What the Papers Say 2016/2017

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

What the Papers Say 2016/2017

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 31st May 2016

TAKING THE RIGHT ROAD....... ??

At the end of another season where we fluffed our lines once too often......again, I think
most of us who hold this great passion for Ulster Rugby would agree that a major review
is now overdue of the previous Five Year Plan. Undoubtedly it can be argued that much
was in fact achieved on and off the pitch. Ultimately however the measure of any individual
or club in sport is the silverware sitting in the trophy cabinet. To that end it has to be
said, and don't let any person tell you differently, .......we have FAILED !!

Now without getting into the rights and wrongs ( or the glaring mistakes made ) of what has
happened over the past few years it has been said to me, & I agree, that we are now actually
going backwards. In business if a company is standing still it's actually going backwards.
So it is here.

So, after the previous five year plan has been considered and reviewed for its now obvious
failures what next ? Another FYP ? No because that just won't wash anymore and anyway
Connacht >appl have shown that it's just not necessary. Objectives must be set at all levels
of the club for the next twelve months with the clear message that the time is now. Next year
IS make or break otherwise it's time to dig up Sir John Harvey-Jones or his modern day successor.

........... it must be hoped that LK is allowed time to lay down his own route map. From all other
quarters next year is now a must. No pressure then. :roll: From my side I'll stick with this end of
things for another 12 months in the hope that our fortunes are about to change..........

Last edited by Mac on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 44 times in total.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: What the Papers Say 2016/2017

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

An apposite summary. I wonder if the board of UR operate at that level of strategic thinking?..

One concern is the lack of ruthlessness at UR... and this may also correlate to the mental weakness/ bottle/ call it what you will shown down through the years both by the squad and I believe the "management". This is ephemeral and intangible- Connacht showed the opposite given a much weaker squad.
Are we took "nice?" If we have been a NZ/ AVP/ Top 14 club, there would have been wholesale changes to the UR board ages ago, root and branch. We tend to tolerate mediocrity in some areas... the "jobs for the boys" stuff imo.. ergo Codling going as an example... Who calls UR to account, or is it a sinecure- we're all stakeholders as a season ticket holders, after all..

Is the Ulster way too nice? We need a brutal nasty, take no prisoners pack- I just don't believe our current club culture and "core values" tend toward what we really need neither in overall mentality, player development etc.. Ironically, before Cowboy pressed the self-destruct, there was a tangible lack of tolerance for poor performance, (and a great captain in J.Muller) although, sadly, in some areas, it went too far and became counter productive.. there is a balance, but we need a survival of the fitness mentality, not an Elephants graveyard for ageing Ulster "Stalwarts"
Exterminate all rational thought
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:An apposite summary. I wonder if the board of UR operate at that level of strategic thinking?..

One concern is the lack of ruthlessness at UR... and this may also correlate to the mental weakness/ bottle/ call it what you will shown down through the years both by the squad and I believe the "management". This is ephemeral and intangible- Connacht showed the opposite given a much weaker squad.
Are we took "nice?" If we have been a NZ/ AVP/ Top 14 club, there would have been wholesale changes to the UR board ages ago, root and branch. We tend to tolerate mediocrity in some areas... the "jobs for the boys" stuff imo.. ergo Codling going as an example... Who calls UR to account, or is it a sinecure- we're all stakeholders as a season ticket holders, after all..

Is the Ulster way too nice? We need a brutal nasty, take no prisoners pack- I just don't believe our current club culture and "core values" tend toward what we really need neither in overall mentality, player development etc.. Ironically, before Cowboy pressed the self-destruct, there was a tangible lack of tolerance for poor performance, (and a great captain in J.Muller) although, sadly, in some areas, it went too far and became counter productive.. there is a balance, but we need a survival of the fitness mentality, not an Elephants graveyard for ageing Ulster "Stalwarts"
Can't argue with this and would concur for the most. If we are sitting here in 12 months time in the same position heads should roll at all levels. And yes we are now "way too nice". One could look at many levels but if we look at the "deadwood" on the playing staff in isolation. Thus far we have lost / disposed of only four individuals ............ that we know of, same as the Dragons. However looking to Munster (7), Leinster (15 - 8 released), Connacht (9 - 4 released), Treviso (13), Blues (15), Edinburgh (11), Glasgow (17), Ospreys (11), Scarlets (19), Zebre (16).

Apart from the Dragons we are the only club thus far not to have released anyone !

99% of Nice guys win nothing !
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 31st May 2016

PART II

........anyway back to the papers. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

McCloskey is better off at home: Schmidt
Ireland boss believes Kingspan star will benefit more from a relaxed summer than battling against the Boks
Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt has revealed that he feels Ulster's Stuart McCloskey will get more benefit from a full, uninterrupted pre-season than he would touring South Africa this summer.

The bulldozing centre has been in eye-catching form for the northern province this season with PRO12 defences struggling to contain his physical style.

Such performances led to an Ireland debut against England during the Six Nations but the Bangor native was not involved in the remainder of the championship and last week found out that he would not be making the trip to South Africa ahead of three Tests in June.

Schmidt has instead brought three of the 23-year-old's Ulster team-mates - Jared Payne, Luke Marshall and Stuart Olding - as midfield options, saying that McCloskey will be a better player for a full summer off.

"I've had a really good discussion with Stu," said Schmidt yesterday during a press conference to announce the Irish rugby team's new four-year sponsorship deal with Vodafone.

"He is a guy who has picked up a couple of injuries but he is coming back to full fitness. He was fit enough to strike out and play in the semi-final (in the PRO12 against Leinster) and give a solid account of himself and he's had a massive first season.

"It's really his first full season as a starting player in Ulster, then to be projected into a Test match in Twickenham… he's a guy who could do with a full summer and then come back next season having learnt a few lessons and having demonstrated a fair bit of potential."

When it came to some other notable exclusions such as Munster's Tommy O'Donnell, Schmidt said that only players close to full fitness were considered for the tour that kicks off in Cape Town on June 11.

"Some were carrying small injuries and we're going to give them a rest while some will have minor surgery to make sure they're ready to go next season," the Kiwi added.

"It's similar to two years ago when we went to Argentina and anyone who wasn't 100 per cent fit we left out of the equation."

Before revealing that Andrew Trimble had been carrying an injury during Ulster's season-ending semi-final loss to Leinster two weeks ago, Schmidt faced questions about Connacht's representation in the squad given their PRO12 title success on Saturday.

Just as there were throughout the latter stages of the Six Nations, there are five Westerners in the travelling party - the uncapped lock Quinn Roux along with Robbie Henshaw, Kieran Marmion, Ultan Dillane and Finlay Bealham - but there was no place for the likes of Matt Healy or Tiernan O'Halloran in the original panel.

One of those pair, thought to be Healy, looks sure to be called into the squad to replace the injured Luke Fitzgerald.

"It was brilliant, wasn't it?" said Schmidt of the success enjoyed by Pat Lam's men this year. "The massive enthusiasm they've generated in Galway and the wider expanse that Connacht is, is fantastic.

"It's great promotion for rugby, not just in Connacht but, the way they play, across the board.

"The back three were outstanding at the weekend. Between Matt and Tiernan, I thought they had a super game and that immediately will put pressure on their opponents.

"Whenever you're naming a squad, you're trying to get a balance and we've tried to get the best balance we can.

"The first thing is that you're never going to get every decision right, but we have looked through footage and we have got to games and watched individuals for periods of time, watching them off the ball as well as on the ball, and tried to make the best decisions on that basis including some of the combinations that have worked for us and we'd hope would work for us again."

With Fitzgerald out injured, Schmidt revealed that his replacement would likely be in camp today with the delay a product of the Ireland management's presence at the funeral of lock Devin Toner's father yesterday morning.

He added: "We've got that information (on Fitzgerald), there are a couple of other guys we're waiting on information for and we'll firm things up after that.

"Some of those decisions might have been able to be made (yesterday) but we haven't had the opportunity to get together.

"We'll make decisions and have someone else in camp (today) and it could well be Matt. One of the advantages with him is he's a left-footed left winger; like for like with Luke and he'd be in contention."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 59728.html

Kyle plotting more heroics after agreeing new Ulster deal
Ulster have moved to secure the services of prop Kyle McCall with the loosehead yesterday penning a two-year extension to his current deal.

The 24-year-old is now contracted to his native province until 2019 and has been rewarded after a breakthrough campaign.

Having made his debut in 2013 against Leinster at the RDS, the Ballynahinch clubman had to wait until last November to make his first ever start but was a key component of the team thereafter, making 21 appearances in all competitions.

The new deal follows the precedent set by Stuart McCloskey's extension last week with the province keen to lock up their locally produced talent early and McCall is thrilled to have his efforts over the last year recognised.

"Personally, this season has been particularly pleasing because I have played a lot more than I expected to. I'm grateful to Les (Kiss) for giving me an opportunity to prove myself this year," he said.

"I want to continue to work hard to develop my core skills and try to push my game on to the next level.

"Hopefully I can cement a starting position next season and contribute to a successful Ulster team in both the PRO12 and Europe.

"Les is trying to build something special here and the players have really bought into it."

Kiss, who gave McCall his first start in what was the Australian's first team selection, sees the former hooker as a future Irish international.

"This is another great boost for us, following on from the news that Stuart McCloskey has also signed a contract extension," he said.

"His incessant work-rate has seen him earn a reputation as one of the best trainers in the squad.

"At 24, he is still young for a front row player, and with his huge potential and desire to be the best that he can be, I've no doubt that he can become a future international."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 59730.html
Image Image
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Mac, as you know I don't give out praise easily, but I'll tell ye this oul' haun, it's a bloody disgrace that the great unwashed are heaping praise on Rooster for remembering occasionally to set his video - think he has a weetabix or an RVH - and tho'in' her ontil Yachube, but barely a word about a busy news hack who brings us the full SP day in and day out.

Well here, yer worth yer weight in gold big lad for most of the places you trawl I would fear to tread. :shock:

Heartfelt thanks and I'm delighted the Boss has retained your services, for I'd say there were offers akin to Ruan being tapped up by JW's Toulon. :thumleft: >yahoo >yahoo >yahoo

As for CIMAN's suggestion that UR are too nice, I'll go along with that IF someone can confirm that "too nice" means too bloody incompetent to get it right, for I am convinced that weak as we are in certain areas, I don't believe that the main problem lies with the squad, much as there is scope for improvement such as Paddymac could offer.

I like a good Les Kiss
I'm prepared to see what Burt can bring to the party, certainly it was interesting that he was running the warm up at RDS
I'm prepared to say, Doakie may have something to offer as a backs coach.
Beyond that it's pretty bloody grim.

And then you have the academy............
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Yep, cheers to Mac for another season of saving me trawling websites looking for news :thumleft:

[Although, I have to admit, if I were in charge of UR, they're would be much less of their cushy little interviews every week with the Tele, newsletter or whoever with a few stupid photos at ravenhill thrown in. Message is clear - the players are expected to do their talking on the pitch instead of in newspapers.

I'd also start to objectively measure "lessons learned". If players aren't demonstrating "lessons learned" AND aren't demonstrating retention of "lessons learned" the next week when it isn't drilled into them for 5 days then out the door and try someone else.

There is nothing so stupid as on week 1, the lineout being sh!t then the coach saying "oh, we'll have to work on that for next week". Week 2 comes along, and the lineout works well, but the scrum is now crap... cue "oh, we'll have to work on that now"... Week 3 rolls in, scrum is superb... but lineout has reverted to week 1's turgidness.

You'd think some players have an attention span no longer than a week!!

We've now had 4 years since the HEC final.... whats been learned? Seems not an awful f**king lot.
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 2nd June 2016

'Pro12 had a magnificent finale at end of an excellent season'
The Connacht story has been told many times, but it never gets old.

How could it when so many new elements were added to the narrative in the countdown to Murrayfield on Saturday?

This is the second year in a row that the Pro12 has delivered a Cinderella story. First Glasgow and now Connacht as champions. In there somewhere is Edinburgh - the ugly sister.

Mark Dodson, Scottish Rugby's chief executive, is not known for a touchy-feely approach to business, so Alan Solomons, the Edinburgh coach, can count himself deeply fortunate to be still in his job.

When the heat came on, Edinburgh vanished from view. No top-four slot, which was the target. No top-six, which was the minimum requirement.

Solomons has become something of an excuse-machine. He's prolific. He gets one more chance next season to take this thing forward. Nobody, bar Dodson, will be hanging their hat on him.

Glasgow lose the title and a totem

Glasgow's season flattered to deceive. They thought they'd kick-on in Europe, but didn't. Many of us thought that they'd defend their Pro12 title, but that didn't happen either. They remain a thrilling team at their best and have a coach that will have learned the lessons.

Gregor Townsend continued the reshaping of his squad on Tuesday with the capture of Fijian international scrum-half, Nemia Kenatale, as replacement for the now retired Mike Blair.

So, at Scotstoun next season, that's Kenatale for Blair, Rory Clegg for the departing Duncan Weir, Leonardo Sarto, the Italian wing, for the southern-hemisphere bound, Taqele Naiyaravaro, Jarred Firth, the Counties Manukau tighthead for the released Mike Cusack, and Corey Flynn, the veteran New Zealand hooker, for Kevin Bryce, who's off to Edinburgh.

Quite who's going to replace Leone Nakarawa is anybody's guess. That's presuming he's replaceable - by a human as opposed to something that Steven Spielberg might come up with in a CGI lab. Even then, you'd take Nakarawa.

The totemic Fijian has entered the warm embrace of Racing 92 with a pay packet sufficiently large as to choke an elephant.

Preparing for next season

Get used to the cherry-picking from France. It's going to happen a lot in the coming years. When a French club - or, for that matter, Bath in their poaching of Dave Denton from Edinburgh - can think nothing of shelling-out six figures to get a player out of a contract then the game has changed.

Townsend will spend the summer plotting for the coming season knowing that whatever he comes up with, Glasgow without Nakarawa is a diminished force.

Everybody - Glasgow particularly - have been chastened by the rise of Connacht. Leinster's way of dealing with the upstarts from the west of Ireland is to take one of their best players - Robbie Henshaw.

Ulster have got involved too, signing Connacht prop Rodney Ah You.

Ulster mean business. :shock: They have the outstanding Charles Piutau coming in at full-back from Wasps and would have had the terrific Springbok, Marcell Coetzee, as well had he not suffered an injury that has put him out of the game for a long spell.

Scarlets have recruited Jonathan Davies and Rhys Priestland. Munster have changed the coaching team and now have the formidable Rassie Erasmus running the show.

This season brought the biggest ever crowd at a Pro12 day, 68,262 people watching Judgement Day in Wales. We had the biggest ever crowd at an Edinburgh versus Glasgow match also - 23,642.

We not only had the race for the top four, but the top six. Once upon a time, when they had their sights set on Europe's biggest prize, the Pro12 meant little to Munster, but the final weeks of the league season were huge for the double Heineken Cup champions. They were staring down the barrel of Champions Cup elimination, a prospect so ghastly that it lent a drama - and a horror - to their run-in that was captivating.

More than 1.1m people watched Pro12 games this season with an average of 8,480 per game. That's a decrease of 106 fans per match, but in World Cup year when so many box office names were missing, it's not a bad return.

The equivalent for the previous World Cup season - 2011-12 - was 7,721 per game. The first season of the Pro12 - 2010-11- had an average of 7,553 per game.

These numbers won't take the eye out of your head with their brilliance, but they show that the competition is capturing the imagination more than it has done before. Meritocracy has upped the ante. So has the new financial reality of one-time kingpins.

Celtic nations left trailing

The Irish teams - six European Cups between them since 1999 - can no longer touch the monied outfits of France and England. The gap has become a chasm.

The Pro12 matters more to them now than it has ever done before because season by season it's becoming their only real shot at silverware.

So much about the competition is good and yet the Pro12 remains a small fry in the grand scheme of things.

French club rugby is largely muck. War of attrition follows war of attrition. Some of the biggest names in the world game arrive and the product still remains borderline unwatchable.

For the outsider, that is. For the French, it's tribal and magnificent; the beginning, the end and the in-between of their rugby dreams. Europe? It's an added bonus if it comes. The league stuff is what it's about and, crucially, where the money's at.

The French are already feasting on television revenues that make Pro 12 executives salivate, but those numbers are going to get even greater come 2019.

French clubs are going to trouser £305m in the four years from 2019. That's £76m per season. The English Premiership clubs are currently hoovering up £189m over four years - more than £46m per season. The Pro 12 equivalent is around £12m.

Selling the Pro12 product

The fact remains, though, that the Pro12 offers up some terrific rugby, some outstanding stories and some great champions. There were 107 players from the Pro12 at the World Cup - more than any other league in the northern hemisphere.

Therein lies one of the problems of the competition, though. Yes, there's not nearly enough money and that's not looking like it's going to change any time soon. And it's never going to change unless the Pro12 helps itself.

On average about seven rounds of the Pro12 are played during Test match windows. That's seven matches, minimum, when the elite players are not on view.

It's what Martin Anayi, the managing director of the Pro12, calls the competition's greatest strength being turned into its greatest weakness.

"We have more international players than any other competition but we play games in international windows," he said recently. "It's self-defeating."

It is. Crowds plummet an estimated 45% on those weekends. The Pro12 allows itself to look like a lesser event, a kind of development league where the top boys don't always play. If you're going looking for more money from television companies then it doesn't help when your biggest marketing tools - your marquee players - are missing for vast chunks of the season.

The Pro12 had a magnificent finale at the end of an excellent season with many narratives. It has great strengths, big weaknesses and serious challenges.

The loss of the Nakarawas diminishes it, but that fight against French loot cannot be won.

It would be nice to see some kind of Pro12 vision all the same. The competition deserves it.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/36422275

Champions Cup draw details and key weekends announced
The draw for the pool stage of the 2016/17 European Rugby Champions Cup will take place in Neuchâtel, Switzerland on Wednesday 29th June.

The event, which will start at 1pm (Irish time), will be streamed live on http://www.epcrugby.com.

The draw for the Challenge Cup pools will take place first, followed by the pool draw for the Champions Cup.

The comperes in Neuchâtel will be Alex Payne (Sky Sports) and Matthieu Lartot (France Télévisions).

2016/17 CHAMPIONS CUP QUALIFIERS

Guinness PRO12
Connacht
Glasgow Warriors
Leinster
Munster
Scarlets
Ulster
Zebre

Premiership
Exeter Chiefs
Leicester Tigers
Northampton Saints
Sale Sharks
Saracens
Wasps

TOP 14
Bordeaux
Castres
Clermont
Montpellier
Racing 92
Toulon
Toulouse

EPCR WEEKENDS - 2016/17 SEASON

Round 1: 13-16 October 2016
Round 2: 19-22 October 2016
Round 3: 8-11 December 2016
Round 4: 15-18 December 2016
Round 5: 12-15 January 2017
Round 6: 19-22 January 2017
Quarter-finals: 30 March-2 April 2017
Semi-finals: 21-23 April 2017
Final: Saturday 13 May 2017, BT Murrayfield Stadium
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/14961.php#.V0_ciGD2aP8

Jonathan Sexton out of Springbok tour
Ireland's chances of a first win on South African soil have been dealt a major blow with news that Johnny Sexton is out of the summer tour.

Joe Schmidt is expected to confirm the news at a press conference today, with Ian Madigan the favourite to be called up to replace his provincial colleague in the squad.

The Lions out-half is understood to have undergone surgery on the shoulder injury he suffered in Saturday's Pro12 final defeat to Connacht and is set to be out of action for around 12 weeks.

Sexton appeared to suffer the injury during the first half. In the 29th minute, he got up gingerly after being tackled by Tom McCartney and received treatment a minute later after tackling John Muldoon, but he played on and finished the 20-10 defeat.

It is not known if the injury is related to the whiplash-style problem that affected him during the Six Nations, but the Irish Independent understands he went under the knife on Tuesday.

Injury

It is the second major injury to affect Schmidt's plans this week after Luke Fitzgerald was ruled out with a knee injury on Monday.

When he revealed that news, the New Zealander admitted that he did have several other concerns. He is set to update his squad this afternoon, with Connacht's Matt Healy also in the frame to travel as a replacement for the Leinster winger.

Already without Sean O'Brien, Cian Healy and Tommy Bowe, the loss of Sexton tips the Test series further in the Springboks' favour and will test Ireland's resources at out-half.

Madigan stepped in for Sexton for the World Cup quarter-final defeat to Argentina and has been the preferred replacement ever since, but he was dropped from the touring squad in favour of Paddy Jackson after announcing his departure to Bordeaux.

Jackson has enjoyed a fine end to the season at Ulster, but he has only started two games under Schmidt, the last of which was the World Cup warm-up defeat to Wales last year.

Ireland leave for South Africa on Sunday and play the first Test in Cape Town on Saturday week.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 66141.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 2nd June 2016

PART II

Schmidt backs Jackson to fill Sexton's shoes
The Ulster out-half is now favourite to wear Ireland’s 10 shirt in South Africa.
Inpho
JOE SCHMIDT HOPES Paddy Jackson can bring his end-of-season form with Ulster into Ireland’s tour of South Africa after he was dealt a major blow with the loss of Johnny Sexton to injury.

The 30-year-old will miss the trip after undergoing shoulder surgery, with Schmidt putting the timeframe for Sexton’s recovery at three months.

Dave and Rob Kearney have also both been ruled out of the tour with respective calf and hamstring problems, after Luke Fitzgerald’s knee issue saw his withdrawal from the Ireland squad earlier this week.

Schmidt has added Ian Madigan to his squad in place of Sexton, while Matt Healy, Tiernan O’Halloran and Craig Gilroy come into the 32-man group to replace the injured outside backs.

Schmidt acknowledged the blow of losing Sexton’s leadership but looked to quickly turn the page by saying that Jackson, Madigan and Stuart Olding – who covers out-half – can compensate.

The experience that he has, the fact that he is one of the key leaders along with Rory [Best] and Jamie [Heaslip], that’s a loss,” said Schmidt of Sexton. “But when you lose experience you often can gain excitement and there’s some really excited young players.

“If we lose that experience, hopefully that experience can be compensated with the excitement those guys bring.

“I had a good conversation with Johnny. We have to move on and you start investing in Paddy Jackson, Ian Madigan and Stu Olding.”

While Schmidt said he could not provide too much detail on Sexton’s shoulder injury, he stated that the Leinster playmaker should be fit in time for the start of next season.

“There was a feeling that it could be managed conservatively either for him to continue playing or for him to return but after seeing the specialist [on Monday], it was felt that surgery was the most appropriate action,” said Schmidt.

For now, it appears to be Jackson’s time to shine.

The Ulsterman has won 13 Ireland caps in total, making his debut under Declan Kidney in 2013. However, he has been third-choice behind Sexton and Madigan for the vast majority of Schmidt’s reign.

Jackson didn’t even make an Ireland bench during this year’s Six Nations, as Schmidt continually preferred Madigan’s versatility.

Schmidt said he has no time to regret the fact that the 24-year-old Jackson has not played for Ireland since coming off the bench in the win against Romania at last year’s World Cup.

I don’t think we can live with regrets,” said Schmidt. “At the time [during the Six Nations] Johnny played really well and we needed the multi-cover off the bench, particularly because we tended to lose players during those games.

“At the same time, Paddy was in and out of camp during that time so he was certainly up to speed in terms of what we were doing. That was probably a real upsurge in his form. He was running a team [Ulster] that he was the experienced player in.

“The old guys like Rory weren’t there. He really took the team by the scruff of the neck and I think he grew during that period. There is always a silver lining and Paddy made the most of that, and that showed in his end-of-season form.”
http://www.the42.ie/joe-schmidt-sexton- ... 1-Jun2016/

Joe Schmidt insists he has 'complete faith' in Paddy Jackson as Ireland squad decimated by injuries ahead of South Africa tour
Ireland coach Joe Schmidt has insisted he has full faith in Ulster out-half Paddy Jackson after confirming this morning's Irish Independent exclusive news of Jonathan Sexton's shock withdrawal from the summer tour to South Africa.

On another day of injury carnage for Joe Schmidt' men, four players were cut from the three-test tour to a country where they have never won a test as the Irish injury toll soared into double figures.

Sexton damaged a collarbone during the Pro12 final against Connacht after receiving a thumping tackle from Bundee Aki and will need surgery and a three-month lay-off as he battles yet another in a series of injuries that have dogged him in recent years.

Leinster back three brothers Rob and Dave Kearney have also been ruled out through injury; Rob suffered a hamstring injury in training on Tuesday while brother Dave (Grade Two calf strain) and Luke Fitzgerald (medial ligament strain) had also shipped knocks in that final defeat.

Leinster's continued difficulty offers offer opportunity with uncapped Connacht duo Tiernan O'Halloran and Matt Healy called up to join Sean Reidy and Quinn Roux as potential debutants.

Bordeaux-bound Ian Madigan has been offered a lifeline while Craig Gilroy is also called up.

"I don't think we can live with regrets," said Schmidt, who confirmed that Sexton will need surgery and may return in three months.

"At the time Johnny played really well and we needed the multi-cover off the bench from Ian Madigan particularly because we tended to lose players during those games.

At the same time, Paddy was in and out of camp during that time so he was certainly up to sped in terms of what we were doing. That was probably a real upsurge in his form.

"He was running a team that he was the experienced player in. The old guys like Rory weren't there. He really took the team by the scruff of the neck and I think he grew during that period. "There is always a silver lining and Paddy made the most of that. And that showed in his end of season form."

Schmidt said that the latest injury blows will not change the expectations of a side ho want to win the series - despite never having won a game on South African soil.

"It certainly doesn't change expectations and expectations are never based around results, as much as that's how we're judged. We can't control all the variables around the results.

"My expectation is that the players will work hard, they'll unite really effectively under Rory's leadership and that we will be competitive. Whether that's enough, we'll find out on the 11th, 18th and 25th of June."

Jackson's captain Rory Best backed his team-mate to shine despite being snubbed under Schmidt for much of his tenure.

"I spoke a lot towards the end of the season about how much he has learned from Johnny. The way he conducts himself around Ulster is learning from the way Johnny conducts himself in this environment.

"He knows the plays and runs the plays, he has confidence in that. It's a big opportunity for him, no doubt. It's a big shot to fill with hat Johnny has done for Leinster and Ireland. It's a chance for him to come in and put his own slant on it.

"He's surrounded by people he knows, he's been involved in the camps, he's played a few tests. He has the confidence of the group, there is doubt. He has the chance to come in and show the form he had at the tail-end of the season."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 67570.html

........could Jared actually play at full back for Joe :roll:
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2670050

Paddy Jackson keen to leave his Ulster woe firmly in the past
As he prepares for a summer in South Africa, Paddy Jackson is looking to put the end of Ulster's season behind him.

The out-half joined up with Joe Schmidt's men earlier this week as one of only two No.10s in the squad that will take on the Springboks for three Tests and with his international career seemingly set to get back on track after a frustrating two years on the periphery.

But for a player who had convinced himself that this was the Ulster squad that would finally end the province's silverware hoodoo, another disappointing PRO12 semi-final defeat at the hands of old rivals Leinster was hard to bear with the wound still fresh over a week on.

"It's still hard to think about at the moment," said Jackson before heading to camp in Dublin.

"It just really hurts. At the minute it feels like the end of the world. It seems as if it has happened over and over again in the last few seasons but it doesn't get any easier.

"That's life and I'm sure once I get over it, I'll be back champing at the bit to win silverware for the club. It's something that means so much to me."

While visibly struggling to deal with the loss and the end of his provincial campaign, the dejection is felt all the more keenly when he thinks of his captain Rory Best.

"I think one of the big disappointments was that everyone wanted to do it for Rory," reflected Jackson, whose own form was one of the key reasons Ulster made it to the semi-finals at all.

"He's put so much into this place for so many years.

"He's led us so well. The way he addresses the group is fantastic and to fall short again… we felt like we let him down."

While Best (below) is one of the few surviving members from the 2006 Celtic League triumph, Jackson himself is racking up quite the list of knock-out heartache with the province.

Since starting the Heineken Cup final in 2012, he has lost seven win-or-bust games with Ulster with only one victory to remember fondly. While still only 24, he admits he has had enough disappointment on the rugby field to last him a career.

"It's a bit bizarre for me because I've been involved in all of them," he said.

"I still have a good bit of my career left so hopefully I'll have more opportunities.

"We can play some outstanding rugby but we need to bring that into the knock-outs. We've had all these opportunities and we haven't done it yet but we're not going to stop working until we do it.

"I fully believe that will be next season."

With a daunting summer in South Africa to negotiate before a well-earned rest - Jackson will surely get more game-time for Ireland now that Ian Madigan's move to Bordeaux has him outside of the national set-up - the former Methody pupil is already looking forward to next season and stresses that, despite such a disappointing end to the campaign, the future is bright under Les Kiss and Neil Doak.

"Les has brought a great environment and philosophy," added Jackson. "That translates into the way we're playing. There's been some great rugby and him and Doakie have really got our attack going. It hurts now but we still believe in ourselves.

"That starts at the top with Les and Doakie and feeds down through Rory and to the rest of the players. I think it's an infectious thing having leaders like that in the squad. They'll make sure we bounce back. We have all this motivation and we'll keep going until we succeed."

When we next see Jackson on a rugby field it will likely be in Cape Town, Johannesburg or Port Elizabeth looking to make history as a member of the first Ireland side to win a Test in South Africa; the man himself sounds like he can't wait for his next outing in Belfast.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 66206.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 3rd June 2016

Stockdale: I don't want to be 24 or 25 and not starting for my club
Inpho
It has already been a major breakthrough season for Jacob Stockdale but he has his sights firmly set on building on that with Ireland at this month's World Rugby U-20 Championship.

Stockdale missed Ireland's first three Six Nations games as he was a regular fixture in Ulster's Pro12 squad - his U-20 debut arrived in late January when he came off the bench in the win over Treviso.

The 20-year's reputation has been rapidly growing up north over the last couple of seasons.

His long-term goal is to end up as an outside-centre, but the traffic in front of him at Ulster would suggest that he may be waiting a while yet to make the No 13 jersey his own.

The fact that his close friend Sam Arnold is Munster-bound after deciding to seek first-team rugby elsewhere is a timely reminder for Stockdale that starting berths are hard to come by in Ulster these days and although, for now, he is happy to continue for forge his path on the wing, he is fully aware of the tough task that he has on his hands.

Stockdale played in last year's Junior World Cup and could find himself at full-back in this year's tournament.

Playing on the world stage gives the ambitious Stockdale a chance to impress potential suitors and that will be in the back of his mind.

"There's a number of players that get picked up by a whole range of clubs after the U-20s," he said.

"The likes of an Ulster lad, Chris Farrell, a couple of years ago. He got picked up by Grenoble after the U-20s. Not that I'm looking to move clubs or anything, but it does showcase talents, and it shows coaches what you can do.

"I have a lot of aspirations for my career, and I don't want to be 24 or 25 and not starting for my club.

"Obviously, I'm going to try and do my best to push through at Ulster, because that's where I grew up. That's the team I want to play for the most, but at the same time, yeah, I do need to keep my options open and see what happens really."

As well as Arnold, another young Irish player, Cian Kelleher, is seeking pastures new at Connacht in a bid to get more game-time.

IRFU performance director David Nucifora's remit of spreading the talent pool across all four provinces will continue but Stockdale believes that more young Irish players will be open to moving abroad if they see no other choice.

"You're starting to see lads who are getting paid £500,000, or £750,000 a year, and you're just seeing players move clubs," he said.

"Irish players going out to France, and English players coming here. . . I think it's good for the game.

"It gives players an opportunity to play in different parts of the world, and start with club teams. Just with how professional rugby has gotten, that's why more players are deciding there's more rugby to be played than just my home club."

Meanwhile, back-rower Conall Boomer has replaced Will Connors (ankle) in the Irish squad.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 68996.html

Jacob Stockdale stronger for Ulster experience
As he prepares for the upcoming World Rugby U20 Championship in Manchester later this month, Ireland’s Jacob Stockdale believes that his experience of playing in the Ulster first-team has turned him into a more confident player.

The versatile defender missed the opening three games of last spring’s U20s Six Nations campaign after Ulster’s director of rugby, Les Kiss, promoted him to the senior ranks, and he felt the benefit of this experience when he returned for the side’s victories over Italy and Scotland.

“The higher level you play, whenever you drop back a level, the level you were at before seems easier,” Stockdale remarked.

“I felt that my match fitness, and my ability to break tackles, became a bit easier. Because I had been playing with guys who’d be playing professional rugby a number of years.”

The Belfast Harlequins clubman made five appearances in the Guinness Pro12 for his province in the season just gone, and he was grateful to Kiss and the Ulster coaching staff for giving him the opportunity to showcase his abilities.

“Personally, it’s been a pretty fantastic season. I got injured at the start of the season, and I was out for about four months, but I got back at the end of January, and it’s just been fantastic since then. I have to give full credit to the coaches up there, they’ve given me the opportunity to play, and I tried to take my chances as well as I could.”

Stockdale was also a member of last year’s Ireland U20s squad in the same competition, and from a fitness and recovery point of view, he now has a better idea of what to expect.

“It is the recovery, because you’ve got four days max in between each game, and that was one thing I took away from it.

“I think you need to approach a Junior World Cup in terms of fitness and speed and getting your recovery. That’s something I learned this year, I knew I wanted to go out lighter, quicker, but maybe not quite as strong,” Stockdale added.

Meanwhile, ahead of their opening game of the tournament against Wales next Tuesday, Ireland have been forced to make one change to their squad. Back-row Will Connors has been ruled out of the competition with an ankle injury, and his place is taken by Ballymena’s Conall Boomer.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 02986.html

Schmidt has to make pieces fit with Johnny Sexton out
Ireland coach Joe Schmidt is an equal opportunities employer, so Ian Madigan and Paddy Jackson shared the outhalf duties in training sessions during the week in the absence of Jonathan Sexton, ruled out of the three-Test tour to South Africa following shoulder surgery.

Madigan (27), who was called into the squad following his team-mate’s misfortune, understudied Sexton during the Rugby World Cup and Six Nations Championship, but, having signed for Bordeaux Bègles, it was the in-form Jackson (24) who was originally selected in the original Irish touring party.

The Ulster outhalf won the last of his 13 caps when coming on as a replacement against Romania in the World Cup. Schmidt said he would decide early next week which player would start the first Test against the Springboks in Cape Town on Saturday week.

“Paddy and Ian have actually shared 50/50 the time in training; we haven’t made any decisions at all. The big advantage for Paddy is his form and regular game time at the end of the season as opposed to Ian who hasn’t had that opportunity but he’s trained incredibly well in these two training [sessions] that we’ve done,” Schmidt said.

Real opportunity
“Those are the decisions that we’ll make at the latest by Thursday. We’ll try to give the 10 particularly an indication by Tuesday so that they get enough time in the saddle to really lead guys around.
“If it is Jacko it’s a real opportunity for him fill those big boots, that big jersey, but also be himself. I’m not going to ask Paddy Jackson to be anyone other than the player he’s comfortable being because that’s a good player, that’s a player that can be effective at Test level and he’s excited about that opportunity if it comes about.”

The loss of Schmidt’s on-field lieutenant in Sexton transcends physical qualities. He’s a big personality and a senior figure in the leadership cadre but Schmidt expects his successor on tour to discharge the role capably.

“It’s a needs must. One of the things you find when you do lose players who are very dominant in the group, other alpha males emerge and they help drive the group,” he said.

“I’ve no doubt that Paddy and Ian can both play that role because it is a pivotal position; it’s a position where you’ve got to have to some degree of control of the team during the training, during the match so that the players know where they’re going and I’ve no doubt that both of those players can do it well.

“The way he [Jackson] conducts himself around Ulster is learning from the way Johnny [Sexton] conducts himself in this environment. He knows the plays, he runs the plays and has confidence in that. It’s a chance for him to come in and put his own slant on it.”

Up to speed
Schmidt offered an explanation of his decision not to include Jackson for the Six Nations.
“At the time Johnny played really well and we needed the multi-cover off the bench, particularly because we tended to lose players during those games,” he said.

“At the same time, Paddy was in and out of camp during that time so he was certainly up to speed in terms of what we were doing. That was probably a real upsurge in his form. He was running a team that he was the experienced player in.

“The old guys like Rory [Best] weren’t there. He really took the team by the scruff of the neck and I think he grew during that period. There is always a silver lining and Paddy made the most of that. And that showed in his end-of-season form.”

The Irish coach indicated that Robbie Henshaw could switch to fullback in place of Rob Kearney as he values Jared Payne’s intelligent defence “on the edge” (a reference to him defending in the 13 channel), while also acknowledging that Stuart Olding could have a starting role at inside centre.

He also highlighted the form of Tiernan O’Halloran and Luke Marshall.

“Some of those decisions we will make during training, seeing who is most comfortable in either position. And then there is Tiernan who really spiked at the end of the season. His confidence is high, he is in good form and he comes into the equation as well,” Schmidt said.

The jigsaw has new pieces; now it’s about making them fit.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2670645

Craig Gilroy called up to Ireland squad as Johnny Sexton misses out through injury
Ulster’s Craig Gilroy has been called up to Ireland’s squad for the tour of South Africa after Johnny Sexton was ruled out.

Leinster fly-half Sexton suffered a shoulder injury during Saturday’s 20-10 Pro12 final defeat by Connacht and needed minor surgery.

Coach Joe Schmidt has also lost Luke Fitzgerald and Dave Kearney to injuries sustained at Murrayfield, and in a further blow Rob Kearney pulled up in training on Wednesday with a hamstring strain which will rule him out of the tour.

Ireland have called up Ulster star Gilroy, along with Matt Healy, Ian Madigan and the uncapped Tiernan O’Halloran as replacements.

The squad depart on Sunday and will play Tests in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth on their first tour of South Africa since 2004.

Read more: http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... z4AUybIfIH
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-7413819

Top 10 £€£€£€
1- Ayumu Goromaru (Japon, Queensland) : 1,8 millions d’euros
2- Dan Carter (Nouvelle-Zélande, Racing 92) : 1,8 millions d’euros
3- Matt Giteau (Australie, Toulon) : 1,1 millions d’euros
4- Leigh Halfpenny (Pays de Galles, Toulon) : 770 000 euros
5- Ma’a Nonu (Nouvelle-Zélande, Toulon) : 770 000 euros
6- Jonathan Sexton (Irlande, Leinster) : 643 000 euros
7- Charles Piutau (Nouvelle-Zélande, Ulster) : 643 000 euros
8- Bryan Habana (Afrique du Sud, Toulon) : 610 000 euros
9- Manu Tuilagi (Angleterre, Leicester) : 578 000 euros
10- Colin Slade (Nouvelle-Zélande, Pau) : 575 000 euros
http://www.leclubrugby.fr/qui-sont-les- ... s-du-monde
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 3rd June 2016

PART II

Irish wing Gaston starts with Davidson's Aurillac on brink of stunning promotion
The former Ireland and Lions lock has worked wonders in France.
Davidson has worked wonders with Aurillac. David Kidd
IRISHMAN CONOR GASTON will start on the left wing for Jeremy Davidson’s Aurillac in their Pro D2 promotion play-off final against Bayonne tomorrow [KO 3.15pm Irish time].

A win would see Davidson’s side cap a remarkable season with promotion into the Top 14.

Ulster man Gaston has been with Aurillac since 2013, having spent a year with London Irish in 2012/13. The powerful wing made his Ulster debut in 2010 and earned a total of five appearances for the province before leaving for England in 2012.

The 25-year-old has largely been an ever-present in Davidson’s team since arriving in France and he has made 20 starts in the current campaign, scoring three tries. Now Gaston will look to play his part in one of the biggest days in Aurillac’s history.

Former Ulster, London Irish, Castres, Ireland and Lions second row Davidson has been the driving force behind the club’s rise in his role as head coach.

Aurillac, despite having the fourth lowest budget in the league, finished the Pro D2 regular season in third position.

A 28-13 win at home to Mont-de-Marsan in the promotion play-off semi-finals has now left the Cantal-based club one win away from earning a place in the Top 14.
Gaston is a key man for Aurillac. Stade Aurillacois

Davidson has consistently overachieved with Aurillac, guiding them into the play-off semi-finals in 2013 and narrowly missing out on a semi-final last season with a sixth-placed finish.

The average budget in the Pro D2 this season was in the region of €7.25 million, but Aurillac had just €4.52m to work with.

Champions Lyon, who were promoted with six regular season games left after a dominant campaign, had almost €20m to work with, while Bayonne had a budget of €11.3 million.

As such, a win in the promotion final tomorrow would represent a truly incredible achievement for Aurillac in front of a sold-out crowd at Toulouse’s Stade Ernest-Wallon.

Davidson, whose playing days were brought to a premature end in 2003 due to a knee injury, began his coaching career with a four-year stint at Dungannon RFC.

He subsequently re-joined former club Castres as forwards coach for two years but then returned to home province Ulster in 2009, working as an assistant coach to Brian McLaughlin.

In 2011, the lure of becoming head coach of Aurillac brought Davidson back to France and he has quietly gone about helping the minnows to grow and grow. Their achievement of reaching a semi-final in 2013 on a budget of just €2.6 million was particularly noteworthy.

Davidson was interviewed for the forwards coach position at Top 14 outfit Clermont in 2013, and was very close to securing the job, but ex-Leinster man Jono Gibbes pipped him to the role.

Focusing Aurillac on an organised attacking style of rugby against the more muscular Pro D2 sides, Davidson has been “putting the banger up against the Ferrari” to great success since 2011 and is now on the brink of a remarkable milestone.

Last year, Aurillac rewarded Davidson’s efforts by handing him a five-year contract that runs until 2022.

Even if Aurillac are beaten by favourites Bayonne tomorrow, the 42-year-old has marked himself out as a head coach of impressive ability.
http://www.the42.ie/aurillac-jeremy-dav ... 8-Jun2016/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 4th June 2016

Michael Black appointed as Ulster's Provincial Talent Coach
The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) has appointed four Provincial Talent Coaches to support the identification and development of talented underage players in Ireland, with Michael Black taking the reigns in Ulster.

Black is a former international referee who has been responsible for delivering the underage representative rugby programme in Ulster Rugby since 2013. He has directed team services, management and operations for Ulster U16s up to the Ulster A side.

Colm Tucker (Connacht), Trevor Hogan (Leinster) and Mark Butler (Munster) will operate in the same role within the other provinces.

The appointments are part of an ongoing strategic investment in the Player Pathway which is being driven by the IRFU's High Performance Unit.

David Nucifora, IRFU Performance Director, commented on the appointments and the role that the Provincial Talent Coaches will play:

"Their role is an investment on the IRFU's behalf into the game to make sure that we are working across all areas of the game to identify the best talent.

"There is one talent coach appointed per province and they will be working with the domestic rugby staff looking at kids from the age of 15 and 16 and to ensure that we have the best structures in place to be able to identify talent and bring that best talent into the development pathways.

"These coaches will then be mandated to help manage that talent through the pathway.

"We are trying to make sure we are as efficient as we can possibly be in the area of talent identification. A lot of the onus will be in the areas outside of the traditionally captured areas of talent.

"The Schools system is an obvious area of where we know where the talent is and we will continue to work with them but the role of the Provincial Talent Coaches will be to work closely with clubs and other schools where rugby is not the main sport to make sure that we are actually identifying more potential talent that we can bring into the pathway to broaden the talent pool.

"It's a really exciting addition to our staff on the ground and something that I believe is going to add value over time for Irish rugby."
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/14965.php#.V1MdQ2D2aP8

Frustrated Tommy Bowe focused on brighter future as he looks to be back in groove
As seasons go, the 2015/16 campaign is not one that Ulster and Ireland star Tommy Bowe will be remembering fondly.

Having forced his way back into Joe Schmidt's starting side in time for the crunch games of the World Cup some ten months ago, a serious knee injury shipped in the quarter-final loss to Argentina has plagued him ever since with a failed comeback attempt in April making matters all the more difficult to bear.

"It just has been very, very frustrating. It's hard to put into words," he said, speaking at an event to promote this weekend's 'Walk the Walls for Cavan' event.

"It's been tough to work so hard to get back fit, and to feel really good when I was back playing, and then have to sit out again.

"I played that 'A' game and then got 80 minutes against Zebre and I was enjoying it but just that little twinge set me back.

"It was something very small but is just kept me from doing the rehab for a couple of weeks."

While a second surgery was required, this time it was exploratory and although he could have struggled on, it was decided that the only sensible course of action was to aim for full fitness ahead of pre-season starting in July.

"It just has been very, very frustrating. It's hard to put into words," he said, speaking at an event to promote this weekend's 'Walk the Walls for Cavan' event.

"It was just a time when we had to look at the bigger picture," Bowe says.

"I could have easily kept on going and been 70 or 80% but am I a benefit to the team at that level with the likes of Gilly and Trimby (Craig Gilroy and Andrew Trimble) playing so well?

"If I had of kept going, I would have been pushed back for next season but now, with plenty of time on my side, I can work away and build things up.

"I'll be 100% for pre-season and looking forward to a big season ahead."

It is the promise of that big season that has provided motivation during rehab for the two-time Lions tourist who has amassed 67 caps for Ireland.

With star names Charles Piutau and Marcell Coetzee arriving in Belfast next season, Bowe expects the end of a silverware drought that is starting to irk one of just four men still around from the 2006 league title.

"It was a difficult decision but I had to take an overview because there's so much to play for next year," he says.

"Ulster have a huge opportunity. We've some new players coming in and we'll build on this season.

"It was the ten-year anniversary of us winning the last trophy and that's stuff that I find really frustrating.

"We're a team that has so much promise and I'd love to be part of an Ulster team that goes on to really win things."

For now, in between rehab, Bowe is taking the opportunity to get his "head showered" with a summer break to the west coast of America with wife Lucy. And while pleased with the chance to spend their one-year wedding anniversary together in San Francisco, Bowe admits he would have relished involvement in Ireland's summer tour to South Africa.

"I'd love to be in South Africa, especially after missing out on the Six Nations. I've never toured South Africa with Ireland, I've been with the Lions and it's incredible. It's hard not to be there but I need to stay positive. At the moment that's the plan and I'll be raring to go next season."

Both Les Kiss and Joe Schmidt will be glad to hear it.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 71496.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 8th June 2016

Ireland U20s stun Wales with stirring comeback win
The Ireland U20s erased a 17-point first half deficit to claim a stunning 26-25 win over highly-rated Wales in their World Rugby U20 Championship opener.

The crowd at the Manchester City Academy Stadium witnessed an absolute classic, with tries from Ulster duo Adam McBurney (pictured) and Jacob Stockdale - just before half-time - sparkling Ireland's enthralling comeback.

Stockdale crossed again in the 68th minute, adding to debutant outhalf Bill Johnston's vital kicking haul of 11 points.

Wales, who won a first ever U20 Six Nations Grand Slam earlier this year, picked up a late bonus point try through Keelan Giles, but replacement Jarrod Evans missed the conversion from out wide on the left and Ireland stood firm for a confidence-boosting one-point victory.

Spurred on by two-try fullback Stockdale and hard-carrying, soft-offloading number 8 Max Deegan, who won the Man of the Match award, Nigel Carolan's young side deservedly prevailed on the tournament's opening night, and will have to recover quickly from this bruising battle ahead of Saturday's showdown with defending champions New Zealand.

Head coach Carolan said afterwards: "What a game! We gave them three (early) tries and it looked like an uphill battle at 17-3 but I think we regrouped and with the last five minutes in that first half, to get the maul try and then just keep possession when the clock was running down. It really just got us back into the game.

"We started the second half as we finished the first, great pressure and we got our nose in front and I thought we looked comfortable. Wales really threw the kitchen sink at us and it was great character from our guys to hold on at the end and get a huge win."

However, Ireland can ill-afford a similarly sluggish start against the Baby Blacks as Scarlets outhalf Daniel Jones inspired an early 17-point surge from Wales.

Jones miscued his first shot at the posts in the third minute, but the young Dragons' pace off the mark was evident in both defence and attack. Ireland took their time to settle and were not helped by a shoulder injury which ended prop Conor Kenny's involvement after just six minutes.

Wales built forward pressure from a scrum penalty and lineout maul, and then flanker Shaun Evans managed to scramble over for a try from a close-in ruck. Jones' conversion attempt came back off the post.

The opening quarter ended with Ireland 17-0 in arrears, Jones pulling the strings with a couple of high quality try assists. His cross-field kick allowed winger Giles to slip past Matthew Byrne on the left touchline and touch down, and then Jones countered from 40 metres out and passed for Reuben Morgan-Williams to step inside his opposite number Stephen Kerins and score to the right of the posts.

After Jones had opened his scoring account with the conversion, Ireland pressed from successive penalties in the Welsh 22 and Munster Academy member Johnston dinked a drop goal over for 17-3.

Lineout errors dogged both sides before an opportunist kick chase up the left wing from Shane Daly almost led to an Irish try. Harri Millard managed to get back in time to deny the Cork Constitution centre.

Barely a minute later, Stockdale brilliantly shrugged off Giles near the Irish posts to launch a promising counter from deep with Daly again involved, this time a shoulder-led challenge by Daniel Jones resulted in a close range penalty.

Ireland hunted for an elusive try, Andrew Porter missing out with a double movement before a subsequent maul saw his front row colleague McBurney pile over from a well-executed lineout maul.

Johnston's missed conversion left nine points in it, yet the gap was down to just two by the interval as Carolan's resilient charges swiftly pocketed a second try.

Using a penalty advantage entering injury-time and with Cillian Gallagher, Porter and McBurney all prominent up front, the ball was moved wide to the right where Conor O'Brien cut past two defenders and passed for Stockdale to finish off. Johnston added a crisp conversion with the final kick of a topsy-turvy half.

Scoreless since the 20th minute, Jones got Wales back on track with an early penalty on the resumption, although Johnston was quick to respond with a terrific strike from near the 10-metre line.

But Ireland maintained their momentum from the second quarter, with Stephen Kerins playing a key role from scrum half. An excellent catch by winger Byrne from a Johnston kick launched one of their best collective attacking spells as captain James Ryan, his second row partner Gallagher, Porter and Deegan all carried forcefully.

Welsh indiscipline close to their whitewash saw Johnston boot Ireland in front for the first time at 21-20, and some sparkling link-up play between Deegan and Daly almost led to a breakout try soon after.

The error count increased at the tail-end of a largely scrappy third quarter, although a determined Stockdale showed his ability with a fine piece of fielding and a break from his own half.

One area where Wales looked stronger was the scrum, but just when they were beginning to threaten with ball in hand, Lansdowne clubman Deegan got over a ruck ball to win a relieving 65th minute penalty.

A leg-pumping drive from Stockdale forced Wales to infringe once more at the breakdown, and it was the big fullback who completed a smashing team try just minutes later, excellent hands from Deegan, Ryan and McBurney feeding Conor O'Brien whose looped pass put Stockdale over in the left corner.

Johnston was unable to convert from the touchline but Ireland were now on the cusp of a tremendous result, matching their efforts from February's thrilling Six Nations comeback triumph away to England.

There was still work to be done, though, defending a six-point lead with just under ten minutes remaining. Wales suddenly began to look dangerous once more, bustling centre Millard punching holes with a powerful burst up the right.

Some clever distribution created the space for the nippy Giles to squeeze over by the left corner flag. With TMO input, the 78th minute score was awarded, but Evans failed with the very difficult conversion attempt.

In a tense closing two minutes, Wales tried to break out of their own half, only to be met by an unyielding Irish defence. A Greg Jones tackle dislodged the ball from Welsh hands and forced them back to their 22 before a final knock-on from try scorer Giles sparked jubilant Irish celebrations.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/14973.php#.V1fduWD2aP8
Highlights HERE

Jacob Stockdale
Fullback definitely isn’t the most natural of the many positions Stockdale is capable of playing in, but he had more than enough talent to bring him through today with flying colours.

The Ulster back kept an eye open for loose balls seeping out of rucks and that almost earned a try earlier than the turning point he created from behind his own try-line.

Stockdale showed all his power and confidence with a firm hand-off to sit Keelan Giles down and the offload that set Greg Jones away laid the platform for Adam McBurney’s try in the corner. His two tries were just rewards for some exceptional pieces of play elsewhere on the field.

Full Article....... http://www.the42.ie/ireland-u20-wales-k ... 8-Jun2016/

Craig Gilroy is aiming to give Joe Schmidt 'a little bit of X-factor' in South Africa
The Ulster wing is keen to capitalise on his opportunity to impress during the tour of South Africa.
Inpho
CRAIG GILROY MISSED Joe Schmidt’s phone call when the Ireland head coach was seeking to get the Ulster wing on board for the summer tour last week.

Naturally, he called the Kiwi back straight away to learn that he had made the cut for the three-Test series in South Africa. Of course, there were mitigating circumstances.

Injuries to the Kearney brothers and Luke Fitzgerald after a ferocious Guinness Pro12 final opened the door for Gilroy, as well as Matt Healy and Tiernan O’Halloran.

Gilroy, the only Ulster player to be named in the Pro12 team of the season, initially missed the cut. You have to go all the way back to a clash with Georgia at the Aviva Stadium in November 2014 for his last start in an Irish shirt.

The likes of Tommy Bowe, Andrew Trimble and Dave Kearney have featured heavily under the Schmidt regime. Keith Earls, Simon Zebo and Luke Fitzgerald have all seen plenty of game-time as well.

Gilroy, who scored 12 tries in 25 appearances for Ulster this season, has very much been on the outside looking in:

I haven’t played since Georgia and everyone wants to have played more, but the competition in my position is vast and you have to be that little bit better… have those ‘one per centers’ to play for Ireland. Right now I’ve put my head down and worked hard these last couple of seasons, and I feel like I’m getting the rewards for that.”

Trust seems to be a big factor in selection under Schmidt. Many felt his initial choices in the outside backs for the summer tour were based on past performances and an ability to operate under pressure within his system. Gilroy and Healy would have had every right to feel aggrieved to be left at home after their stellar campaigns.

“I think Joe does that obviously with guys who have played before and he will trust them, but at the same time he’s good at giving guys opportunities who are playing well in the league or are going well in training, and hopefully that’s something I can benefit from,” Gilroy explains.

Certainly, Schmidt asks a lot from his wingers at Test level.

“You do, and it’s good,” Gilroy agrees. “It means it will round off our game, and I hope to be able to do the stuff that I can do to maybe bring a little bit of X-factor and give Joe what he wants as well on top of that.”

Gilroy added: “He’s big in the air. He wants good aerial skills, something I’ve been working hard on back with the province. He wants stuff at the breakdown, stuff like that, not just someone who’s going to stand on the wing and wait for the ball, and try and do the fancy work; more of an all-round game.”

The 25-year-old faces stiff competition for a starting berth this month, with Earls, Trimble and Healy all part of the touring party. It’s also set to be a huge month for his Ulster team-mate Paddy Jackson. Johnny Sexton’s shoulder surgery and Ian Madigan’s decision to seek pastures new in France has given Jackson a clear shot at the number 10 jersey against the Boks.

“He’s been fantastic,” says Gilroy. “He’s been a joy to play with. It’s not just off the back of this season that I say this, I played with Jacko at school, underage level, U19s, U20s, provincially and internationally. I’ve always rated him highly. I always enjoy playing with him and no doubt if he gets an opportunity I think he’ll take it.
Inpho

“I think this has probably been his best season on a personal level. Not only was he able to deliver on the pitch physically, but he stepped up as a leader. He spoke well to us guys post-game, at half-time and he talks well on the pitch and commands the plays that he wants. He delivers with ball in hand and his kicking game has been fantastic as well.”

Les Kiss has had a major influence on Jackson’s game since he took over at Ulster after last year’s World Cup. The Australian has encouraged the young Ulster out-half to challenge the gainline and bring the province’s talented midfielders into the game at every available opportunity.

“He has and he’s done that because he knows Jacko is more than capable,” said Gilroy. “He has that smart rugby brain to make the decisions to take the ball to the line or if he decides to go himself… he’s a lot quicker than he looks.”

So, what would represent a successful tour for Ireland in South Africa over the coming weeks?

“Success for Ireland is, I think, to take it one Test at a time, to try and prepare as best we can and deliver on the pitch what we have prepared,” Gilroy concludes.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for a lot of guys. There’s a good mix. We’ve got some older, more experienced players and then we’ve got some new guys in, some guys who have never been capped before, so I think it’s a good mix and there’s a huge opportunity there.

“If you look, there were three Irish teams in our league who reached the semis and two in the final. Guys took a lot of confidence from that and there’s a lot of caps here as well. For the guys who haven’t been capped, some might be young but a lot of them are coming off the back of successful seasons… and are pretty confident.”
http://www.the42.ie/craig-gilroy-8-june ... 3-Jun2016/

Gilroy determined to seize second chance and restart his Ireland career Image
Sportsfile
It is three-and-a-half years since a fresh-faced Craig Gilroy fizzed on to the Ireland scene with a brilliant try against Argentina and appeared to announce himself as an international star.

A week previously, he scored a hat-trick in a non-cap international against Fiji including a length-of-the-field effort and when the Six Nations rolled around he was the starting No 14.

Yesterday, the Bangor, Co Down native sat by the pool at Ireland's team hotel in Cape Town and contemplated where things had gone off track.

If he features against South Africa on Saturday, which seems more likely after he was presented for media duty yesterday, the 25-year-old will win his seventh cap at Newlands.

Injury didn't help, but there has always been a sense that the Ulster ace finisher didn't quite tick the boxes that Joe Schmidt looks for in his wingers.

He faces plenty of competition for a place on the wing, but he also offers so much in terms of pace, power and finishing ability.

And, although he wasn't selected in the initial touring squad, he is hoping to make the most of this opportunity to impress the New Zealander.

"I haven't played since Georgia (in 2014) and everyone wants to have played more, but the competition in my position is vast and you just to have to be that little better, have those one per centres to play international rugby for Ireland," he reflected.

"Right now I've put my head down and worked hard these last couple of seasons, and I feel like I'm getting the rewards for that.

"It was slightly disappointing (not to make the initial squad), but it's international rugby and it's a massive standard with a lot of competition especially if you look in my position.

"But, you're always one or two injuries away and that's the case for me. I didn't have any holidays booked thankfully. I looked down at my phone and had a missed call from Joe and I phoned him back right away.

"He called me into camp, I wasn't sure if I was touring or just down for the mini-camp before we left, but then he let me know I was going and I thanked him for the opportunity.

"Obviously, I was beaming from ear to ear on the inside while trying to keep a straight face and be professional about it."

Gilroy is fully aware of what Schmidt is looking for in his wingers and believes he has improved in the necessary areas as he attempts to tick the boxes demanded of him.

"It's good, it means it will round off our game," he said of the demands from the head coach.

"I hope to be able to do the stuff that I can do to maybe bring a little bit of X factor and give Joe what he wants as well on top of that.

"He's big in the air. He wants good aerial skills, something I've been working hard on back with the province.

"He wants stuff at the breakdown, stuff like that, not just someone who's going to stand on the wing and wait for the ball, and try and do the fancy work; more of an all-round game."

Not being involved in the World Cup or Six Nations meant that Gilroy was Ulster's second most used player this season after South African lock Franco van der Merwe and he made the most of his minutes, finishing joint-top of the Guinness Pro12 try-scoring charts for the second successive season.

It's been a long campaign, but he's happy with his fitness. "On a personal level, I'm happy with how it finished; I'm happy with how I went. I'm injury-free, I still feel fresh despite it being a long season and I'm buzzing to get on this tour and looking forward to it," he said.

For a host of players, this tour is a window of opportunity and none more so than Gilroy who has a chance to resurrect his Ireland ambitions after a few years in the wilderness.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 81313.html

Craig Gilroy determined to make most of his 11th hour call-up
Craig Gilroy may have been a late addition to Ireland’s passenger list for South Africa but the Ulster wing is determined to ensure there is no hint of a wasted journey over the next three weeks.

The 25-year-old from Belfast was one of a quartet also including Matt Healy, Ian Madigan and Tiernan O’Halloran to get the call from Joe Schmidt eight days ago to replace the injured Luke Fitzgerald, Dave Kearney, Johnny Sexton and Rob Kearney on the plane for Cape Town. Now Gilroy now has a shot at a first Test appearance since winning his sixth Ireland cap against Georgia in November 2014.

“Everyone wants to have played more, but the competition in my position is vast and you just to have to be that little better, have those one-per-centers (individual actions during a game) to play international rugby for Ireland,” Gilroy said.

“Right now I’ve put my head down and worked hard these last couple of seasons, and I feel like I’m getting the rewards for that.” Gilroy’s performances in an Ulster jersey earned him a spot on the Guinness Pro12 dream team for the season and he said yesterday he had strived to improve his game and meet the exacting standards Ireland boss Schmidt demands of his wingers.

“He’s big in the air. He wants good aerial skills, something I’ve been working hard on back with the province. He wants stuff at the breakdown, stuff like that, not just someone who’s going to stand on the wing and wait for the ball, and try and do the fancy work; more of an all-round game.

“It’s good. It means it will round off our game, and I hope to be able to do the stuff that I can do to maybe bring a little bit of X factor and give Joe what he wants as well on top of that.” Doing that against South Africa, ranked third in the world, on their home turf will be a massive ask of this Ireland team but Gilroy believes the challenge of winning for the first time against the Boks away from home represents a brilliant opportunity for the squad.

“Success for Ireland is, I think, to take it one Test at a time, to try and prepare as best we can and deliver on the pitch what we have prepared. There’s a good mix. We’ve got some older more experienced players and then we’ve got some new guys in, some guys who have never been capped before, so I think it’s a good mix and there’s a huge opportunity there. It’s hard work to get here. The first part is getting here and getting the opportunity, and the second part is taking it.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 03711.html

Irish can push South Africa, but don't have what it takes to win series: Van der Merwe
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 80962.html

Ulstermen star in Ireland's thrilling opening success
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 80990.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 9th June 2016

:duh: Jared Payne expected to line out at fullback in much-changed Ireland team Image
Joe Schmidt to choose between Henderson or Dillane to partner Toner at secondrow
Necessity being the mother of invention, both Ireland and South Africa are likely to unveil much changed line-ups when Joe Schmidt and Allister Coetzee announce today their respective hands for Saturday’s first Test in Cape Town.

Schmidt will go first, at 2pm local time (1pm in Ireland), with the Boks having pushed their announcement back until 2.45pm local time to avoid a direct clash. All the indications are that the first name to be announced will be Jared Payne.

Heretofore, Payne has won all of his 14 caps at outside centre, where his organisational skills, communication and role as the team’s defensive linchpin are all highly valued by Schmidt.

But with the injured Rob Kearney and Simon Zebo ruled out of this tour, and the uncapped Tiernan O’Halloran the only other specialist full-back in the squad, it makes more sense to keep Payne at full-back, where he has been playing all his rugby for Ulster since the Six Nations, rather than Robbie Henshaw.

Henshaw has also been playing at outside centre in Connacht’s successful Pro12 run-in, and so it makes sense to keep him in midfield, whether in his normal role at inside centre or at 13.

With Paddy Jackson seemingly set to fill the sizeable void left by Johnny Sexton’s enforced absence, there would then be an argument for playing one of the Ulster centres alongside him, and Luke Marshall has been a more regular midfield sidekick than Stuart Olding this season.

Up front, the frontrow may be the one unchanged combination from the last outing against Scotland in March.

Given that Donnacha Ryan’s concussion issues have limited him to just an hour’s rugby in eight weeks, it seems likely that the fit-again Iain Henderson or Connacht’s Ultan Dillane will partner Devin Toner in the secondrow.

Tommy O’Donnell’s non-selection, attributable in large part to his wedding clashing with the third Test, ensures another change at openside, where the versatility and experience of the 14-times capped Jordi Murphy is likely to see him picked ahead of the uncapped Sean Reidy. Then again, Rhys Ruddock filled that void at short notice when Ireland beat South Africa in their last meeting in November 2014, and CJ Stander could also be moved across there.

Experienced core

After the experienced core of their side retired following the World Cup – including their trio of centurions, Bryan Habana, Victor Matfield and Jean de Villiers, as well as Fourie du Preez, Schalk Burger and both Jannie and Bismarck du Plessis – the relative callowness of the Springboks’ team will revive echoes of Jake White’s first selection, also at home to Ireland, in 2004.

The hard-running and sniping Faf de Klerk is expected to be handed his debut at scrumhalf, with Elton Jantjies’s recovery from a broken finger assisted by a protective brace likely to keep him on the bench behind Pat Lambie at outhalf.

The in-form and lightening quick Lions’ outside centre Lionel Mapoe is expected to make his first start after a two-minute cameo against the All Blacks last year alongside Damian de Allende.

But the back three of JP Pietersen, Willie le Roux and Lwazi Mvovo are all survivors from the World Cup.

The same is also liable to be true of their entire starting pack, and conceivably including six of the forwards who started their 20-18 semi-final defeat to New Zealand at the World Cup.

The exceptions could be newly named captain Adriaan Strauss and, if picked, Siya Kolisi. Lock Pieter-Steph du Toit is expected to be named on the bench after returning to full training this week despite being ruled out for a month with a hamstring strain scarcely a week ago.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2677509

Jackson set to get the nod as Schmidt searches for right balance Image
Paddy Jackson looks set to start at out-half for Ireland against South Africa on Saturday but a number of key selections remain unclear ahead of Joe Schmidt's team announcement this afternoon.

In particular, the make-up of the back five of the scrum and the decision on who will play at full-back at Newlands are the biggest talking points as the New Zealander makes up his mind whether to break up his preferred midfield partnership in order to fill the gap left by Rob Kearney and Simon Zebo's absences.

It would be a major shock if Jackson did not partner Conor Murray at half-back, given he was selected ahead of Ian Madigan for the squad before Johnny Sexton got injured, and Schmidt may opt to pair his Ulster team-mates Luke Marshall and Jared Payne in the centre.

That would mean Robbie Henshaw moving to full-back, with Andrew Trimble and Keith Earls expected to line up on the wings.

Up front, Schmidt is almost certainly going to opt for the experienced trio of Jack McGrath, Rory Best and Mike Ross in the front-row, with Devin Toner also nailed on for a berth in the second-row.

Deploy

The make-up of the rest of the pack will be interesting, with some suggestion he could start Ultan Dillane for the first time and deploy Iain Henderson on the blindside. That would see CJ Stander switch to the openside, with Jamie Heaslip at No 8.

Another option would be to keep Dillane on the bench, with Rhys Ruddock or Jordi Murphy coming into the No 7 shirt as Stander remains at No 6.

Richardt Strauss could edge Sean Cronin to a place on the bench, while Finlay Bealham and Tadhg Furlong are expected to cover the props; Donnacha Ryan and Ruddock could be asked to cover the second and back-rows if Henderson starts at No 6.

It will be intriguing to see if Kieran Marmion's end-of-season form has been enough to see him leap-frog Eoin Reddan, while Madigan is up against Stuart Olding for the No 22 jersey and probably edges it due to his goal-kicking ability.

Craig Gilroy could be a surprise choice to cover the last position on the bench, with Henshaw able to move into the centre if needs be.

South Africa name their team 45 minutes after Ireland, with Pat Lambie expected to get the nod at out-half.

Meanwhile, a planned protest at the Cape Town venue has been called off after the South African rugby union and the ANC's Youth League reached an agreement yesterday.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 84737.html

The42 Rugby Show: Eddie O'Sullivan joins Murray Kinsella to preview Ireland's South Africa tour Image
View HERE

Craig Gilroy backs Paddy Jackson to rise to the occasion for Ireland
Ulster wing Craig Gilroy is backing provincial team-mate Paddy Jackson to rise to the occasion when Ireland tackle South Africa in the first Test at Newlands on Saturday.

Jackson is favourite to fill the void at fly-half left by Johnny Sexton’s shoulder injury against the Springboks, having been selected ahead of Ian Madigan for the three-Test tour.

While Madigan was called up when Sexton’s surgery was confirmed last week, it appears likely that Jackson will be handed the number 10 shirt for the first time since the World Cup warm-up game against Wales last August.

The 24-year-old has been a regular squad member under Joe Schmidt, but Madigan has been the preferred back-up to Sexton in the last two seasons, starting last year’s World Cup quarter-final defeat to Argentina.

Meanwhile, Jackson has grown in stature under Les Kiss at Ulster and was a central figure in their season.

Gilroy believes that his old schoolmate is ready to step up to the challenge of the first Test in Cape Town.

“He’s been fantastic. He’s been a joy to play with,” he said.

“It’s not just off the back of this season that I say this, I played with Jacko at school, underage level, under-19s, under-20s, provincially and internationally.

“He’s a joy to play with, I’ve always rated him so highly. I always enjoy playing with him and no doubt if he gets an opportunity I think he’ll take it.

“I think this has probably been his best season on a personal level.

“Not only was he able to deliver on the pitch physically, but he stepped up as a leader. He spoke well to us guys post-game, at half-time and he talks well on the pitch and commands the plays that he wants.

“He delivers with ball-in-hand, his kicking game has been fantastic as well.

“Les knows Jack is more than capable.

“He has that smart rugby brain to make the decisions to take the ball to the line or if he decides to go himself, do you know what he’s a tight wee man and he’s a lot quicker than he looks.

“He’s hard, Jacko. Sometimes he has a laugh at himself, but he’ll get down to the nitty-gritty stuff and put his body on the line.”

Jackson made his international debut as a 20-year-old against Scotland during the 2013 Six Nations and has collected 13 caps since then.

Ireland assistant coach Simon Easterby has also seen the growth in Jackson’s maturity over the course of the last season.

“Spending time with Paddy, (I’ve noticed) his game is growing and that leadership is improving,” he said.

“I was up at the Toulouse game during the European Cup. He carried flat to the line, his distribution was excellent, his kicking skills were good.

“He’s getting a real good balance to his game and I think he’s had time in the squad to look at what Johnny does and how he approaches it, but he’s got to be himself and he’s got to put his own stamp on it.

“Like Mads, they both have the ability to play really flat and challenge the defence.”

but they also have the ability to play the percentage game.”

While losing Sexton is an undoubted blow for Ireland’s hopes of beating the Springboks in South Africa for the first time, Easterby is hoping his understudies perform and put pressure on the Lions out-half when he returns next season.

“It allows us to see something else outside of what we know Johnny can give us,” he said.

“That ability for those guys to step up will go a long way in the next couple of years for their continued involvement and development in the squad and that’s only a good thing.

“It’s a real positive that we can take out of the next few weeks.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-7422390

URTV: The rundown on the team's top performers in the gym
Strength and conditioning coach Kev Geary discusses what Ulster look for in an athlete and who ranked at the top in the 2015/16 season.
View HERE
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 9th June 2016

PART II

:roll:

Payne's 'experience and freshness' key to fullback call - Joe Schmidt
http://www.the42.ie/joe-schmidt-ireland ... 5-Jun2016/

Payne at fullback for Ireland as Schmidt hands 12 shirt to Luke Marshall
http://www.the42.ie/ireland-team-news-s ... 2-Jun2016/

New centre combo, dynamic bench and more Ireland team talking points
http://www.the42.ie/ireland-south-afric ... 2-Jun2016/

Luke Marshall recalled for Ireland's Test against South Africa
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/36489623

Ireland get a new fullback as Joe Schmidt picks attacking line-up to secure first win in South Africa
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 86037.html

Jared Payne to make first Ireland start at 15 against Springboks
Joe Schmidt selects Luke Marshall to start at inside centre in first South Africa Test
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2678354
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 11th June 2016

Best: We want to create something special
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 91232.html

'They try to bully you, but you have to stand up to them'
Iain Henderson has no fear of South Africa as he relishes Ireland return