Where did it all go wrong?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Re: Where did it all go wrong?

Post by mid ulster maestro »

"The failure to kick on from that win had as its base the fact that Ulster were had problems not faced Leinster which was based round the future of Ravenhill which was undecided for years." Wah?
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

mid ulster maestro wrote:"The failure to kick on from that win had as its base the fact that Ulster were had problems not faced Leinster which was based round the future of Ravenhill which was undecided for years." Wah?
Best not to try understanding rum

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Gratifying to see a press report that calls a spade a spade and gives more authority to and reflects what we've been thinking and saying.
Yes, that was to his credit, reporting to the Dublin Nation what a useless set of wanchors live on its northern border.(maybe just a slight hint of a smirk too) I'd have given him more than 6.5 out of 10 if he'd had the balls to also name the names down Mexico way where one serious bit of damage was done to our season & another more serious one to our immediate future.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Gratifying to see a press report that calls a spade a spade and gives more authority to and reflects what we've been thinking and saying.
Yes, that was to his credit, reporting to the Dublin Nation what a useless set of wanchors live on its northern border.(maybe just a slight hint of a smirk too) I'd have given him more than 6.5 out of 10 if he'd had the balls to also name the names down Mexico way where one serious bit of damage was done to our season & another more serious one to our immediate future.
Fair point, I don't think Fanning would have the cajones for direct criticism of big brother. But in and of itself, his piece is accurate and flags up issues at a level beyond bellyaching on this board.
I would also say that the Dublin Nation knows we are a shambles. The world and his wife know that.
Another facet to this is that D4 have made much of their plan to develop and promote indigenous coaches and in 3/3 of the provinces where they have done this, it has failed with outsiders being brought in to give direction and in our case, the man sent in to steady the ship became part of the problem. That doesn't say much for the abilities of D4 to run the provinces remotely as part of their grand plan.
Did I ever mention, I'm not that impressed with the IRFU?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote: it is a typical piece of denial by Dublin who have always been envious of the Fact that Ulster were the first Irish side to win the ERC and fill Lansdowne Road winning it .
Sweet Holy Suffering Mother of Jesus, Ron'n, I suspect most down Mexico way have no memory of Ulster filling LR in 1999. I suspect Leinster finally managed to get over their jealousy in 2012 when they won the HC for the 3rd time in 4 seasons. :roll:

One of the most accurate things Fanning said was that Fat squandered what that win should have developed by parsimoniously refusing to consider actually investing to take advantage of the brief prominence. Then we replaced Fat with Fit after a worldwide search of Bangor. Frying pans & fire come to mind, as much as fit looks a decent shopkeeper, his pronouncements on the pro rugby have just been bullshit & make him appear a gombeen man.

Topping & tailing his piece with Fit pronouncements makes it quite obvious that he (& most of us in fairness) understand that much as we repeatedly struggle on the pitch, that a huge part of the problems are in coaching and absolutely beyond the rugby part of the business.

Leinster, on the other hand, has had the same man, Mick Dawson as CEO 2001 and in that time I cannot remember any grand declarations from him, despite winning 8 trophies as well as a couple of B&I Cups. Furthermore, they are a model of professionalism, apparently, top to bottom. Just compare the two - bloody impossible. Mind you, I still hate them with a passion, not jealousy, hatred. :D

Right Ron'n, tighten up and stop talking ballix. >EW

Snipe, spot on. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Where did it all go wrong?

Post by Wee Woman »

Excellent piece, agree Baggy that he should have went further and highlighted the IRFU part in this with regard to Nacewa etc.

My one big hope for next season is that Jonno comes in and tells Les to toddle off to his office to work with Bryn, leaving him to get on with coaching the team. Les needs to step away from the team as he's damaged now.

One can but hope.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

mid Ulster partly but mostly due to a lack of local first class talent.

Ulster will nearly at all times lack at least 2 two players in key positions eg either front row back row scrum half

a team can survive with a weakness on the wing for a season the second season most sides will exploit it .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

rumncoke wrote:mid Ulster partly but mostly due to a lack of local first class talent.

Ulster will nearly at all times lack at least 2 two players in key positions eg either front row back row scrum half

a team can survive with a weakness on the wing for a season the second season most sides will exploit it .

That's logic from the good old days Rum'n.
Nowadays, a weakness will be identified and exploited in real time or as long as it takes word to get down from the coaches box to the medic on the sideline.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

FFS. Get behind the team. We have a baabaas super world cup national champions final bowl 2nd leg to sell out!!!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

sometimes it can be hidden for a season or two . Both Humphreys took time to be exposed and exploited .

And it took seasons for the "fan club " to admit it they were liability rather than asset .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

rumncoke wrote:sometimes it can be hidden for a season or two . Both Humphreys took time to be exposed and exploited
Maybe it took you a couple of seasons
And it took seasons for the "fan club " to admit it they were liability rather than asset .
:shock: I missed that email.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Looking at the comments on this thread, it's interesting that Ulster fans never seem to care that you don't have a single team in the AIL Division 1A.
My club is one of the more prominent in that league and our players either have their eye on advancement to Leinster or have come back from the academy or some such involvement. The result is that we have a club structure that is pretty professional for guys who don't get paid a sausage. We play the other top clubs in Leinster and some from Munster. We will have a Connacht team in the league next season.
But there is nobody in sight from Ulster.
I would love to see Ulster having a couple of super clubs that would add to the AIL top division and provide a bedrock for your province. Without that presence, your provincial team is like a house without foundations.
The Ulster Bank AIL final recently was of the high standard that is now commonplace in Division 1A and is way ahead of the halcyon days of the AIL in the 1990s. It's the bridge to provincial success.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Nail On Head D4, but sure Colonel Blimp is dealing with it
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Wonder do Leinster AIL players get paid

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Dublin4 wrote:Looking at the comments on this thread, it's interesting that Ulster fans never seem to care that you don't have a single team in the AIL Division 1A.
My club is one of the more prominent in that league and our players either have their eye on advancement to Leinster or have come back from the academy or some such involvement. The result is that we have a club structure that is pretty professional for guys who don't get paid a sausage. We play the other top clubs in Leinster and some from Munster. We will have a Connacht team in the league next season.
But there is nobody in sight from Ulster.
I would love to see Ulster having a couple of super clubs that would add to the AIL top division and provide a bedrock for your province. Without that presence, your provincial team is like a house without foundations.
The Ulster Bank AIL final recently was of the high standard that is now commonplace in Division 1A and is way ahead of the halcyon days of the AIL in the 1990s. It's the bridge to provincial success.
They don't?