Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Russ »

Bayern wrote:James Hume set to make his return this weekend for Banbridge.
Unbelievable

BB 1s and BBs 2 are both away to Hinch 1s and 2s

Probably be the most passionate games of the weekend

Suggest you all get down to Ballymacaran Park

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Polroger
Novice

Post by Polroger »

"Any word on the Academy"

YES. It's a sham. Get them out of the weights room and back to the clubs to play rugby.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Polroger wrote:"Any word on the Academy"

YES. It's a sham. Get them out of the weights room and back to the clubs to play rugby.
Do they not play for their clubs every weekend?
Polroger
Novice

Post by Polroger »

.....and here in lies the issue

I AM AN ACADEMY PLAYER

I am sooo far up my own orbit I should be plying for ULSTER. But I am .....English or English......wait... Should not be playing for these.... oh GOD.... but.... what about the money...maybe I'll turn up on match day... but....not sure.... feel a bit sore... money...... money......money...

After all who cares about club rugby these days........
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Polroger wrote:.....and here in lies the issue

I AM AN ACADEMY PLAYER

I am sooo far up my own orbit I should be plying for ULSTER. But I am .....English or English......wait... Should not be playing for these.... oh GOD.... but.... what about the money...maybe I'll turn up on match day... but....not sure.... feel a bit sore... money...... money......money...

Bit much Polroger but understand the frustration.

The academy seems to be bringing more guys through now with the likes of Stockdale (only professional contract last year), Rea, Dalton, Timoney (recent contract), Lyttle, McBurney, Hall, Jones, Stewart all getting game time.

With Lowry, Hume, Curtis, Dunleavy, O’Toole, Clarke, Rea Jr all likely to come through as well. Things will change but it isn’t going to happen for another couple of years.

The problem is the generation before (22-27yr olds) only Jackson, Olding, L Marshall, Hendy, Gilroy have been good enough to pull on an Ulster shirt. One forward in that group and 2 others unavailable.

Andrew, Warwick, McCall, Kane, Simpson, Busby, Cairns were never good enough for professional rugby at Ulster but are still here and playing which is the laugh. That’s not to mention the guys who were in the academy and had zero chance of coming through. Who was at fault for this??

Didn’t really think Campbell was the man to lead the academy mainly because he has never coached a team to prove himself but I’m changing my opinion on him. Lots of talent coming through and hope he can nurture it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Any chance and yer maun Callum Reid giving rugby a go? apparently he's the best prop to leave Ulster schools rugby in the last decade, if not longer?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

kingofthehill wrote:
Polroger wrote:.....and here in lies the issue

I AM AN ACADEMY PLAYER

Bit much Polroger but understand the frustration.

The academy seems to be bringing more guys through now with the likes of Stockdale (only professional contract last year), Rea, Dalton, Timoney (recent contract), Lyttle, McBurney, Hall, Jones, Stewart all getting game time.

With Lowry, Hume, Curtis, Dunleavy, O’Toole, Clarke, Rea Jr all likely to come through as well. Things will change but it isn’t going to happen for another couple of years.

The problem is the generation before (22-27yr olds) only Jackson, Olding, L Marshall, Hendy, Gilroy have been good enough to pull on an Ulster shirt. One forward in that group and 2 others unavailable.

Andrew, Warwick, McCall, Kane, Simpson, Busby, Cairns were never good enough for professional rugby at Ulster but are still here and playing which is the laugh. That’s not to mention the guys who were in the academy and had zero chance of coming through. Who was at fault for this??

Didn’t really think Campbell was the man to lead the academy mainly because he has never coached a team to prove himself but I’m changing my opinion on him. Lots of talent coming through and hope he can nurture it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the seeds lie with the Longwell appointment who simply hadn't a clue... those years feed into many years of loss in terms of brining players through.. as for Campbell he can only be judged in a couple of years .. at the same time if I may use an old hi-fi term when I used to buy some really nice expensive speakers... shyte in shyte out
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Big-al wrote:Any chance and yer maun Callum Reid giving rugby a go? apparently he's the best prop to leave Ulster schools rugby in the last decade, if not longer?
Made his return the last month there against Canada u19s (in which he looked rather decent for such a long layoff) and is meant to be with Hinch but I haven't seen him in any of their squads. Could have had a couple of run outs for their 2nds though perhaps?
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Good to see Azur Allison(u19) starting at 8 for Ballymena recently.

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Bayern wrote:Good to see Azur Allison(u19) starting at 8 for Ballymena recently.

He a product of Ballymena or a blow in?

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Product of Ballymena Academy
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Ulster players in Ireland u20 squad:

7. Matthew Agnew(Ballymena)
9. Jonny Stewart(Queens)
12. Angus Curtis(Queens)
13. James Hume(Banbridge)
18. Tom O'Toole(Banbridge)
23. Angus Kernohan(Ballymena)
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

UTB

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We must have assurances that we are getting Cooney back if JS is with the u20s. Good to see an all Ulster centre pairing.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:We must have assurances that we are getting Cooney back if JS is with the u20s. Good to see an all Ulster centre pairing.
Wont be long before every province has an all ulster pairing