Foreign Imports List

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Foreign Imports List

Post by bazzaj »

On the back of Ruans departure I see the Sunday Mail compiled a list of the top 15 Irish imports where he was ranked second to Nacewa.
The rest in order were
Elsom, Aki, Contepomi, Stander, Muller, Thorn, Botha, Langford, Tipoki, Hines, Howlett, Wright and Warwick.

Thought Justin Harrison was better than a lot of those but personally I was amazed that big Jim Williams at Munster was omitted.
I would probably would have ranked him at 1 in terms of the legacy he helped create not just for Munster but for Ireland.

Even Joelli didn't make their biggest flops list.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Foreign Imports List

Post by Russ »

Lol at Nacewa at 1

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

Elsom and Contepomi had bigger impacts that those rankings allow for imo. Aki smacks of box filling, Lam would be a better bet as an 'import'.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

The Rev made a huge impact with us on being a hard ass. He'd be right up there in my book.

Stienmetz IMHO was one of the most underrated quality players we brought in.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

No Paul Emerick?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cornerfleg wrote:The Rev made a huge impact with us on being a hard ass. He'd be right up there in my book.

Stienmetz IMHO was one of the most underrated quality players we brought in.
Steiner just got on with playing very intelligent rugby and never was greedy at the try line but would do a safe pass and let someone in the clear score, he was also a huge influence on some of our other backs throuout his time here, totally underestimated by press and punters alike because he never stood out as a flash in your face player.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Any of MW's signings?
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Elsom top for me, started a revolution in Mexico dragging their ladyboy pack up a more than a few notches.

Felipe and Ruan joint second followed by the Brennan Nacewa. Had Ruan left us with a SH option as a product of his work then he'd be top of the pile.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I know it's been done before and for some reason annoys some folk ... but compiling a team of utter imported dross always makes me smile.

Big Joe and Dave Ah Feck would be on my dream team front row.

Apart form his first half a season The Plank was a majestic waste of space, I could never ever understand why his apologists got all worked up when he was called out as a plank.

Gavin Pfister, Grant Webb, Horua - now that's a back row to make Diack, Ross and Roger look like world beaters.

I know he was injured but by feck Rob Dewey was a disaster, nearly as bad as the new Simon Mason ... Shitkosfski what a kicker eh??? Some dude called Bartholemuez or something like that also a bed blocker, like Emerick.

Compared to a team of say ...

Rev, Sexton, Afoa
Muller, Del Fava
Marcel, P3, Brosnahan

Ruan, Stieny, Ludic, Constable, Piatau, Payne and Terblanche

That pack would obliterate anything that came before them.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

ColinM wrote:Elsom top for me, started a revolution in Mexico dragging their ladyboy pack up a more than a few notches.

Felipe and Ruan joint second followed by the Brennan Nacewa. Had Ruan left us with a SH option as a product of his work then he'd be top of the pile.
Maybe it's wishful thinking but Elsom arrived at Leinster at the same time as Gibbes. Given the impact Gibbes is supposed to have had on Leinster's pack in his time there, I can't help but feel that the impact on the whole pack is falsely attributed to Elsom. I don't want to detract from Elsom's impact on the pitch during his time with Leinster, of course.

As for Warwick... >jawdrop

If we are going top 10:

(1) Contepomi; (2) Pienaar; (3) Stander; (4) Muller; (5) Howlett; (6) Payne; (7) Elsom; (8) Hines; (9) Botha; (10) Steinmetz

Elsom moves down my list because he really didn't spend very long in Ireland... Thorn was contestable for me: (1) He wasn't in Ireland very long; (2) Although he was good, he didn't play his best rugby at Leinster; and (3) He should never have bloody been there!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Possibly a bit of both regarding Elsom and Gibbes. Marcell and Gibbes? Brill city here we come.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Seem to remember a certain Stephen Ferris putting Elsom on his ass
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Neil F wrote:
ColinM wrote:Elsom top for me, started a revolution in Mexico dragging their ladyboy pack up a more than a few notches.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but Elsom arrived at Leinster at the same time as Gibbes. Given the impact Gibbes is supposed to have had on Leinster's pack in his time there, I can't help but feel that the impact on the whole pack is falsely attributed to Elsom. I don't want to detract from Elsom's impact on the pitch during his time with Leinster, of course.

As for Warwick... >jawdrop

If we are going top 10:

(1) Contepomi; (2) Pienaar; (3) Stander; (4) Muller; (5) Howlett; (6) Payne; (7) Elsom; (8) Hines; (9) Botha; (10) Steinmetz

Elsom moves down my list because he really didn't spend very long in Ireland... Thorn was contestable for me: (1) He wasn't in Ireland very long; (2) Although he was good, he didn't play his best rugby at Leinster; and (3) He should never have bloody been there!
Exactly what I was going to say Neil. :thumleft: The one that staggers me for not being included is Christian Cullen, it was the biggest signing of all time and to this day, in Ireland in terms of who & what that player could bring. Sad that injury ballixed him but he was just a magnificent player, indeed if you look at the NZ team today, he could be looked upon as more or less the prototype and would fit perfectly with the style they play today.

I'm a Jim Williams fan too, but the man who started the revolution at Munster was John Langford, boys like Clohessy & Galway, even a younger Quinlan and many others simply could not get over the professionalism of how he went about his business whilst it was still a good bit of messing for them. Langford set standards and changed attitudes.

I hate Nacewa's guts but he is a fine player & incredibly influential for Mexico.

Too many on the list are one year or less, good as Elsom was it was not Elsom that Mexico built around. On that basis I tend to agree on Ruan & Nacewa.

For me, Pienaar with 88 caps against Nacewa's 4 minutes of international rugby and subsequent refusal to countenance playing ever again for Fiji, as he chased the money, marks Ruan as comfortably ahead of Nasty Nacewa. Furthermore, of course, it doesn't count in these things but Ruan is a gentleman on and off the pitch, Nacewa is a seriously nasty clotheslining stiff arm headhunter ballix and a world class cheat, running magnificent lines of obstruction and pulling jumpers, indeed he carries all the hallmarks of an utter kunt tho' his sister did give my brother a ticket for a Heiny semi-final onest, could never make out if that makes us relatives. >EW

In short, as these lists usually are, it's compiled by an oaf who sees what Leinster have won & assumed Nacewa must be a better player. Bullshite.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Scrum 5... Rocky isn't alone in that club...
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I hope it's not forgotten that a certain Andy Ward came here for at first 6 months and after umpteen years like him or loathe him is one of the first people I'd put down as a player who gave everything for the shirt.