Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by kingofthehill »

HammerTime wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Big-al wrote:How on earth was McKee allowed to leave?

Something badly wrong with the academy if players like McKee and Rhys O'Donnell either aren't selected or went elsewhere.
Said it before but it was the right decision to let McKee go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And why is that?
In a word ... ego.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

kingofthehill wrote:
HammerTime wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

Something badly wrong with the academy if players like McKee and Rhys O'Donnell either aren't selected or went elsewhere.

And why is that?
In a word ... ego.

Then so too has O'Donnell, and I'm of the opinion that if the talent's there then you put up with it.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

You can’t - professional rugby is a team game with players playing to a script - players with ego go off script — which equals a massive brain fart.

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

All top level sportsmen/women have huge egos. It's how you manage that within a team sport.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Arrogance and ego are not one and the same thing but there is a similarity.
While arrogance may be a collective condition and shared by all — ego is individual and frequently rebellious.

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

If the IRFU had any decency (they don't) or common sense they'd be telling him to wind his neck in and get his @rse back up to Ulster where he's needed rather than supplement Leinsters already embarrassment of riches.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

HammerTime wrote:If the IRFU had any decency (they don't) or common sense they'd be telling him to wind his neck in and get his @rse back up to Ulster where he's needed rather than supplement Leinsters already embarrassment of riches.
Maybe he has burnt his bridges already.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

I have a bit of an issue with any infrastructure that can’t back itself to turn around the attitudes of some teenagers who are too big for their boots. Surely that’s a huge part of what coaching at this level is about? Instead they get thrown out of the system before they have grown up. Can we really afford to scrap youngsters at that age without working a bid harder to get their heads right?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He wants to play hooker. Our strength in depth at hooker is absolutely ridiculous.

Leinster have no such luck...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

HammerTime wrote:If the IRFU had any decency (they don't) or common sense they'd be telling him to wind his neck in and get his @rse back up to Ulster where he's needed rather than supplement Leinsters already embarrassment of riches.
My own guess would be IRFU don't care, he's still within the Irish system is how they will see it.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

When are the Academy Awards this season?

Who is sponsoring the awards this year now that Oscars in Chichester Street has closed? Any of the Ulster players' coffee bars in the running? Or even a slow jog?

Who has been nominated for:
Best Original Score?
Best Supporting Runner?
Best Player?
Best Short Action Career (shortened by attitude or injury)

I heard the judges wanted to award the Best Costume Award to Rory for the one he wore at the palace when collecting his OBE, but the southern press had him disqualified on a technicality because he's no longer in the Academy. (They're still sore about the fact that Sean Cronin wasn't allowed to collect Rory's gong for him).

I take it therefore that Kukri are the only nominees for Best Costume again? Or will Jack Regan's controversial nomination for one of the costumes he wore in The Sweeney in 2012 be allowed to stand on the basis he wasn't in the Academy in 2012?

Any truth in the rumour that because of someone's ego, Best Short Action has been combined with Best Hairstyling and Make Up this year?

Has Kieran Campbell got Best Director sewn up again this year? Are they still using life-sized statues of him as the trophies for these awards?

Is it true that nominations for Best Original Screenplay are limited this year as none of the judges had a subscription to Premier Sports?

Is it also true that Best Picture has been cancelled this year due to the pixellation on both big screens and neither have reached the required standard?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

kingofthehill wrote:
HammerTime wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

And why is that?
In a word ... ego.

Well if you get a sub academy offer from Ulster and turn it down for a sub academy offer from Leinster which gets you placed in a 1B side when there are 4 1B sides in Ulster just as good then what else but ego sends you 100 miles south ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

kingofthehill wrote:
HammerTime wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

And why is that?
In a word ... ego.

That may very well be, but is it not quite an important part of the job in an academy to manage big egos? I'd say a fair few boys coming out of the big schools - after 2-3 years of being the big lad and getting their asses kissed (not to mention 18-19 years of the same from mummy and daddy) - have wildly inflated opinions of themselves.

That said, it's probably true that the one position on the pitch where it might be easier to stake a claim at Leinster is hooker, so maybe it's as simple as that..
..one more thing
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Slightly different news but Callum Reid played a half for Banbridge 2s last weekend. Hopefully this might be him getting back into rugby, he looks fit enough too.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Columbo wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
HammerTime wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

And why is that?
In a word ... ego.

That may very well be, but is it not quite an important part of the job in an academy to manage big egos? I'd say a fair few boys coming out of the big schools - after 2-3 years of being the big lad and getting their asses kissed (not to mention 18-19 years of the same from mummy and daddy) - have wildly inflated opinions of themselves.

That said, it's probably true that the one position on the pitch where it might be easier to stake a claim at Leinster is hooker, so maybe it's as simple as that..
Ulster also would have wanted him at LH.