Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Big-al »

I would rather he be better at tackling, carrying, clearing out and scrumming.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

kingofthehill wrote:Reid played around 40mins today and scrummaged very well against Kane. Some excellent carries and defended superbly.

Don’t be surprised to see him involved against Italy u20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe we were watching different matches, KOTH. The Malone scrum demolished the Banbridge one who conceded penalty after penalty - it was the winning of the game for Malone, IMO. It showed the difference between AIL players and provincial professionals like Kane and McBurney. Reid is only a cub, of course, and his loose play was certainly decent.
Having said that, it was a great match between two very good sides and a superb advert for club rugby.
Regarding Graeme Curtis, I thought he played well again for Malone with a fast, accurate service. He may have been taken off due to a "minutes played" issue for the academy. Not sure about that, however. Shane Kelly added a bit of zip around the fringes in the second half. I thought Jonny Stewart was also good at this level but he didn't stand out as much as he might have, I thought.
Having said that it was a match between two very good sides, the more worrying issue is that both Banbridge and Malone may be in contention for promotion to 1A for next season and it is frankly very hard to believe that either could match the standard of the sides currently in 1A, especially without their development and academy players.
Bo***cks to Brexit
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Any word on the Academy?

Post by kingofthehill »

rocky wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Reid played around 40mins today and scrummaged very well against Kane. Some excellent carries and defended superbly.

Maybe we were watching different matches, KOTH. The Malone scrum demolished the Banbridge one who conceded penalty after penalty - it was the winning of the game for Malone, IMO. It showed the difference between AIL players and provincial professionals like Kane and McBurney. Reid is only a cub, of course, and his loose play was certainly decent.
Having said that, it was a great match between two very good sides and a superb advert for club rugby.
Regarding Graeme Curtis, I thought he played well again for Malone with a fast, accurate service. He may have been taken off due to a "minutes played" issue for the academy. Not sure about that, however. Shane Kelly added a bit of zip around the fringes in the second half. I thought Jonny Stewart was also good at this level but he didn't stand out as much as he might have, I thought.
We must of Rocky, the banbridge scrum did give away penalties but it was turning on Coopers side. Reid’s side was solid,Cooper was torturing Barrett. Regardless off getting the penalty it was strange that Cooper would want to turn the scrum the way he did esp from an attacking left hand side scrum. This was already when they had decided to scrum instead of kick the 3 points. Couldn’t get my head round it.

Jonny Stewart was good. We are definitely going to disagree on Curtis, if your chatting to paddy I would ask him how many passes hit the ground from 9.

Last edited by kingofthehill on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

kingofthehill wrote:
rocky wrote:

We must of Rocky, the banbridge scrum did give away penalties but it was turning on Coopers side. Regardless off getting the penalty it was strange that Cooper would want to turn the scrum the way he did esp from an attacking left hand side scrum. This was already when they had decided to scrum instead of kick the 3 points. Couldn’t get my head round it.

Jonny Stewart was good. We are definitely going to disagree on Curtis, if your chatting to paddy I would ask him how many passes hit the ground from 9.

Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Callum Reid has made the bench for Ireland U20s against Italy which is impressive, Kernohan starts but no McCann in the 23..

Ireland U20 v Italy U20, U20 Six Championship, Stadio Centro d’Italia, Rieti, February 22nd, 2019. Kick-Off 7pm (local) / 6pm (Irish)

15. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
14. Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
12. David Hawkshaw (Clontarf/Leinster) Captain
11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
10. Harry Byrne (Lansdowne/Leinster)
9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)

1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster)
5. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
6. Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
7. Scott Penny (UCD RFC/Leinster)
8. John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)

Replacements:
16. Billy Scannell (Young Munster/Munster) *
17. Callum Reid (Banbridge/Ulster) *
18. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
19. Brian Deeny (Clontarf/Leinster)
20. Ronan Watters (St.Mary’s College/Leinster) *
21. Cormac Foley (St.Mary’s College / Leinster)
22. Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster) *
23. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)
mcoty
Novice

Post by mcoty »

No McKee
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Where are these under age stars then? Was in New York so decided to pop up to Boston to watch them... Poor very poor hopefully they will get a win today in the second match... but from what I seen not great.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Cockatrice wrote:Where are these under age stars then? Was in New York so decided to pop up to Boston to watch them... Poor very poor hopefully they will get a win today in the second match... but from what I seen not great.
Some interesting selections that’s for sure.

Lewis Finlay is playing for Ballynahinch 2s.

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Did either of Dalton or McBurney turn out in the AIL yesterday?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Have UR provided a report yet the match in Boston? It was after all a few days ago..
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Cockatrice wrote:Have UR provided a report yet the match in Boston? It was after all a few days ago..
I remember reading about an ‘experienced’ Connaught side but not sure if it was a match report.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

https://youtu.be/0Kc-gL811bM

46 seconds of highlights.

I didn't want to watch the video coming next. Apparently it shows Olding and Gilroy spilling their beans over the squad...Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Dave wrote:https://youtu.be/0Kc-gL811bM

I didn't want to watch the video coming next. Apparently it shows Olding and Gilroy spilling their beans over the squad...Image
From that you think we had walked it .... yet 44-21 to Connaught
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cockatrice wrote:
Dave wrote:https://youtu.be/0Kc-gL811bM

From that you think we had walked it .... yet 44-21 to Connaught
Well CD Group had a man of the match award for an Ulster player.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Did either of Dalton or McBurney turn out in the AIL yesterday?
not entirely sure, but I saw McBurney sitting behind the Ulster bench on Sat, so he must have been running with the squad
..one more thing