the naming rights to Arsenal’s home stadium, with awareness of the shirt sponsorship deal also the highest of all Premier League clubs at 62%.

Repucom managing director Charlie Dundas said: "Emirates are seemingly reaping the benefits of their dual shirt and stadium sponsorship, currently the most recalled stadium naming rights partner of any UK sporting venue as well as most recalled shirt sponsor in the Premier League. Comparably, Manchester City and Etihad have adopted a similar model to Arsenal and have recorded encouraging levels of awareness in the UK as a result.

"Despite the obvious increase in cost involved in a dual sponsorship programme, it does seem possible that this sponsorship solution has the potential to generate big impact and much quicker ROI (return on investment) for investors."

Transferring the dual sponsorship model to a rugby framework, Saracens and Allianz are the only club and brand that currently employ it, though Harlequins have just ended a seven year period with Etihad as sponsors of both the playing shirt and one of the stands at The Stoop.

It would appear that, with the correct strategy, a naming rights deal has the potential to reap rewards for both sides of the negotiating table, be it in cost or brand awareness. The remaining constant is the supporters and easing the transition for those who still hold dear the traditions of the club and its spiritual home.

When asked if he felt Ulster supporters might be upset at the Ravenhill name change, Shane Logan told the Belfast Telegraph: "When my daughter gets married her name will change but I hope it is for the good. We can't grow the game the way we want to without considerable sponsorship and government funding and our fans supporting us in increasing numbers. So I think people will get used to the name and grow fond of it."
http://runningrugby.com/marketing-and-s ... -the-rise/
Ulster Sign Over Ravenhill Naming Rights To Kingspan
http://runningrugby.com/marketing-and-s ... -kingspan/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 13th June

McFadden handed Ireland’s 13 shirt as Schmidt makes eight changes
Noel Reid, Rob Herring and James Cronin could make their debuts from the bench against Argentina.
IRELAND HAVE MADE eight changes to their starting team ahead of the second Test against Argentina at the Estadio Monumental Jose Fierro in Tucumán on Saturday [KO 7.40pm Irish time].

There are seven personnel changes and one positional switch in Joe Schmidt’s XV, with three uncapped players on the replacements bench.

Fergus McFadden has been handed the 13 shirt, with Darren Cave moving to inside centre to accommodate the Leinster man’s inclusion. In the back three, Rob Kearney returns as Simon Zebo and Andrew Trimble keep their places on the wings.

Jonny Sexton starts again at out-half, having performed superbly last weekend in Resistencia, with Reddan coming into the team to share the playmaking responsibilities from scrum-half. Conor Murray drops to the bench as a result.

In the front row, Munster’s Dave Kilcoyne starts at loosehead prop after a cameo off the bench in the first Test, with Rory Best and Mike Ross retaining their starting spots alongside him.

Devin Toner – replacing Iain Henderson – packs down beside captain Paul O’Connell in the second row, renewing a locking partnership that was superb during the 2014 Six Nations.

In the back row, Chris Henry keeps the seven jersey on the openside, with Jamie Heaslip and Rhys Ruddock replacing Jordi Murphy and Robbie Diack respectively.

Schmidt’s bench includes three uncapped players in Ulster hooker Rob Herring, Munster prop James Cronin and Leinster centre Noel Reid. Ian Madigan will be hoping for a lengthy outing in the second-half, as will Henderson and Murphy.

Interestingly, Rodney Ah You has been left out of the squad, meaning Cronin and McGrath are involved despite both being recognised primarily as looseheads.

Ireland (v Argentina): Rob Kearney; Andrew Trimble, Fergus McFadden, Darren Cave, Simon Zebo; Jonny Sexton, Eoin Reddan; Dave Kilcoyne, Rory Best, Mike Ross; Devin Toner, Paul O’Connell (capt.); Rhys Ruddock, Chris Henry, Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Rob Herring, James Cronin, Jack McGrath, Iain Henderson, Jordi Murphy, Conor Murray, Ian Madigan, Noel Reid.

Meanwhile, the Pumas have made two changes to their starting team.

Antonio Ahualli de Chazal comes in at No.8, with Benjamin Macome having broken his arm in the first Test. Lucas González Amorosino start on the right wing, as 20-year-old Santiago Cordero drops out of the squad completely.

Front rows Santiago Iglesias Valdez and Matias Diaz and outside back Matias Orlando have all been included on the bench.

Argentina: Joaquin Tuculet; Lucas González Amorosino, Jerónimo de la Fuente, Gabriel Ascarate, Manuel Montero; Nicolás Sánchez, Martín Landajo; Lucas Noguera Paz, Matías Cortese, Ramiro Herrera; Manuel Carizza, Tomas Lavanini; Rodrigo Baez, Tomás de la Vega, Antonio Ahualli de Chazal.

Replacements: Santiago Iglesias Valdez, Bruno Postiglioni, Matías Díaz, Matías Alemanno, Javier Ortega Desio, Tomás Cubelli, Santiago González Iglesias, Matias Orlando.
http://www.thescore.ie/ireland-argentin ... 0-Jun2014/

Ireland opt for experience for second Test against Argentina Gerry T
Fergus McFadden the latest to don the Ireland number 13 jersey
Ireland have plumped for a more experienced and proven side for the second Test against Argentina in the Estadio José Fierro in Tucumán tomorrow (kick-off 3.40pm local time, 7.40pm Irish) although Joe Schmidt has been true to his word in giving all 29 squad members game time with the inclusion of three more potential debutants on the bench.

Half a dozen of the Leinster starting line-up which beat Glasgow a fortnight ago, namely Rob Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Eoin Reddan, Devin Toner, Rhys Ruddock and Jamie Heaslip, as well as Munster loosehead David Kilcoyne are called in.

Nine of this side started for Ireland in Paris, as compared to seven a week ago, and there are 565 caps in the starting XV as opposed to 366 last Saturday.

Furthermore, where all but two of last week’s side hadn’t played in three or four weeks, everybody in this starting XV has played in the last two weeks.

The exceptions are Rob Herring, James Cronin and Noel Reid on the bench, and thus they are in line to make their Test debuts.

Felix Jones and Luke Marshall also make way, with Conor Murray and Jack McGrath dropping to the bench, as Darren Cave moves to inside centre to accommodate McFadden’s selection outside him.

The Pumas have made two changes to their starting line-up, with Antonio Ahualli de Chazal coming in for the injured Benjamín Macome (broken arm) at number eight and the more experienced 28-year-old Oyannax winger gum fullback Lucas González Amorosino replacing Santiago Cordero on the right wing, and Schmidt expects them to “play a lot more”.

The Ireland team appears to be more and more Johnny Sexton-dependant, and having started Ireland’s last eight internationals, there must have been a case for having a look at Ian Madigan at outhalf, given Schmidt’s elbow-room to develop strength in depth there will be more restricted next season.

“Yeah, the temptation was there,” admitted the Ireland coach. “I think one of things about it is Ian (Madigan) has a bit of versatility; therefore if we start him there we wanted to have the opportunity to have him either continue there, not to have to force him to play another position.

“And we wanted to keep the spine of the team pretty strong with the experience we have.

“There was a temptation probably to start Damien Varley, I thought he was the big loser this weekend in so far as selection is concerned because I thought that he was really good coming off the bench.

Real experience
“But in order to include everyone he’s missed out to Rob Herring, and we felt that Rory Best through to Paul O’Connell, through Jamie (Heaslip), Eoin Reddan and Jonathan Sexton, and then through Rob Kearney at the back, it just gives us real experience through that spine of the team.”

Given all this, coupled with the lessons from last week, Schmidt and co are entitled to seek an improvement.

Ireland’s win last Saturday was founded on strong set-pieces, and while seeking an improvement in the speed and quality of their ruck ball, O’Connell, the captain, also reasoned:

“We’ve all played in the back-to-back Heineken Cup games. Very often you can have a good day in the lineout in the first game and the other team puts a lot of work into it and it’s a struggle, same with the scrum you can have a good day with the scrum in the first day and the other team rally for the second game.”

The Connacht pair of Kieran Marmion and Rodney Ah You would appear to have much work to do, although Schmidt wanted to keep the experience of Murray in reserve rather than risk seeing out the game with Marmion and Madigan at halfback.

As with wanting to see Cave at inside centre on this tour, the management have been talking about increasing their depth at tighthead by having a look at Jack McGrath there.

Kilcoyne, who will be making only his second Irish start and first since last summer, will welcome the McGrath experiment. He was sporting a sharp new haircut which he described as “a Conor Murray special. We were advised not to chance the barbers in Chaco. It was supposed to be Zebo but he had a Skype date with Elvira, his girlfriend, and he wasn’t reneging on that, so Murray had to do it.

”McFadden cut his teeth at outside centre, although hasn’t played there since the defeat away to Wales in February 2012, and admitted he’ll be looking for a more complete performance this time.

Making more tackles and hitting more rucks are strengths of his game, although McFadden, a Liverpool fan, disagreed with Brian O’Driscoll likening the position to a striker. “I’d say more of a Stevie G than a striker. Brian scored plenty of tries, so maybe that’s what he thought but defensively, it is the most important position on the pitch and I think it’s the link to the outside backs.

“When they’re struggling to get ball and there’s overlaps and space, the 13 is one of those people who is going to get the blame because he’s to get the information into the halfbacks.”

Unfillable
He will not be of a mind to try and emulate O’Driscoll. “You guys know as well as I do no one’s going to fill Brian’s boots, they’re unfillable,” he said, adding: “But one thing Joe does is if someone gets their hands on a jersey and they do a job there, he doesn’t tend to pass it on to someone else. You can get a bit of confidence from that.

“I can just control myself, I’m not too worried about what Brian has done there. He’s done some amazing things, and fair play to him, but the jersey’s going to have to be worn by someone else not and it’s my chance this Saturday.” McFadden hasn’t been in contact with O’Driscoll yet but quipped: “I might text him for the craic; take the mickey out of him.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... 454?page=1

AND that would be it........... :sleeping:
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 13th June

PART II

Ulster Rugby signs Butterworth and Reidy
Ulster Rugby today confirmed the signings of talented young back row players Charlie Butterworth and Sean Reidy ahead of the 2014/15 season.

Butterworth, who can operate as an openside or blindside flanker, joins on a one year contract from Ulster Bank League outfit Landsdowne. The 23 year old Wicklow native was a key player as the Dublin side won the Division 1A title in 2012/13.

Reidy has signed a short term deal with the Province after impressing with Counties Manukau Steelers in New Zealand. The 25 year old can play across the back row and is Irish qualified through his Grandfather who hailed from Castlegregory, County Kerry.

The additions will give Ulster even more depth in an already strong area. The Province currently has three back row players on tour with Ireland in Argentina, while Roger Wilson played for a World XV against South Africa last weekend and they also have Nick Williams on the books. And with young indigenous talent like Conor Joyce emerging too, it will provide the coaches with plenty of options for next season.

Butterworth is delighted to have signed a first professional contract:

"I can't wait to get started, it will be brilliant to be involved. Ulster are one of the best teams in Europe, if not the world, at the moment and it was a no-brainer once David Humphreys offered me the contract. When I got the chance to go up and have a look at the facilities I was just really blown away. It's a top class stadium; everything is state-of-the-art and I can't wait to start training."

Reidy is also relishing the prospect of joining the Ulster squad for pre-season:

"I had heard a lot about Ulster before I signed; they are a club with a lot of history and tradition but have done really well in their competitions recently and are a team on the up. It's a great opportunity for me to go over and learn from the coaches and try to develop my game."
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... Reidy.aspx

Craig Gilroy can get back on Ireland radar
With Ulster having provided seven of the 15 players who started in last Saturday night's 29-17 Test victory over Argentina in Resistencia, there was an encouraging follow-up when the Emerging Ireland side was named.

Five Ulster-honed players are in the starting line-up for today's IRB Nations Cup opener against Russia in Bucharest (2pm), albeit that Niall Annett will be turning out for the Worcester Warriors next season.

For 23-year-old Craig Gilroy – named on the right wing – this represents a much-needed opportunity to climb back up the ladder.

In 2012-13, he could do no wrong; five starts in five Tests, four of them in the Six Nations with two tries for good measure, the first a gem against Argentina.

But in 2013-14 he played no part in any internationals, injury and a loss of form having seen him slip off the radar. This is his chance to stake a claim for a recall.

Scrum-half Paul Marshall turns 29 next month and he knows time is not on his side.

But for inside-centre Stuart McCloskey it's a different scenario. Having made his Ulster debut on February 28, the Dungannon-nurtured Hughes Academy protège has made rapid progress.

Annett is the hooker and Callum Black will be on his left side.

Ulster centurion Tom Court's departure for London Irish has provided Black with a huge opportunity.

Before exiting, Court paid the player who had been his rival for the number one jersey a huge compliment. "Over the past two years I'd say Callum has been our best player in terms of consistency," was Court's assessment.

Emerging Ireland v Russia (IRB Nations Cup, Stadionul National Arcul de Triumf, Bucharest, today, 2pm): Johne Murphy (Munster)*; Craig Gilroy (Ulster), Eoin Griffin (Connacht)*, Stuart McCloskey (Ulster)*, Andrew Conway (Munster)*; Ian Keatley (Munster), Paul Marshall (Ulster); Callum Black (Ulster)*, Niall Annett (Ulster)*, Michael Bent (Leinster); Mick Kearney (Connacht)*, David Foley (Munster)*; Dominic Ryan (Leinster, captain)*, Tommy O'Donnell (Munster), Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues)*. Replacements: James Tracy (Leinster)*, John Ryan (Munster)*, Billy Holland (Munster)*, Sean Dougall (Munster)*, Luke McGrath (Leinster)*, JJ Hanrahan (Munster)*, Brendan Macken (Leinster)*

*uncapped at full-international level.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 50224.html

:red: :red: :red:

:fleg: Belfast Harlequins fans asked to support fundraiser for Fintan Hillyard
A fundraising event for a seriously ill Belfast Harlequins player is being staged tomorrow at Deramore.

The aim is to raise money for 28-year-old Fintan Hillyard who has stage four Metastastic Melanoma, a form of skin cancer. He has been treated in a number of UK hospitals and is currently undergoing treatment in Frankfurt.

Last month the former Methodist College and Belfast Harlequins forward's close friends, Edward Hamilton and Matthew Mullan, set about raising funds for his treatment. To date the total raised is £30,000.

Tomorrow's fundraiser gets under way at 9am with mini-rugby. That will be followed by a mixed tag competition, with the day culminating in a sevens tournament.

It was while playing for Harlequins 15 months ago that Fintan collapsed on the pitch, giving rise to his condition being diagnosed.

A graduate of Edinburgh University, Fintan was a 2001 Medallion Shield winner with Methody, scoring against Ballymena Academy in the final. He went on to represent the Malone Road school at 1st XV level and was a member of MCB's senior team for three seasons.

The organisers of tomorrow's day-long event are hopeful that in addition to his club and former Methody colleagues, the Ulster rugby family as a whole will turn out in sizeable numbers.

Certainly the response from some of the province's leading sports personalities suggests there will be no lack of support or goodwill.

Lots for an auction including former Ulster skipper Johann Muller's signed jersey from the 2011/2012 season, a framed Ryder Cup shirt signed by Darren Clarke, Rory Mcllroy and Graeme McDowell and a Surrey top signed by former Australia cricket captain Ricky Ponting.

In addition to the various rugby events there will be a variety of activities throughout the day – face painting, a barbeque, a raffle and the aforementioned auction among them.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 50095.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 14th June

Ulster Rugby mourn the loss of 1948 Grand Slam hero Jimmy Nelson
It was with deep sadness that the IRFU Ulster Branch today learned of the passing of former player and President, Jimmy Nelson OBE. Our deepest sympathies are extended to his wife Maureen and the wider family circle.

The following obituary was compiled by Jim Stokes.

Malone lost one of its oldest and greatest members when club Patron and former IRFU President Jimmy Nelson, died at the age of 92 on Friday 13 June, following a long illness.

Born in Belfast and raised in Portadown, he learned about the game at Royal School Armagh before moving back to Belfast and club rugby with Malone back in 1938.

As a rugged lock forward Jimmy played for Ulster and Ireland, toured with the Lions and donned the Barbarians jersey many times. He was a member of Ireland's 1948 Grand Slam winning team.

On retiring, the pipe-smoking Jimmy became a selector and administrator, spending 15 years as the IRFU treasurer before becoming president in 1982-83.

But despite his many honours he was still a real club man. Jimmy was still an avid supporter at Gibson Park where his ashes will be scattered following a private cremation at Roselawn. Jimmy was still among the crowd last season cheering on the First XV. He first made his name at the club in the second-row alongside Blair ‘Paddy’ Mayne. He was President of the club in the 1971/72 season and was still supporting the First XV last season.

He made his Ulster debut back in 1940 and progressed to the green jersey winning his first cap against Australia at Lansdowne Road in 1947.

Jimmy played in all of Ireland’s Championship-winning games in 1948 and 1949 and made the last of his 16 appearances for Ireland against France at Stade Colombes in 1954. That year he won four Test caps with the Karl Mullen-led Lions on their trip to New Zealand and Australia. On that tour, Jimmy famously scored two tries against the Wallabies with Jack Kyle another in a 24-3 win at the Sydney Cricket Ground. He played in 17 of that 32-game tour.

His last competitive game of rugby was in Ulster’s famous 5-5 draw with the touring All Blacks in 1955 before moving quickly into administration.

A chartered accountant by profession at the age of 22, he then entered into a partnership with the city centre firm Craig Gardiner & Co in 1954 and stayed there until he retired in 1981.

Jimmy served for 16 years in various roles at the Ulster Branch (IRFU) before becoming President, while still being treasurer, in 1968. He soon progressed to the Irish Rugby Football Union where he took on many administrative roles before being elevated to Presidential role in 1982. In 1984, he received the OBE for his services to rugby football.

The game will miss Jimmy, first and foremost as a player, then as an extremely competent servant behind the scenes where he was a tireless worker. It was said that Jimmy knew half of the population in Ireland, and the other half knew him.

Jimmy was pre-deceased by his first wife Frances and our sympathy goes to his second wife Maureen. The funeral will be a very private affair.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... elson.aspx

Stephen Ferris: There were dark days when I thought ‘Sh*t, I can’t make this’
The retired Ulster, Ireland and Lions flanker opens up about his all-too-short comeback from a debilitating ankle injury.
FOR STEPHEN FERRIS, a conversation with Declan Kidney in November 2012 is a crystalline echo.

The Ulster and Ireland flanker, who was forced to retire after a troubling ankle injury failed to heal, spoke with TheScore.ie, this week, about his fitness battles, dark days, a satisfying comeback and an all too early end to a brilliant, barnstorming career.

He recalls, “Deccie had spoken to me and said ‘Look Stevie, I know you want to play in this game [against South Africa] and you are going to be involved in the [upcoming] Argentina game’. He told me I didn’t have to play, against Edinburgh, to prove my match fitness. I had only played five or six games that season and Declan said if I really wanted to go back and play for Ulster, he’d allow it. He said ‘It’s your call but from our point of view, you’ll be involved in both games.

“My idea was to go up and get 60 minutes under my belt. I wish, now, that I had’ve listened to him and said ‘I’ll be okay and leave the Edinburgh game.’”

Ferris in pain as he makes way, against Edinburgh, at Ravenhill.

Ferris injured his right ankle under the force of a double-team tackle by Edinburgh’s Andy Titterrell and Allan Jacobs. Ulster physio Gareth Robinson and team doctor David Irwin helped him to limp off the Ravenhill pitch and the immediate prognosis was at least a month on the sidelines. There would be no Test appearances against the Springboks or Pumas. There would be no competitive rugby, in fact, for 17 months.

There were dark days and times when you thought ‘brad pitt, I can’t make this’,” he admits.

“The ankle has had a lot of trauma; three surgeries in the last couple of years, to fix different injuries. It was probably a year between my last operation and my comeback as I had to take it slow. Still, the swelling would come back. It still does, even though I haven’t played for two months now.”

From November 2012 until March 2014, Ferris progressed inches with the finish line seemingly miles away. “Every two or three weeks was a step forward but some weeks I would take two steps back. I moved from small, strengthening exercises to running on the Alter-G [anti-gravity] treadmill after six or seven months but any time I put weight on it, the ankle would react a bit.

“When I finally got over that hurdle and was able to run straight lines it felt like I was making progress. I’d feel fine until I did some side-stepping and the ankle would flare up again. It was very, very frustrating. I’m not a physio nor a doctor but it was more an accumulation of injuries than one specific. If it was as easy as a broken ankle, there would have been a set treatment plan and I would have been back.”

There were murmurs of comebacks on five separate occasions, with Ulster responding with variants of Ferris being close, near and not far away. Talk of a move to Japanese rugby came and went before the province offered him a six-month contract extension and, in January of this year, another. Payback came on in brutish, rousing fashion on 14 March as he came off the bench in a home win over Scarlets and had the crowd on their feet with a first-up thump on Gareth Davies. It felt like a moment; a catharsis from treatment room ghost to the rib-splintering Ferris of old.

:red: The Last Hurrah HERE

“I loved getting back,” he said. “It felt as if all the hard work — the 18 months of rehab, steps forwards and set-backs — had been worth it. At the same time, playing that game was tough on my ankle. I felt it digging in during the match it was sore.

“The idea was to give it 40 minutes in each game and see how it reacted but it kept digging in and snowballed a bit. I worked so hard to get back and play in that Saracens game and did fine for that 30 minutes but the ankle was sore again.

“I was missing training and it was swelling up. The [Ulster] lads said ‘You can’t keep doing this to yourself Stevie’. I went along to a surgeon and he said the ankle was not going to get better. Professional rugby would only make it worse.”

At the very least, Ferris says, he will no longer have to answer questions about his ankle or, from the casual supporters, the knee, elbow or shoulder. “You’d be sick of it after a while but, I suppose, whenever I saw Tommy Bowe, when he was injured, I’d ask what the craic was then ‘How’s the hip?’”

He adds, “[Ulster prop] Callum Black is getting married in England and I went to pick up a suit today. Instead of talking about the ankle, I could reminisce about old games and the good days. That was such a relief.”

Ferris can distinctly recall the moment, before the Rugby World Cup pool game against Australia, when Jerry Flannery handed out the Ireland jerseys to the matchday 22. The hooker would return to Ireland days after witnessing his country beat the Wallabies 15-6. He knew his tournament was over, Ferris notes, but, with tears in his eyes, urged his teammates to make a statement at Eden Park.

Beating a southern hemisphere team at ‘the home of rugby’, in a World Cup, ranks up there with Ferris’ Six Nations winners’ medal [clinched in Grand Slam style]. “Nobody expected us to win but we did it so convincingly in the end,” he says. “We dominated Australia in every aspect.”

Ferris takes Will Genia for a ride at RWC 2011.

The resounding image of the game was the blindside picking up Aussie scrum-half Will Genia like a ragdoll and marching him back towards his tryline. “At the time,” Ferris reflects. “I never realised I had lifted him up and back five yards. It was only when I saw the replays, and clips on YouTube, that I knew what I had done.

Another ref might have called it for being offside [from the Wallabies scrum put-in] but it was worth the risk. Eoin Reddan had snipped at Genia a few times so that was the red flag for me to get on him. I snapped in and drove him back and the boys came piling in behind me. I can just remember Donncha O’Callaghan shouting ‘Give it to him Fez, give it to him’. Soon after that and I was lying on his back and giving him banter.”

Ferris recalls the World Cup as the best time of his rugby-playing career, where he enjoyed every moment with ‘a special bunch of guys’. “We truly believed we could win the thing. We got to the quarter finals [against Wales] but never showed up on the day. If we had’ve played the day before, or after, I feel we would have made the semis. The Welsh defence, though, was unreal. Shane Williams held Sean O’Brien up over the line at one stage. It was one of those days.”

He continues, “As a professional rugby player, you never think you’ll have to retire. You definitely don’t have those thoughts when you’re in your 20s; in your prime. Even when David Wallace injured his knee, he may have been in his mid 30s but he was still world-class; still thinking he’d go to the World Cup and perform. You can’t let those thoughts [about injury] enter your head because, if you do, you’d dwell on it and it would wreck your head.”

Texts arrived from far and wide when Ferris made his official retirement call on 3 June. He was heartened by positive words by rugby fans, on Twitter and Facebook. Flannery and Ronan O’Gara — ‘Boys I’ve played with, fought with and lived the dream with me’ — were among the former teammates to wish him well. “The ones that matter most,” he declares, “were the words of support from my Mum and Dad, brothers and my girlfriend, Laura. They said ‘You’ve given it absolutely everything; 100%; for Ulster, Ireland and the Lions’. Most people would bite their arm off for the career I’ve had.

“I’ve no regrets. There was not a game I ever held back in. That might have worked against me in the end but I wouldn’t change the way I played for anything.”

Aged 28 and already well into planning for life after rugby, Ferris is involved with Clic Sargent, a charity for young people with cancer, and has finished a course at the Ulster Business School. He has also undertaken a Level 3 coaching course and will impart some knowledge on his former club side, Dungannon next season. Rugby fans may also spot him in the BBC television gantry at Ravenhill [now Kingspan Stadium] on a few occasions next season. He wants to take a break from the day-in, day-out of rugby but insists he will be a boisterous Ulster fan, like the rest of them, ‘for the next 10, 20, 30, 40 years’.

The ankle will never properly heal. Still, Ferris is stoic about his permanent reminder of his days on countless battlefields, from Stevenson Park to Eden Park and everywhere in between.

[The ankle] will definitely hamper me down the line. Every day I can feel it when I climb stairs. Walking up hills is a nightmare. Most people walk up hills flat-footed but I have to do it on my toes as I can’t close the front of the joint up. It’s like that deceleration when I’m running, the ankle bites and that’s where the inflammation comes.”

“I saw a line-up that somebody tweeted about a couple of weeks ago,” he recalls. “It was players who had either retired or were forced to retire last season. There was myself, Imanol Harinorduqoy and Dimitri Yachvili. Guys like that.

“It’s unbelievable but it has become such a physical, unforgiving sport. That’s why we love it, I suppose, and why we first picked up a rugby ball.”
http://www.thescore.ie/stephen-ferris-r ... 2-Jun2014/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Monday 16th June

OD.png
OD.png (59.5 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Ulster need ‘enforcers’ to stand up for 14/15
It’s that time of year when the real rugby in the Northern Hemisphere is slowing down and the squad analysis for next year begins in earnest.

This is likely to be one of the most interesting off season periods in quite a while. Each of the provinces face many unanswered questions that could be viewed from a variety of angles.

Who’ll replace BOD? Who’ll replace Humphreys? How will Connacht’s new found fortune be spent and how will the new signings integrate? Will Munster’s indigenous coaching team provide a new coherency, or the same old league ambivalence and European near misses?

That’s plenty of cannon fodder for the unwashed online masses!

But one of the questions that nobody has yet asked concerns our Northern neighbours and recruitment. Is Ulster’s pack looking a wee bit soft for next year?

The shock loss of the senior Humph to moneybags Gloucester is a huge blow. DH has led a revolution up north, and helped shaped the province into European heavyweights playing in front of a full house in a gleaming stadium. Perhaps most importantly, he’s seemingly played a big part in bringing in quality imports that have propelled Ulster forward. Time will tell how keenly this loss will be felt.

Enforcer

Let’s take the debate back to a higher level for a second. At its core, rugby places an emphasis aggression, intensity, physicality and strength. Look at the great teams of the past and reel off the names. Thorn, Johnson, Matfield, Shelford, Dallaglio – all enforcers, each a man you wouldn’t like to cross at the bottom of a ruck.

In ice hockey, a sport with little enough overlap with our beloved union, the role of the enforcer is hallowed. They’ve even made terrible Hollywood movies about it.

An enforcer’s job is simple.

You don’t need silky skills, you don’t need great athleticism, your job is to be violent. The enforcer is expected to respond aggressively, be the first man into a brawl and in particular, to ‘react’ (often with a fist) to violence against star players.

Leo Cullen & Alan Quinlan by another name basically.

Leo Cullen summed up in one image.

As the excellent WOC blog once put it:

"Great packs of forwards have a couple of lightning rods, explosive enforcer type characters who will ensure that nobody dishes out any unfair hurt on their team. In general nobody likes these players, except the fans of the team they play for".

Even currently, look around any of the great packs in Europe and the ‘enforcer’ type (or usually types) are easy to spot. Clermont have, an albeit ailing, Hines and Cudmore. Toulon carry Big Bad Bakkies, Ali Williams and JMFL.

Gorgodzilla & Lawes are other origins of the species. Tough, hard bar steward that wouldn’t think twice about walking on you at a ruck or smashing you with a slightly ‘mistimed’ tackle. Or eating your scrum half.

Snarling

Let’s take this back to the provinces, particularly the Champions Cup contenders.

At Leinster and Munster, it’s fairly easy to see where that dog comes from.

Down south, Paulie and Donners are both ‘men of the cloth’ so to speak, second rows that not many would cross. Add in D. Ryan and POM, the latter has come good on his early hardman promise this year, and you’ve a pack with some snarling aggression. Whatever about ‘gameplan’ (or even ‘backplay’!) Munster won’t be pushed around, that’s for sure.

In Leinster, while Leo is a huge loss to the ‘enforcer quotient’ there are plenty of young pups ready to take the mantle up. Ruddock, most notably, fills this role with aplomb, particularly at ruck time. Although less overt than a POM for example, he’s ridiculously powerful (as illustrated by his rip from three Glasgow players in the Rabo final). He also seems to like a scrap.

Despite Mike McCarthy’s recent Rabo histrionics, he too slots into an aggressor role through choke tackles, first up tackling, some ‘questionable’ rucking and general leadership, despite his size. Add in new boy Kane Douglas (all 6’8 of him), a noted powerhouse, the sheer ferocity/borderline nature of Healy and a small matter of the Tullow Tank (a man who’s no stranger to unbridled aggression) and there’s plenty there to fill the gap.

Picking up the slack

And then we look up north. If Leo is a big loss for Leinster (despite his form last year), then Johann is a huge one for the white knights. Ulster have struggled slightly in big games in the past few years for a variety of reasons (the Leinster Rabo knockouts, Northampton at home and Sarries in Twickers come to mind). The forwards seem to have turned the corner this year, after being slightly powder puff in 12/13, but the losses will make a big dent.

Ulster’s starting pack next year, fitness pending, could be:

Murphy, Best, Fitzpatrick/Herbst, VDM, Tuohy, Henderson, Henry, Big Nuck Wulliams.

Other than Tuohy, where’s the bite? Henry is an excellent, international level 7 with the engine to compete with anyone. But does he strike fear into opposition players like, say, an O’Brien or Gorgodze?

Unlucky with injury during the 6N last year, DT offers Ulster a snarling sniper type in the pack. His fitness is key to success next year.

Williams is sheer physicality, but as we saw in the Rabo Ravenhill game, perhaps doesn’t have the subtlety that many great enforcers have, and doesn’t influence the game enough away from his carrying.

Tuohy certainly fits the bill, and keeping him fit will be very important to Ulster. Baby face Henderson certainly has the sheer power to become this type of ‘lightning rod’ player for Ulster, but at the moment does more in the loose than the tight for me. This will come with age, and next year, Big Iain needs to come into his own to provide some aggression back up.

New man VDM is an unknown to me, and a bit of Saffer beef to replace Muller would be perfect. At 18st 2lbs and 6’5, he’s more Mike McCarthy than Damien Browne, but we’ll trust Humph’s recruitment and reserve judgement until he arrives.

Of course, big backs like Mccloskey, and particularly Trimble and Marshall can take up some of the slack here too. Andy is always a good man for a scrap and looks in fine form.

Overall, this period of ‘transition’ has crept up on Ulster somewhat, particularly the Humphreys loss. It could be a long year if some of these young bucks don’t turn into mean-spirited bar steward. Take Henry, Best and potentially Henderson or Tuohy out of that first choice pack, and it doesn’t look too capable of just-inside-the-law shenanigans and getting through the tight work that often defines Rabo success.

Any chance we could get a copy of ‘NHL Big Hits & Injuries’ for the team dressing room?
http://ovaldigest.com/index.php/ulster- ... tand-1415/

Ireland huff and puff their way to series win in Argentina Gerry T
The net effect was informative rather than inspiring for head coach Joe Schmidt
Any season that contains a Six Nations title has to be considered a good one, and the first campaign under Joe Schmidt was duly rounded off with a first series win in Argentina on Saturday. Yet there was the nagging sense that the real action was elsewhere, and not just with regard to events in Brazil but in contrast to concurrent tours as well.

In warm, clammy conditions at the decaying if atmospheric rather than seething Estadio José Fierro in Tucumán, Ireland huffed and puffed but rarely looked like blowing a younger, less experienced Pumas side away with a win which was even more laboured than in the first Test. The net effect was informative rather than inspiring, with 29 players used over the two tests including half a dozen new caps yet no noticeable expansion of the squad’s strength in depth. What positives are to be gleaned will perhaps be more evident in the longer term than the short term.

“I’ve learned a little bit about some players I didn’t know much about,” said Scmidt, who tellingly and pointedly added: “I think a few players are a little bit shell-shocked at what the level is and sometimes when you have had that shock you get the head down and you work a bit harder because you know that you are going to have to be a little bit better prepared next time. If that is the outcome of what was a disappointing performance in patches today then I’d be pretty happy if that can be the outcome.”

Heavy weather
Considering Ireland had 74 per cent of the possession and 79 per cent of the territory, they made heavy weather of eventually subduing these younger Pumas who looked far more alert to the possibilities off turnovers or when the play became broken. In a remarkably similar pattern to a week earlier, Ireland imposed themselves from the start, were unhinged by the Pumas’ willingness to run unexpectedly from their own line through lively scrumhalf Martín Landajo, before regrouping and pulling clear. Even then, and as was the case a week before Ireland coughed up a late consolation try to their hosts.

Ireland won all 11 of their scrums and all 13 of their lineouts, whereas the Pumas lost four of their 15 throws and two of their five scrums. Coupled with the Pumas’ ill-discipline at the breakdown and flirting with the hindmost foot offside line (something they were rather more successful with) this also ensured a 12-6 penalty count to Ireland.

Even though the Pumas lived off the kind of meagre rations they’d never tolerate in one of their steak houses, and Andrew Trimble managed to keep Manuel Montero in check if illegally on one occasion to spend 10 minutes in the bin, the nimble-footed Joaquín Tuculet and right-winger Lucas González Amorosino were each deservedly rewarded with tries.

Admittedly, the Irish back three all looked dangerous too, with Rob Kearney making some strong carries. Ireland made nine line breaks, yet converted only two into scores and both were scored by the line-breaker himself – Simon Zebo goose-stepping through close to a line-out drive after Eoin Reddan had cleverly created the space, and Iain Madigan sealing the win with a trademark show-and-go try after replacing Johnny Sexton who, like Devin Toner, was taken off with concussion.

As this suggests, Ireland’s support play struggled to keep moves alive or recycle quickly. Rhys Ruddock, singled out by both Schmidt and Paul O’Connell, was the pick of the pack in providing some real go-forward momentum, Jamie Heaslip grew into the game with some strong carrying.

Lacked penetration
Johnny Sexton did many things well, and was full of invention, but some of his kicking from hand was off beam, and he didn’t attack the line quite as anticipated. Outside him, though, the Darren Cave-Fergus McFadden midfield partnership lacked penetration, with each looking out of position.

Admitting he was as nervous as ever before the game, Schmidt said: “Maybe if you get comfortable it’s not a good thing because I haven’t got comfortable. Maybe if I do get comfortable we might play better, I’m not sure. I’m starting to get to know players more, I’m knowing a little bit more about what is required but at the same time this is the first time I have taken a team on tour.”

Also lamenting the way Ireland failed to hold onto the ball, an even more underwhelmed O’Connell admitted: “It’s very frustrating and disappointing because one of the things we want to do is to keep progressing, keep making little steps all of the time and we probably didn’t do that over the last two weeks.”

The hoary old chestnut of a long season was not an excuse in O’Connell’s mind. “I think we’re well looked after and the person with the most games has 26 or 27 played. I wouldn’t put it down to fitness, certainly not. We were the professional side, they weren’t.”

The captain maintained that working under Schmidt made it a rewarding tour, albeit with the rider: “I wish we’d been a bit more aggressive with one another, driven standards a little bit more. That’s what good teams do, that’s what tight teams do and it’s a little bit of getting to know one another over the past two weeks and that probably showed a little bit on the pitch.”

“For everyone on this tour it’s a big, big learning curve; even for a lot of the guys who played in the Six Nations who have worked a lot with Joe, there’s a lot of guys who have two weeks working with Joe under their belts that they didn’t have before. It is exciting being in Ireland camp and working with him. So, while the results and performances have been disappointing, I think there’s been a bit of learning done.”

“To win a Six Nations is fantastic, lifting a trophy,” he added reflecting on 2013-14 as a whole. “I’d rather have done better here, but that’s life.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1833146

WRU survives vote of no confidence
Welsh Rugby Union group chief executive Roger Lewis
The Welsh Rugby Union has emphatically seen off a vote of no confidence following an extraordinary general meeting in Port Talbot on Sunday.

Two resolutions voted on were that the WRU board of directors had not been acting in the best interests of Welsh rugby, while a second had called for a vote of no confidence in the current board.

But only four club representatives voted for the no confidence resolution, with 462 opposing it and 18 abstaining.

The first resolution failed to pass when 94 per cent of the delegates voted by 453 votes in favour of the WRU. There were only 18 against, and 13 abstentions.

A total of 39 WRU member clubs and Wales' four professional regions had supported calls for an EGM - the WRU's first since 2007 - with the protest driven by former WRU chief executive David Moffett.

Moffett gained sufficient backing for the meeting to be called, but it ended after almost four hours of debate in a crushing defeat for him and his supporters.

Disaffected clubs had claimed the WRU board of directors were not overseeing Welsh rugby with best interests of the game at heart.

A number of issues raised by protesting clubs under the first resolution were highlighted by proposed league restructuring.

And the WRU has agreed to hold a ballot of all clubs to reach an agreement on whether a proposed new national league structure of the amateur game will go ahead, or whether the existing structure will be retained for next season.

WRU chairman David Pickering said: "Today there has been an overwhelming vote of confidence in the Welsh Rugby Union.

"The clubs of Welsh rugby have exercised their constitutional right to question the governing body, and we have taken part in a full and frank debate.

"Welsh rugby is continuing to evolve, and now we must work together to make sure we build on our successes of the past and face up to our challenges of the future."

And WRU group chief executive Roger Lewis added: "The incredible support shown for the WRU gives us the confidence to go forward with energy and focus to continue to evolve the game in Wales.

"The discussion in the meeting covered a range of issues, and we will ensure that we will engage fully with our clubs to find the right solutions.

"We now want to focus on the business of running Welsh rugby as both the professional and amateur levels of the game continue to evolve.

"We have all learnt lessons from this debate, and we will ensure the dialogue we have engaged in today continues to help us develop and improve."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 55850.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Monday 16th June

PART II

.,.png
.,.png (22.25 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
Five Years of Hurt
That was a tough series for Ireland wasn’t it? And we won it – the first and second test wins in Argentina. Argentina is a tough-ass place to go in June – long journey, different seasons, no-one, no-one, speaks English, plied with Malbec, tough local backrow forwards smelling blood looking to make a name. And all after a seriously intense season – we’ll remember this year for the Championship win in Joe Schmidt’s first season, but when Paul O’Connell comments on the intensity of the Schmidt regime from day one, you can be sure, its physically and mentally demanding. Its ten months since Schmidt first got his hands on these players, and in this, the final action of the season, he has made sure he has got his pound of flesh, with no let-off in the demands – as high as ever.

And rightly so – in the weekend England assured us that they will be RWC contenders (with Chris Ashton’s WINNING try! What? They lost? So why did he do that stupid dive? … never mind .. prat), South Africa showed us the standards we will need to attain, and we don’t have long to get there – no wonder the Milky Bar Kid is in a rush. Fatigue can wait, there are trophies to win – and its not the Guillermo Brown Cup he cares about.

So short-term, results-wise, the tour was a success and Joe Schmidt got more time with the squad. What about the longer term planning for RWC15? Well, we learned four things from this tour:

1.In the month Fez retired, Rhys Ruddock showed his credentials as an international backrow – with SOB already awaiting re-integration to a high-functioning unit, this is a “good problem” for Schmidt. With injury rates as they are, having Ruddock (and Diack and Murphy) around is useful

2.Brian O’Driscoll and Dorce’s partnership will be very tough to replace – more of this later

3.There is room for Zimon Zeebs in a Joe Schmidt technocrat rugby team – we finally got a glimpse of his game-breaking in the second test. Andy Trimble and Little Bob are a little samey if you want to beat the best, Zebo can offer the *groans* X-factor that we might need. Although, we scored plenty of tries in the Six Nations - we aren’t fully bought into the idea that we need flair for flairs sake, but Zebo is a great player and its great to see him involved

4.Rodney Ah Here. Ah here

Now, to the centres. We said ahead of the tour the biggest to-do was to start the post-BOD process. After a decade of Dorce-and-BOD plenty, we might be realizing how tough its going to be to replace not just the greatest player in our history, but his reliable sidekick as well – any player wearing 13 is already going to be damned by “well, he isn’t Brian” comment, but then any breakdown in communication with their centre partner will be magnified into a “well, where is Dorce” situation.

Darren Cave played well in the first test, but had a bit of a shocker in Tucuman – the Irish midfield was pourous looking all game, and then not having the pace to finish off the try felt terminal for his international ambitions – even for us used to the one-paced Dorce/BOD combo, Cave looked like he was running in clay. Outside him, Ferg was gamey but doesn’t really have the distributive skills for an international 13. Bamm-Bamm was withdrawn early in the first test with (another) possible concussion, and hasn’t quite got a Plan B into his game yet. So we are 0 from 3 when it comes to new centres – and, as we said before the tour, the point of the tour was really to start this process, so its basically been a bit of a fail in that regard, and the games before RWC15 are slipping by.

The next to audition cohort is likely to go be Kiwi attacking talent with dodgy defence Jared Payne, pure-bred rosey cheeked bosh merchant Robbie Henshaw, and creative youngster Stuart Olding, who will all likely get a callup in November, and hopefully gametimes - its getting very late for experimentation, but desperate times etc.

Its very easy to say we need to get behind BOD (and soon to be Dorce’s) successors, but we need to know who they are first – we sucked deeply on the addictive weed that was BOD to get our Championship win, but we are liable to pay now, and time before RWC15 is short. In 2012, we exhorted folk to stand behind Keith Earls, be aware he was likely to make a few defensive clangers, but give him time to grow in the 13 jersey – we did, and he did, but then he was clearly the best option. Now its not as clear.

If we were betting folk, and we wouldn’t ever do something that is so abonimable to God, we think Joe might decide on a Dorce/Keith Earls centre partnership for the RWC and play it in the Six Nations – they are known international quantities and dovetailed well in 2012, and they are the lowest risk to meet a short-term need. If there is a player to play their way into that base scenario, its probably Payne – Olding is likely to be backup fodder until he breaks into the Ulster starting XV, and Henshaw is very raw. Which makes the whole “future” debate essentially about RWC19 – for RWC15, we just need to get something in place, and quickly.

Cnetre-wise, all we can say after Argentina is that Ferg is an emergency option (at best), Cave probably doesn’t have it and Marshall needs to put his health first. Mind you, no-0ne said this was going to be easy.
http://whiffofcordite.com/2014/06/16/fi ... s-of-hurt/

THE JOE SHOW : END OF SEASON 1
Game of Thrones, Love/Hate, House of Cards, Orange Is The New Black, Mad Men – when we rugby fans take a break from the box kicks and focus on the box sets, these are just a tiny sample of the quality offerings out there for us to enjoy.

So as the long August to June slog that is the Irish pro rugby season finally comes to a close, such shows make for an easy analogy now that we can finally cast judgement over the first definable time period of Joe Schmidt's reign as Ireland coach.

Did we enjoy all the drama that unfolded before us? Were we happy with the character development? Is the plot nicely set up for future series?

I could go on ad nauseam with these references...but tempting though that might be, I'll put a pin in them and perhaps at a future date I'll put them all up for you to stream on Netflix. For now, you get the idea.

Taking this episode match in isolation, when I compare what I was looking for with what I saw in the second test at Cancha Del Atletico, Tucumán, I have to say I was disappointed. This is what I laid out in my preview :

1, a solid 80-minute defensive display that shuts down the considerable threats posed by the Argentine backline after facing them last week, and 2, the ability to turn all the fancy white-board forged moves we used in the first quarter last week into scores so that maybe the result can be put beyond doubt relatively early so we can get some of the prospects out off the bench early.

To put it another way, I didn't want to see a repeat of the bad things from the first test, and as it turned out, I'm not sure how much more of a replica of the first test they could have produced, despite the introduction of so many from the successful Six Nations campaign.

Argentina scored the first and last tries mostly thanks to their back three, it took an age for us to turn our offensive superiority into scores, Sexton went off early – all it would have taken was an interception try and you'd be hard pressed to tell the two matches apart!

OK – maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but it definitely did not look as though we had learned too much from the previous encounter and simply plodded ahead the same way, and there was a temptation to go reaching for that oft-used quote from Albert Einstein about repetition and stupidity.

Possibly I could look to defend the display using what had to be the most annoyingly over-used expression by Sky (and trust me, that's against stiff competition) whenever they cover a rugby match in Argentina. Apparently teams who go there have to put up with a “hostile environment”. What does that even mean? Are they greeted on the pitch by a guard of honour made up of balaclava-wearing guerrillas wielding kalashnikovs?

But on a more serious note...can we really look at this one 80-minute showing on its own to draw any reasonable conclusions for the Irish team?

In November 2013 just before the Guinness Series I posted another preview complete with expectations called “Joe Schmidt : The First 217 Days” in which I did a little more than calculate the time to elapse between that first game with Samoa and Saturday's second test. I also listed three areas to be re-examined at the end of that timeframe so I guess now is as good a time as any to do just that.

Here's a summary of what I was looking for...
DEFENCE

SET PIECES

A DEFINITIVE STYLE

Note how I didn't put “Six Nations triumph” on my wish list! But for now, let's not harp on too much on that because we've fallen into that trap of milking too much out of one successful campaign before.

On defence, things definitely have not been great for the past couple of weeks. This is not helped by using different combinations at centre. Another thing I don't want to harp on is the loss of BOD, but when it comes to the defensive end of the Irish set up it's hard to avoid...the success of our overall D depends heavily on the 12/13 axis.

Here, Joe Schmidt has two choices. Does he use the upcoming matches to try several different combinations until he finds one that works or does he nail his colours to the mast and name a dream team pairing right away? Well the second option wasn't made easy by D'Arcy missing the tour, but if a new partnership is to be forged they will need game time together.

Still...there were many merits with the duos used in this series...last week, we had Luke Marshall and Darren Cave who of course know each other well at provincial level.. This time, the pairing of Cave at 12 and McFadden at 13 had potential because they both had the versatility to swap positions. But until we settle on a combination that can put in some serious game time together, we may find that throughout the course of a game the opposition will find ways through, and the tries that this under-strength Pumas side were able to score against us highlight this need.

But overall on the defensive side, things over the ten tests since November have been pretty consistent, with the choke tackle getting us out of jail on multiple occasions. Still a work in progress though there has definitely been some progress.

As for set pieces, well what can I say other than Joe had better find a decent replacement for John Plumtree, one that Paul O'Connell can work with as efficiently. There's no doubt that this has been the cornerstone of all our success and I don't just mean the lineout/mauls either, though they have been exemplary.

Finally we come to the “definitive style” thing, and this is where I see Saturday's performance differently. Sure, we could have adapted our game to beat that particular Puma 23 and if we had done, it could have been achieved pretty handily. But should we be preparing for an Argentina side like this or for the much, much greater tests that are coming down the line?

What I have seen over the past two weeks is the next evolution of the Joe Schmidt “power play” game. It still relies heavily on the front foot ball and often when it is chucked out wide you'll see the ball trickled through from the outside channels.

But now we see an increasing reliance on either the scrum half or first receiver passing the ball back inside to where the runner, more often than not coming at pace, can either exploit a gap or suck in a swathe of defenders. And if this ploy doesn't reap instant rewards (like it did for the Zebo try), we are now going much more to the cross-field kick and it's starting to pay off.

We can't expect to try to run a style of play like this by just flicking a switch and using it in the matches that “matter”. They need to be tried in a real match situation and you can bet that Joe Schmidt & co now have laptops full to bursting with footage from every angle over the past two weeks as they hammer out the next stage of the evolution of this type of offence.

No, it did not reap the first-half rewards it should have done in either of these two tests. But to those who want to beat Joe with that stick I say this...wait and see how we get on against the Boks and Wallabies in November before you judge too harshly.

One thing I have to single out from this one match is the referee. As if I didn't have enough to slag Pascal Gaüzère about when he informs captains of the need to use “dee-see-pleen”, but now he can't tell the difference between the numbers 13, 14 and 15 when they are being communicated to him. Perhaps his perceived lack of confidence comes from the language barrier, though that's not a good enough excuse at test level.

Where Pascal really annoyed me in this match was actually in the whole area of dee-see-pleen. The final penalty count was 12 for Argentina, 6 to us and what's more a couple were waived off for our advantage so the difference should be higher. This was in no way reflected in the 1-1 tie in the yellow card column, and I am convinced Ireland would have had more points on the board with an extra man. But we can only hope that he won't feature too much in our big matches down the line.

As for impressive Irish displays on the day, well I have to say Rhys Ruddock was superb in the loose, in fact his consistent gain-line smashing almost had you saying “Seanie who?” Another who stood out was Dave Kilcoyne, in fact I was surprised to see him taken off for Jack McGrath – if he wasn't injured it would have been a good boost for him to get a full 80.

Another Munster man who has done well in the past couple of weeks is Simon Zebo. I had a critical eye on him for this tour and I reckon he has done enough to show he belongs in the setup, perhaps without exactly nailing down a starting jersey, but I'd definitely like to see him involved in November.

Last but not least we have Ian Madigan, or “The Cameo Kid” as I call him based on his displays off the bench throughout May and June. Took his try extremely well and definitely ended his rollercoaster of a season on the up. Needs to establish himself as Leinster's number one starter if his long term future is to be at 10, though I have a feeling we could be seeing him more often at 12 down the line.

What say we begin to bring this writeup, and indeed this season of writeups, to a close, shall we.

From the punditry and analysis of the experts on TV to the puns and analogies of bloggers like myself, there has been much opinion put forth about the game of rugby union on this island since the season began way back when.

Legends may have retired (by accident or design), mistakes may have been made, and most certainly we have been heavily affected by decisions made elsewhere. But when all is taken into account, I hope we can all at least agree say that overall, things are still very much on the way up.

To go back to my TV show theme, I for one have to say I'm hooked on The Joe Show and can't wait to see what happens in Season 2, though of course as we all know the big twist is set to come in the World Cup at the beginning of Season 3. Sadly I don't have any spoilers to leak to you just yet, but let's just hope it has something to do with us going at least one better than RWC2011.

In the meantime, many thanks to Joe and everyone involved in the national team, including those at Under 20 and “Emerging” levels who are having their own successes as well.
http://www.harpinonrugby.net/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Monday 16th June

PART III

Ulster Rugby Confirm Pre-season Friendlies
Ulster Rugby will kick their 2014/15 season off with pre-season friendlies against Exeter Chiefs and Leinster Rugby.

The first pre-season friendly will take place at Kingspan Stadium on Friday 22nd August, kick off 19.30. Ulster will host current LV=Cup Champions Exeter for the first time. The Sandy Park team who defeated Northampton 15-8 to clinch the Championship will act as vital preparation for the Ulstermen before they face another big year in the League and in Europe.

The following week, Ulster will travel to Donnybrook for their second pre-season friendly against PRO12 Champions Leinster on Friday 29th August, kick off 19.00.

To guarantee your place at Ulster v Exeter Chiefs; 11 competitive League matches and at European Rugby Champions Cup home games against Toulon, Leicester Tigers and Scarlets you can purchase a 2014/15 Season Ticket by clicking here.

Tickets for Ulster v Exeter Chiefs will go on sale on Ticketmaster.ie and the Ulster Rugby website on Monday 23rd June at 10am.

Pre-season Match Ticket Prices

Grandstand 1 (Blocks 2-8): £20

Grandstand 2 (Blocks 1 & 9): £18

Family Stand & Memorial End Stand: £16 / Child: £11

East & West Terrace (Standing): £15 / Child £9

Family & Memorial End Terrace (Standing): £13 / Child £7
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... dlies.aspx
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 17th June

Still no closer to finding O'Driscoll successor as big questions remain unanswered Tony W
Darren Cave tries to find a way past Argentina’s Lucas González Amorosino during Saturday’s victory in Tucuman
In some ways it was mission accomplished – two Test series wins, the set-pieces imperious, game time achieved across the board – and yet I doubt I am alone in experiencing a very hollow feeling.

It wouldn't be stretching it to suggest that the Argentinian games left more questions than answers for Joe Schmidt at the end of a long and rewarding season in his first term in charge. Our midfield dilemma remains unsolved. Saturday's second Test win was very much in the same vein of the previous week's success although it had nowhere near the same level of precision in execution.

We were okay in Resistencia, but we weren't even that in Tucuman. Given the heavy artillery proliferating the side, this six-point win against a shadow Puma line-up was underwhelming to say the least. Schmidt has one, perhaps two gaping holes to fill in the middle of the field and despite a myriad of options he has neither the time nor I suspect the inclination to go down the experimental route.

So where to from here? On the evidence of the two games, while no prospective candidate let himself down, I have seen nothing of substance to suggest that Luke Marshall, Darren Cave or Fergus McFadden are the solution, either individually or combined.

Against that I am 100pc certain that Ian Madigan has everything required to make it as a top-class inside-centre at the highest level. It is a decision yearning to be made by Matt O'Connor, by Schmidt and by the player himself. Apparently O'Connor is currently trawling the NRL (Australian Rugby League) for possible centre recruits when in Jimmy Gopperth, Madigan and Gordon D'Arcy at 10, 12 and 13 respectively, he already has a top quality combination in place.

Yes, it will take a little bit of adapting for D'Arcy to move one slot out at this stage in a great career but knowing the player and his attitude, it is the best permutation Leinster have at this point in time.

Noel Reid and Brendan Macken are both knocking on the door, but they're not ready just yet. From an Irish perspective, so many names in addition to the above are regularly being trotted out. Think Robbie Henshaw, Jared Payne, Keith Earls, Tommy Bowe and Luke Fitzgerald.

Payne could well be the man, but he must also be considered as cover, along with Henshaw and Craig Gilroy, should anything untoward happen to Rob Kearney between now and the World Cup. Nobody but the man above knows who will wear 'that' shirt come the autumn.

We got a little glance in the Pro12 final of what Madigan and D'Arcy could offer. Schmidt is no one's fool and will undoubtedly be talking to both Leinster and Ireland players in the coming weeks. On the plus side, Jack McGrath is now ready to challenge both of our top props on either side of Rory Best.

It's early days yet, but as with Madigan at 12, given the relevant game time and experience, a front row of Cian Healy, Best and McGrath would make for some combination.

Iain Henderson is now a definite front-runner in a second-row queue that includes Paul O'Connell, Devin Toner, Mike McCarthy, Dan Tuohy, Donnacha Ryan and Dave Foley – probably in that order. Henderson is now a serious challenger to Toner for that place alongside the skipper.

The other big forward performances came in the back row where Robbie Diack, Rhys Ruddock and Jordi Murphy all added to their respective claims.
Beyond that, save for Simon Zebo, I am struggling, although Eoin Reddan is still the optimum scrum-half when this Ireland side hits that high-tempo gear. He was very good again in Tucuman. Kieran Marmion and Luke McGrath are sniffing around but, like Reid and Macken, are not quite ready.

Dave Kearney and Andrew Trimble played out of their skins in this year's Six Nations but for me, when fit and fully firing, Bowe, Gilroy and Earls on the right with Zebo and Fitzgerald on the left make for better attacking alternatives. Zebo was outstanding in Argentina.

With Sean O'Brien and Peter O'Mahony also set to return, we have a serious unit in the making, but we're still no closer to finding a successor to Brian O'Driscoll.

Les Kiss too will be another perturbed over the summer break but you can guarantee that he will come up with a solution to the surprisingly porous defence caught by the simplest of inside steps so many times on the drift. Kiss is a very under-rated cog in this Irish rugby machine.

So the end-of-year report, following seven wins in 10 games including Six Nations and Admiral Browne Cups, reads 'good but still much room for improvement'. Headmasters generally get their way. This one will for sure. -
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/s ... 56679.html

Schmidt learned plenty about his players in Argentina Gerry T
There were winners and losers on this tour, as always, although mostly it seemed players re-affirmed their standings
Of all the the emerging young players on the tour of Argentina, the one who made the biggest impression on Joe Schmidt was flanker Rhys Ruddock
It was a small, relatively throwaway remark but it was worth noting nonetheless. “This was my first tour,” Joe Schmidt reminded us, and you forget, for all his trophy hauling, 2013-14 was not only another successful campaign culminating in Ireland’s first series win abroad for 35 years, but his first as a Test head coach.

Maybe it’s because he’s been in Ireland for four seasons now, but Schmidt seems to have been coaching Ireland longer.

Maybe it was the taxing tour schedule too which allowed for just one down day, eight flights and 26 coach drives for the squad in a fortnight.

There was also all the analysis and homework (the dossiers on these young largely unknown Pumas were as extensive as if they’d been frontline All Blacks or England).

Training had been kept to the minimum, all done and dusted in 54 minutes last Thursday, but even disciples such as Jamie Heaslip, who described the tour as “intense”, and Johnny Sexton looked weary in their execution on Saturday though both rolled their sleeves up admirably.

In any event, by Saturday evening, Schmidt and his players looked like they needed a break and one ventures come a six or seven-week campaign for the World Cup, he’ll have learned to ease off a little more.

You sometimes wonder if Schmidt might be too driven for his own good too. Of course, his demanding nature and unstinting work ethic is part of what makes him the hugely successful coach he’s been, but while the players are taking four weeks off, he is affording himself a mere three weeks.

Off to New Zealand
“A good winter; I’m off to New Zealand,” he said when wished a good summer, and given he will stay on for three weeks after spending four days with the Under-20s. “I’ll just do the tour for three weeks around home and then back to Dublin, roll the sleeves up and start again, see how we go.”

After his wintery summer, Schmidt’s mind is already on the visits of South Africa and Australia, as well as Georgia, next autumn.

Reflecting on a one-from-three return last November to six wins out of seven since, Schmidt said: “you can feel that the bar has been set high for next season. But we have got to be prepared to work hard enough to make sure that we gets somewhere near that bar and we didn’t on Saturday.

“I’d love to be able to continue that sequence (of wins). It is not often you get on a five- match winning sequence and watching South Africa you have got to be nervous about the quality of the performance that is going to be required to topple them, and I will be watching the rest of their games through the championship with interest.”

Most of all, Schmidt learned plenty about his players and inevitably there were winners and losers on this tour, as always, although mostly it seemed players re-affirmed their standing.

David Kilcoyne carried dynamically at times in his second Test start last Saturday but Jack McGrath cemented his standing as back-up loosehead to Cian Healy, both with his excellent all-round performance in the first Test and his impact off the bench in the second.

Iain Henderson had some good game time, and continues to look a serious Irish international of the future but perhaps the biggest tour winner was Rhys Ruddock.

Both Schmidt and Paul O’Connell were effusive in their praise of Ruddock for gaining yards he had no right to gain in the contact area. In the modern game that is arguably the most valuable commodity of all, all the more so given the comparative dearth of such Irish players compounded by the premature retirement of Stephen Ferris.

Superb lineout ability
Of the half dozen new caps, and helped by being the only starter of the six, ironically another blindside, Robbie Diack, showed up best with his superb lineout ability and mobility around the park. Of the other five, by all accounts Noel Reid trained very well, whereas Rodney Ah You and to a lesser extent Kieran Marmion may have been reminded of how far they need to travel yet.

Simon Zebo, who along with O’Connell ended up being the only players to complete 160 minutes, must have impressed a doubting Schmidt and the rest of the coaching staff with his improved defence and work-rate as well as reminding them of his undoubted X factor.

That said, for Schmidt’s liking especially, he still needs to be sharper and more effective around the breakdown.

It still seems a pity Tommy O’Donnell wasn’t out here, but it was good to see Ian Madigan make it and take on the responsibility to steer Ireland home last Saturday. Hopefully the season just past will ultimately have been a profitable interruption, because game-breaking talents like his are rare.

Neither Madigan himself nor Schmidt appear to regard him as an inside centre option, yet it is a problem position. With Gordon D’Arcy undergoing a shoulder operation, opportunity knocked for Luke Marshall.

All the component parts of a very good Test inside centre are there, yet three missed tackles in the first Test underlined his continuing rawness in defence, and there was also a reminder, albeit medically cleared, of his history with concussion.

Outside Marshall, Darren Cave had a good first Test in his favoured position of outside centre, but like Fergus McFadden, who has made himself into a high class operator on the wing, looked out of position in the second Test. Put another way, in the post Brian O’Driscoll era, D’Arcy lost no ground in his absence here, and no-one is much the wiser as to who will be the midfield combination against South Africa in November or the pivotal World Cup game against France 16 months down the track.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1834399

Rugby technique: When good chop tackles go bad
Matías Cortese was yellow carded for a dangerous tackle against Ireland on Saturday.
Argentina produced some high-quality tackling in the two Tests against Ireland, with some notable exceptions.
IT WAS INTERESTING to hear Sky Sports commentator Shane Horgan outlining the fact that Joe Schmidt and Conor Murray had both spoken to him about their concern over Argentina’s chop tackling ahead of the second Test on Saturday.

The Pumas deserve major credit for their defensive performance over the course of the two games in Resistencia and Tucumán, but there was certainly an element of the illegal and dangerous in isolated instances.

Early in the second Test, former Leinster wing Horgan mentioned that Ireland had some issues in this area, and it seems likely that Schmidt had asked referee Pascal Gaüzère to keep a close eye on Argentina’s low tackling.

Before we go any further, let us stress that there is no intention to belittle the Pumas’ achievements in repeatedly frustrating the Ireland attack; some of their chop tackling was superb.

That said, it was good to see Matías Cortese sent to the sin bin for his dangerous challenge on Dave Kilcoyne in the 8th minute. This was an extreme example of a chop tackle gone wrong, with the Liceo RC man simply throwing his body at the feet of Kilcoyne.
Ireland’s cries of unhappiness at the tackle were immediately audible over Gaüzère’s microphone, and the Frenchman didn’t hesitate in producing the yellow card. This is an exaggerated example of tackling without using one’s arms, but it’s an increasingly common tactic in the modern game.

Watching the alternate angle of Cortese’s challenge is almost comical, were it not for the potentially disastrous effects on the health of Kilcoyne’s knees and lower legs. Luckily, the Munster prop bounces right over the hooker, but it could have been so much worse.
It’s not only Argentinian players who have shown an inclination not to make any effort to wrap their arms when making low tackles; this is something we have seen creeping into the European game, as well as Super Rugby.

Fortunately, referees seem to be clued into highlighting and punishing the more noticeable incidents. The challenge below – in a clash between the Cheetahs and Blues earlier this year – led to a penalty against the defending side and provides a less extreme example.
There is no intention to climb aboard a high horse here; we fully understand that low tackling takes serious bravery. Rugby players so often put their heads where many outside the game would not even dream of.

It is, of course, laudable that players will literally put their bodies on the line for the defensive success of their teams, but sometimes those same players may need to be defended from themselves and their intense desire to win.

We often speak of the requirement for players to ‘wrap their arms’ in the tackle, even though there is no direct mention of that term in the IRB’s lawbook. However, the section on dangerous play and misconduct does forbid the practice of no-arms tackling.

10.4 (g) Dangerous charging. A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without trying to grasp that player. Sanction: Penalty kick.

In the examples above, there is clearly danger for the players carrying the ball, but there is also risk involved for the tackler. Concussion is a huge area of discussion in the game at present, and with that in mind, tackling without the arms is a major worry.

The sheer physicality of rugby is one of the biggest draws of the sport and something that is rightly valued. Still, ensuring that the players’ health and safety is taken care of is paramount, meaning it was encouraging to see Gaüzère taking action in Tucumán.

Clinically carried out chop tackling is always a welcome sight, but players diving at knees and shins with their arms tucked at their sides is something the game can do without.
http://www.thescore.ie/rugby-technique- ... 3-Jun2014/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 17th June

PART II

Gilroy survives as Ireland shuffle pack
Ulster's representation in Emerging Ireland's starting line-up for tomorrow afternoon's IRB Nations Cup date with Uruguay in Bucharest has been trimmed from five to three.

In Friday's series opener against the hopelessly outclassed Russians, the Ulster players on the pitch at kick-off were right-wing Craig Gilroy, inside-centre Stuart McCloskey, scrum-half Paul Marshall, loose-head Callum Black and hooker Niall Annett.

But with his team having chalked up 66 unanswered points before Welsh referee Ian Davies abandoned play after 45 minutes due to an electrical storm, head coach Dan McFarland has opted to give others a run against Uruguay.

His wholesale changes include naming Black and Marshall on the bench this time, while McCloskey and Annett are omitted from the 22.

That leaves Gilroy the sole Ulster survivor and even then he and Munster's Johne Murphy (captain) have swapped places. They are joined in the back three by Ulster's Michael Allen.

Ricky Lutton – tight-head in an all-new front row – is the third Ulster starter.

Emerging Ireland v Uruguay (IRB Nations Cup, Stadionul National Arcul de Triumf, Bucharest, tomorrow 2pm): Craig Gilroy (Ulster); Johne Murphy (Munster, captain), Brendan Macken (Leinster), Eoin Griffin (Connacht), Michael Allen (Belfast (Ulster); JJ Hanrahan (Munster), Luke McGrath (Leinster); John Ryan (Munster), Bryan Byrne (Leinster), Richard Lutton (Ulster); Mick Kearney (Connacht), Billy Holland (Munster); Tommy O'Donnell (Munster), Sean Dougall (Munster), Paddy Butler (Munster). Replacements: James Tracy (Leinster), Callum Black (Ulster), David Foley (Munster), Dominic Ryan (Leinster), Paul Marshall (Ulster), Ian Keatley (Munster), Andrew Conway (Munster).
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 58009.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 17th June

PART III

Ulster Rugby In Numbers...
Thank you for your support throughout the 2013/14 season. You have got us this far, but who knows what the 16th Man is capable of next season!
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... mbers.aspx

..........only 160,000 pints for a total crowd of 215,000+ :roll:
Image Image
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Mac wrote:Image
Tuesday 17th June

PART III

Ulster Rugby In Numbers...
Thank you for your support throughout the 2013/14 season. You have got us this far, but who knows what the 16th Man is capable of next season!
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... mbers.aspx

..........only 160,000 pints for a total crowd of 215,000+ :roll:

I guess the drivers and young people account for that stat, plus, the horrible pints to burger ratio. Eating's cheating!

Should be closer to 8 pints before you need a burger