What the Papers Say 2015/2016

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: What the Papers Say 2015/2016

Post by Mac »

Thursday 30th July 2015

Shane Jennings: Iain Henderson a threat to Peter O’Mahony World Cup start spot
Shane Jennings believes that Iain Henderson’s form, combined with Peter O’Mahony’s injury profile, may see the younger Ulster man leapfrog the Munster flanker into Joe Schmidt’s starting side for the World Cup.

O’Mahony’s all-action style is what makes him the player he is, but he has had to endure layoffs due to hip, shoulder and hamstring issues in the last couple of seasons alone and Henderson has been knocking ever louder on the door.

A versatile player who offers Ulster and Ireland options in the back row, Jennings has been impressed by Henderson’s efforts and believes his dynamism should be utilised at six where he has the ability to be “exceptional”.

“Pete is a quality player and he competes well at the lineout, but he is a bit bashed up and he is stuck together with sticky tape,” said Jennings at the TV3 HD studio to mark the 50 days to go to the Rugby World Cup.

“He probably will be feeling a bit of pressure. We don’t know what is going on in pre-season, but if Iain has carried his end of season form over then he is going to give Joe a headache and that’s what Joe wants: Guys who will push each other and make it awkward for him.”

Cian Healy is another who may be doing just that, though in the loosehead’s case it is the suggestion that he is struggling to recover as smoothly and quickly as wished for after recent neck surgery.

Concerns that he would be unable to make it back in time for the World Cup were lessened, though not fully alleviated, by pictures of the Clontarf Man partaking in an open session with the Irish team in Cork yesterday.

Jennings knows Healy well from their days soldiering together with Leinster and bigged up his influence in the dressing room, as well as his capabilities of the pitch while also giving his backing to Jack McGrath who is second in line for the number one shirt.

Injuries are bound to have their say before the Ireland squad is named and Schmidt has done his utmost to expand the side’s strength in depth, but it was put to Jennings that maybe some players were worth taking a punt on even if fitness wasn’t perfect.

“Maybe. It depends on the severity of the injury, if it’s something that you know is going to be three weeks of rehab for a muscular injury or you’re coming back from a ligament injury. But if it’s coming back from surgery and it’s a neck issue, that will be the medics’ say.

“Personally, from being a player and being involved in a scenario when you know a player isn’t going to be right, I would say don’t bring him (but) if he has a chance and he’d have an impact like Cian would have, definitely.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 45368.html

Chad training yesterday........
More at Sportsfile.com ..........
http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1507258/
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Good work Shane Jennings :scratch: So injury worry is the reason injury-prone Hendo may overtake injury-prone Throatgrabbo.

Sure Shane, that makes perfect sense you fu@kknuckle.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 30th July 2015

PART II

McCloskey looks ahead to the 2015/16 season
Stuart McCloskey exploded onto the Kingspan Stadium stage at the beginning of last season. The Hughes Insurance Ulster Rugby Academy graduate showed great strength and skill in the centre earning him a senior contract half way through the 2014/15 season. This week we caught up with him to see how preparations for the upcoming season are going…

“Pre-season has been tough so far,” says McCloskey. “I came in during week three, so I was lucky, I had an extra two weeks break after playing away in Georgia earlier this summer. We are right in the middle of it now, doing a lot of running and a lot of weights, just everything you would expect from pre-season really. All the guys are settling in well, they are all professional players so they know what it takes by now to get through a pre-season. Paul, Pete and Sam seem to be getting on really well.”

The 22 year-old played 15 times for Ulster last season and signed his first senior contract in January. Having made the transition from the Academy to senior squad relatively quickly, Stuart has an idea how the guys who are new to the set-up are feeling.

“I am in a position now where I can offer the Academy guys or the new guys a bit of advice but it’s more about what not to do, like don’t ever be late! Other than that it’s really just about listening to what the coaches tell you and taking it all on board.”

McCloskey was part of the Emerging Ireland squad who recorded three bonus point wins in a row before lifting the World Rugby Tbilisi Cup for the first time in Georgia in June…

“That was my second time away with Emerging Ireland and we did well. The weather was really warm, which took a bit of getting used to. We were expected to win when we went out there and I think we showed a touch of class above other teams. It’s always good to be a part of the Ireland set up, it’s a step up but quite similar to Ulster. There was a huge focus on rugby there whereas here at the minute the focus is fitness, but that comes with it being pre-season. We have just started to look at attacking and defensive patterns and doing more conditioning work.”

It is early days but the young centre is clear about what he wants to achieve this season.

“My focus at the minute is just to get through pre-season! (He jokes) It will be good to get back playing competitively, it’s just four weeks until our first match and six until the start of the PRO12, so time is flying but we hope to get off to a good start. We are all looking forward to camp in Portugal next week, it will be nice to train in some good weather. It’s a great opportunity to get some sun and really bond as a team.

"My personal goal at the minute is to try my hardest, show the coaches what I can do and push for that starting place. If I can get consistent starts under my belt here at Ulster, then hopefully I can chase for a place with Ireland as well."
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... eason.aspx

New Kukri Ulster Rugby kit unveiled at a spectacular launch event at Kingspan Stadium
The new Kukri Ulster Rugby kit for 2015-17 has been unveiled at a spectacular launch event at Kingspan Stadium.

Almost 1,500 supporters turned out as a giant image of Ulster captain Rory Best and fellow internationals Andrew Trimble and Tommy Bowe wearing the new home shirt was revealed on the back of the Memorial End Stand.

Ten internationals in total were present at the launch, which was hosted by Stephen Clements from Citybeat, Ulster Rugby’s new radio partner.

Ulster’s new home and away kits feature Kingspan across the chest as the province’s new main sponsor and combines the latest kit technologies to create bold new designs.

The Bank of Ireland logo remains on the jersey, with BT Sport on the sleeves and new sponsor, Go Power, featured for the first time on the back.

Created by Kukri’s team in Lisburn, County Antrim, the home shirt incorporates Ulster’s traditional colours of white, red and black and is made from 4D technical fabric with a ‘bridge’ collar. It has a four-way stretch, making it a much tighter, neater fitting jersey.

The shirts are also sublimated to keep them lightweight and feature special panels designed to minimise abrasions.

The new cyan away jersey also incorporates the latest kit technology and with a distinctive green trim on both the shirt and the shorts it is sure to stand out both on and off the pitch.

Ulster will wear the new away jersey against Leinster on 21st August in a pre-season game at Kingspan Stadium and in the pre-season match versus Edinburgh on 28th August at Goldenacre.

Terry Jackson, Director and General Manager, Kukri Ireland said: “We’re really pleased with how the new kits look and we hope the Ulster Rugby supporters will love them too. Our design team has maintained the traditional Ulster colours but has added modern elements to the design.

“To launch the new kits in front of so many supporters at Kingspan Stadium is fantastic and it demonstrates the popularity of Ulster Rugby and interest levels in our merchandise.”

The new elite home and away Ulster Rugby jerseys start at £50 for children and £65 for adults and are on sale in the Ulster Rugby shop at Kingspan Stadium, in retailers and online at http://www.ulsterrugbyshop.com.

A loose fit, supporters’ jersey costs £45 for children and £55 for adults and is available to pre-order online at http://www.ulsterrugbyshop.com/collections/replica-kit, in the Kukri shop or over the phone and will be in stores at the end of August.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... dium-.aspx
Image Image
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Has Hendo lost weight?
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 31st July 2015

Iain Henderson has no idea what World Cup squad will be
Joe Schmidt has given his Ireland stars no indication who is in the running to face Wales in Cardiff next weekend.

Ulster lock Iain Henderson admitted head coach Schmidt is "keeping us in the dark" over selection for the first of four World Cup warm-up matches.

Ireland take on Wales at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday, August 8, before facing Scotland, Wales again in a return match in Dublin and England.

Schmidt has been at pains not to reduce his resources by whittling down his training group before he names his 31-man World Cup squad on the August 31 deadline.

"Joe is so hard to predict when it comes to selecting squads," Henderson told Press Association Sport.

"He keeps us on our toes at all times, so it's typical of him to be keeping us in the dark and that's what's happening now.

"It's making everyone work harder and harder all the time, and that in turn probably puts more pressure on him just to make those selections decisions.

"We're not even sure what the squad will be like for next weekend's game yet: Joe has kept us in the dark on that, and no doubt that's deliberate."

Ireland are better-placed than ever to reach their first World Cup semi-final in the England-based tournament that starts on September 18.

Schmidt's men will open their World Cup Pool D account by facing Canada at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday, September 19, before clashes against Romania, Italy and France.

Highly-regarded Kiwi boss Schmidt has just signed a contract extension until June 2017, and Ireland approach the World Cup as double RBS 6 Nations champions.

Schmidt could reasonably be expected to mix up selection at the start of the warm-up fixtures, to hand fringe players the chance to impress.

Ulster second-row Henderson admitted however that Ireland's players fully expect to be left guessing on selection until at least the early stages of next week.

The Ireland squad will return to their Carton House camp on Sunday night after a week with their provinces, where Henderson and his Ulster colleagues turned out for a full-court press kit launch at Kingspan Stadium.

"Joe wouldn't be doing anything if he didn't have a logical explanation for it," said Henderson.

"If you were to take the time and ask him why we were doing specific things then he would always have an answer for that.

"He's meticulous in his planning - everything we do is for a reason.

"Again, that's just another way of everyone staying sharp and on their toes.

"It builds that competition again - there's absolutely no chance of anyone thinking they can have an easy week expecting not to play next weekend or anything like that.

"In a way it allows you to focus completely on what is happening day by day."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 18074.html
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 18040.html

Rugby World Cup 2015: Ireland ready to take on the world, says Rory Best
Inpho
Ulster captain Rory Best feels that the Ireland squad will have no problems coping with the weight of expectation at this autumn's World Cup.

With a series of four warm-up games beginning next weekend, and having secured consecutive Six Nations crowns, anticipation is mounting ahead of the tournament but the 83-times-capped hooker believes the squad are insulated against such pressures.

"You're coming off the back of back-to-back Six Nations championships, of course you're going to be a fancied team," he said last night at the launch of his province's new jersey.

"The way we're looking at it, people can talk whatever way they want, we know what we need to get right to even be in that ballpark and that's what we're working on at the minute.

"We need to get stuff right, we're doing things as professionally as we can and we're not cutting any corners."

Despite Ireland entering the tournament as the form side in Europe, the favourites still reside south of the equator but Best believes it will be imperative not to be in awe of the SANZAR sides.

"I think the important thing is that we don't overestimate the talent that there is in the southern hemisphere," he affirmed.

"I think there's a fair bit of talent in the northern hemisphere too. The last weekend of the Six Nations, if that had been produced in the Rugby Championship we'd have been talking about it for years and years.

"For me, it was a great weekend of rugby. It wasn't particularly nice waiting in the middle for a result at the end but for a rugby neutral, as a spectacle, it was outstanding."

The first challenge of the warm-up Tests sees Ireland take on Wales next Saturday in the Millennium Stadium and Best, after a gruelling pre-season, is ready to get back in the thick of the action.

"There's only so much you can replicate on the training pitch and in fitness games compared to what it's going to be like in the Millennium Stadium in front of 80,000 with a closed roof."

While other sides have taken their preparation abroad, including next weekend's opponents whose training squad travelled to Doha, Joe Schmidt has kept his side at home, taking camps to Galway and Cork as well as their base at Carton House, but Best is reticent to endorse either method until we see who is lifting the trophy on the final day of October.

"People ask you to compare and contrast what we're doing to what other teams are doing but whoever wins has got it right.

"We feel we're building well but it's going to be a major step up on Saturday week from what we're doing.

"It's going to be a great atmosphere. For boys who are hoping to go to the World Cup it's a great atmosphere to put your hands up and ultimately produce a result for Ireland."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 16864.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 1st August 2015

Maturing Paddy Jackson trusting his instincts ahead of World Cup
The Ulster out-half says the game is slowing down more for him as he gains experience.
Jackson will make it cap number 10 during the World Cup warm-ups
HE’S STILL ONLY 23 years of age, but the sense is that Paddy Jackson is now maturing into the complete package as an out-half.

After missing a large stint midway through last season, the Ulster playmaker had an exceptional run of form towards the end of the campaign. Though it ended in more agony for the northern province, Jackson did his Ireland prospects a world of good.

Capped a total of nine times since Declan Kidney gave him an international debut against Scotland in the 2013 Six Nations, Jackson got 30 minutes off the bench against the Barbarians in May on his return to the green jersey after an extended absence.

He’s now “excited about the prospect of getting a few games” in the coming weeks when Ireland face Wales, Scotland and England during their World Cup warm-up schedule, as he looks to ensure his place in the final 31-man squad for the tournament.

Picking up where he left off last season would be ideal for Jackson.

His passing, both short and long, was beautiful to watch for Ulster in the closing months of 2014/15, and Jackson feels the improvement in that part of his game was down to a generally enhanced approach to training after returning from an elbow injury.

I’m not sure what happened!” said Jackson at Ulster’s kit launch on Thursday. “I’ve always thought passing was one of the strongest parts of my game. I like taking it to the line and putting those flat balls out.

“I think coming into the end of the season, I’d been out for a while and knew I had to perform. I was very focused and everything I did was focused towards training and matches and analysing other teams.

“It all came together for me and that’s a good learning curve for me. I put a lot of effort in and it definitely paid off, so I’ll be doing the same again.”
Schmidt used Jackson in four of Ireland's 2014 Six Nations games Inpho

A strong passing game is very much linked to the ability to actually see space on the pitch, the capacity to identify mismatches and chinks in the defensive line before releasing the ball to teammates.

With four seasons as a senior pro behind him, as well as his collection of Ireland caps, Jackson explains that his vision has grown hugely.

“Definitely, definitely. When I first came on the scene, everything was a bit of a blur and it was so quick,” said Jackson. “It was very hard to read defences, but now I’m very much comfortable with the guys around me and I’ve been here a good few years now.

As you get that experience, it comes a lot easier and things slow down a bit more, you find yourself a bit more assertive in trusting your instincts.”

The players around him are naturally just as important as the pass itself, their lines of running often deciding how successful Jackson’s ability to put them into any holes in the defence is.

The out-half underlines the need to “trust the information the guys outside you are giving you,” something that also applies to his kicking from hand.

An area of Jackson’s game that has come under scrutiny or perhaps caused concern in the past is place-kicking, but the nerve he showed to hammer over a game-drawing touchline conversion against Munster late last season was an illustration of his improvement in that department.
Jackson works closely with Johnny Sexton but on an equal footing Inpho

“I haven’t really thought about it too much,” said Jackson of his goal-kicking. “If it was a big factor I wouldn’t be in the squad, or would have maybe gone on the Emerging Ireland tour. I want to be kicking as much as I can.

“I’m sure if I’m starting or I come on in these games, I’ll be kicking. Myself Mads, Johnny and Keats have been doing a good bit of kicking after sessions, so it’s just about getting out there and doing it in the games.”

Of course, the reputation and quality of Johnny Sexton looms large in the 10 shirt for Joe Schmidt’s Ireland heading into this World Cup.

While Jackson says he learned plenty from the Leinster out-half in his earlier years with Ireland, the Ulsterman’s relationship with Sexton has changed in more recent times. Any sense of master and apprentice has faded, with Jackson now working alongside Sexton as an equal.

I’ve been around Johnny and Joe a good bit and Joe is always someone to learn off and listen to.

“Maybe when I first came in I was keeping an eye on Johnny and seeing how things worked around him and how he operated the team, but now I’ve been there long enough to add my own spice to it.

“I’ve got my own way of playing, and now it’s a chat between the two of us.”
http://www.the42.ie/paddy-jackson-irela ... 6-Aug2015/

Nothing fishy in Jackson's aim to reel in out-half rivals Image
If the last World Cup taught us one abiding lesson, it was that although a professional player has to be prepared to do anything to succeed, sometimes even a player who hasn't been prepared to do anything can become a world champion.

The story of how Stephen Donald catapulted himself from a leisurely fishin' and drinkin' holiday to nailing the kick that ultimately secured the Webb Ellis trophy for the All Blacks is a fabled affair.

At once, it demonstrated how fate - in this case a ruinous series of injuries to Kiwi out-halves - can intervene to make a mockery of plans that have been laid down years in advance.

Donald, who had even deleted coach Graham Henry's number from his phone, was knocking back beers and contemplating fish barbecues when he was summoned to Auckland to sit on the bench as fellow pivots dropped like ninepins.

Wounded

Like Dan Carter, the pre-eminence of the three wounded victims who ultimately ushered in unlikely hero Donald, Jonathan Sexton is the nonpareil ten in his national side.

Paddy Jackson, until his return from injury late last term, had been fourth choice before edging ahead of Ian Keatley after the latter's late-season struggles with Munster; few would give him any chance of eclipsing Sexton.

Especially since his chance of sticking up the potentially fortuitous "Gone Fishin'" sign, akin to Donald, has been scuppered by a team-mate.

"I do like my fishing but Craig Gilroy took my fishing rod and I've no idea where it is," he smiles as Ulster Rugby unveiled their new Kukri home and away jerseys.

No matter. Although Jackson missed the entire international campaign last term, including Ireland's successful defence of the Six Nations crown, he firmly believes that he can battle by right to become Ireland's first-choice.

The public will scoff at such a notion; the players, and, more importantly, their coach Joe Schmidt demands of each player that they aim as high as possible.

And so, even though he was gazumped by current rival Ian Madigan when Ireland secured the 2013 title in Paris, despite being ahead of the Leinster man in the pecking order for the previous four games, the 23-year-old must eye Olympian heights.

"I want to challenge the number one position as well, definitely," stresses Jackson, hoping to find autumn form to match that of spring when he belatedly sparkled during Ulster's run-in to banish memories of an injury-ruined season.

"All I'm thinking about is my own game. No matter what the other players do, it can't affect me if I'm not focusing on my own game.

"If I can play as well as I can, there's no reason why I shouldn't be in the squad starting at ten. That's where my focus has to be.

"There's good competition between myself and the two Ians (albeit Keatley didn't make the summer's substantial cut). I wouldn't have an idea where I stand in the pecking order.

"Obviously Ian Madigan can cover a lot of the other positions, 12 and 15, even nine. I can't really base where I stand on too much because I haven't really been involved since the Six Nations a couple of seasons ago.

"Joe played me on the bench then and he had Ian as a utility replacement which is always useful. But listen, we're all thinking the same, if we get a chance we need to perform to get on that plane.

"It can be an uncertain position, when you're a back-up for only one position. You don't know what Joe is going to go for.

"He could end up choosing any of us really. It's a tough call for him as much as it is tough for us."

No player wants to unnerve the boss; at one stage Jackson unwittingly takes comfort in the knowledge that at least when he features for Ireland in their warm-ups, beginning in Cardiff this week, he will be first-choice kicker, unlike his Ulster status.

But when you press him as to whether this will also apply should Madigan be in the back-line, too, he takes a rare backward step.

"That's probably a conversation for later," he gulps guiltily.

It's a rare slip. Such was his late-season flourish with Ulster, arguably it didn't need rival Keatley's implosion at Munster to ensure his status at the epicentre of Ireland's World Cup preparations.

Fulminating

His ability to take the ball to the line has always been evident; even during his 2013 breakthrough under Declan Kidney, when most of the country were fulminating at Ronan O'Gara's demotion, Jackson's attacking thrust in that otherwise ghastly 2013 debut against the Scots was overshadowed by faux outrage.

His kicking responsibilities remain a factor that may undermine his ambitions; at provincial level, he is still not entrusted to be the number one man from the tee and that will mitigate against him staking a realistic claim to be Ireland's number one in the near future.

He got some opportunities towards the end of last year as Ruan Pienaar palled somewhat; just not enough.

"It's not ideal, I want to be kicking in every game I play," he admits.

"Missing out on so much rugby, it was a big ask for me to push Ruan aside and resume the kicking. I just wanted to focus on my game but I did get a chance to place-kick which was nice."

An intensive discussion on his kicking technique reveals that one doesn't always have to hit the ball hard to find the target.

"You can even hit it at 60pc of your full strength and be successful," he explains. "It's all about your posture and position at impact. Standing tall. Chest out."

Which pretty much sums up how he intends to address his World Cup selection challenge.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/w ... 19713.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 1st August 2015

PART II

All Blacks: King Charles rules on wing
Getty
After Charles Piutau signed for Ulster instead of re-committing to New Zealand Rugby, his World Cup place was tenuous in the extreme.

But his performances in the All Blacks' three tests this year mean he will almost certainly travel to the UK with the squad next month.

It's not stretching things to say Piutau has been the most consistent player for New Zealand this year in the test victories in Apia, Christchurch and Johannesburg, and all from the relatively unfamiliar position of left wing.

He was a surprise selection for last weekend's 27-20 victory over the Springboks at Ellis Park, when many pundits assumed Julian Savea would claim the No11 jersey for the first time this year.

But the selectors went for the 23-year-old Piutau and were repaid with a man-of-the-match performance.

In fact, he may have answered a question for the selectors with his efforts - typically all-action and extremely accurate, including the defusing of a potentially dangerous situation when the All Blacks were caught short on defence before he gathered a bouncing ball and led them from danger.

Piutau doesn't have Savea's size or strength, but he certainly makes the most of what he has, and all this after a Super Rugby season at the Blues marked by inconsistency, injury and, most significantly of all, a deal done with an Irish club which will take him away from New Zealand for two years at least.

Against Manu Samoa, Piutau was busy and energetic in the heat of the afternoon when many of his team-mates wilted.

Against the Pumas, he was good again, scoring a try and impressing with his workrate, although not as much with a cross-kick which went awry.

And in his best performance, against the Boks, he easily led the way for the All Blacks in terms of metres run with the ball (102m), carries (14) and defenders beaten (6). At only about 95kg compared with Savea's 107kg, Piutau definitely punches above his weight.

He would have been available for most of next season for the Blues before moving to Belfast, and the franchise tried hard to keep him. only to be blocked by New Zealand Rugby. For Blues skipper Jerome Kaino, it's easy to see why he was a wanted man.

"He got given a challenge by the [All Blacks] coaches to take his chances and I think in the last three games, he's performed really well," Kaino said. "He's been a standout. He certainly took his chance last weekend at Jo'burg - I'm really happy for him.

"He's had a tough season like most of us Blues boys but, with the injuries he's had, he hasn't really had the chance to express the talent he has and I'm really happy that he had the opportunity in the All Blacks environment to stake a claim for that World Cup squad. I think he has done that.

"He's a smart kid and very humble - hence why the coaches and I picked him for the leadership group at the Blues. He's definitely a calming influence on a lot of those younger players at the Blues.

"He'll be missed next year when he heads overseas, but he's shown in the last few games why he was regarded as an important part of the All Blacks and why they were fighting to keep him here."

Piutau, able to play left or right wing, fullback and possibly centre, has seen his stocks rise, and it has been strengthened by Waisake Naholo's broken leg and the fact Cory Jane is still struggling with an ankle problem.

Piutau, moving overseas to broaden his horizons as much as anything else, was understood to be extremely upset when told by the All Blacks coaches his decision had put a World Cup place under threat - a dream is to play against brother Siale, who represents Tonga, at the tournament.

But just when his dream looked like slipping from his reach, he might have forced the selectors' hands.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11490646
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: What the Papers Say 2015/2016 "KING" Charles

Post by Mac »

Sunday 2nd August 2015

Henderson targets World Cup starts as excitement and fitness grows
The dynamic Ulsterman offers interesting options at lock and blindside flanker.
Henderson may be part of the squad to face Wales next weekend Inpho
THE CALLS FOR Iain Henderson to be installed as a starter for Ireland continued to grow towards the end of last season, and the 23-year-old himself is targeting a place in the XV as the World Cup looms.

The 23-year-old was used off the bench in all five of Ireland’s games during this year’s Six Nations triumph, but his ambition and talent demand even more integral involvement.

While Henderson needs to show form in the World Cup warm-up fixtures, the opening Pool D clashes with Canada and Romania might provide him with starting chances in September.

“Having come off the bench in all the Six Nations games, I’d like to see myself trying to start a few games and trying to work my way into the starting squad,” said Henderson at Kingspan Stadium this week.

That’s obviously a realistic goal for me. I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t be able to do that, especially with the management of players making sure that everyone’s fit for every game.”

Outside of his personal ambitions, Henderson is confident this Ireland team can mix it with the very best.

“I think over the last number of seasons New Zealand’s the team that beat us at the very death. There’s no reason why we can’t beat South Africa, Australia or even for that matter, New Zealand.
Henderson has been working hard on his fitness this summer Inpho

“There’s no team in the World Cup that should be able to beat us if we’re on form on the day.”

While Henderson claims he and his teammates have had no indication as to what team will take to the pitch in Cardiff next Saturday against Wales for their first summer fixture, he know he wants to play as much as possible over the course of the four warm-ups.

“I feel I get better with the more games I play, so I would like to see myself get as much game time as possible before the World Cup,” said Henderson.

I was frustrated at the start of last season not getting a lot of game time due to injury and then the Six Nations.

“I was delighted to be involved in that, but I didn’t get a massive amount of game time in that either. Towards the end of the season getting full games in is what I find massive for me.”

The Ulsterman has, as always, been running at blindside flanker and in the second row over the five weeks of pre-season training with Joe Schmidt’s squad, all the while “getting a feel for the whole World Cup thing”.

The excitement has grown for Henderson ahead of his first World Cup, while his strength and conditioning has improved too.
Henderson is Ulster's new away jersey Presseye/Inpho

“It’s all been about getting fit and getting my scores up,” said Henderson of his pre-season focuses. “I’m constantly working on my fitness, I know it’s always a work-on for me. I’ve been trying to put good weight on and keep good weight on, keep that going.”

When we push for a few of his gym stats, Henderson deflects the attention towards his teammates and the clash with Wales.

Absolutely, I’m always setting records in the gym!” said Henderson.

“No, I wouldn’t be as strong as some of the bigger boys but everyone has been smashing the gym and getting good GPS speeds.

“It’s not even a week until the first game and it’s all coming together now. We’ve been doing some stuff separately, but everyone’s coming together now to get ready for game week and hopefully we can hit the ground running against Wales.”
http://www.the42.ie/iain-henderson-worl ... 1-Aug2015/

rons.png
rons.png (24.08 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
Ulster's new signing Charles Piutau's quality performance versus the Boks
Video HERE
http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2015/08/u ... utaus.html

Clinching lucky 13 is Michael Allen’s key aim
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/lat ... -1-3847224
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Monday 3rd August 2015

‘The standard of sessions has gone through the roof’ – Trimble ready to prove his worth
Schmidt ‘values someone who makes other players look good’.
Inpho
THE TOE’S NEVER felt better, but the rest of the body is being put through the ringer.

With the first warm-up game for the World Cup now days away, rather than weeks, the intensity in training is building appropriately.

After the guts of a season out injured, Andrew Trimble has slowly immersed himself back into the Irish camp.

Before he stepped foot on the training pitch, he had to get the mind active. He may be 30-years-old, but he still gets homework. Reminding himself of the moves and the calls and gameplan is all part of the process.

And then the physical work comes.

“I didn’t get an operation on my lungs, and they don’t seem to be working quite so good!” he jokes at the launch of Ulster’s new Kukri jerseys in Belfast.

“The foot’s fine, no bother with that at all, it’s just the training load, the amount of running and physicality, hitting bags and changing direction is really taking its toll and it’s been very, very tough, but we’ve given ourselves a chance of being in really good shape.”

Aside from the initial sessions when he was easing himself back into action, it’s been business as usual for the Ulster wing in training. Joe Schmidt may not have his troops sleeping in altitude chambers or wasting away in the dead heat of the Middle-East, but Trimble says he’s certainly making them sweat.

Those present at the open training session in Cork on Wednesday will back him up on it.

“Week five now and it’s been pretty much plain sailing the whole time. As the intensity of the sessions has increased I’ve been able to do more and more and the last two or three weeks I’ve been doing everything everybody’s been doing.
Presseye/Inpho

“The sessions have been tough, really really tough, especially the last Tuesday and Wednesday, the open session down in Cork. Joe’s cracking the whip and being as vocal as he always is, getting the intensity of the session high, and it’s probably one of the toughest sessions I’ve ever done, never mind conditioning sessions.”

With a queue to get onto the Irish wing as long as that of Copper Face Jack’s on All-Ireland final night, every little chance to impress the big man is one Trimble and his teammates are hoping to take.

Spaces are limited, and the competition for places has made each man work harder than the next. The knock-on effect; savage training sessions. Take it or leave it.

If Joe’s been impressed, he’s got a good poker face to keep the squad guessing and then second-guessing. Nobody’s seeing those cards until he’s ready to show his hand.

“There’s not been a lot of personal feedback really, from my point of view. I got in on day one and my first week was a little bit of a feeler, I was doing a couple of sessions, and then dropping out doing my own sessions, and really by the end of week two I was doing the same as everybody else.
Trimble last featured for Ireland during the 2014 Argentina tour, due to a long-term toe injury Inpho

“Joe sends out the same messages that he sends to everyone, or every winger, about the basics and being efficient, your kicking and passing, just everything has to be 100 percent or he’d be very hard on you. Everybody’s bought into that and the standard of sessions has gone through the roof, so hopefully I can contribute to that.”

“He’s created a very competitive environment where everybody is trying to get the edge on everybody else, and I think that’s just going to bring out the best in everybody,” he says.

He may not be able to read Schmidt’s mind, but he’s aware how it works.

Like the old cliché goes, the team must be greater than the sum of its parts, and generally speaking that’s the Schmidt ethos.

There may be 31-men boarding a plane across the Irish Sea next month, but you can bet your life that none will dare call themselves passengers.

“I don’t know where this came from, but someone described Joe: ‘He values someone who makes other player look good,’ so you do that by doing what you’re told, by learning the gameplan, learning the patterns, learning your role or being effective in everything you do.

“Everybody has the World Cup in the back of their heads but everybody wants to get on the plane first.”
http://www.the42.ie/andrew-trimble-worl ... 6-Aug2015/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: What the Papers Say 2015/2016 Tip TOEing Around

Post by Mac »

Monday 3rd August 2015

PART II

Ulster rugby home the venue for American sports in 1940s
American soldiers played baseball matches at Ravenhill in the early-1940s, a far cry from the rugby games that the ground hosts today
A whole new ball game was being played at the home of Ulster rugby more than 70 years ago, new archive images show.

Rather than tries and drop goals, touchdowns and home runs were scored in American football and baseball games.

American GIs brought sports from their homeland to Ravenhill in the early-1940s, drawing thousands of spectators.

Now, the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) has merged photographs from the games with shots of the modern day Kingspan Stadium.
Physical on-field battles have taken place down through the years at the stadium, as this merged image shows

Garreth Montgomery from PRONI uncovered the original images that showed how the ground was used during World War Two, and considering them to be unusual, he decided to blend the old with the new.

"We have a very large collection of old glass plates and negatives taken from across the north in the archives at PRONI," he said.

"I'm interested in anything to do with rugby and Ravenhill, and I came across these rare shots of American GIs playing there."

He visited the Belfast rugby ground - now known as the Kingspan Stadium - and took new photographs at the same locations where the originals had been taken.
Spectators visited the stadium in their thousands to see American football games as they still do today for Ulster's rugby fixtures

Mr Montgomery said it was then a case of lining up and merging the photographs using some computer trickery.

"It does take quite a bit of time to do, it's a labour of love," he added.

The new images are the latest in a series released by PRONI showing Northern Ireland landmarks in both their past and present form.

Mr Montgomery has previously created images showing Belfast City Hall, Carrickfergus Castle in County Antrim and Donaghadee Lighthouse in County Down, among others.
Shankill Road Mission, pictured in about 1910, and merged with an image from the same location taken in January this year

"I am always on the lookout for interesting old photographs that could be merged with contemporary digital shots," he said.

"An awful lot of people remember those days and the photos show how much things have changed but at the same time how a lot of similarities remain."

More will be released in the coming months, he said.

Do you have any memories of the American football or baseball games between US soldiers that took place at Ravenhill or any other sports grounds in Northern Ireland. If so, please email us at bbcnewsni@bbc.co.uk
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-33757984
Image Image
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: What the Papers Say 2015/2016 Tip TOEing Around

Post by Russ »

Should we get the Yankees over?
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 4th August 2015

Ulster Rugby ace Chis Henry is driven on by World Cup woe
Having a ball: Chris Henry gets to grips during Ireland practice ahead of the first warm-up match against Wales at the Millennium Stadium
Having already experienced the misery of World Cup exclusion once before, Chris Henry is determined not to let history repeat itself this time around - and is hoping to get a chance to impress in Saturday's first warm-up match against Wales (2.30pm).

The Ulster flanker, having won his first cap against Australia in the summer of 2010, was on stand-by for the 2011 tournament but, even when back-rower David Wallace picked up an injury, he did not receive a call from then-coach Declan Kidney.

"When David Wallace got injured it was Shane Jennings who was brought out," the Malone man recalled.

"Then, when Jamie (Heaslip) was an injury doubt, it was Kevin McLaughlin who was going to be selected, so I was left gutted. I feel my game has come on massively in the last four years and I'd be lying if I said the World Cup hasn't been a goal."

For a player so irked by his lack of career progress back in late 2008 that he considered giving up rugby in favour of air traffic control, to miss out on the trip to New Zealand was a bitter blow but such on-field struggles were put into perspective last year.

On the morning of a November Test with South Africa, Henry suffered a mini-stroke and required surgery to repair a defect in his heart wall.

For a time, rugby became the most secondary of concerns and there were doubts whether he would ever play the game again.

However, after making his return in a PRO12 contest with Cardiff in March, Henry sufficiently proved his fitness over the closing month of the season to be included in the starting line-up for Ireland's tussle with the Barbarians at Thomond Park in May.

"For the Baa-Baas game, when others were looking forward to summer, I was raring to go," the openside recalled of a game in which he scored a try in a 21-22 defeat.

"I was just delighted to be out there and it was a game I really enjoyed. The summer was good but now I'm just really enjoying getting back and getting stuck in.

"The World Cup has been a goal for a long time. November obviously put a pretty big spanner in the works but now I'm fit and healthy.

"I feel really driven now and I just don't want to have any regrets."

With the game against rugby's most feted invitational team not granted full Test status, Henry is yet to earn the 17th cap that would have come against the Springboks last autumn.

He may do so this weekend, however, as Ireland travel to Wales for the first of four pre-World Cup games.

With Joe Schmidt set to reduce his panel for the tournament to a final 31-man squad by the end of this month, Henry is under no illusions about the importance of the warm-up games, especially in the ultra-competitive backrow.

Barring late injury, the established trio of Jamie Heaslip, Peter O'Mahony and Sean O'Brien are sure to be on the plane while presumptive locks Iain Henderson and Donnacha Ryan have also been capped at flanker, although in the case of the latter not for four years.

"Maybe in the past the approach will have changed for games like these but with Joe they really are entities in themselves," said Henry.

"These are Test matches.

"Yes there are players going in with a lot at stake, but if you get too far ahead then you're already out the door.

"The bottom line is a closed roof in Cardiff and a full house is a special thing in itself to be involved in.

"That's the way any player who gets a run-out will be approaching it."

Henry will clearly be hoping that he is among them when Schmidt's team is named come Thursday.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 24689.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 4th August 2015

PART II

Henry driven on by 2011 frustration
Fighting back: Chris Henry
Ireland flanker Chris Henry is itching for a crack at this year's Rugby World Cup after missing out in 2011.

The Ulster back-rower missed out on selection for New Zealand four years ago and wasn't called up as an injury replacement unlike other players, giving him an extra incentive to make this year's tournament in England.

"When David Wallace got injured it was Shane Jennings who was brought out," Henry told the Belfast Telegraph.

"Then, when Jamie (Heaslip) was an injury doubt, it was Kevin McLaughlin who was going to be selected, so I was left gutted.

"I feel my game has come on massively in the last four years and I'd be lying if I said the World Cup hasn't been a goal."

Henry was on track to feature for Ireland last November but suffered a mini-stroke just hours before kick-off against South Africa and required minor heart surgery.

Thankfully the Ulster flanker has made a full recovery and is right in contention for a place in Ireland's final 31-man squad for the World Cup.

Henry hopes to get a chance to impress against Wales this weekend but insists that any player selected won't be getting ahead of themselves.

"The bottom line is a closed roof in Cardiff and a full house is a special thing in itself to be involved in," added Henry.

"That's the way any player who gets a run-out will be approaching it."
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 85,00.html

Ian Humphreys on Ulster’s pre-season camp in Portugal
It might be well over 30 degrees in Vilamoura this week, but its no holiday for the Ulster squad in their Portugal pre-season camp. With up to four sessions a day, the focus is on getting as much work done as possible ahead of the upcoming games against Leinster and Edinburgh and the PRO12 curtain-raiser against Ospreys at Kingspan Stadium on 4th September.

With 104 Ulster caps to his name, outhalf, Ian Humphreys knows a thing or two about pre-seasons with the province and he has been impressed with the amount of work the squad are getting through in the warm weather:

“I think with being on site 24/7 you have the chance to get all your meetings done, you get all the patterns ironed out so there are no issues, says Ian. “There is time to spread out during the day and junior players are able to ask senior players who know their roles better. With this weather, players are able to stay out and do their skill work a bit longer, warm up doesn’t take as long and the boys seem to enjoy it a bit better. We can do three or four session a day, which we wouldn’t be able to do at home.”

One of the main focuses of the first day of camp was fitness, with the players being put through their paces by the S+C coaches:

“We got flogged last night! Ian says. “The conditioning games are tough. But you can see the results. Players like Pete Nelson are setting new records, John Andrew was setting new records for forwards, it’s been impressive. Being in camp, there is an intensity increase. Players realise that you are under the microscope. With games now just a few weeks away, this is the time to really impress the coaches and do their best and see how we get on.”

With a large number of senior players away with Ireland preparing for the Rugby World Cup camp, preseason and camp have provided opportunities for young players to play leading roles:

Ian says: “There are potentially 14 players away so all of a sudden there are a lot more voices being heard. It puts a bit of pressure on the young guys coming through. If the likes of myself, Franco or Roger make mistakes then the young guys have to pull us up on them. That brings out more leaders for us going forward and that is only good for the squad.”

Indeed, Ian believes that the camp will be of most benefit for those young members of the squad:

“It is tough for them coming in and not necessarily knowing the patterns or the calls but that is the beauty of a camp. When you are having two or three pitch sessions a day you learn very quickly. There’s always the opportunity to see a coach when you need to. The thing about the young guys these days is that they are physically able to step up when called upon. They can then concentrate on getting the detail right. We have a good crop of young players coming through and hopefully they can make a good impression at the start of the season.”
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... ugal-.aspx
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 5th August 2015

Andrew Trimble out to impress Joe Schmidt and earn World Cup call
Looking ahead: Andrew Trimble (right) and Simon Zebo arrive for Ireland training ahead of the Test against Wales this weekend
Having overcome the toe injury which has kept him out of action since October last year, Andrew Trimble has a new battle on his hands - claiming a place in Joe Schmidt's 31-man World Cup squad.

With a four-Test warm-up series commencing this Saturday against Wales, the Ulster wing knows that eye-catching performances in the upcoming games will go a long way to securing one of the coveted back-three places.

Trimble, opposite Dave Kearney, starred during the 2014 Six Nations but hasn't worn green since that summer's tour to Argentina, while Tommy Bowe, Simon Zebo, Luke Fitzgerald and Craig Gilroy have all started Tests out wide since.

That sextet, along with Leinster's Fergus McFadden and Munster's Felix Jones, are competing for what is likely to be just four spots and Trimble notes that the strength in depth means that any chance over the next month must be seized.

"Everyone has the World Cup on their mind but everyone wants to get on the plane first," said the man who appeared in both the 2007 and 2011 tournaments.

"I think it's about going out and hitting the ground running. I don't think we're describing the games as warm-ups, they're Test matches. Wales are going to be in unbelievable shape. They'll be a handful.

"At the Millennium Stadium, roof closed, packed house, I think it's going to be an unbelievable occasion. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to play and that's Test match rugby.

"If you can't compete at that level, you're not going to be able to compete at the World Cup. It's sink or swim."

With only two free weekends between now and Ireland's opener against Canada on September 19, the trip to Cardiff brings an end to what has been an exhaustive series of training camps geared towards increasing player fitness ahead of a demanding World Cup schedule.

For Trimble, given his lack of match practice over the last nine months, the extra conditioning sessions have proven especially taxing despite suffering no ill-effects from his toe injury.

"I didn't get an operation on my lungs and they don't seem to be working quite so good," joked the 30-year-old who became a father for the first time over the summer.

"Just the training, the amount of running, the physicality, hitting bags, changing direction, the accelerations are all taking their toll, and it's been tough, but we've given ourselves a great chance of being in really good shape and we've got no excuse.

"The sessions have been really tough; especially the open session down in Cork.

"That Tuesday and Wednesday, Joe was cracking the whip and being as vocal as he always is. It's probably one of the toughest rugby sessions I've ever done, never mind the conditioning sessions."

The intensity is not the only thing that has struck the 57-times-capped Coleraine man who has also noticed a marked increase in standard since his last time in camp.

"I think our strength in depth has improved loads," he said. "Joe is so concerned about the patterns, the team and the game plan. Everybody knows their role and everyone buys into that. The strength in depth comes when people can slot in and do the same role.

"We do so much work as a squad of 45, the standard is through the roof and that's a lot bigger than the training squad you would have for the Six Nations.

Whether you have to go down that far I don't know, but the standard is high. I haven't been a part of it for so long to see the progression so I can see the difference between Argentina last year and now.

"There is a massive improvement in standard and then it's just about improving my standard to match that."

Under the watchful eye of Schmidt, Trimble will know that his dream of a third World Cup depends on it.

International: Millennium Stadium, Wales v Ireland, Saturday 2.30 pm
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 28172.html

Tommy Bowe: Hoping for big things with Ireland and Ulster
International rugby returns this weekend when Ireland travel to Cardiff to take on Wales at a sold-out Millenium Stadium. The match will serve as a warm up for the sides ahead of the Rugby World Cup and will give players on both teams the opportunity to make a claim for selection.

We caught up with Ulster and Ireland winger Tommy Bowe to get an insight into how preparations are going ahead of the World Cup and get his thoughts on Ulster’s start to the season:

“Training has been going well,” Tommy says. “Pre-season is pretty tough time of the year. It has been challenging but I think the guys have been working really hard to get themselves to the level needed just ahead of a World Cup.

“It is always going to be tough with the competition for places. We know what it is at stake – to get ourselves on to that plane and to go to the World Cup it would be such a huge reward for us, so everyone is really pushing to get in the best place to be there.

One thing that Tommy is particularly pleased about is the return of Andrew Trimble to the international squad:

He says: “It is great to see him back training. He had a difficult season last year through injury and it's fantastic to see him back firing on all cylinders again.”

While Tommy’s focus is firmly on Ireland and the World Cup, he believes the coming weeks will be great for the younger members of the Ulster squad:

“It’s a great opportunity for guys who have been on the fringes in recent years to set up, to take chances, to put on the jersey and do it proud,” he says. “Hopefully, we get a good representation in the Irish squad to go at the World Cup and when those players get back we will be in a strong position in the league because at Ulster we are hoping for big things this year.”
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... ster-.aspx
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 6th August 2015

Paddy Jackson's in the frame to start against Wales
Come in Number 10: Paddy Jackson is in line to start for Ireland in Cardiff on Saturday
Ireland coach Joe Schmidt is set to hand Ulster’s Paddy Jackson his chance to impress ahead of the Rugby World Cup in Saturday’s preparation against Wales in Cardiff. Andrew Trimble may also make his return from injury when Schmidt names his team today.

Munster pair Keith Earls and Donnacha Ryan look set to win their first caps since the defeat to Italy in March 2013. Earls and Ryan have both been plagued with injury since the New Zealander took over but could be given an opportunity to shine at the Millennium Stadium.

Schmidt will follow Warren Gatland’s lead and name an experimental side for the first of four warm-up games, with Jamie Heaslip expected to lead in Paul O’Connell’s absence and Jack McGrath, Rory Best and Mike Ross lending experience in the front-row.

Ryan could be partnered by Ulster’s Iain Henderson in the second-row, while Dan Tuohy remains another option.

Tommy O’Donnell and Jordi Murphy could come in alongside Heaslip in the back-row, while Isaac Boss and Eoin Reddan are vying for the scrum-half slot to partner Jackson who finished last season in fine fettle and will hope to lay down a marker in his battle with Ian Madigan for the right to back up Johnny Sexton next month.

Schmidt could be tempted to pick Earls in the centre when he names his team at 1.50 this afternoon, with Gordon D’Arcy and Darren Cave also vying for a midfield berth.

Fergus McFadden is another who could be afforded an opportunity to impress on the wing.

Although Jackson missed the entire international campaign last term, including Ireland’s successful defence of the Six Nations crown, he firmly believes that he can battle by right to become Ireland’s first-choice.

“I want to challenge the number one position as well, definitely,” stresses Jackson, hoping to find autumn form to match that of spring when he belatedly sparkled during Ulster’s run-in to banish memories of an injury-ruined season.

“All I’m thinking about is my own game. No matter what the other players do, it can’t affect me if I’m not focusing on my own game.

“If I can play as well as I can, there’s no reason why I shouldn’t be in the squad starting at 10. That’s where my focus has to be.

“Obviously Ian Madigan can cover a lot of the other positions, 12 and 15, even nine. I can’t really base where I stand on too much because I haven’t really been involved since the Six Nations a couple of seasons ago.

“Joe played me on the bench then and he had Ian as a utility replacement which is always useful. But listen, we’re all thinking the same, if we get a chance we need to perform to get on that plane.

“It can be an uncertain position, when you’re a back-up for only one position. You don’t know what Joe is going to go for. He could end up choosing any of us really. It’s a tough call for him as much as it is tough for us.”

Jackson’s ability to take the ball to the line has always been evident; even during his 2013 breakthrough under Declan Kidney, when most of the country were fulminating at Ronan O’Gara’s demotion, Jackson’s attacking thrust in that otherwise ghastly 2013 debut against the Scots was overshadowed by faux outrage.

His kicking responsibilities remain a factor that may undermine his ambitions; at provincial level, he is still not entrusted to be the number one man from the tee and that will mitigate against him staking a realistic claim to be Ireland’s number one in the near future.

He got some opportunities towards the end of last year as Ruan Pienaar palled somewhat; just not enough.

“It’s not ideal, I want to be kicking in every game I play,” he admits. “Missing out on so much rugby, it was a big ask for me to push Ruan aside and resume the kicking. I just wanted to focus on my game but I did get a chance to place-kick which was nice.”

An intensive discussion on his kicking technique reveals that one doesn’t always have to hit the ball hard to find the target.

“You can even hit it at 60pc of your full strength and be successful,” he explains. “It’s all about your posture and position at impact. Standing tall. Chest out.”

Which pretty much sums up how he intends to address his World Cup selection
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 30751.html

Bowe Impressed By Trimble But Knows Competition For Places Will Be Tough
Ireland and Ulster winger Tommy Bowe says that the Irish team are working very hard during training camp for next month’s World Cup with competition for places starting to intensify before Schmidt names his squad at the end of the month.

Ireland take on Wales this weekend as the defending Six Nations champions look to kickstart their World Cup preparations with a win in Cardiff. It will be the first time that Joe Schmidt’s side return to the scene where they suffered their only loss in the last 12 months as Ireland look to avenge a Welsh side that denied Ireland the Grandslam during last year’s Six Nations.

It will be the first of four World Cup warm-up games for Schmidt’s charges and while Bowe says that is good to see everyone training well, players are fully aware of the competition for places on the plane to England.

“Training has been going well,” said Bowe on the club’s website. “Pre-season is pretty tough this time of the year. It has been challenging but I think the guys have been working really hard to get themselves to the level needed just ahead of a World Cup.”

“It is always going to be tough with the competition for places. We know what it is at stake – to get ourselves on to that plane and to go to the World Cup it would be such a huge reward for us, so everyone is really pushing to get in the best place to be there.”

Schmidt will have to cut his squad to 31 by the 31st of August giving potential fringe players only three games to impress the New Zealander before he submits his final squad to the IRB. After a tremendous season last year, Bowe’s teammate Andrew Trimble is now one of those players on the outer after missing out on the entire 2015 Six Nations tournament with a toe injury.

After undergoing toe surgery in London in February, Trimble has been working hard to work his way back into the Ireland squad and Bowe has been impressed by what he’s seen so far from his Ulster teammate.

“It is great to see him back training. He had a difficult season last year through injury and it’s fantastic to see him back firing on all cylinders again.”

When fit and healthy, there is a good chance that Bowe and Trimble will be Ireland’s first choice wing pairing heading into next month’s World Cup, but with Simon Zebo, Luke Fitzgerald, Dave Kearney and Craig Gilroy waiting in the wings, the former Osprey realises how tough it will be for places.

Bowe is looking forward to Saturday’s game with Wales and in all likelihood Schmidt will run out a number of different combinations on the wings before he culls his final squad to 31.

“It’s a great opportunity for guys who have been on the fringes in recent years to set up, to take chances, to put on the jersey and do it proud,” he says. “Hopefully, we [Ulster] get a good representation in the Irish squad to go at the World Cup and when those players get back we will be in a strong position in the league because at Ulster we are hoping for big things this year.”
http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/jotool ... ill-tough/
Image Image