Best Ulster centre.....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Best Ulster centre.....

Post by Spiffsson »

......... I've seen all year. No doubt about it - Ian Whitten. Another stormer for Exeter today in both attack and defence to take them into the PL final.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Re: Best Ulster centre.....

Post by scrum5 »

Some on here don't rate Dizzy, but he's better than what we have in my opinion, or maybe he's just playing in a better run team with better coaches and players.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I wish both him and Steenson the best next week. It certainly helps playing in a non-toxic environment with a team that knows what it is doing and isn't chopped and changed every week..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Cockatrice wrote:I wish both him and Steenson the best next week. It certainly helps playing in a non-toxic environment with a team that knows what it is doing and isn't chopped and changed every week..
That certainly helps, but Whitten looks a different player from his Ulster days. He seems to have found a bit of extra gas, footwork, rugby intelligence and, most of all - a high level of self-confidence. He is a regular starter for Exeter now and is keeping players like Slade, Hill and Campagnaro on the bench. I have watched Exeter a lot this season and he always plays well.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

A good lad and hard worker, pleased to see him excel. When Fergus McFadden has 30 caps and Whitten has to go to Exeter for game time somethings don't add up

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

FOFM

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

When you see Darren Cave playing 12 and used as a crash ball, you know Doak and folk haven't a feckin clue. We have good centres but the system we use has fecked them over.

FOLK
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Spiffsson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:I wish both him and Steenson the best next week. It certainly helps playing in a non-toxic environment with a team that knows what it is doing and isn't chopped and changed every week..
That certainly helps, but Whitten looks a different player from his Ulster days. He seems to have found a bit of extra gas, footwork, rugby intelligence and, most of all - a high level of self-confidence. He is a regular starter for Exeter now and is keeping players like Slade, Hill and Campagnaro on the bench. I have watched Exeter a lot this season and he always plays well.
I'm pleased for Dizzy, that was his 100th Boshiership match, but let me explain. Dizzy is not better than what we've got, he has found a league to play in that suits his strengths, ironically his strength. Fair play to him, but he has done well within his limits.

This may seem like I'm putting him down, I'm not, couldn't wish to meet a more committed soul.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Ulster have been bashing it up all season and most of the last 2 with little to no success, he would fit in perfectly with UR. hence why I believe Ulster should have signed Farrell and let Olding go :duck:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
I'm pleased for Dizzy, that was his 100th Boshiership match, but let me explain. Dizzy is not better than what we've got, he has found a league to play in that suits his strengths, ironically his strength. Fair play to him, but he has done well within his limits.

This may seem like I'm putting him down, I'm not, couldn't wish to meet a more committed soul.
You are selling him short. Don't know if you have watched him much this year but he's pretty much the complete midfielder now, who can use his strength, but also make breaks, put teammates into space etc.. and is still a powerful defender. He should not be judged by his Ulster days (even then I liked him OK) and has certainly developed tremendously in Exeter, far beyond expectation (at least my expectation.)
Your post suggests that you think Ulster may have higher requirements from a player than Exeter, so that he has found a lesser niche and looks good over there, within his limits, but probably would not here. I don't think that is the case, and that he's just a bloke who has kept improving his game. At the moment, Exeter would hump our sorry arrses aff the pitch.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What is the point being made about Whitten? If he came back he would be asked to just crash ball. If big and little Stu etc. left, they would flourish in another team with proper coaching without an experimental rugby league DoR.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Would agree that he has done fantastically well, being an integral part of an Exeter side which has become one of the best sides in england in recent years. He really improved in his kast season at ulster and any time he got a chance i thought he did well. He was unlikely to dislodge the Wallace/Cave partnership at that time and more ireland caps were probably off the agenda at that time, so he made what has turned out ti be a great mive for him.

In answer to the original poster i would say he has undoubtedly been the form "ulster" centre this season. I still thnk Luke Marshall at the end of last season and the SA tour is better and that McCloskey still has the potential to be a better player and Olding offers something different. However i acceot some of that is hypothetical and we need to see them deliver that on the pitch.

Didnt want to lose him and would like to have him back, but can't see it happening. Besides, right now getting one of the leinster backrowers would be a better way to spend money.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

My vote goes to Mike Gibson but I'm too young to remember him play.

Dr Dave Irwin was a favourite of mine, no Rob Dewey but I liked him all the same.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Best is the Ulster hooker ffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Hope we're at least talking to him about playing 6