He's more Duct Tape than man now....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: He's more Duct Tape than man now....

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cornerfleg wrote:And whole we're discussing the awesomeness of pointlessness... What the actual was that band playing during the game.... Sounded like a feckin funeral dirge.... It was gruesome....
FFFS Fleg, there was a time I thought you knew a thing or two ould hand. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The band played an old Maori anthem, "Now is the Hour", in the lyrics is a line "when you return you'll find me waiting here". Clearly specially performed on the day for the departing Ruan. Equally clearly wasted on the general hoi polloi - aka almost the entire crowd.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rocky wrote:
solidarity wrote:Normally I don't mind the band but tonight their choice of song was dreadful. A farewell lament in the middle of the match? Catch yerselves on.
Not only a farewell lament but it was "Now is the hour" which, as anyone with any rugby knowledge knows is an old Maori melody, played at the end of tours in Kiwiland.
Feck all to do with South Africa!
Before seeing this I have tried to educate those of lesser knowledge Rocky, that means more or less everyone but you & I, however in the race to be top dog, I'll tell you, yes it has bugger all to do with South Africa, but given the populace are expecting Ruan to return to live out his dotage in Norn Iron, it was the line, "when you return you'll find me waiting here" that was absolutely apposite.

My congratulations to the band for throwing it in, however as usual anything of significance is utterly wasted on the human detritus that inhabit this appalling little statelet. Many of you should know better.

For your edjumicashun, I give you the crystal clear lyric as enunciated by Forces Sweetheart, Dame Vera Lynn. It is a wistful song of farewell, love and remembrance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-jz54Mf1Ok, much beloved of the armed forces of many Commonwealth countries as well as who Rocky points out, the Maori rugby fraternity.

It's not a toe tapper I'll vouchsafe but anyone who knows a thing or two about rugby should be more than familiar with it. Perhaps some of you dunces may like to post your apology for your ignorance to the band using the medium of this forum. A valiant effort, though almost certainly doomed from the conception of their idea, I hate uninformed ignorance.

I, on the other hand, am off to pen a pompous letter of some portent, to the editor of the Times of London on an entirely unrelated matter.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Rodney's still shyte though.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Baggy would - "We'll meet again" not have been better ... or maybe "The Parting Glass" or possibly that classic ... "Feck aff Nuci yer a bawbeg"....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tighter End wrote:Rodney's still shyte though.
Most but not all evidence points that way, that is undeniable. However, most agree that Rodders Ah Fuc'k can hold up a scrum & we have also had glimpses of him having the ability to contribute more in the loose than any of our other props. That to me suggests that there is a player in there.

Sometimes a coach will come along who gets something out of players that hasn't previously been seen, I'm clinging to the slight hope that Gibbes may be that man for Rodders. Rampant optimism of course, but what else have we left? Not just Rodders of course, hopefully, he will be good for all of our forward stock and maybe find a lineout in there somewhere too. :roll:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cornerfleg wrote:Baggy would - "We'll meet again" not have been better ... or maybe "The Parting Glass" or possibly that classic ... "Feck aff Nuci yer a bawbeg"....
I seek not to judge, Fleg ........................... :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .......... simply to shine light into many of life's darker corners.

Dame Vera's rendition of Whale Meat would draw tears from a rock when considered against its original background, however, I rather like your last suggestion, catchy wee number.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

That maori nonsense was just dirge

FOLK the band

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:That maori nonsense was just dirge

FOLK the band

Indeed young Russ. Their capacity to annoy me is exponential regardless of the pkaylist. They were coming thru at annoying levels on TV in my Spanish hovel on Sat.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

That's it we need a suicide Tubist ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Sparky had a drum

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cornerfleg wrote:And whole we're discussing the awesomeness of pointlessness... What the actual was that band playing during the game.... Sounded like a feckin funeral dirge.... It was gruesome....
We were wondering the same, thankfully we are either all hard of hearing down in our wee zone or the sound does not just make it that far but no one had a clue what the feck they were playing and before you say I would know the tune if it had been audible.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I find brass bands have a melancholy sound. All right out of doors, of course - fifty miles away. Like bagpipes, they turn what had been a dream into a public nuisance.

Thomas Beecham
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

big mervyn wrote:I find brass bands have a melancholy sound. All right out of doors, of course - fifty miles away. Like bagpipes, they turn what had been a dream into a public nuisance.

Thomas Beecham
I'm a big fan of his powders :salut:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:I find brass bands have a melancholy sound. All right out of doors, of course - fifty miles away. Like bagpipes, they turn what had been a dream into a public nuisance.

Thomas Beecham
Remind me, Merv was he the powders man or the clart that ruined Britain's infrastructure closing thousands of miles of perfectly good rails.

(damn beaten to it by PWR) :lol:

Poor old band have a hard road to travel, I seldom find them uplifting, occasionally annoying but when they hit on an ideal appropriate message for the dearly departed, most have not one fecking lulu what it is, most think they've taken a wrong turn to a funeral and many are just too .................... well I'll put it this way, Russ probably thinks a bit of hip hop hippity-hop would be ideal, Fleg is probably still groovin' on Elvis & thon Snipe fella looks like a bit of upbeat Richard Clayderman would float his boat, CIMAN admittedly would be more Stones than Beetles but may have a high regard for Elton Jim, bar the lifting of gentlemen's attire perhaps. Gary, of course, would be more of a Pink Floyd man as indeed would be our dear friend Mac, who I hope is in rude good health as I've missed his morning updates on the papers, rather surprised it hasn't been mentioned in passing.

I found it deeply appropriate other than in its execution, with only they'd contracted Dame Vera to sing it, sorry Stander. >EW
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Dame Vera could have smuggled enough Semtex in her iron lung to turn the entire ensemble into a very uplifting display.
Way back when Adam was a Lance Corporal, we had a lad carried a bugle to Glens matches. He could belt out the Last Post after some prima donna has performed a triple somersault with a full twist, in an attempt to get a player booked. He sounded the old Bugle Charge from the US 7th Cavalry before kick-off and the Laurel & Hardy theme when a player performed the walk of shame after being sent off.
Apart from that and the Dambusters March, he didn't interfere and he was 100% more enjoyable than Logie's Brass Balloons.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.