Where did it all go wrong?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: Where did it all go wrong?

Post by Cockatrice »

To quote Logie again ... Whatever plan we put together has to deliver Ulster being top of the pile in Ireland, Europe and indeed the world.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

At the end of the day, nobody is seriously judging Logan by being "best in the world"/world domination or whatever. A highly competitive Ulster team which is REGULARLY competing for the major trophies and winning some of them would have generally kept most people happy, together with the increased participation and more locals going on to be regulars in the Ireland team. After all, even Sarries can't claim to be best in the world and i doubt any of their fans are gurning about that.

The fact is however that we are nowhere near being on the right trajectory at the minute. Even when we were "successful" it seemed like we were going for bust with some huge signings, but doing nothing to address the chronic lack of depth. In 2012, we had a strong pack built around Afoa, Muller, Wannenburg, Ferris and Best, but scratch below the surface and we were at the likes of falloon, stevenson and macklin as bench options. I remember even at the time we had some of these big overseas players, Davy Hump stressing that for the sustainable future success of ulster rugby we had to have young local guys coming through. Whilst many have stuck their head through the door in the past 5 years or so, not one has yet become an Ireland regular. There is a case to be made for Hendy but that is about it. In the forwards it continues to be most alarming and given that we have operated pretty much all season without any decent NIQ's in the pack our lack of local talent is killing us.

The fact that we seem to be constantly lurching from one crisis to another off the pitch, through either player power (allegedly) ousting coaches or a dysfunctional coaching set up also reflects poorly on Logan and the upper layers of management.

Of course as others have alluded to there is some unknown element in terms of the role of the IRFU in all of this, but to some extent our inability to achieve success and bring on our youngsters when given some of the best NIQ's around may have also weakened our hand here.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

If only Logie had just said that we'd be brill.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Bart S wrote: The fact that we seem to be constantly lurching from one crisis to another off the pitch, through either player power (allegedly) ousting coaches or a dysfunctional coaching set up also reflects poorly on Logan and the upper layers of management.
Have the players (allegedly) ousted a coaching set up worth keeping?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

exile-fer-now wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
..........That apart I agree with much of what you say and I too would determine coaching & the internecine warfare that has been part of that scene for a long time as main reasons we are a shambles. However, I'm sure the whole House will agree with me that it is not unreasonable to say that Fit could not possibly have been unaware of that strife and has turned his blind eye to it for far too long. For a CEO to allow such nonsense to fester under his nose

.......... & not back his Head Coach ? Why give Doak the job and not let him do it ? Was Doak too popular/respected by the players ? Was Kiss just power hungry or tactical ? Or did the CEO just bottle it ? Why do we never learn our lessons - read Brian McLaughlin/Mark McCall ?

If Champions Cup final/semi-finals were failures ...... I'd take failures with an Ulster team that cares every time. Rather that than being led by a power crazed wee mercenary who is only concerned with his own reputation.
Which bit of this is the quote?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Did we let mike reid go?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Did Logan know he was being recorded? What is the position on recording AGMs and are members advised that the meeting is being recorded?

Just curious...
Polly Cotton
Novice

Post by Polly Cotton »

I don't mind minutes being taken down and recorded as such, as a URSC member I was not aware that digital recordings were being made, I do find that a bit over the top and I really do not to remember being informed that AGMs are being recorded this way. All a bit strange, I sit on various Comittee and this has never been suggested.
You may know my sister, Dot
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

It matters little if URSC meetings are recorded and if you want a side bar, you'll need to approach the bench. He was recorded in an address to a N.I.Assembly quango telling the same fairytales.
He has repeated the 'Best in The World' guff on several occasions and the only reason we don't take it seriously(Bart), is because nobody with an i.q. over 35 takes anything he says seriously.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Having considered recent articles and spoken to a couple of ex players I have concluded that I don't give a flying fook... the club is toxic and unless 3 or 4 individuals are cleared out it will continue to be so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Which ones?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Name and shame....

Logan
Kiss
Who else?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

The problem isn't just continually getting rid of people, because we bring their replacements into a 'Pub Team' setup and they slip right into that mindset. Colonel Blimp and his battalion command have yet to understand the Old Boys Brigade ethos is failing and if they can't get their heads around the PROFESSIONAL GAME, they need to do one. Until they do, we're doomed to repeat the cycle until Treviso and Zebre finish above us.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote:At the end of the day, nobody is seriously judging Logan by being "best in the world"/world domination or whatever.
You are spot on Bart, what I am judging him on is allowing a coaching farce on his watch for many years and only when another chube enters the fray .............
Kiss.jpg
Kiss.jpg (34.15 KiB) Viewed 845 times
................with both earlier combatants, does he do something about it. Even then it's only been occasioned, in my esteemed opinion, by rumbles and grumbles of public discontent, highlighted of course by my open letter, amongst other utterings by "concerned residents".

I'm prepared to give the man the credit for what he has done well and have said so repeatedly here over the years, but with that genuine well-founded criticism has to go hand in hand and this ridiculous period of open warfare amongst the coaches has been tolerated far too long. It smacks of incompetence ............... well either that or some smart ballix amongst the combatants had a dangerous dossier precluding his earlier removal. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

nonplussed wrote:Having considered recent articles and spoken to a couple of ex players I have concluded that I don't give a flying fook... the club is toxic and unless 3 or 4 individuals are cleared out it will continue to be so.
Begging yer pardon sir, is that 3/4 including the two coaches now gassed or another 3/4?

Neither would surprise me.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.