Pack for next season...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: Pack for next season...

Post by Cockatrice » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:07 pm

UlsterNo9 wrote:Still have Van Der Merwe, Best, Kane, Treadwell, Browne, Henderson, Reidy, Rea to throw into that starting pack from Friday.

Yes but his greatest asset is his ability to be lifted at the back of the line out....
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Who
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:48 pm

He's good at drawing a defensive line forward, and creating potential space in behind them.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Time to drag this old thread out. What do we think of our pack for next season?

Losing Rory aside, I think it will be stronger with the additions coming in. Jack McGrath is a good scrummager he rinsed Warwick and co a few times at Ravenspan. Hopefully Carter can improve that shambolic lineout. We can hope anyway...

Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Dave wrote:Time to drag this old thread out. What do we think of our pack for next season?

Losing Rory aside, I think it will be stronger with the additions coming in. Jack McGrath is a good scrummager he rinsed Warwick and co a few times at Ravenspan. Hopefully Carter can improve that shambolic lineout. We can hope anyway...
Worried that McGrath won't deliver what we expect him to. But I suppose at worst he'll be a decent backup to EOS.

RB's best days are now firmly behind him. Rob Herring has probably been the better player for some time now and would have been my starting hooker for most of last season anyway. But loss of strength in depth - although McBurney with another year of maturing should be a good 'un.

Yep. Hopefully Carter improves lineout.

Still worry about our back row - if Coetzee is out - it all of a sudden looks very lightweight.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:07 pm

Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:Time to drag this old thread out. What do we think of our pack for next season?

Worried that McGrath won't deliver what we expect him to. But I suppose at worst he'll be a decent backup to EOS.

RB's best days are now firmly behind him. Rob Herring has probably been the better player for some time now and would have been my starting hooker for most of last season anyway. But loss of strength in depth - although McBurney with another year of maturing should be a good 'un.

Still worry about our back row - if Coetzee is out - it all of a sudden looks very lightweight.
Agreed. Marcell was thankfully fit for most of the key fixtures this season. That will have to continue because the drop off in quality is significant when he is not there. There are some capable players in his absence and some promising youngsters, but you wouldn't want to be going to Clermont without him.

Hopefully Dan will get some form out of McGrath. He did a good job with Marty Moore.

promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:19 am

Dave wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:07 pm
Amiga500 wrote:

Agreed. Marcell was thankfully fit for most of the key fixtures this season. That will have to continue because the drop off in quality is significant when he is not there. There are some capable players in his absence and some promising youngsters, but you wouldn't want to be going to Clermont without him.

Hopefully Dan will get some form out of McGrath. He did a good job with Marty Moore.
I like the look of McBurney too. Looks like he has a bit of dog in him ( Alsatian I believe ). Apparently Dan kept telling him last year he would be seeing some game time but this didn't transpire and he was becoming a little frustrated. Hopefully he will get, and take, some opportunities this year.

Also with Dan arriving late last year this will be the first full pre-season with him at the helm and hopefully the pack should be more cohesive from the off.

shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 pm

With Rory retired and Rob H possibly in the Ireland squad, McBurney will possibly get more game time this season.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten