Ulster v Cardiff & yes it's on TV

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

clivemcl
Novice

Re: Ulster v Cardiff & yes it's on TV

Post by clivemcl »

Cracker wrote:After watching Ulster faithfully since one man and a dog days in the 80's enough is enough. Another season of great promises but nothing achieved. Same old story for the last decade or so.
Perhaps I am now getting too old for it so sadly its carpet slippers in front of the TV next year. It all dosent just seem so bad watching from the comfort of your fireside.
Good night all.

I highly recommend
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

clivemcl wrote:
Cracker wrote:After watching Ulster faithfully since one man and a dog days in the 80's enough is enough. Another season of great promises but nothing achieved. Same old story for the last decade or so.
Perhaps I am now getting too old for it so sadly its carpet slippers in front of the TV next year. It all dosent just seem so bad watching from the comfort of your fireside.
Good night all.

I highly recommend
I'm sure a working remote is needed so you can change channel quickly when the going gets too tough
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Number 9 FFS go and tighten yer noose. A win would have made the Guinness and Tayto taste even better and if you don't enjoy an Ulster win you are on the wrong forum.
We all know our shortcomings, but Rugby is a funny aul game and no result is a given, so nobody can say with total certainty that the win at home against Cardiff, wouldn't have seen us go on and beat all before us.
We all think Sprays, the Munters and them other feckers will tank us, but you wouldn't bet yer house on it happening.
'I told ya so' is the utterance of idiots. We hope Ulster will win, we don't expect them to win every game and we'll likely bitch when we're beaten, but we still hope. That's why we call ourselves Ulster Rugby Supporters. We enjoy talking about it, bitching about it and gloating about it, that's why the game is so good.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Haven't seen the game but the result is enough. At this stage of the season with something to play for you just have to win that kind of game at home. No excuses.

No doubt we will put in a big performance before the end of the season but it's all too little too late. A very poor season. When you look at what connacht achieved last season and munster this season we are just not at the races. A boot up the hole is needed.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
namron wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:Rey Lee-Lo :
The Ulster players admired the Cardiff centre so much that they unanimously decided to award him the honour of Freedom of Ravenhill. A touching gesture, which he accepted most graciously and shared generously with his midfield mate.
Why no DC tonight ? Is He injured ?
Don't know about DC, but Joe Schmidt will have rapidly lost interest in Olding and Marshall after that shambles.
I have rather lost interest in them myself.
They have missed their natural calling - directing traffic in Bradbury Place.
The defensive system and organisation was mince. I'm sorely disappointed in Olding's general play, but he and Marshall can defend.
It's always easy to blame the coach or system. Some of their tackling attempts tonight were really poor. They were on the spot, but just did not make the tackle. But yes - the Ulster drift defence is a bit of a joke in general. Overall, our backs, apart from Pienaar, Jackson and Payne are not as good as they are built up to be. Stockdale and Lyttle provide a bit of hope for the future.
caledoniancelt
Initiate

Post by caledoniancelt »

Jackie Brown wrote:Long live the weak as dish water drift defence. Will we still be coached to constantly kick the ball away, badly? We don't know how to play rugby with the ball, we aren't very good without it either. I'm embarrassed to call myself an Ulster Supporter. Logan, Kiss, etal can go sh1te.

When Humph left we were told we were getting Kiss but we have to wait a year. Then he is arriving after WC so another season written off. Now we've had a season and actually, he's dung, possibly even worse than dung. 3 seasons of slip, sliding backwards. Meanwhile Munster and Leinster plough on, properly run from grass roots up they are both sitting pretty. In the case of Munster they've had their 'rebuilding' while we sit on our holes and talk of world domination and Jesus. Any talent and potential our boys had has been wasted.

We are a laughing stock. I'm done with it, feck em.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You couldn't have put it any better.

Burn Kiss.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

After 5 mins I realised Ulster were in for a 16 man opposition game -- Cardiff were playing so much of the game off the ball and being unpunished holding and blocking being the major offences . Then he ( the man with the whistle ,to refer to him as a referee is to misuse the word ) awards Cardiff a penalty after the dangled Ulster player incident off the ball again and while the ball is being set up for the kick goes to tick the player off -- while not going back for the penalty for the off the ball incident --- then every Ulster spectator should have realised -- Ulster were going to have to play the game with one arm tied behind their backs.

Thus the lack of intensity at the breakdown --- any hint of a breakdown offence by Ulster was going to be penalised quickly.

How he ( the man ... ) saw the first touch down by Cardiff is a serious question and unlike most refs he never went for video confirmation -- I wonder why then again I don't really .

To blame the centres is easy but the fact is that both were manning a defensive line frequently without backrow support for a variety of reasons not just a lack of pace but players being held into breakdowns being a contributing factor together with midfield mismatches .

I watched Cardiff playing Leinster and commented at that time it would not be an easy game because the nearly beat leinster.

As Baggy points out and would concur that in my opinion Cardiff dominated both territory and possession and Ulster seldom got to play the game in the Cardiff 22 and when they did in the last 10- 5 mins the first opportunity to Penalise Ulster enabled them to clear their lines.

Basically it turned out the way I expected -- I had hoped for better -- but really expected the game I saw .

A lack of Ulster possession in the opposition half , a Cardiff team who would make few errors when in possession and a referee who would make life hard for Ulster.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
caledoniancelt
Initiate

Post by caledoniancelt »

So why do Pro 12 hierarchy continue this policy of a referee officiating a match where the away team
come from the same country as him?

A quick search on Pro 12 website shows a lack of detail regarding birthplace and nationality
of quite a few of the referees but leads me to believe there is only Marius Mitrea (Italian but born in Romania)
and one Scottish referee.

Could they not use English and French referees to officiate even though the names Poite, Barnes scare me?
Last edited by caledoniancelt on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bringing the refereeing into this is avoiding the central issues.

The ref didn't cost us the win last night. Of course in any game, anyone can question individual decisions (on both sides), but all in all, last night the ref had a better game than many players.

The bottom line is that Ulster are not good enough. To start looking at the refereeing to excuse that is just plain stupid.

The discussion should be aimed at why Ulster are not good enough. Is it the players? Is it the coaches? Is it the systems? Is it the restrictions applied from outside (D4 etc)? Or combinations of any or all?

The referees have of course influenced certain things, but to suggest they are a major problem, avoids the more serious issues.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Capt How a Referee goes about his task can influence a teams performance it was a common complaint a year or two back that Ulster Failed to play the referee -- last night was one of those games were Ulster had to play the referee and did .

Unlike some he didn't make up offences but he wasn't going to miss any Ulster made and maybe over look to odd offence by Cardiff -- and did.

That said the fact is that Ulster players made several mistakes which made the game harder to win or failed to lift the pressure on the Ulster defence three come to mind quickly the lost line out -- the missed midfield tackle -- Lukes kick into touch -- and am sure there are a couple more .

There is also the fact that Cardiff are a much better side than many on this board would admit --- in possession they make few mistakes -- and have a couple of dangerous centres -- like Ulster their pack is lacking a couple of players to enable them to dominate and their wings are not an effective attack --- but they are a solid mid table team who seldom lose badly or win convincingly but put the odd result together .
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

We are a passive team who cannot take the game to the opposition except when we fall behind or suffer some perceived injustice. Something stinks about the attitude. Yes we have quite a few average players but the right attitude makes up for a lot. I believe it is coming from the training field.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Passive is about the best description at the minute. I'm becoming more bemused with Leslie by the week. Wonder if Jonno has his eye on the big gig here in a years time?
BlackStuff
Novice

Post by BlackStuff »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Bringing the refereeing into this is avoiding the central issues.

The ref didn't cost us the win last night. Of course in any game, anyone can question individual decisions (on both sides), but all in all, last night the ref had a better game than many players.

The bottom line is that Ulster are not good enough. To start looking at the refereeing to excuse that is just plain stupid.

The discussion should be aimed at why Ulster are not good enough. Is it the players? Is it the coaches? Is it the systems? Is it the restrictions applied from outside (D4 etc)? Or combinations of any or all?

The referees have of course influenced certain things, but to suggest they are a major problem, avoids the more serious issues.
Was it the drink? :stout:
I'm sure it didn't help that a significant proportion of last nights squad were on the lash from last Thursday to Sunday >burp
Highly unprofessional in my opinion but perhaps that sums up Ulster at the minute :banghead:
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Lesbian's post match interviews have become ridiculously repetitive. Feck me how many times has he told us 'There's a few things we need to work on' and 'We knew they'd play that way' ?
FFS Les give it up... only the most die-hard bakebookingsuftumer believes this shyte.
Tell it like it is...We were shyte, to many individual errors, bad team selection, failure to hold onto possession, crap pointless kicking allowed Corbin Dallas Multi-pass (Lee-Loo) the freedom of Belfast as he danced rings round us.
Best...not a good game
Hendo...wake up
AAT...not match ready
Roger...Thanks for the effort, Bye

Yes, Davis was shocking. Just before Paddy scored we had a player clothes-lined right in front of him which he acknowledged, but left it unpunished after Paddy scored. How many high tackles he ignored is anyone's guess, but we had enough talent out there to do the job. Cardiff's pack are quite formidable, but was that a secret? We had no game plan and a poor team selection on top of several of our big name players having a fairly shyte game.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

the fact is that an unawarded penalty is either territory ungained or points denied or possession unachieved .

while I hate to watch a game where a referee is whistle happy there is no doubt the way a referee goes about his task can make a game easier or harder to win .

in my view there is no doubt that the task was made harder for Ulster last night .

The photo on the back page of the Telegraph is amble evidence

Charlie is subject to high tackle with out the ball while running in support of Luke Marshall I don't remember either offences being penalised .

And the look on Charlie's face and the nature of the hold makes this most certainly a yellow card .

in order to rise above refereeing influence a team requires possession in the opposition half if one team are playing with a degree of immunity both are hard to achieve .

Ulster lacked both last night and in got no assistance from the referee in pursuit of either possession or territory .

I have no doubt that the manner Ulster had to tackle the game influenced the mistakes they made .

Referees don't have to award points to teams to influence a result just influence the way a team has to play eg defend rather than attack and Ulster spent the greatest part of the game last night defending with caution .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk