PRO12 R1: Away to Scarlets

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

PRO12 R1: Away to Scarlets

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Roll up, roll up!

Competitive rugby is back - thank feck for that. I see Scarlets are missing two tighthead props - Samson Lee for being a head-butting chube and some other eejit. With that good news in mind, I predict Ulster to win by 10, off scrum dominance and iHumph's unwavering boot. Maybe young Scholes can back up the pre-season form where it counts too?

Stab at the team :duck: :

Black
Herring
Herbst
Tuohy
vdM
Diack
Reidy
Wilson

Brain-fart

iHumph

Gilroy-Olding-Payne-Scholes

Ludik

Warwick-Andrew-Lutton
Stevenson-FNW
Heaney-O'Hagan-Andrew
It's the hope that kills you.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: PRO12 R1: Away to Scarlets

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Stab at the team :duck: :
Is that a prediction of this week's team or a report of something that happened at Tallaght last week?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

Will Herring and Diack be allowed to play, given they were on the senior tour?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I wouldn't back that team to win away , home maybe ---away ????

The half backs and back row are not the strongest and the Scarlets know Humphreys and will play through him.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

UpAtSix wrote:Will Herring and Diack be allowed to play, given they were on the senior tour?

I would have thought those restrictions were on the elite echelons of the Ireland squad? Not sure . . .
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
UpAtSix wrote:Will Herring and Diack be allowed to play, given they were on the senior tour?

I would have thought those restrictions were on the elite echelons of the Ireland squad? Not sure . . .
I honestly have no idea; I guess we'll have to wait and see, or failing that ask KOTH for confirmation.

Otherwise I think your selection is bang on apart from having Allen on the bench instead of Andrew. No disrespect to Roadrunner but we already have two full backs in the starting lineup and Allen offers much better cover from 11-14.

Also, any chance Warwick could start at loosehead? I know Black is the incumbent but I like the look of the trucker.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

UpAtSix wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:

I honestly have no idea; I guess we'll have to wait and see, or failing that ask KOTH for confirmation.

Otherwise I think your selection is bang on apart from having Allen on the bench instead of Andrew. No disrespect to Roadrunner but we already have two full backs in the starting lineup and Allen offers much better cover from 11-14.

Also, any chance Warwick could start at loosehead? I know Black is the incumbent but I like the look of the trucker.

I wasn't sure of the Warwick-Black call myself; if they want Warwick to develop, they will be starting him regularly this season. However, I'd say Warwick provides more "impact" outside the scrum than Black, so Black offerin a secure scrum for 60 minutes, and Warwick doing a bit of bashing afterwards, wouldn't be awful. You're bang on with Allen though, didn't think of that.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote: Black
Herring
Herbst
Tuohy
vdM
Diack
Reidy
Wilson

Brain-fart

iHumph

Gilroy-Olding-Payne-Scholes

Ludik

Warwick-Andrew-Lutton
Stevenson-FNW
Heaney-O'Hagan-Andrew
Decent shout Baldy
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rumncoke wrote:I wouldn't back that team to win away , home maybe ---away ????

The half backs and back row are not the strongest and the Scarlets know Humphreys and will play through him.
Ive lost all respect

Easterby Out
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

This isn`t a great opener for us against probably the pick of the Welsh regions at this point and a new coach who they will be desperate to impress.
They did well in both their friendlies against strong opposition so this is going to be really tough for sure.
However unlike last season we also have had positive signs in preseason.

Barclay at 7 had a field day against us last year and if he is up against a rookie he will fancy his chances.
Open side seems to be the main area of discrepancy between the sides so I hope whoever plays there is competitive in such an important position.
I do think we may have an edge in the front 5 which will be massive as we don`t want PMs passing to be exposed or pressurised in any shape or form and also to keep their back row on the back foot.
Williams and King are extremely hard and direct centres so we cannot have IH exposed either.

So hard to call at this stage as both sides have new regimes and players and if we were at home I would be backing us in a heart beat but in their back yard its too tight to call for me.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Expect to see Rory, Hendo, Chad, Luke Marshall, Andy and Tommy involved in the match day 23 squad....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Front five look fine as stated earlier is the back row and half backs who don't give me grounds for confidence esp when the back row sub is a short distance ball carrier when what will be necessary is a tackle cover who can cover across the pitch .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
ADM
Initiate

Post by ADM »

Chris Henry may return. Beyond that, only players who have featured in the pre-season friendlies will be up for selection.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Hope you are not winding me up ADM.
We really need him.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

bazzaj wrote:Hope you are not winding me up ADM.
We really need him.
IIRC Henry and Trimble were on the 2013 summer tour to USA and Canada but still played opening game of last season?

Not sure if there is an IRFU protocol or just up to Ulster management.

Best was given extended rest due to Lions tour?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18