Jono Gibbes - New Head Coach

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Jono Gibbes - New Head Coach

Post by Snipe Watson »

therealspratt wrote:If Peel isn't indeed going to be backs coach I wonder then who is? Hopefully not Kiss absorbing the role.
No idea, but I wouldn't pay little heed to what is reported here or in most of the press who embellish stories.

Mulligan is by some way the most reliable journalist on UR.......and Ruckie of course :D

Is there another coaching announcement to come? This is not me suggesting there is by the way, but I don't recall anything being announced to say that the coaching lineup was complete.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

He was indeed announced as "assistant coach" and according to the seldom reliable BBC, "The former Wales international is expected to be responsible for Ulster's backline and also oversee their attacking strategy".

So that would appear to indicate Les as defence & DR, Jono as the forwards n& Dwayne (hate the name) as attack. Of course we have the great Niall Malone as skills and having a wee juke at filims analyst. All pretty exciting you'd think. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:He was indeed announced as "assistant coach" and according to the seldom reliable BBC, "The former Wales international is expected to be responsible for Ulster's backline and also oversee their attacking strategy".

So that would appear to indicate Les as defence & DR, Jono as the forwards n& Dwayne (hate the name) as attack. Of course we have the great Niall Malone as skills and having a wee juke at filims analyst. All pretty exciting you'd think. >EW
This is all caveated as obviously I wasn't there, but as far as I know, the BBC didn't get that direct from UR.
It has been widely reported in the press, but that means very little as you know. We also know that UR press releases are not the bastion of factual precision that they should be.
I can see the train of thought that would lead to the conclusion that he will be the backs coach, but nothing firm to substantiate it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Doak is still here.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:Doak is still here.
Thank feck

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:I get the fact that Peel has a rep as an awkward wee bugger, but I think he brings a heck of a lot to the party.
Like what Snipe ?
He is totally unproven as a coach, well he has coached a tom kite AP side.
He is with Esportif so they looked further than Lisburn..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Snipe Watson wrote:Mulligan is by some way the most reliable journalist on UR.......and Ruckie of course :D
Away on with ye you langer, I know nothing more than the next fella >EW

As far as the coaching set-up goes, while there hasn't been anything to say we're done with announcements, I think we are. Kiss as the all-powerful DoR, Gibbes the head coach that will teach our forwards to be effective big lumps (or get rid of them) and Peel an assistant coach who will take all the credit for every sidestep Charlie does.

On Peel, I wonder if he's been signed for a specific reason. It just so happens we have a rather highly rated scrum half in our Academy and one who should be joining him next season (if he doesn't it's a big mistake) - how much would they benefit from the tutelage of a former British and Irish Lion?
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Mulligan is by some way the most reliable journalist on UR.......and Ruckie of course :D

As far as the coaching set-up goes, while there hasn't been anything to say we're done with announcements, I think we are. Kiss as the all-powerful DoR, Gibbes the head coach that will teach our forwards to be effective big lumps (or get rid of them) and Peel an assistant coach who will take all the credit for every sidestep Charlie does.

On Peel, I wonder if he's been signed for a specific reason. It just so happens we have a rather highly rated scrum half in our Academy and one who should be joining him next season (if he doesn't it's a big mistake) - how much would they benefit from the tutelage of a former British and Irish Lion?
I'd say there's little doubt about it Ruckie. I was of the view that Ruan was the man to bring them on, but nobody else appeared to see the value in that. Peel had a formidable skill set as a player. There's a lot to pass on.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Snipe Watson wrote:
ruckover wrote:

I'd say there's little doubt about it Ruckie. I was of the view that Ruan was the man to bring them on, but nobody else appeared to see the value in that. Peel had a formidable skill set as a player. There's a lot to pass on.
If he is indeed capable of passing it on.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

therealspratt wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
ruckover wrote:

If he is indeed capable of passing it on.
And also if the player is fit to improve and become international quality, that's a lot of ifs
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Yeh and 7 years grooming smallp got him nowhere not even those fecking groomers from Rotherham could have done anything with smallp.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

BaggyTrousers wrote:He was indeed announced as "assistant coach" and according to the seldom reliable BBC, "The former Wales international is expected to be responsible for Ulster's backline and also oversee their attacking strategy".

I have it on reliably authority that Malone's main job is to pick the movies for the plane/bus journeys on away trips.

And he's fúcking shít at it.
It's the hope that kills you.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Every BBC groomer from the 70s and 80s couldn't fix beagle. His beagle runs cannot erase the vast quantity of brain fartage which we've witnessed. (Heh Ex....more personal abuse)
Shananananaha looks like a rabbit in the high beams, so our new SH will have no competition and no incentive to anything other than a Dave.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

I'd like to see a pre season training camp from hell with a focus on breaking players down mentally, not just testing them physically.
A three day no warning camp with no sleep, round the clock exercises, not told when to stop, swollen joints, extreme pain and fatigue, players losing their minds and on the verge of quitting camp.
Love the story of a SH squad lifting boulders 20 metres in the middle of the night for 1 hour then given a radio signal at the end to move them back.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Players will be mentally broken as soon as they are out of WiFi range.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?