Deysel.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Binman
Novice

Re: Deysel.

Post by Binman »

Offering a 32 year old NIQ a 2 year deal: Is this consistent with IRFU policy or is this deal a SOP to placate us Nucifora loathing 'nordies'?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Cornerfleg wrote:You not rate him King ....?

He's not exactly the cleverest player ... but he's as hard as feck and with Coetzee there he should be kept in line. He will empty people! I worry that he will refuse to offload though.
32 yr old who didn't start for Munster.

If we had to sign him then why not a one year deal and look again next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

I double-hard fecker like him won't do us any harm

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I think he was on holiday at Munster and was a break glass option ... he might think differently up here (Fat Nick).
He put in some serious shifts with the Sharks ... ie he was preferred as a ball carrier over Marcel!

Pros - a hard nosed feck aff barsteward ... We really need one of those
Very fit, great engine and will empty people all day long. Doesn't believe in side steps or the like - route one snow plough.

Cons - had a bad rep in CC and S15 got a shed load of yellows and penalties ... Ryan Caldwell type level of smartness!!!
Watched him for years ... saw about 3 passes or offloads!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Given the circumstances, far from the worst signing I think Ulster could have made. But it also does seem to be a reflection of the circumstances. Doubt he'd have been anyone's first choice had this signing been made at the start of the season. Which kind of does beg the question about why it's a two-year deal...
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

kingofthehill wrote:Searching far and wide with loads of options. Image standard Ulster.

Limerick is further than Lisburn and Belfast is nicer than Limerick

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Rather underwhelmed about Deysel. He does have something going for him though - he's got twice as many working knees than Coetzee and Botha have between them.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

The games he did play for Munster he was solid and got over the gain line. As regards not being a starter as a loan player, we aren't privy to the detail of the loan as regards game time and playing IQ players first etc?

We saw what difference Marcel made in his four games allowing for a better balanced back row and guys getting to carry out their own roles rather than covering for obvious weakness at times.

I get his age profile etc but saying there could have been a better signing it's also far from the worst.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt.
:D :fleg: :red:
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Happy enough with him. Beggars can't be choosers and he hopefully will be fit for a couple of seasons. Bit harsh to say he didn't start for Munster when they have POM and CJ in the back row.

MARB
Novice

Post by MARB »

A decent signing in the circumstances. He's the sort of player we've been crying out for. Not a saft saffer in the slightest and could take on the 'enforcer' role for us. Hopefully he hates quirky coffee outlets too. I'd like to hope we're still in the market for Dom Ryan. Would like the backrow options to be Coetzee, Dom Ryan, Chad, Deysel, Reidy, Rea, Diack with break glass options i.e. Timoney et al.
"I would never bow to the knees of an opponent. I was never prepared to give second best to him and I'm sure that is the trait of a true Ulsterman."

Willie John McBride
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Neil F wrote:Given the circumstances, far from the worst signing I think Ulster could have made. But it also does seem to be a reflection of the circumstances. Doubt he'd have been anyone's first choice had this signing been made at the start of the season. Which kind of does beg the question about why it's a two-year deal...
Perhaps they believe it would be harder to sign a good new player in the season leading up to the World Cup than it might be attracting a player for after the tournament. If he was on a 1 year deal we may have had to have dipped even further into the bargain basement for cover in the 2018-19 season.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote:Happy enough with him. Beggars can't be choosers and he hopefully will be fit for a couple of seasons. Bit harsh to say he didn't start for Munster when they have POM and CJ in the back row.

I thought the whole point in an NIQ was to be world class.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

kingofthehill wrote:
jean valjean wrote:Happy enough with him. Beggars can't be choosers and he hopefully will be fit for a couple of seasons. Bit harsh to say he didn't start for Munster when they have POM and CJ in the back row.

I thought the whole point in an NIQ was to be world class.

I agree but a few questions. Who else is available? Who was the last world class NIQ signed by a province apart from Charlie? The days of getting a ruan in their prime are over.

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Finally a player who adds a backbone to the pack and who will thump Hartley or any other cheap shot merchant the opposition have and while not world class he'll do for me
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:Perhaps they believe it would be harder to sign a good new player in the season leading up to the World Cup than it might be attracting a player for after the tournament. If he was on a 1 year deal we may have had to have dipped even further into the bargain basement for cover in the 2018-19 season.
Potentially but surely, in that eventuality, who Ulster could sign from the start of next season would become apparent quickly and Deysel signed on for another year? Or even a one-year contract with a one-year optional add-on if both sides agree?