KISS OUT

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: KISS OUT

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Thanks for that Lepper, I'm going to read between the lines. >EW
lepus wrote:Les Kiss addresses the URSC -

*** This is only as far as i can recall figures as quoted may not be 100% correct but are pretty close.

1. Whole new system of play this year - "we've thrown out the playbook" - last year they played a system he referred to as mapping i.e. players will be in pre-organised and rehearsed positions on the field for numerous phases. This year the plan is to be more fluid and play whats in front of you with the hope the ball can be played wide more effectively.

Jono Gibbes said he'd take the job but said "were doing it my way".

2. The decision to overhaul the coaching setup was made 5 or 6 weeks before christmas 2016. He made the initial approach to Jono over the two clermont fixtures. He offered the post after the away game jono accepted a few weeks later. the deal wasn't revealed to D4 until it was done. Dwayne Peel was part of a 10 or 12 strong long list and impressed les the most of the 3 he took to short list. No other names mentioned. Dundon was a pick made in conjunction with jono. Niall is staying and will move into doing more skills work. The basic coaching setup will look like this :
Backs : Peel
Forwards and set piece : Jono and Dundon
Defence : Les
Skills and technique : everyone to include malone. He made reference to the fact that he didn't want coaches only focusing on "their bit" but everyone being able to make an impact across the board.

I will be interfering with things I no not much more than the average fan about.

3. Injuries were a problem last year - at most times 30 percent of the squad were injured this peaked at about 38 at one point and an unusually large amount of long term injuries 28 days + he said they had looked into this but nothing was really identified as to why this may be the case.

Easy excuse that every Ulster coach over the last 10 years could have used.

4. Rodney needs a run of games to be good apparently, treadwell arrived last year fat but has since worked it off.

Two of those we bought last season were dodgy, one Fat the other Fatter. I actually believe both can become effective at a good level, last chance saloon for Rodders, in the same boat as FOLK, shape up or ship out tubby.

5. He acknowledged we could do with a world class lock but that due to money and NIQ rules this simply wasnt possible.That Tuohy bloke wasn't bad, but we were well stocked, Franco was a durable big lump & a good lineout operator, but we prefer people with dodgy knees. Need a second row? Yer not kiddin pal.

6. Injuries - only real worry seemed to be olding as far as i can remember - they won't know where he is with his injury at all until end of july apprarently. everyone else should be in or around ready to go by start of season or first few games.

There is another player and maybe two more who will struggle to make pre-season.

7. IRFU dont tell him where to play people but do manage how long people can play for.

Now, what bullshit can I think of to answer that embarrassing question? I know, I'll brazen it out as if I pick the team without any influence. I know for an absolute fact that he has told at least one player that D4 is the reason he had to select other players before him. Nice try Les, you didn't really think we'd buy that croc'o'shyte did ye?

Thats all I can remember for now if anything else comes back to me I'll post it.
Thanks for the report. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Couple of other points from last night....

Angus Lloyd staying with Munster, they are prepared to give him a full time contract while Ulster would only offer a development contract
Colin Patterson gets a year's deal to see if he can cut it, in spite of someone saying elsewhere he was being shamefully cast aside
Scrumhalves for next season, Cooney, Shanners, Small and Aaron Cairns
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

scrum5 wrote:Couple of other points from last night....

Angus Lloyd staying with Munster, they are prepared to give him a full time contract while Ulster would only offer a development contract
Colin Patterson gets a year's deal to see if he can cut it, in spite of someone saying elsewhere he was being shamefully cast aside
Now there's a surprise, Loyd staying in Turnipstan :roll: :roll: :roll:
4 scrumhalfs sounds like a scattergun approach to see if any are worth any fecks.
What has happened Jonny Stewart, is he numbeer 5 or not worth fecks ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Stewart confirmed as in the academy according to Rocky
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:
scrum5 wrote:Couple of other points from last night....

Now there's a surprise, Loyd staying in Turnipstan :roll: :roll: :roll:
4 scrumhalfs sounds like a scattergun approach to see if any are worth any fecks.
What has happened Jonny Stewart, is he numbeer 5 or not worth fecks ?
P will be in Joe's sights now he's not held back

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Was Cairns not converted into a winger?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

So Munster have given Lloyd a full contract. I thought they didn't trust him to bench in the SDC semi final and was subsequently declared shyte. Maybe Munster couldn't persuade p to come down south. Poor Munster.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote:So Munster have given Lloyd a full contract. I thought they didn't trust him to bench in the SDC semi final and was subsequently declared shyte. Maybe Munster couldn't persuade p to come down south. Poor Munster.
Many an old man has suffered from that not just Munster..... oh er
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Thing that worries me for next season is our backup for Jacko, Sexton has more dodgy hamstrings than Ulster in total have dodgy knees yet we have a few trial and error backups in Olding, and Nelson with McCloskey as a part time kicker, it's like a club 4ths side where you let the guys pick which shirt they want and phone a few morning of the match to see if they can turn out.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Rooster wrote:Thing that worries me for next season is our backup for Jacko, Sexton has more dodgy hamstrings than Ulster in total have dodgy knees yet we have a few trial and error backups in Olding, and Nelson with McCloskey as a part time kicker, it's like a club 4ths side where you let the guys pick which shirt they want and phone a few morning of the match to see if they can turn out.
Cooney's a decent placekicker.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Rooster wrote:Thing that worries me for next season is our backup for Jacko, Sexton has more dodgy hamstrings than Ulster in total have dodgy knees yet we have a few trial and error backups in Olding, and Nelson with McCloskey as a part time kicker, it's like a club 4ths side where you let the guys pick which shirt they want and phone a few morning of the match to see if they can turn out.
Cooney can play 10 :cheers:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

therealspratt wrote:
Ok, that helps, I was not aware of that.
Rory Best
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Young cub that a few games at the start of the season can kick also.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Rooster wrote:
therealspratt wrote:
Ok, that helps, I was not aware of that.
Does it help though? As that means we are back to Small Paul at 9 Image
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Spot on Rooster. We have the sum total of 2 plausible goalkickers in our squad (PJ and Cooney) and the firmer will be away with Ireland for a fair while.

Now whilst i pray that Cooney turns put to be a good 9, that in itself would be the best present we could hope for. Goal kicking and slotting in at 10 should NOT be allowed to distract from giving him every opportunity to focus on being a decent 9.he'll also need a break every niw and then which means time off, not slotting into 10 instead of 9.

Unfortunately this has been a ticking timebomb for us since IH started going downhill. The only miracle has been that despite the horrendous injuries we have suffered over the past few seasons, PJ has remained relatively injury free.