Peter Stringer

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Peter Stringer

Post by Spiffsson »

.... is leaving Sale. He is 39 but looks fit as a fiddle. Still throws a great pass. Would not mind seeing him at Ulster for a season as a back up scrum half, now that Ruann is off and we are certainly light in the SH dept.
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Re: Peter Stringer

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

Spiffsson wrote:.... is leaving Sale. He is 39 but looks fit as a fiddle. Still throws a great pass. Would not mind seeing him at Ulster for a season as a back up scrum half, now that Ruann is off and we are certainly light in the SH dept.
If he's that good, why are Sale releasing him?
He's done and has been for a while. Of course he can still pass a ball, feck it even I can still pass a ball. He was a totally one dimensional player. His one trick was world class mind you.
There can be only one
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Colin Patterson says he's a free agent? FFS
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Too old. Great player, but just to old.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Spiffsson wrote:.... is leaving Sale. He is 39 but looks fit as a fiddle. Still throws a great pass. Would not mind seeing him at Ulster for a season as a back up scrum half, now that Ruann is off and we are certainly light in the SH dept.
We are also extremely light in the out half dept and lock dept, plus backrow (unless our crocks recover fully) and prop (at least experience wise).
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Dan Dare wrote:Too old. Great player, but just to old.
I am certainly not proposing Stringer as a long term prospect, but a man of that experience could be useful to Ulster over a season, until the SH situation gets sorted. Yes, he is old, but he is very fit and is still great at clearing the ball quickly and accurately. He has shown this year that he is capable of playing at English PL level. You think Ulster are that far ahead of Sale? I'd be interested to see Paddy perform on the end of some Stringer passes.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

He only started four matches for Sale this season. Would have been a great acquisition three or four years ago but too late now, I think.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Spiffsson wrote:
Dan Dare wrote:Too old. Great player, but just to old.
I am certainly not proposing Stringer as a long term prospect, but a man of that experience could be useful to Ulster over a season, until the SH situation gets sorted. Yes, he is old, but he is very fit and is still great at clearing the ball quickly and accurately. He has shown this year that he is capable of playing at English PL level. You think Ulster are that far ahead of Sale? I'd be interested to see Paddy perform on the end of some Stringer passes.
I hear what you say and yes he is as fit as the old Butchers dog, but with Cooney coming in and Shanahan here (as well as beagle), what would it say to them? He has only started a few games for Sale. I don't recall saying that we were far ahead of Sale as a team? We are not that far ahead of any English Premiership teams.

You could not even say that he would come here to mentor or coach them as we have Dayne Peel to do that next year. I understand your suggestion but it would be a big no for me. Mind you contact Bryn or Shane, they might go for it.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Right now, Stringer to me is a better option than any of Marshall, Shanahan or Cooney. In fact, Stringer is probably still in the top five known-IQ scrum-halves around and none of the other top four are available to Ulster. In many ways, that should be a compliment to Stringer at almost 40; it is also a serious indictment of how bad Ireland have been at developing scrum-halves. It's almost a miracle that there seem to be two around capable of playing international rugby at the moment... For a while, it looked like scrum-half was going to be the next tighthead prop!

Next season, Ulster are going into the season with no nines that are proven in the professional game. Marshall has had peaks and troughs but he's 32; he's not young; his strengths and weaknesses are known; and I doubt Peel can improve him much if 7 years of Pienaar hasn't. Marshall is a never quite of professional rugby. He's not as bad as is often suggested on here but nor he is a rounded starting 9. He never will be. Shanahan has started, what, twice for Ulster? He's looked okay but has proven nothing. Cooney, who has often been further away from Connacht's 23 than Shanahan has been from Ulster's? Ditto.

Stringer has 98 international caps and a trophy cabinet fuller than probably any player who'll be at Ulster next season. Yeah, he's 39; he's not an 80-minute-every-week player. But he's almost certainly better than anything Ulster currently have. Next season with scrum-half, Ulster's approach seems to be to close eyes and hope. Even at 39, Stringer would be a slightly better option than that.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I know Flatters talks some shyte, but he has said Sale aren't the same team without Stringer. He looks fitter than ever and he's better than Beagle. Then again, most of us are better than Beagle. Cooney is probably gonna be first choice and Shanananahaha doesn't look like he'll make the grade, so one year of Stringer wouldn't be as big a waste as £500,000 per annum on Charlie.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

I'd take him for a year.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

A lot of fawning over Stringer. I wouldn't watch a mid-table AIL level team like Sale, so I've no clue what kind of form Stringer is in. I'm surprised with the fawning on here that Munster haven't given him a year. With Murray on the Lion's tour, Duncan Williams being worse than p and Angus Lloyd declared shyte on here.

I wonder what the story with Lloyd is? Is he definitely coming back?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Stringer was cruelly underrated in his prime. I think the lack of competition for his place and the lack of variation in his play meant people kept thinking either Ireland should have a better player or that what Stringer offered was limiting to those outside him. As I said above, I think it's a sad indictment of development systems in Ulster and Ireland that he is talked about at all but I still believe he could be Ulster's best option next year.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

He's one of those players whose value is seen most by the fans of the team he is playing with, the pack and the 10. No way would lazy Ulster forwards get away with snoozing if he was on hand to organise them and ballick them as required. Paddy would love him.

That being said Ulster should have looked for him a couple of years ago.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Because we all knew a couple of years ago that Nucifecker would force our Ruan out the door because he was holding back all those great IQ scrum halfes.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.