Jono Gibbes - New Head Coach

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Jono Gibbes - New Head Coach

Post by BaggyTrousers »

NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: Les said that the tactical approach would be different this season. I'm paraphrasing here but, he said something like "we tried playing by the numbers and it didn't work. This season we'll be playing what's in front of us."
That's as close as I have ever heard any coach come to saying that he made a horses ass of it.
So fair play to him, he said it, but he's not going to revisit it.
He said similar after URSC AGM. IIRC - he went so far as to say - we needed to change things, but we couldn't get it to work. The new team have started to implement it for next season.
Which is the polite way of saying he fecked up big time last year
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Or a polite way or saying, we tried Doakball?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I took it as a polite way of saying-
I decided we needed to move away from Doak-ball. The coaching team could not formulate/implement this change as envisaged and so we ended up with Kiss-ball, which was worse.
The new coaching team will implement it.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
justinr73 wrote:
Brian Dunn 382 wrote:I asked about the aimless kicking. Supported by many but the worrying thing was that Les looked shocked that anyone should have thought that.
Which games last season do you think that aimless kicking was a major issue for us?
Spoke to Niall Malone after the event and he admitted he was shocked by the aimless kicking question, for two reasons (and I paraphrase);
1) All kicks are "aimed". There is only good kicking and bad kicking. Good kicking may be a well aimed and good choice to kick in the particular circumstances and well executed; bad kicking may be badly aimed and/or poorly executed and/or poor choice to kick because taking into contact or passing was the better option. A "good" kick may occur when the choice to kick is wrong, but it still results in a good outcome (eg, receiver knocks on). For him, such a kick is still a "bad" kick even if the outcome is good, as it is not based on the skill or choice of the kicker, and would usually result in a poor outcome. You take the luck when it comes, but you would still be trying to get the player to make the correct choice in future.
and
2) He suggested the questioner was harking back to 2-3 years ago when we did kick more than last season - in the era of what he knew was called "doakball". (He didn't call it Doakball, but was aware that others did).

It seemed to me that he would not have been surprised by the question a year or two back, but didn't seem to think it was valid now.
With all due respect to Mr Dunn, the adjective should probably have been 'pointless', rather than 'aimless'.

I am certain the players were aiming their kicks. The problem was with the appropriateness of the aimed kick.

Again, I felt that the players were confident they were doing what they were told, so it was the tactics/game-plan that I questioned.

Rumn seems to think I have a lack of appreciation for suggesting that, but I will concede that '... the only method to get into the opposition half is to kick the ball long.' But we didn't kick the ball long. We almost invariably AIMED for their 10m line, not their 22. Even against teams over which we had lineout and maul dominance, we opted for box kicks around the halfway line rather than putting a touchfinder behind their back 3.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:I took it as a polite way of saying-
I decided we needed to move away from Doak-ball. The coaching team could not formulate/implement this change as envisaged and so we ended up with Kiss-ball, which was worse.
I think Doak-ball was an imaginary style that never existed, it was actually Kiss-ball in disguise to move the blame when it was going wrong from the main perpetrator of the style.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:
BR wrote:I took it as a polite way of saying-
I think Doak-ball was an imaginary style that never existed, it was actually Kiss-ball in disguise to move the blame when it was going wrong from the main perpetrator of the style.
You could be right, but there was definitely a Doak-ball Plus which involved passing the ball about in our own 22 BEFORE aimlessly/pointlessly kicking it to them.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Joe out

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/41671488

What is Jono Gibbes role, I thought he was head coach?

1 minute 12 seconds
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/41671488

1 minute 12 seconds
Probably a Freudian slip but also reflecting the fact that he isn't really a head coach.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote:

1 minute 12 seconds
Probably a Freudian slip but also reflecting the fact that he isn't really a head coach.
The cynic in me would say there was nothing Freudian about it Dave, it was fully conscious.

Gibbes is letting all know he is not fulfilling the head coach role and therefore does not have the say so that a head coach would have, therefore diminishing his responsibility to the Ulster public for the shyte we are subjected to.

No shock to anyone, but he has come out and said it.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:

1 minute 12 seconds
The cynic in me would say there was nothing Freudian about it Dave, it was fully conscious.

Gibbes is letting all know he is not fulfilling the head coach role and therefore does not have the say so that a head coach would have, therefore diminishing his responsibility to the Ulster public for the shyte we are subjected to.

Think you're right.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:

1 minute 12 seconds

There is probably something in that 9, but primarily I thought the use of "forward coach" was just his way of avoiding answering a question about the health of a back that nobody at Camp Spanners wants to elaborate.

Yes, there are a lot of stories going about up to and including his future being similar to Marcell Coetzee, aka Dee Brown. I find the reports extremely worrying, just as Marcell is a huge loss up front, Girrid for me is a better fullback than Chaz & Chaz leaving didn't overly bother me with Girrid present.

Without him, we still have quality with Louis and potentially Stockcube but these guys can't play everywhere & if FOLK persists in his plans to dump Cave then if we have no Chaz and potentially no Girrid, we are getting thin on the ground for class.

That said having been in front of the media today, it appears Cave may be included this week :shock: :shock: :shock: Now I wasn't expecting that, maybe FOLK expects a hiding, just as I do, and he's thinking,"hmmmmmmmmmm, now who can I use as a scapegoat".
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:

1 minute 12 seconds

There is probably something in that 9, but primarily I thought the use of "forward coach" was just his way of avoiding answering a question about the health of a back that nobody at Camp Spanners wants to elaborate.

Yes, there are a lot of stories going about up to and including his future being similar to Marcell Coetzee, aka Dee Brown. I find the reports extremely worrying, just as Marcell is a huge loss up front, Girrid for me is a better fullback than Chaz & Chaz leaving didn't overly bother me with Girrid present.

Without him, we still have quality with Louis and potentially Stockcube but these guys can't play everywhere & if FOLK persists in his plans to dump Cave then if we have no Chaz and potentially no Girrid, we are getting thin on the ground for class.

That said having been in front of the media today, it appears Cave may be included this week :shock: :shock: :shock: Now I wasn't expecting that, maybe FOLK expects a hiding, just as I do, and he's thinking,"hmmmmmmmmmm, now who can I use as a scapegoat".

Having watched it I agree with Baggy in that it appeared like something he thought of at the time to try to avoid answer a question about Jared's future.

Maybe next week Peel will say he is not the head coach so wouldn't be the best person to ask!

Anyway, the Jared situation is very worrying for him personally of course and for Ulster, as he is a class act.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Had an angry email from Marcell this morning saying he was nobody's Dee Brown and that in his recuperation period he will be penning an autobiography, "Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart".